Its 2019, are this "new" barracuda drives reliable already?

Its 2019, are this "new" barracuda drives reliable already?

Attached: 6.jpg (1500x1500, 225K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=62kxPyNZF3Q
amazon.com/stores/node/5523073011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=HGST, a Western Digital Company&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_5523073011
anandtech.com/show/10497/seagate-barracuda-pro-10tb-helium-hdd-capsule-review
anandtech.com/show/12035/seagate-barracuda-pro-12tb-hdd-review
anandtech.com/show/13340/seagate-barracuda-pro-14tb-hdd-review
westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-hdd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

jewstar screw

I got a 3TB one for my new build and I'm thrilled to see how it holds up.

>3TB
It'll be dead in a month.

verbatim (made by toshiba, marketed by german verbatim co.) is reliable 3tb drive

DO NOT use seagates

Going by backblaze the only reliable Seagates are the Helium based Exoswhich have under 1% failure rates on a several thousand drive testing sample.

>hdd
>2019

That's a yikes and a cringe from me.

>buying anything but HGST/WD
LOOOOOL

No kidding, lost mine in less than a year.

>DO NOT use seagates
That's just a meme saying that is not resembling todays reality anymore.
The shitty Seagate 3TB's are sorted out since long, and Seagate hasn't made a single tabby of this kind ever since.

I am using a huge bunch of Seagates 8TB archive disks, and NONE of them has failed for me.

I have 2x Seagate 1TB drives in RAID 0 in my desktop as work space. Not a single issue. I also have 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda drives in my server in RAID 1 with no issues. Lastly I also own an Ironwolf Pro 8TB as a dedicated backup location for all my server arrays.

There is literally not a single thing wrong with using modern day Seagates.

Jow Forums is full of shills, user.

I have a box of broken HDD.

Shit not good yo.

Seagate only builds helium drives over 10TB. The 10TB have awesome afr while the 12TB a little bit less but maybe it still has to do with sample size. They've slightly changed the design from the 10tb drive going forward to 12/14tb so maybe they were cutting costs lol.

Seagate has improved a lot over the past 4-5 years and especially their helium drives seem to be just as good if not better than WD(hgst) helium drives. I wonder how toshibas helium drives would fare in terms of reliability (12tb+ only drives).
t. 10tb seagate exos user/shill

also keep in mind barracuda non-pro are SMR drives.

>Anything over 10TB is helium
What?

Attached: SmartSelect_20190101-100408_Newegg.jpg (960x1241, 231K)

What did you misunderstand? Over 10TB the drives are helium filled.

Ohh whoops. Didn't realize the 12+TB models were helping by default. They usually advertise that fact with an He marker. Huh, well no shit. That sucks.

>HGST
yes

>WD
no

I just buy yet another cheapo 1tb WD blue if I need more storage. I still have 2 sata ports to go

10TB is also helium filled. That's why I'm wondering how the hell toshiba made 10TB air filled drives. It's 8 platters I believe, pretty dang good from the japs.
It's been the same shit for years. The bigger capacity drives just all lost the HGST branding, it's now WD ultrastar and so on. Not a bad thing, bigger capacity drives and especially helium are all HGST tech.

I had an external Seagate that died within a month
Ever since I've used WD

In all my years of building PCs and using prebuilts, I have never, EVER had a drive just fail. I don't know if you guys are just apes or if I've been extraordinarily lucky (the external drive I use for my modded original wii still works 12 years later), but I've been using Western digital, Seagate, toshiba, whatever the cheapest was at the time I needed it, and never, ever had a failure. I dunno.

I had an external WD that died within a month.
Ever since i've used Seagate.

exactly!!!!!
some people seem to use them as tanks in Afghanistan or so.
I had a shit ton of Maxtors, Samsungs, Seagates and one single WD. The WD died within a month, the rest is still running. Even the super old Samsung and Maxtors are still going strong to this day.

I got exchanged the WD within 5 Days and it runs well since this day i got it also.

Same, hdds did fail for people around me though, I took one from my friend with 600 segfaults, 4 years later it still works

I was the same until I got a Seagate few years ago. That one was my first HDD failure.

Only drive I recall failing through no fault of my own was one of those thin Maxtor IDE drives I got from a dumpster, worked fine then something short circuited on it after transferring it to another build.
I think hard drive failure might simply be linked to poor PSUs and poor placement of the computer case (aka on the floor).

bought an 8TB one last year, holding up perfectly here lad

No hard drives are reliable, and brand and model can fail at any time for any reason or no reason. Back up your data.

>Seagate
>Reliable
Pick 1

>people still believe the Seagate unreliability meme 8 years after it stopped being relevant
Never had a hard drive failure I didn't expect. Either it was over 5 years old or beaten to shit with heavy IO usage.

Attached: 1447732983408.jpg (887x531, 156K)

pretty much every laptop 2.5" HDD I've owned has failed. The 3.5's will last forever though

I've had a 3TB one for 3 years and it still works.

The only realiable economy drives I have ever used were Blue drives from Western Digital.

Never had a WD blue drive fail......ever.

