Just fucking install gentoo

I've tried basically all of the new openrc distros popping up, here's a mini review of them:
>Artix.
Shit repos, constantly have to refresh keys. Arch repos are completely built against systemd, artix' solution is shoving in some recompiled daemons that use openrc. Expect to break your system just by installing packages. works surprisingly well if you're only using rice + browser (like most larping faggots on Jow Forums) though. you'll basically be forced to use udev instead of eudev. AUR kinda works, but you have to edit most pkgbuilds.
>parabola-openrc
Absolute trash. even fucking base and base-devel will pull in systemd
>devuan
stable install works kinda ok. some deamons are completely fucking broken like acpid. ceres is a mess. Apt is still trash. installer is rigid and annoying when you want to do anything "special". Will still pull in systemd related packages and doesn't seem to use eudev
>hyperbola
actually the best of the arch derivatives, but has ancient fucking packages with no announced release cycle. Apperently uses arch snapshots so enjoy those unfixed-for-months bugs. AUR is absolutely broken because of old deps. Doesn't seem to use eudev. doesn't use blobs and filters out non-free packages so rip if you need a blob driver. just buy a wifi adaptor from the fsf for the low price for 29.99 goy.
>alpine
trash on real hardware. musl is a meme nothing will compile. no/ancient packages.
>void
the best of the binary non systemd distros. runit is too basic and has a shitty acpid approach (enjoy typing in your root pass just to unlock when resuming from suspend). Pathetic repos. only 32bit version of wine wtf. xbepis syntax is shit. wiki is sparse and can't even document it's own install process right with something as simple as an lvm+luks setup with trim support. generally you're stuck with wpa_supplicant for wifi, rip if you need networkshitmanager for uni internet. musl is still broken but at least it has a glibc version.

Attached: 2019-01-01-1546375252.png (1366x768, 814K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitea.artixlinux.org/explore/organizations
bugs.gentoo.org/674224
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration#WPA2_Enterprise
linux.die.net/man/5/wpa_supplicant.conf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>mfw take poettering dick up my ass with tumbleweed
at...at least it's not a big black dick, r-right?

>void
>rip if you need networkshitmanager
worked just fine for me, what problem did you have?

he's a medical student that is into distro hopping

Linux (OS) was just plain bad before systemd

>slackware
>uses pulseaudio
Sorry user, it's just gentoo now

I did last night and finished this morning

Attached: 5e153.png (663x446, 50K)

it's not consistent. works fine with some machines and in a vm but not with others. That's the least of void's problems though
how do you know that about me!!??!! and actually I don't like distro hopping at all. I've used arch since 2009 but it's pissing me the fuck off that I can't leave systemd-land easily.
it really wasn't. using pure alsa with dmix for example is refreshing compared to the fucking mess that is pulseaudio.
you posted as I was typing. It uses pulse by default now? I thought patrick hated redhat/ibm shit?

Attached: 2018-12-29-1546135971.png (1366x768, 826K)

good taste in musical thots.
Did it take you that long because of compile time or because of reading?

pic related is the nicest rice I've ever seen. Distro reviews sound about right. So the only options are slackware and gentoo?

compile time for the most part. I took care of the big packages while I slept.

>you'll basically be forced to use udev instead of eudev
No, Artix uses eudev. I don't know what you mean.

>AUR kinda works, but you have to edit most pkgbuilds
Only if you're trying something that needs system to build.

systemd to build*

what took the longest to build

artix just works for me, AUR works perfectly fine and so do the repos.

what are you using to display your music in the dwm bar

Firefox

some packages still pull in udev though, again arch repos are built against redhat shit for no reason and it's not like artix is recompiling anything. It's a pretty shitty approach.
*on your machine. Still, artix and hyperbola are the best of the non-systemd distros.
imagine installing rust garbage on your computer. if you're compiling your browser you might as well just go with ungoogled-chromium.

dwm rice is 100% based on your wallpaper selection

Attached: 2018-12-25-1545794058.png (1920x1080, 3.35M)

PA is apart of slackware-current now

pats on hard times, maybe he got some (((donations)))

>you might as well just go with ungoogled-chromium
Or I can keep using the browser I've been using for years.

