OS Stereotype Thread

Here's some of mine:

>Ubuntu
These people are usually normies that act smart and cool to all their Windows friends. They are usually afraid of looking dumb to people who are more advanced. However, rarely you come across a user who is willing to learn more and further themselves, and are honest about their lack of knowledge.
>(MATE)
These people are on the verge of switching to another OS, most likely Debian or Fedora. The only thing holding them back is the fear of discomfort of switching to another OS, but if someone who knows a bit helps them, they'd probably switch.

>Debian
These people tend to be old. It's fifty-fifty split between crazy GNU RMS kinds of people and chill and cool guys. The RMS clones tend to not know a lot about their OS, and uses their computer for basic tasks like checking email, browsing the web, and maybe running a web server or two with basic HTML pages. The chill and cool Debian people know a lot, and are really helpful, especially to the people coming from Ubuntu. They probably do a bit of programming in Python, C, or C++. This is the kind of person you'd want to sit and have a beer with.

>Fedora
People who use Fedora are people that don't care much about stability, or whether their software is free or not. These people aren't vocal about their love for Fedora, but they really, really like it. They probably run CentOS on their servers, and are the kind of people to donate to the open source devs.

>Gentoo
These people do not like any form of non-free blobs. These people are clean freaks as well. There's not a lot more to say.

>Pop!
onions

>Arch
Edgy teenagers wanting to become hax0rs, or people who like tweaking their OS, but don't want to spend time compiling software. The former tends to become the latter. These people are efficiency freaks, and will point out ways to make your setup more efficient. They also really like to preach minimal installations, and tiling window managers. Even the tweakers can be pretty edgy in general, too.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (333x500, 45K)

>These people are usually normies that act smart and cool
Nothing stops me to dualboot 2 totally different distro.

Attached: 1485281665513.jpg (1200x801, 208K)

>Devuan
Autistic, but competent.

What about Debian Sid users?

Fedora cares about freedom a lot if I remember, RedHat does not want to be sued for sure.

>unwarranted assumptions: the post

>Linux Mint
Too cool to use the Ubuntu, to unique to use Windows or Mac, too much of a normie to use any other OS.

>Antergos
People who want an easy to use a relatively friendly and autism-free install process and OS but who also realize the importance of continued DE and kernel updates instead of being saddled with wontfix bugs and having shitty support for new or odd hardware until they pull the bandaid of reinstalling to the new version in a year or two!

>Manjaro
See Antergos except for an extra layer of stability and easy kernel/driver update GUI!

(Steam works fine.

Attached: sleeping-lizard-rose-flower-fb.jpg (1200x631, 375K)

I use Ubuntu. My thought process is that when software companies want to offer their software on Linux, they're usually targeting Ubuntu. Therefore it has the most software support.

Attached: 127852204903775.png (859x641, 159K)

>
In regards to the character of the person using it, Antergos and Manjaro users are usually newer users who feel a little overwhelmed by the Arch installation. They are quick learners and aren't afraid to reach out for help.

>people taking stereotypes seriously: the thread

>Debian Sid
Basically the same as the Fedora stereotype. Doesn't care about having non-free packages, and isn't too worried about stability.

Isn't that like being overwhelmed by assembly? I mean, I can do it, and I'll even do it once or twice just for the experience, but it doesn't feel good, and I wouldn't subsequently unless I absolutely have to. And I never do.

As someone from any background, pick one: an installation that takes 15 minutes and ticking checkboxes or an installation that takes an indefinite period of time bound by your industriousness in the face of extreme tedium and autism?

Attached: sudo cute blob.png (550x500, 9K)

>Slackware/CRUX
Old, possibly long bearded individuals who also really know about their computers and love to stick to old unixy stuff but who are not bigots. Really cool guys though, they will help you if you ask them.

I think this picture is more like how others tend to see them.

Attached: nickel.png (197x195, 5K)

>OpenBSD
I have never met another OpenBSD user in real life. The ones on the internet are usually good at programming. Autists who are interested in security and the OpenBSD design philosophy. It is a usable OS with good hardware support. People use it for personal desktops and servers because it's not designed for clustering or hosting files or VMs so businesses don't use it. The no drivers meme is from a long time ago and only applies to gamers and corporations.

Attached: tech priest3.png (525x794, 620K)

I'm not sure what you're exactly responding to.

I agree with this. They have an architect personality.

Hello there shills, can you guess how I know you are shitposting?

RUN! We called BSD people autistic, MISSION ABORT!

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (600x761, 56K)

>OpenBSD
>OS with good hardware support
Can you be a little bit more subtle with your shitposting, please?

I was agreeing with the stereotype, and not the shilling.

Don't worry on replying to BSDshill, fuckers come from baot

This is true, from my experience. Slackware users are really cool and helpful guys who will help you simply because they want to share the joy in tinkering with computers.

Do they have unix beards?

The neck-ones?

I don't know, I've only talked to them online and haven't seen pictures of them.

The really long ones

I bet they have

I honestly would not doubt it at all.

>shill

Attached: shill.png (1919x1079, 167K)

>openSUSE
Extremely intelligent individuals with amount of muscle mass and strong chins. Their system has sane and secure default settings, and they can install any free and non-free packages from the packman repository that just work. They can manage their valuable time efficiently because they don't fuck around with compiling and breaking everything, zypper takes care of everything.

You forgot to mention they tend to be youtubers

Attached: Lunduke and the Linux Gamer.jpg (1280x720, 97K)

You fit the stereotype perfectly. Jokes about how OpenSUSE people are amazing people to compensate for their own flaws, and the flaws of the OS.

Name one cardinal flaw in openSUSE.

Installing codecs are major pain in ass. Important gui tools uses ruby.

It's unstable as all heck, and barely works with any of the hardware I own. I found this out right after I had to fix Grub for not installing correctly.

Also this

In order to install codecs, all you have to do is add the packman repo and select the packages, how hard is that?

That's true for Linux generally, I had to switch from various distros like Fedora, because it didn't work well with my hardware.

The thing is that all other distributions work perfectly with things like USB drives. It's an issue specific to OpenSUSE for me. To be fair it is an anecdotal experience, but I think it's one that rings close to home for many.

Heh, when I tried SuSE (back in 2004) it fucked up my MBR and I could no longer dual-boot.

>Debian
>tfw once a minimalist debfag, now both stereotypes but mostly shill

Attached: born_to_hug.jpg (589x589, 47K)

OpenSUSE still much more stable than "stable" debian. Installing freeipa-client in debian still crashes entire system. Apt, apt-get, aptitude still cannot resolve dependencies, if you try to install something more complicated than a lamp-server. Network-manager in i586 build cannot in routes etc etc. I never faced such a dumb bugs out-of-the box in openpepe.
In 7 years using i crashed openpepe just once: doing upgrade from 11.4 to 13.1. And even then i was able to mount external drive to save all my beloved crap w/o using any live bootable.

The reason why I say OpenBSD has good hardware support is because I've installed it on two Dell laptops and everything worked fine except one laptop required that I swap the wifi card. I've tried installing FreeBSD and the laptop's touchpad didn't work after the basic install, and I tried installing NetBSD and the install kept fucking up and I couldn't figure out how to install it. OpenBSD is surprisingly easy to install and use, and it's reputation for poor hardware support is undeserved.

Lets measure by beard

Attached: HLp8z11.jpg (604x453, 32K)