I have a WD blue drive from 12 years ago and recently plugged it into my sata port and it not only worked perfectly it even let me access the archives on win10 without reformatting. This was a drive running windows vista.

My failure rate with WD drives is precisely one drive, the shitty environmentally friendly ones they used to make.

Come back in another 4 years brother. Drives are designed to last 5~ years and most obviously do.

Better watch out then, the new wd blues since a few years are basically what the old eco drives (greens) were, they're not the old 7200 rpm drives that used to be in every budget build.

My 2TB barracuda from 2014 still works flawlessly

>Seagate
>Reliable
Literally the only drives that have ever failed on me or been D.O.A.

HDD power rankings
#1 WD
#2 Hitachi
#3 Toshiba
#4 Samsung
Power gap
#∞ Shitgate

There are lots of hard drives I've never had fail. The secret is that instead of looking at all your hard drives, you just pick out the ones that don't fail and then subdivide them as much as possible to get better reliability numbers.

I've had the notorious 3tb since release and remarkably she's reporting no issues. Winter 2012 I think.

>WD
>Reliable
Fuck off shill

Modern HDDs are shit-tier period as far as reliability is concerned and it will continue to get worse as HDD manufacturers attempt to use more cutting edge methods a.k.a "less reliable" in order to increase data density to fight off the growing threat of solid-state media.

yes goy don't use the hard drive brand the USA goverment uses, because we all know the cia, the nsa, the military love their crashing hard drives.

fucking hell, need a new harddrive, but everything seems unreliable as fuck
>2 year guarantee WTF
or expensive as fuck where I might as well get a fucking SSD that is FASTER AND at least 5 year guarantee.

We're talking about current drives, nobody cares about the things you used 10 years ago. Where is samsung now? Seagate used to have sad failure rates but they have recovered in the past years, as evident by backblaze stats (inb4 lol doesn't count).
It doesn't really matter which brand you buy these days as they all have similar reliability especially on the high capacity drives which are the most relevant, as only poorfags buy small drives.
wrong
buy "pro" branded drives such as RED pro, iron wolf pro, hitachi enterprise or seagate exos for 5 years of warranty. you get what you pay for.

WD Shills will defend this

Attached: WDisfuckingshit.jpg (720x820, 82K)

>b-but /v/ told me WD w-was best

Attached: WD.jpg (602x653, 46K)

Do those include WD green / the new WD Blue (aka the one that are just greens with a new sticker because the name WD green meant shit unreliable HDD)

Data centers with WD greens........................

Attached: 014.jpg (413x395, 19K)

So Hitachi (HGST) drives are best?
Looking for a 4TB for torrenting, not sure what to get bros, everyone tells me WE Reds but i dont like them for some reason, had a bad one in the past.

Well they apparently did have some at some point
>"The drives that just don’t work in our environment are Western Digital Green 3TB drives and Seagate LP (low power) 2TB drives.
>Both of these drives start accumulating errors as soon as they are put into production.
> We think this is related to vibration.
>The drives do somewhat better in the new low-vibration Backblaze Storage Pod, but still not well enough."

Just get a Toshiba X300

Their last few reports only contain the Red variants and they have phased out 3TB completely.

my 320gb hitachi from 2006 shat its bad yesterday

>Just get a Toshiba X300

Or Barracuda compute, it does not really matter.

>you get what you pay for.
An ancient mechanical contraption spinning really fucking fast, ready to catastrophically fail at any moment and take your data to the void, no matter the brand lmao
It's almost 2020 already, just get a quality SSD.

smart report of my wd green from 2009
still fuckin mint brehs

Attached: wdgreen.png (1000x440, 98K)

please retard, find us a 8 to 12TB SSD for a normal price then.

Attached: 000003.jpg (226x250, 8K)

Any low noise/cool vibrations 2.5 inch hdds?

You need to be very unlucky to even have any hdd fail in the first 5 years. The controller of an ssd can just randomly die as well. nothing is safe that's why you have multiple backups of your files. currently ssd price per MiB is considerably higher than the price of hard drives and we're talking about 20TiB or more of storage and not just 1TiB for your gaymes.
deprecated product

Sorry kiddo. Modern HDDs are complete trash in terms of reliability. They are so unreliable that RAID 6 and above are required for enterprise market. PMR murdered long-term reliability. Notice how HDD life expectancy dropped as soon as PMR had widespread adoption? Not a coincidence. It is the main reason why it was never used in the first place back in 1960s-1970s. Seagate had cut corners on their PMR implementation to save production costs which why they had several bad batches of units in recent years.

The realities of physics and economics have been catching up. It is nothing short of a miracle that we managed to get units with 2TiB+ platter working at all. HAMR, Helium and SMR are just last bastions of keeping up in the data density race.

HDDs are the going the way of tape media in the 2020s. It is only matter of time before solid-state media takes over the mainstream market. We are also going to reach a data density plateau as well.

You are wrong sweetie

"Drive manufacturers, like Seagate and Western Digital, are looking at HDD storage densities of 40TB as early as 2023, just 5 years away. It is significantly less expensive to replace lower density operational drives in a data center versus building a new facility or even building out an existing facility to house the higher density drives."