>using tranny CoCed kernels

its shit now

Works fine here

Attached: ffe67.png (1926x1086, 169K)

I connect to eduroam just fine with wpa_supplicant on void.

>some packages still pull in udev though, again arch repos are built against redhat shit for no reason and it's not like artix is recompiling anything. It's a pretty shitty approach.
I think you're getting some things mixed up here. Artix has its own repos which are used for the critical, core, important things. Stuff like dbus, elogind and so on are all built there without systemd. The vast majority of the spooky systemd/dbus dependencies in the Arch repos are covered by this and Artix fully supports openrc and runit setups.

However, Artix does also provide a systemd-dummy package. This is merely provides some libraries for the handful of packages that depend on systemd in the Arch repos but don't actually use it (e.x. Chromium) for compatibility purposes. Also some multilib type of stuff (like wine) will pull this in since they devs haven't really decided how they want to go about that yet. I agree this isn't the "ideal" solution, but it's a reasonable stop gap and the most important things are already served in the main Artix repos.

have you been living under a rock?
>Artix has its own repos which are used for the critical, core
artix just pulls in repos from arch, just like parabola does. The proof is that there's still systemd daemons in there.

Did you even read what I typed? Artix has its own repos where they build stuff without systemd dependencies. That's where the core/base of the system lives. Yes, they obviously provide Arch because it would be retarded to duplicate effort and provide Libreoffice again when the one in the extra repos is just fine.

downloading packages and putting them in a different repo name is not a different repository user
infact, the same fucking grub-mkconfig bug that's in arch right now is also in artix.

>have you been living under a rock?
Sure. Please enlighten me without going into autstic Jow Forums shit

>downloading packages and putting them in a different repo name is not a different repository user
That's not what they are doing though. They have their own gitea where they build stuff. I don't know why you are making things up.
gitea.artixlinux.org/explore/organizations

>infact, the same fucking grub-mkconfig bug that's in arch right now is also in artix.
Duh, Artix is meant to follow Arch. It's "Arch without systemd." They try to follow upstream as much as possible, but strip out all the systemd stuff. When that package gets updated in Arch, Artix will follow shortly.

Are you guys sure? I thought they used the fork on bluez with ALSA to avoid using pulseaudio, I have that on CRUX ports but I thought it came from Slackware people.

>dwm and conky
That is not difficult to get in any distro.
>the only options are slackware and gentoo?
Seems about right, check CRUX too.

>Duh, Artix is meant to follow Arch. It's "Arch without systemd." They try to follow upstream as much as possible, but strip out all the systemd stuff. When that package gets updated in Arch, Artix will follow shortly.
so what's the point?
The clearly cant deal with hard dependencies if they have to use dummy packages, and having the same community repos means systemd shit will still be pulled in eventually.
gentoo is a better option.
Also think about what's going on here then, you're getting packages through 2 filters.
upstream > arch > artix

thanks for this, definetly going to wait on trying void now

what is that font?

> [Devuan] doesn't seem to use eudev
Pretty sure the Ceres release does, the "udev" in the file names is just the usual charade to fool dependents.

Monaco

this is ceres. Theres also an eudev package so I don't think so.

Attached: 2019-01-01-1546378865.png (1378x767, 108K)

Wait a second, I know for sure they use their own forked udev, or at least such a fork exists and was directed to Devuan

>The clearly cant deal with hard dependencies if they have to use dummy package
They don't. You don't have to use dummy packages. It's optional.

>having the same community repos means systemd shit will still be pulled in eventually
No it doesn't. Arch is stupidly liberal with dependencies, but the barely anything in the community repos has any dumb systemd stuff in it. The only thing I can really think of is Chromium.

>Also think about what's going on here then, you're getting packages through 2 filters.
That's correct maybe that's a downside in a sense. Arch is plenty bleeding edge though, so it's not like waiting a few extra hours is a big deal to me.

>gentoo is a better option
It depends on your needs.

>Absolute trash
welcome to gnu/linux world faggot.

