Do you turn off your PC when you go to sleep or leave the house?

Attached: 2019-01-01-1546300291_279x232_.png (279x232, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/guns/go-luks-suspend
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes, who wouldn't?

I only turn off my pc if I leave my home for longer periods like for several days etc.

Nope. It's always doing something important. I was in hospital for two weeks and left my computer on updating my rss feeds

Anal.

I leave it on, i don't care about power drain and it's on sleep mode anyway.

>leave the house

Attached: 1522878513128.jpg (816x640, 58K)

No, I generally put it to sleep.

And then it generally wakes itself up without my input because Windows 10 is programmed by retards.

Yes, of course

>there are posters on Jow Forums right now who unironically use the "sleep" botnet mode, so their data can be harvested whilst they are away

Attached: laughing.jpg (600x536, 81K)

>your PC

Is this implying I only have one PC? Who the fuck only has one?

my pc is on 24/7

yes, unless it's like picking up some take-out food 3 min walk away

I do have an option to turn it on remotely and access if I please

I do have an old thin-client turned "home severer" running 24/7 though

I sleep it.

Mostly people, I'd imagine

>There are people on Jow Forums that turn off UAC.
Sure dude. Just let any random application run with elevated privileges in the background without me knowing. Fucking retards.

Attached: UAC.jpg (498x490, 88K)

>using wangblows

Why is this still permitted?

Fucking Wangblows, kek.

>wangblows
holly shit, that's epic! LOL

>wangblows
and on this day a new meme was born

I turn off my desktop when I sleep, yes. It's also off when I'm not at home, unless I'm using it remotely.

Newfags

2/10 for making me reply
all these 14 year olds

Yes.
One time my mouse moved and woke my computer while I was asleep which was proper spooky

I have an irrational fear that my PC will burn down my house if I leave without turning it off.

I do leave my NAS on 24/7 though

My PC only restarts for critical kernel updates or if the UPS gets low on juice.

My girlfriend does it for me.

It doesn't protect you from anything because the signatures can be faked.

>Mostly people
Well I wasn't expecting dogs and cats to be the only multiple-PC owning species.

Of course

Your Cron script isn't a girlfriend.

kek

Attached: 1525908803858.png (247x340, 135K)

Depends if I have something torrenting while Im out

Imagine posting this unironically

this
not even once

>people
>using windows
>there are idiots on Jow Forums that use windows

Yes

Does anyone else take out their GPU and tape it to their thigh before leaving the house? Just to play it safe haha

>Laptop
I turn it off
>desktop
I sleep it

If I feel like it

I don't go to sleep nor leave the house so idk what i would do if that were to happen

>Home server/local seedbox
On 24/7 autosnatching movies and TV
>Laptop
Sleep when not using
>Desktop
Virtually never switch on anymore, after ~8 hours a day sitting at a desktop at work. Powered down completely

doesn't booting up the computer put more wear and tear on the hardware than just leaving it on?

>laptop
>spare laptop
>old laptop
>faptop(bedroom laptop)
>old faptop
>junk laptop
>spare junk laptop
>grandmothers old laptop
>main desktop
>2nd desktop(media server\encoding machine)
>mini desktop(htpc)
>project server

2 of them never get shut down.

No, thats a car.

The ones who let it run 24/7 for no real reason just get the bills paid by mom

Yes. It idles at 90w, no reason to leave it on.

Sleep mode is fucking useless. Almost every single day I came home to my PC turned back on with "wake reason: unknown" in the event log, with the keyboard and mouse unplugged, and all Ethernet wakes disabled. Set to re-sleep after 1hr never re-sleeps. If it isn't waking it self it's rebooting itself and ruining my workspace anyway.

I just turn it off every single time.

I prefer to use suspend to RAM

That's nothing. I run Explorer and all my programs as TrustedInstaller.

Most of the time hibernate. Every few weeks I turn it off

i used to do it every night. now i keep it on for seeding.

I turn it off every night when I go to sleep.

>disdain for macusers

Of course. It takes like 10 sec from off to up and ready so why not?
Also then it's silent so I can sleep without a hurricane of fans and a couple of lights.
I've got my media server for if I want to stream shows to my laptop or phone.

is that rossman?

eh, the same principles applies. the wear and tear of turning on the system, having all the hardware boot up to optimal temps, is pretty significant for wear and tear

Yes, I've got an SSD.

yes

this

no i need to keep seeding for some private trackers autism

actually I pay for them myself since keeping a pc on 24/7 costs fucking nothing power wise

Yes.

absolute retard

no, i let it sleep and wake it up from my router if remote and in need

Not really, its only bad for cars because they are mechanical. The metal expands and shrinks as it heats and cools. Same principles don't really apply for non-mechanical parts. The only things that really move are fans and HDDs. Fans don't work in the same way, there is an air gap between the static magnets and the electro magnets so heat\shrink doesn't matter. HDDs barely heat up(30c max usually), which may or may not be enough for thermal expansion.

