What NAS do you use, Jow Forums?

What NAS do you use, Jow Forums?

Attached: TS-251PLUS-2G.jpg (1500x1500, 568K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/244596/intel-pentium-silver-j5005-catches-up-with-legendary-core-2-quad-q6600
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157621)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#Inappropriately_specified_systems
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

my desktop and nfs-server

Attached: 19e25a57.jpg (814x720, 54K)

I don't have one.

>buy shitty 2 bay NAS
>no ECC memory
>1 gbps Ethernet instead of 10 gbps
It's shit.

>buy consumer shit

Attached: 1539798370175.jpg (360x296, 33K)

>What NAS do you use
R720XD + 4 MD1200's, all full of 3TB SAS.

My old Core 2 Quad with a 12-drive ZFS array.

Raspberry pi 2 with an attached hard drive, running samba of coarse.

I plug an external HDD into my laptop every couple days to make a backup. AMA.

>Core 2 Quad
>105w TDP

You're wasting a lot of power user.

Under clocked i7-4770S on a picopsu 150W and 6x4TB ZFS (total draw is around ~40W on average)

I think I'm going to install BSD... I liked freenas for its jailed VMs but its lack of a desktop annoyed the shit out of me.

Attached: nas-desktop.png (1922x1112, 108K)

this is now a internet speed test thread

Attached: webzspeed.png (265x98, 3K)

That TDP number is a full-load figure, you brainlet. Even CPUs that old use very little power when idle. And idle is how it spends 99% of its time. I ran the numbers once, if I were to spend a few hundred bucks replacing it with something more power-efficient, I'd have to wait something like seven years for the power savings compared to the C2Q to pay off the purchase price. Just isn't worth it.

Besides, the bigger power user is the disk drives. Spun up, they use more power than the mobo and CPU. Yeah, sure, I'd love to have a glorious SSD future where everything is silent and uses almost no power. Call me when it doesn't cost a hundred dollars per fucking terabyte.

the motherboard and processor for something like a 6th gen i3 or i5 is still going to be dirt cheap enough for you to afford it easily.

Yeah it's not using 105w, but that compared to a Pentium G series at 35w, you'd be more power efficient, even at idle.

>$100 per terabyte
tfw enterprise drives cost about that much (at least where I live)

techpowerup.com/244596/intel-pentium-silver-j5005-catches-up-with-legendary-core-2-quad-q6600

If you use a 105W TDP CPU as a server, KILL YOURSELF

pic related is my "server cupboard" (literally a ventilated dresser)
>cheap Asrock itx mobo, basically an SBC with an atom
>4x gigabit NICs
>Ubuntu Server with zfsonlinux
>3*5TB data drives, 120GB SSD for L2ARC/ZIL, 32GB boot drive

Attached: AD2550RU3S3-1(L).jpg (1200x1000, 245K)

Got sick of fucking around with consumer shit and built a proper ecc ram xeon server. Only at 8tb's of raid 5 for now.

the question isn't whether it's cheap, the question is whether it's so cheap that the difference in power usage (remember, mostly idle) adds up to more than the purchase price of the new hardware within a reasonable amount of time.

At $0.10/KW-hr, saving ten watts in constant 24/7 usage saves about $8.76/yr. That's not a big upgrade budget.

I just fill my main desktop with a million drives instead of using an actual NAS.

Attached: 1460774276214.gif (360x360, 605K)

USB3 external drive plugged in to my router.

i have that board sitting in my closet. zfs runs like utter shit on it.

zfs runs like shit on everything because zfs is shit lol.

t. btrfs user

not wrong.

Been using a Lacie 4big Quadra 12tb linked to my router since 2011. Still works great.

Attached: 4big12.jpg (500x351, 21K)

>btrfs
oracle is shit and everything they touch turns to shit.

>DS380 case
>poverty tier dual core haswell and ITX mobo
>$30 8 port sata controller from ebay

Attached: ds380-dimension.jpg (1140x494, 178K)

Looking at getting a QNAP TS-453Be-4G soon

Seems decent enough to transcode some stuff if needed. I got a huge plex library. Apparently it's fine if you get plex pass which then unlocks hardware encoding

>no fan filters

Attached: dirtypc-web.jpg (960x386, 66K)

Simple diligence my child.

Attached: 41R3ZAMH2bL.jpg (375x500, 22K)

Ignoring the btrfs meme, how much storage did you use with zfs on this board? Don't have the stats on hand, but it runs adequately for me. That said, I don't use encryption or any significant dedup.

what's that big blue circle

Attached: hal.jpg (600x450, 14K)

i have a shitbox that i threw freenas on and put some drives in. it's crap and i need to upgrade everything

>push for hdd sex

Don't ask.

Attached: Resist_text_message.jpg (824x659, 29K)

storage or ram? I think I have about 20TB and it's got 16gb of ram.

I had it running on a Intel N3150 (newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157621) before, cpu usage would spike when I would do local SSD to ZFS transfers. It would get into 80% usage territory with network transfers.

