Is Anitvirus software pointless?

do you REALLY need antivirus protection software in this day and age...?

I uninstalled Avast a while ago because i got sick of all the ads and it was interfering with my network connection and during that time I explored the web with basically zero protection and haven't experienced any major problems.

Does it just boil down to just being wary of what links you click and approach certain things with common sense...?

Attached: hajime_sorayama_gynoid[2].jpg (438x592, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=qzGLCqW_wrM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's all pointless OP. Life has no meaning.

You ok man?
You wanna talk about it?

Attached: image (2).jpg (1000x988, 73K)

>antivirus
>pointless
>mfw

It's not needed for Linux and Mac OS, but that's it. If you're a Windows user, you're fucked. Literally anything you click on can have a virus.

Also, avast doesn't do anything like that. Intrusive? Not really. And it doesn't interfere with your network at all.

Install one before it's too late.

On Windows, unless you are a retard you should be fine with Defender. Only boomer shills like Carey Holzman recommend paid antivirus like Malwarebytes. On Linux, you can pretty much click any shit and the worst you'll do is probably fuck up your browser. Obviously downloading shell scripts would be bad.

What's the point?

I've been running Windows 8.1 for 5 years without antivirus software and have had no problems.

It would probably make you feel better.

Attached: image (4).jpg (285x224, 22K)

Defender is good for exes and shit, but it doesn't stop mining scripts in your browser or anything. I tend to run into a lot of malicious JavaScript shit online, so I'd recommend antivirus for that.

Aren't there mining blocker extensions specifically for those kinds of scripts available...?

Seems kind of redundant to install separate software if you can have it installed in whatever browser you use.

Not that I'm aware of. If there is though, and they have a wider database, then I'd switch in an instant.

Minerblock is available for chrome and Firefox

Thanks fag.

But, like I said, there's also other bad JavaScript shit, ain't all just mining.

Nihilism aside, it depends.

Modern AV is essentially designed to stop human stupidity.

Vulnerabilities are dealt with well enough by the browser vendors and OS updates if you have automatic updates enabled.

So their job is essentially to check everything you double click now, unlike the times when Windows had zero days falling out of its ass every week.

If you're not stupid you need no AV. The Defender one is probably good enough and is light on resources.

If you're dumb, get a more full on AV like Nod32 or malwarebytes.

Be aware any AV engine are designed by retards, often in third world countries, and themselves have their own vulnerabilities. Because they usually have a resident scanner, and file you touch will go through highly privileged code which, if it is written poorly, will result in a big ass zero day. Tavis Ormandy has called out a number over the past few years. In this sense, many AVs can actually reduce security.

such as...?

>any
many*

Windows defender is enough really
As long as you're not retarded you'll be fine

Some of them like m.youtube.com/watch?v=qzGLCqW_wrM have more malicious payloads and can actually gain access via a reverse or bind TCP session.

Basically, anything that has the ability to deliver payloads can be fucking catastrophic.

Seems pretty nasty, but also like an extremely rare virus. Never actually heard of anyone getting a RAT in my entire life.

>Windows 8
Yikes

There's always the chance of it happening. Fuck, maybe I'm just paranoid ;)

>Literally anything you click on can have a virus
This is what the linux and apple community want you to believe