Backblaze 2018

Attached: 00000000000000003.jpg (450x450, 38K)

>SSD for storage
Complete fucking imbecile tier post.

And 100TB ssds is a thing for 2 years already.

Remind me never to use WD in my cloud server company I guess. Now back onto the topic of personal computers.

Oh shit they kept the brand name but switched the process?

So what drives are similar in reliability to the old 1-2tb WD blue drives but are in capacities of 4-6TB?

I want a pair of new 6tb drives for RAID0 now that they are in the 140-180$ range but I dont want shit ones that will fail in 6-12months.

Still way cheaper than SSD for high capacity and perfect for storing media, backups and other stuff you don't need super fast access to.

>Oh shit they kept the brand name but switched the process?
The old Green, current Blue and (non-Pro) Red are all basically the same hardware, only the firmware differs.

>bought 2
>both died
Fucking piece of shit

>HDD shareholder detected trying to cope with their growing irrelevance

Most of that capacity will be eaten up by redundancy space because most of the bloody things die in a year or so. Disaster recovery is also becoming an impossibility with SMR, helium drives and HAMR.

HDD manufacturers prefer it because it ensures that more units flowing. Solid-state media already surpass spinners in data density. It is matter of time before they do the same in per GB/$$$ ratio. Datacenters will drop HDDs en mass as soon as it becomes economical to do so.

Totally relevant video

youtube.com/watch?v=62kxPyNZF3Q

amazon.com/stores/node/5523073011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=HGST, a Western Digital Company&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_5523073011

>HGST, a Western Digital Company

Anything more than 120gb is bloat

SSD cost/GB is falling faster than HDD and SSD data densities and power consumption are already way better. It won't happen immediately but spinning drives are on their way out.

>not having enough disk space to store a single picture of his mom

Stay mad, walletlets

Fair enough, you're right.

I don't care how fast it's falling. That doesn't influence what's a good purchase today. Find me a 12 TB SSD that doesn't cost more than the rest of a reasonable PC and I'll agree that HDDs are dead.

I have a 2TB barracuda (may 2017), i want to get another HDD do i have to buy the same one to keep the speeds compatible or should I just get a WD drive?

>It won't happen immediately but spinning drives are on their way out.

NAND competes with other chips on wafer space, you must be a complete idiot to think that HDD's will be gone soon.

>2016
fucking lol

Hitachi tends to be fucking awful, and not HGST. HGST is owned by WD..

>buy "pro" branded drives such as RED pro, iron wolf pro, hitachi enterprise or seagate exos for 5 years of warranty. you get what you pay for.
like 10 years ago, I got that at a cheaper price.
The HHD from 10 years ago works fine. Yet the HHD made today, in competition with SSDs, for some reason only give 2 year warranty?!

Because a drive either fails or not. Yours happened to not fail. 12 years is quite a lot though.

>Hitachi tends to be fucking awful

Order date and time: 13 Oct, 2011, 4:21 pm
Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM - OEM 1 £91.66

Attached: 3TB.png (1051x993, 72K)

yes
HGST > Toshiba > Seagate > WD

just don't buy ANYTHING that's 3tb

>only 3 years of power up time

>Pretending that magnetic media doesn't have its own set of physical problems when attempting to increase data density

>just don't buy ANYTHING that's 3tb
why?

because assloads of them got water damage from floods a million years ago.
Also platters weren't good for that stock
just get 4tb m8

what about 1TB, 2TB?

Yes im going to store a 500GB TV show archive on an SSD, makes lots of sense.

using a 2TB as data storage in my X220 since last summer. no problems aside that it's loud as fuck but ubuntu is intelligent enough to suspend it after some time idling. go for it.

they're fine
320MB, 1TB, 4TB and 10TB seem to be the longest lasting drives that have existed

>1TB,
>seem to be the longest lasting drives that have existed
uhhhh

Attached: uhhhhhhh.jpg (662x766, 224K)

Does that make the shipping cost less? as they are lighter than say a 8gb drive?

I've had a 3TB barracuda as a system drive since last year on my 3rd pc, and the only problem I have with it is that it's incredibly slow, even for a mechanical drive.
It would be good enough for storage, but now I know that it's a terrible choice for a system drive.

Never ever buy Seagate

>PMR implementation
what's that? And how is it responsible for HDD reliability, which was one of the main features of HDD to go down the toilet?

sorry, but no, in order to balance the lift they have to put extra weights in a box so it doesn't fly away during transport,
also be sure to have your screws ready when opening the box, or at least close the windows

Seagate 10/12/14TB drives are helium and they have higher performance, 256MB caches and capacity than WD drives

anandtech.com/show/10497/seagate-barracuda-pro-10tb-helium-hdd-capsule-review

anandtech.com/show/12035/seagate-barracuda-pro-12tb-hdd-review

anandtech.com/show/13340/seagate-barracuda-pro-14tb-hdd-review

WD hasn't been relevant for 3 years now since their Black drives top out at 6TB for years now

westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-hdd

Whatever happened to Samsung hdds

ok?