A year after net-neutrality’s repeal, the Internet is alive and well

>HERE’S A PIECE of news you may have missed: The internet is getting faster. The technology news website Recode reported this month that “US internet speeds rose nearly 40 percent this year,” with broadband download velocity now averaging as much as 159 megabits per second in some cities. The United States currently ranks seventh worldwide in broadband internet speed. That’s up from 12th a year ago.

>Yet last year, when the Federal Communications Commission moved to repeal the Obama administration’s “Net Neutrality” rule, much of the liberal establishment went berserk. Many in the media were sure the change would mean the “end of the internet as we know it.” A lavish online campaign backed by dozens of organizations issued a “Red Alert,” warning that if the FCC under Chairman Ajit Pai overturned the Obama regulations, it would “give the big cable companies control over what we see and do online” and “allow widespread throttling, blocking, censorship, and extra fees.” A New York Times business journalist bewailed the coming demise of the internet — undoing net neutrality, he wrote, “would be the final pillow in its face.” Other tech analysts were even more caustic. Nilay Patel, the editor of The Verge, proclaimed that with net neutrality gone, the internet was doomed. (“Doomed” wasn’t the word he used.)

So where's my tiered internet connection Jow Forums?

bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/12/28/year-after-net-neutrality-repeal-internet-alive-and-well-and-faster-than-ever/

Attached: 1538288165317.jpg (650x576, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20181231230803/https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/12/28/year-after-net-neutrality-repeal-internet-alive-and-well-and-faster-than-ever/AoVm2iZI9Jxs0ZzZFXsOfM/story.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BUT REDDIT SAID THE INTERNET WAS OVER

Jow Forums did too.

I know, and they are both fucking retarded.

>Reddit gets up in arms over net neutrality
>nothing happens
>No one says anything about article 13 which actually would harm the internet
Really makes you think

BASED Sachiko post.
Jow Forums BTFO

In America correlation does equal causation

OP here. I tried removing the referral metadata in from the URL, but it gives a 404.
web.archive.org/web/20181231230803/https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/12/28/year-after-net-neutrality-repeal-internet-alive-and-well-and-faster-than-ever/AoVm2iZI9Jxs0ZzZFXsOfM/story.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos1

Here's the archive.org version so you can avoid the botnet.

K. enjoy your democle's sword

>privacy out the window
>com companies raising prices across the board
>wild west internet is over

Yup. Alive and well.

>privacy out the window
lmao you never had privacy to begin with. There was plenty of evidence showing the NSA was up to something all the way back to the early 2000s.
Even then, in 2013 it became public knowledge how exactly the NSA, most tech companies, and most 1st world countries were spying on people.

>com companies raising prices across the board
That's quite a bit different than tiered access. Also as the OP article shows connection speeds have gone up, so you're likely paying less per megabit anyway.

>>wild west internet is over
No, that's what Article 13 is going to end. Funny how Google, Amazon, Facebook, Reddit, Jow Forums, and others are not talking about Article 13 however.

>data caps on home internet services
>carriers disabling streaming of 1080P+ unless you pay a fee
>limited data on "unlimited data" plans
>tethered internet getting treated differently than non-tethered internet

These are just the ones I've run into, I'm sure there are more.

Attached: 1520185212577.png (792x713, 319K)

>data caps on home internet services
Net neutrality never dealt with this in any incarnation, ever.

>carriers disabling streaming of 1080P+ unless you pay a fee
No, they disable 1080p streaming for you if Youtube and Amazon don't pay up. Of course they could change this, but I don't see that happening given the current system.

>limited data on "unlimited data" plans
That was a FAR bigger issue back when Net Neutrality was still in effect though. These days most mobile carriers in the US actually have unlimited data, with the fineprint usually saying something like 25GB in a month before throttling.
It's worth nothing this actually wasn't even part of net neutrality. Mobile Internet was always subject to different rules.

>tethered internet getting treated differently than non-tethered internet
See above.

That was reddit on Jow Forums.

Jow Forums has been arguing in favor of Net Neutrality for over a decade now. It was always fucking nothing.

i was told the eu is nazi so i support article 13 to defeat(((them)))

I called it back then

If google is against something you can be sure, 100% sure, that it's a good thing they are against. Don't go the google way if you actually care about your own fucking species.

best curated response

Google isn't against Article 13 though. Everything the EU does is based. See: GDPR and forcing USB to be standard on phone.

Go to bed Ajit Pai

>I Don't Know How My Own Fucking Government Works
>The Thread