Does anyone else feel satisfaction doing things from the terminal if at all possible as long as it's not unreasonably...

Does anyone else feel satisfaction doing things from the terminal if at all possible as long as it's not unreasonably difficult?

It's like the computer equivalent of leaving the plush civilization behind and doing things from scratch. It can be a little more work, but you're fulfilled in the end.

Attached: 1546230052035s.jpg (208x249, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hackerb9/lsix
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No.

No. Strive to use the best tools at your disposal.

Yes but that's not the reason why you should use CLI programs.

Wintoddlers go now.

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux not Windows.

>2019
>not using Gentoo Win32/XNU

Using text commands is easier and more straightforward than a GUI.

Quickly pick a specific image out of a folder with 100 others using "text commands".

github.com/hackerb9/lsix

You just have to title your images properly. But if you're smart enough to do that you are also smart enough to organise them into directories.

You have autism

actually looks neat, might throw that in the toolkit
doesn't always work like that, especially if you have a long sequence of images or are working in someone else's rats nest directory structure

>doesn't always work like that
If you're a retard.
>especially if you have a long sequence of images
They should be named by date as you saved them.
>or are working in someone else's rats nest directory structure
Why would you need to do that? You're grasping at straws here, faggot.

Make the folder contain 10,000.

You find the image in four or five keystrokes using vimlike globbing. Its easier, you just aren't doing anything hard enough that it would actually become easier, stick to your toy gui.

I feel satisfaction when things are doing themselves on their own.

When you reach 100k and search by tags you still end up with hundreds of results, both text commands AND picture previews are needed.

>When you reach 100k
Don't do that.

Don't tell me what to do.

Attached: 1542335377589.png (367x478, 23K)

Nigger I save thousands of images, coming up with a unique name for every random image I save from Jow Forums where I can remember from the title alone exactly what image every single one is would be impossible. I do try to organize into folders though but I think most people do that once you start saving so many images.

These are legitimate use cases.. rare but legitimate. user was just suggesting situations when it's worth having a GUI on hand.

>Wintoddler
Don't you have some RGB games to play, kiddo?
Stop being addicted to memes, retard.
It's not worth it in any scenario.

They're not memes, retard

I don't care.

And here's some analysis. Searching by two tags is not viable, let alone by one. At least 3 are required to find something in a reasonable amount of time. But often there's just not enough stuff happening to tag.

Attached: 1530258297584.png (954x1080, 107K)

I win

Of course. Text is still the best UI.

Yep, go collect memes, wintoddler.

>Don't you have some RGB games to play, kiddo?
I can't even open this folder with previews on on other operating systems, let alone search it efficiently.

That's because you're a retarded wintoddler.

Sore loser.

Yep. You got me. You're epic.

I do it because it is easier.

Thanks

Both of you fuck off to Jow Forums with your baseless attacks, maybe you'll be able to entertain more people over there

Niggers

And you fuck off to /v/, wintoddler.

>tfw I haven't touched a windoge system for 2 years
baseless confirmed

Flex my i3-gaps like a boss

Sure you haven't, gamer.

The command line is a tool. It doesn't make you look cool or special.
Use whatever is most efficient to get the job done and stop wasting your time.

Honestly, for some people messing around with stuff is part of the fun with computers, as hobbyists. I think people just need to keep a little bit of flexibility and try new things instead of getting sucked into autistically doing one thing their entire life (e.g someone who would devote their entire life to ricing). You gotta go pretty deep into it to get good at it but you have to balance that with trying new things so it doesn't become your entire life (especially if what you are getting obsessed over is technically useless, if you are obsessing over something useful consider specializing I guess).

>Linuxfags can't comprehend anything more than a simple plaintext interface.
This is why, guy. Plus its the only thing that isn't broken or subpar on linux.

>Honestly, for some people messing around with stuff is part of the fun with computers, as hobbyists.
Sure, sure. But the concept of using the command line is only interesting for so long. In the beginning it might feel refreshing (given that somebody always used GUIs), but use it long enough and it loses its novelty.

You know Linux makes up more than half of all operating systems in the world, right?

You know half of the people on the Earth are below average intelligence, right?

Yeah, only gamers and pajeets are smart enough to understand Microsoft Windows, sir.

Really seems like it. TUIs have been around forever, only a retard haven't learned them by now. GUIs change all the time so you have to learn all the time.

Well, with Linux there is stuff it is genuinely very useful for, mainly for managing your system. I find it to be almost the core of Linux in terms of managing and setting up your system. I view it a bit like the "control hub" for everything. It starts to probably become a bit ridiculous once you're using it for absolutely everything (I don't understand using it for music for instance, since I find album art to be essential for setting the aesthetic for many albums).

In those cases it's likely people obsessing over bloat/minimalism/simplicity, wanting to feel like hackers, or enjoying having a bunch of i3 transparent terminal windows open and developing a workflow in those (I admit that does look pretty aesthetic and is comfy). If your hobby/job involves coding and stuff it probably gives you even more reason to feel comfortable in a terminal environment.

I never said anything against using the terminal. I say there's nothing special about using it.

>iot, routers, servers, a handful of desktops, smart appliances, etc.
So you're saying Linux is a adware infested malware ridden data collection platform, that Linux is the least secure operating system and absolute botnet.
That doesn't sound like a argument in Linux's favor.

It's just a kernel. It can be used with any other components, including malware.

>So you're saying Linux is a adware infested malware ridden data collection platform
It's a kernel.

You're just being cult inspired pedantics as normal, enjoying your binary blobs?

>multiple people correct you
>c-c-cult
Fuck off. Learn what a kernel is before you post here.

>You're just being cult inspired pedantics
What cult?

>enjoying your binary blobs?
Ok.

No.

If it is quicker to use CLI, I use CLI. Or via GUI, that. Or TUI, that.

Learn how to follow a conversation. See >Linux makes up more than half of all operating system

You're just doing what you Linux fags always do, being hypocritical lying pedantic babies. Have a juice, little guys.

As someone that's been using a fully command line system for almost 30 years, I just enjoy the ability to automate so much stuff with very little effort. Also, I hate using a mouse when I can just as easily do everything from the keyboard. The downside is that the internet is reaching a point where text based tools to do things are becoming an afterthought. They're this thing that hipster programmers make with the "i wonder if it can be done" attitude, where if it is just barely more functional than proof of concept, their work is done.

That's not wrong. Linux is the kernel used in Android, the most popular OS in the world.

Nigga the argument was "Using text commands is easier and more straightforward than GUI". How can you justify renaming shittons of files in a lengthy process of typing filenames into a CLI?
The GNU/Linux defense force on this board is just ridiculous on this board, and I'm a GNU/Linux user myself.

No, it's menial labor.

Name them when you save them.

I don't see any reason to do so when I can just sort the newly saved image into a properly saved folder. After that I can open the file manager of my choice (Protip: Don't use anything with GTK) and check through hundreds of images by thumbnail in a few seconds.

Okay, suit yourself, faggot.

I'm sorry what?

You can re-read posts, retard.

>Android Linux is delivered as the most insecure and anti-privacy operating system in the world, literally a data collection platform to spy on users.
I know, if the devices count towards os usage share those same devices also count for how secure it is.

no, im not 14 anymore