I just checked on my I32 Thinkpad that runs Devuan and udev is just a transitional package for eudev, please check with apt-cache.
You have eudev installed if you're using Ceres and haven't fucked anything up.

It just works.

Attached: Captura de tela de 2019-01-01 19-08-49.png (812x471, 68K)

is that mummy? she is pritty in that pic

>runit is too basic and has a shitty acpid approach (enjoy typing in your root pass just to unlock when resuming from suspend).
Just do sudo zzz
Just werks

Attached: voidscrot24324.png (1920x1080, 2.18M)

it still pulls in udev libs though.
Again, this is the problem with not having your own repository and pulling shit from pozzed distros. redhatware really is like a fucking uncurable retrovirus god damn.
when you restore on lid close it makes your locker want your root password. There doesn't seem to be anyway around it I tried everything. Fucking openbsd doesn't even have an isuee with this.
Actually speaking of acpid it doesn't fucking work on devuam. I always have to restart the service for it work work. It's fine on artix though.

Attached: 2019-01-01-1546381169.png (1357x502, 172K)

>192kbps
the font is nice tho, what is it?

nice blog op, where do I subscribe?

>192kbps
its like im back in 2006.
Thats the same file i got from irc back in the day btw
my mom is always perfect

Attached: 2019-01-01-1546384099.png (1366x768, 1.39M)

Artix user here, I agree about refreshing keys once every 5 months but everything else is complete bullshit. I use eudev and have never had to edit a PKGBUILD.
I've used Void and you're also spreading FUD about that.
Kindly fuck off.

Install OpenBSD

the fucking SECOND theres a proper virtualization solution and ext3/4 support I'm switching over to theoland and never looking back

Yeah, a lot of misinformation from OP here, unfortunately.

Have you tried GUIXSD?
Besides having declarative system configuration and a purely functional package management scheme, it also has its own init system and such.

it's more like every 2 weeks

a fact-based rant, that's incredibly rare in 4channel.org/subreddit/g nowadays

OP here
I've come to a conclusion
>binary, mostly non-pozzed distro
Artix, but be ready for a bumpy ride
>Source based, completely not pozzed but you have the power to pump it full of aids if you want
gentoo, but enjoy staring at at your terminal for hours. hope you have enough coars

Either tonight or tomorrow night I'm just gonna take the plunge and move to gentoo. As you can see from some of my screenshots my setup is mostly distro-agnostic, so it wont be too painful beyong getting everything installed and setting up the install on an encrypted lvm. Actually I have a script that sets up dwm, st, .bashrc etc etc. I encourge you all to do the same.

Attached: 2018-12-30-1546201869.png (1366x768, 1.52M)

I was referring to the font mostly

Wifish works well for me on void for connecting to APs

Attached: gondola_gentoo_yotsubab_alt2.png (400x420, 25K)

>if you need networkshitmanager for uni internet
lol I stopped using that trash precisely because I wanted to connect to my uni wifi and it was completely shitting itself
networkmanager is a broken, convoluted frontend for a simple tool, it boggles my mind that they put that garbage in distros
you're fucking retarded if you consciously use it

>enjoy staring at at your terminal for hours
why would you do that

initial compiling is usually done in a tty

what works better? connman is shit at reconnecting after suspend and so is wicd.
I go to a small school with a trash "it dept" so it's probably them.
at home wpa_supplicant is more than enough

I, too, like my distro's repo GPG keys expired every year, because paranoia and laziness mix so well. That, and them fucking up something in /etc every week.

Attached: CHAOS IS A LADDER.gif (265x200, 1.96M)

are you talking about artix?

gentoo incentivizes you to go outside

truly a based and red pilled distro

bugs.gentoo.org/674224

you can install gentoo from ubuntu if you want to watch youtube or whatever while shit's compiling, although there's a ton of things you can do in a tty
or just go outside I suppose

I've never needed more than wpa_supplicant + dhcpcd
>connman is shit at reconnecting after suspend and so is wicd
what's with these shitty networking frontends
they make a frontend to something that just works and make it not work lmao
plain wpa_supplicnt reconnects just fine after suspend

>they make a frontend to something that just works and make it not work lmao
thats exactly what pulseaudio is kek
and ywah wpa_supplicant is fine with all of that except my schools network, probably because it needs you to log in via a webpage.
Keep in mind I "pay" 60k a year to deal with this monkey shit

>I've never needed more than wpa_supplicant + dhcpcd
This
>what's with these shitty networking frontends
>they make a frontend to something that just works and make it not work lmao
This, wtf

>probably because it needs you to log in via a webpage
I've actually figured out a workaround to this problem before with just wpa_supplicant, but I unfortunately can't remember it.