Now it doesn't blip on the i7-4770s, but my 1gb network has turned into a huge fucking bottleneck.

>20TB
>16gb of ram
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#Inappropriately_specified_systems

I have 15TB (13TB usable) with 16GB memory, and you certainly wouldn't want any less memory.

yeah it's a ram hog. i've heard 8gb is doable, but i had 16gb laying around from an old build for the i7-4770s.
throwing 16gb at the atom chipset didn't fix the problem though.

It has mesh filters though

My desktop with 6 drives + windows sharing

an early 2000s HP desktop PC filled with HDDs.

based and winpilled

I have 16 usable terabytes on 8GB of RAM. It's fine. Maybe it wouldn't be enough if we were running busy database servers that do tons of random I/O, but we aren't, we're hoarding animæ.

I work in a small office of 5 people. We have Qnap with 4 hard drives. And we have daily backups on an external

>Ask me anything.

What's your favorite kind of soup?

Remind me again why NAS is a thing. You waste money a box that has hard drive slots and normie-tier software to access data on it, instead of just hooking up your local storage to your main computer and use the file sharing feature of your OS free of charge.

so other devices can access the storage and data redundancy.

Did you even read the post you replied to?

An old W7 box with a lot of 4TB drives. It's an offline NAS that is woken by WOL, runs for 6 hours then shuts down on its own. It's probably on once every 12 weeks. I'm currently buying parts for the replacement NAS that will stay online.

can i ask anything?

Odroid-C1 with Samba and NFS with USB HDDs

PC uses too much power to keep on 24/7.

Also Synology/QNAP provide added features which 'just werk', such as mobile apps.

I could keep paying the extra power bill for over a decade from the money it costs to buy a 4 disk QNAP. So indeed your only justification is to buy it for the aforementioned normie-tier software. I bet you're an itoddler. You even make winbabbies such as myself look like archfags.

Rasp pi 3 + external hdd + samba share

I live in Australia with astronomical power prices, faggot.

It's only a matter of time before a spider gets you.

SGI Rackable SE3016
ProLiant DL360 G6 with SAS card and dedicated VM running ZFS and serving the datastores over samba and nfs-server

You are an idiot. Windows sharing is shit because some devices still depend on the broken SMB1 protocol. Commercial NAS are also less noisy, better form factor, less power draw and the UI is far better than Windows in every way.

Brainlets like yourself will never understand. No doubt you'll retort with some desperate attempt to reclaim your pride.

Another UI argument. Thank you for ousting yourself as yet another normie. Form factor is a completely retarded argument if you already have a PC, so is noise, you are just adding more of it with yet another device.

Custom built Windows Server 2012 R2.
12TB of redundant storage through Storage Spaces.
I can run whatever other app or service I like on it, so it's pretty flexible.
Has a low power Core i3 in there so it doesn't use a lot of power when idle, and network IO speed is pretty great.

D-Link DNS-325
Got it forever ago and put two 2tb REDs inside.
It's alright. Torrents and seeds my shit for me, runs a mumble server and serves movies and shows in my house.

>Windows sharing is shit because some devices still depend on the broken SMB1 protocol

If you have anything that relies on SMB1, you're doing it wrong.

>>Commercial NAS are also less noisy, better form factor, less power draw and the UI is far better than Windows in every way.

I use Remote Desktop to configure my Windows Server, it's like using it as a regular computer locally.
I could use PowerShell from my Windows desktop if I wanted to, but I'm not some command line faggot.
The "commecial NAS" boxes mostly use slow and clunky web interfaces, a lot of them still use off-the-shelf drives and Intel processors, so the difference in power consumption is marginal depending on how you build your own.
Running a full OS also give you far better control over the power settings, like hard drive sleep, wake on lan, etc.

>bad UI good! good UI bad!
Dennis Ritchie would laugh at how big of an idiot you are.
>Form factor is a completely retarded argument
Yes, because you're a moron who applies his own shitty standards to everyone else.

The Nvidia Shield depends on SMB1, and it's by far the best set top box for a TV.
>The "commecial NAS" boxes mostly use slow and clunky web interfaces
>Running a full OS also give you far better control over the power settings, like hard drive sleep, wake on lan, etc.
t. someone who has never used a commercial NAS

>The Nvidia Shield depends on SMB1, and it's by far the best set top box for a TV.

Not if it uses SMB1, high bandwidth content wouldn't play on that shit, SMB1 is so slow.
nVidia are beta testing SAMBA v3 support right now, so hopefully that'll change.

I use a full blown PC for my set top box, since it has a TV tuner and I can stream games from Steam, use a proper web browser when I want to.

Why would I use a NAS if I run a fileserver anyways? That would just be silly to waste power.

This + a cupboard full of backup hdds.

>nVidia are beta testing SAMBA v3 support right now, so hopefully that'll change.
Or they could just fucking add NFS support

NFS is a little old fashioned, SMB is definitely the dominant protocol.