I shut it down, so it can cool properly. Especially the monitors.

I don't want any overnight electrical mishaps to wake it up anyway. It's safer to just shut it down. And it makes me feel better knowing I don't keep computers on all the time. I need that psychological discontinuity, much like I need sleep.

If I'm leaving the house for several days I will otherwise it runs 24/7. My previous system drive had 70k hours and still ran fine-ish.

I turn it off when I go to sleep, and put it in sleep when I leave the house.

Attached: 1473833772601.jpg (265x259, 22K)

Yeah, why wouldn't I? Shit has a 650w psu

>The state of this board
That's not how it works, user.

ive got a 1200W psu, what does that have to do with literally anything?

>starting a car causes more wear than driving it
wew lad

Its true. Also oil is lubricating everything during operation. When you cold start it, all the oil has drained away causing immediate wear.

>what is memory leak

No, I have magnet on electrical counter.

Well, I guess when he said person, he didn't mean retarded autistic one

unless it's doing something useful. that being said, four of my computers are off and unplugged, and two are on doing their jobs.

>Do you turn off your PC when you go to sleep
no, because i use that time to download/encode/render stuff
>or leave the house?
no, because i use my computer as a proxy and syncthing node, as well as for picking up files i might need from it

you must be one of those people who never throws anything away

No, of course not. The screen turns off after 15 minutes, locks after 20, and enters sleep mode after one hour.

How do you turn it on remotely?

That's nothing. I run everything within a "RunAsSystem" App.

Attached: file.png (157x17, 1K)

>It idles at 90w
>every single day I came home to my PC turned back on
>If it isn't waking it self it's rebooting
Sort your shit out.

My mum taught me to turn off everything at the power bar. Flick of the switch and everything is off, easy.

mine idles at 180w, you must have a shitty Celeron machine.

i leave my gameserver up and my linux laptop up, but turn my computer off when i remember to

Do any of you dumb fucks use full disk encryption? That shit is only effective if the machine is off. Not suspended, off.

>That shit is only effective if the machine is off. Not suspended, off.
not necessarily, some if not all disk encryption tools allow you to suspend IO to an encrypted volume, wiping keys from memory, this allows for safe suspension

I always turn my PC off at night because I foolishly bought a case fan that lights up blue.

That's the same as just dismounting, but it doesn't work for the OS volume in luks, truecrypt/veracrypt or bitlocker. You have to suspend to disk to get protection (hibernate).

I only turn my PC on for brief periods when I need to perform some kind of calculation, after which I print out the results and power everything down.

tfw I wanna seed to help out homies but all the trackers are autistic now a days to get into

Ye but I also take out my CPU to make sure no one steals cycles off of it

>That's the same as just dismounting
not true, suspending IO just causes transfers to block until it's unlocked again, the volume doesn't disappear, and existing transfers aren't invalidated
it is actually possible to do this to your rootfs, with luks, at least

I feel like the the negatives of turning a computer on/off are equal to that of leaving one on, just do what fits your needs

I've never successful done it, but it is possible to get FDE using luks with a real decrypt-on-resume then that's great. Anyone not doing that should never treat suspend as anything more than locking the session.

there are some tools like
github.com/guns/go-luks-suspend
which do this with root by chrooting to the initramfs before suspending, so it can do things like freeze io, prompt for passphrases, and unlock volumes without the need for io to the actual rootfs

I knew one kid who never ever turned off his pc.
After a year he kept complaining about his pc was lagging, and slow so he called me over to see if i can fix it.
Did the usual registry cleaner, and told him these things need a break once in a while so turn it off or put it to sleep when you're not on it.
FF 2 a month later, tells me the computer works like when he bought it.
FF a year, he gets to lazy to sleep/shutdown and same thing happens again.
Computers are beings to guys stop being assholes to them. Everything needs their sleep, except this shitty shitsung phone, which i havent turned off in like 4 months hahahahhahahahhahahahahahahhaha but seriously the startup wear and tear arfuement lol that's cars not a record player, and since everyone runs ssds now it shouldn't even matter.