I'll stick to opensuse, have fun with your repos.
29 is what got me to switch, half my shit broke for no reason and after updating on a fresh install, it locks up after logging in.

lmao if you think there's any fucking difference between switching from fedora to openpepe.
Also, imagine having a group of literal and figurative niggerfaggots configure your operating system for you.

I tried a bunch of shit before just installing network manager.
Mind you, it doesn't work amazing and my windows and macshit 'friends' also have issues connecting.
Again, I'm not blaming it on anything, but I do need network manager to work, which is why void is out for me.

Not him but fuck off with that shit called Fedora. If you are going to be smug at least be with something that actually works.

Attached: Tips Fedora.png (788x569, 203K)

There is in the way .rpms are handled, did you not know that?
Don't tell me about how hard you glow nigger.

my wording wasn't good but I think red hat are also niggers. So are the gnome people.
If I want to use a full DE it's going to be trinity. Otherwise it's dwm, fvwm and windowmaker for me.

your uni uses wpa enterprise wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration#WPA2_Enterprise
just use an example from the man page that fits the network in question and plug your info linux.die.net/man/5/wpa_supplicant.conf
add other networks you connect to frequently, set their priorities, enable the wpa_supplicant service and you're set

what is really that bad about systemd? I know it's not ideal; but the other options don't really seem to be really that viable; and i don't know what about it makes it a complete dealbreaker. am i just a brainlet?

I'll try that out after break, thanks for the heads up. Right now I'm trying to decide when to start the gentoo install, since I have a 12 hour hospital shift from 8 to 8 tomorrow

make sure you select the desktop profile
it enables the minimum set if USE flags most desktop users would want
you can easily disable shit you know you don't need at any time
it'd be a huge pain in the neck figuring out which USE flags you're missing for your shit to work properly with the base profile on your first install

>minimum set if USE flags
minimum set of USE flags*

dammit

With void I just swapped networkshitmanager for connman
Honestly void docs are sparce but everything is simplistic. The package manager doesn't have a million features.
The repos suck dick tho.

What about antiX, basically Devuan but more lightweight?

I used gentoo on my desktop when I had one, min d you all I did was just a / partition and genkernel all. but yeah I kinda sorta know my way around portage, I'll probably end up skimming through the handbook while I wait for shit to compile

just use devuan...or dont. it's pretty hacked together.

Devuan is worth for quick and dirty server imho

This. Artix is literally Arch from the memes where something is fucked with every update. Their repos are definitely not in sync with Arch, at least once I had broken mpv because it was updated before ffmpeg from Artix. They also mistyped once in conf.d for elogind, breaking it on reboot.
Seriously, if you want to cancel your meetings because of broken elogind, go Artix. I don't even want to update anymore.

font name?

Install GuixSD.

Gentoo is definitely one of the best distributions overall, but have you tried GuixSD?

>enjoy typing in your root pass just to unlock when resuming from suspend
I have no idea what you're talking about
>Pathetic repos
95% of the time they're sufficient. Just how much bloat are you trying to install?
>only 32bit version of wine
Fair
>xbepis syntax is shit
Why do you think aliases exist?
>wiki is sparse and can't even document it's own install process right
The Arch wiki and Void wiki combined make for perfectly good documentation. I have no idea what you're on about
>generally you're stuck with wpa_supplicant for wifi, rip if you need networkshitmanager for uni internet
wpa_s can handle most every internet system out thereā€¦ at least that I know of
>musl is still broken but at least it has a glibc version
Then why bring it up

t. Void user