*blocks your packets*

Attached: proliant_microserver (1).jpg (559x327, 37K)

>NFS is a little old fashioned
Yet fewer overheads and thus far more efficient.

I've been rocking my N40L since 2011
I wanted to upgrade to a gen8 for that sweet ilo port but they're expensive now, should have picked one up when they were £99 :/

The hell do you need a NAS for?

Attached: 2018-05-06_11-06-04.jpg (360x360, 35K)

Custom built low power server and something like 22TB of space. Only 7TB useable though.

odroid xu4 + smbd 4.9.4 + xts-plain64 encrypted hdds
why nfs?
not usable between different OSs unless using meh file systems
>You waste money a box that has hard drive slots and normie-tier software to access data on it
most of us diy
>instead of just hooking up your local storage to your main computer and use the file sharing feature of your OS free of charge.
then you can't sleep/turn off your main computer

Attached: nas.webm (547x94, 444K)

This piece of shit

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (992x699, 72K)

Did you buy the SAS drives aftermarket or were they included?

> odroid xu4
> no ecc ram
> 435kb/s

Attached: 1461600487763.jpg (236x252, 7K)

Synology DS218+
>2x2TB
>RAID 0
Backed up every 12 hours to Wasabi (similar to Amazon S3)

>mute button on a NAS
wtf?

Why use it in the first place?
Just get a massive fuckoff drive and use that shit. Bam, done.
I haven't even used my entire 3TB yet so idk what the fuck you guys are downloading

what the fuck do you people use this shit for? i have two friends that have one and they only use it storing movies on so they can access them from their tv/laptop/computer. i personally am OK with just using a flashdrive and waiting 20 seconds for the transfer instead of blowing money on this trash

Attached: smug_girl.jpg (759x847, 48K)

>>mute button on a NAS
>wtf?
It has a HDMI output for a television and is used as a media player.

Which I've always thought is retarded because I wouldn't want a NAS sitting with my television, but in a rack somewhere. But NAS devices like this are for retards and I suppose that's what retards want

>what the fuck do you people use this shit for? i have two friends that have one and they only use it storing movies on so they can access them from their tv/laptop/computer. i personally am OK with just using a flashdrive and waiting 20 seconds for the transfer instead of blowing money on this trash
Try waiting 30 minutes for a 60GB uhd remux to copy, eventually you might reconsider.

4K is a meme, enjoy paying more for literally every aspect of your media consumption for a barely noticeably quality increase

>what the fuck do you people use this shit for? i have two friends that have one and they only use it storing movies on so they can access them from their tv/laptop/computer. i personally am OK with just using a flashdrive and waiting 20 seconds for the transfer instead of blowing money on this trash

I own a very large physical media collection. Movies, TV/anime/cartoon series, etc. It's nice to have all my encoded copies of stuff in one location useable on any device. Granted my server has a shit load of redundancy in case of drive failure too. I also have my server hooked to my living room TV and use it to play from local storage, of from Netflix/VRV, etc. If you're a person who has less than 200GB worth of personal files, keeps 90/9% of their stuff in the cloud, and streams all their content, then an NAS/server isn't for you

>paying
Not really. If you want a new high end TV, 4K pretty much comes standard.

Dis nigga
>Slow as fuck
>Almost dead silent
>Dirt cheap
>Just werks

Attached: IMAG0214.jpg (3024x4032, 2.1M)

>4k is a meme
Ah yes. The mantra of the poor. Sorry to tell you, but UHD versions of movies offer more than just a resolution increase. Not only that, but UHD versions of movies also include the standard 1080p version of the movie in the case AND only costs $5 more than the non UHD version.

J3455 mini itx with 3 x 3TB in raid1, 5 and a half-ish TB usable. Runs Devuan ASCII

>posting your ip on Jow Forums
heh, enjoy getting ddosed and doxed

Good luck, I'm behind 8 terabytes

Are cheap consumer shit boxes acceptable if all I need is smb access to 20TB+ raid5 with as little setup time and configuration as possible.
I could try just putting the drives in my Windows desktop but both storage spaces and the new ms filesystem really fucking suck for any practical use.

I just threw hard drives into an old computer and I'm using that.
Although I plan on upgrading since it's a real server that serves real things now. Or rather, it runs VMs that are real servers. The NAS is the host.

It'll be fine. Just make sure you've got at least gigabit between your computers and the NAS. Sit that shit on a gigabit switch.

>> no ecc ram
not using memefs

Attached: nas2.webm (547x94, 380K)

My HTPC.

Attached: DSC_0061.jpg (3840x2160, 2.97M)

I've got an old computer with an i7 2600k laying around that I'm thinking of using as a NAS but either the motherboard or the CPU had a tendency to BSOD often, so it could be troublesome. I might be better off getting a dedicated NAS system.

The Remote desktop feature is really nice in Windows 10. Used to have to plug it in all the time and hook up a keyboard but now I don't need to.