/pcbg/ - PC Building General

!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and Vega 56 are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: bitchin.jpg (800x1051, 519K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/TtPpnH
nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/YpxBHh
pcpartpicker.com/list/jsw2LJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/8NNCcY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't buy AMD they can't overclock for s***

Attached: Screenshot_20181223-113732.png (1440x2880, 221K)

the incel/ayymdrone war is entertaining

Why is Intel so irrelevant now? What happened?

Attached: 1534501129257.jpg (1024x768, 100K)

point proven

I'm being serious though

which big guy are you?

>
>which big guy are you?

The one crashing this plane.

kek'd

So user, would you go for the meshify c or enthoo pro m?

Because muh brand loyalty. "Intel" always more appealing to self conscious brainlets.

Don't know if anyone cares, but I was the post last night about my PSU possibly dying, and I guess if anyone wants closure I got a new PSU and it works great again.

Almost thought my motherboard died when I tried reconnecting everything because it didn't boot but I had my case power pins in wrong. Fixed it and it booted on perfectly.

I guess my question is how often do you guys replace your PSU's? My last one was almost 10 years old before it died.

$250 on Craig’s. Good beginner comp instead of building one for 500? I’m only using it for school and some CSGO
Maybe CoD or Battfield on lower settings

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (mild overclock to 3.6ghz) 6 Core CPU Black Edition
AIO Water Cooler
8GB DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB DDR5 Graphics Card
500 GB HDD
EVGA 450 BR PSU
Free Version of Windows 10

I can always upgrade the graphics card if a deal comes up down the line

I got this old rig with an i5-4590 in it that I want to give to a friend. Everything I've run on it seems solid but should I look for an i7-4770 or just leave him with what I left it with?

Attached: TzXCGJL.png (333x386, 41K)

Depends on if you want to fuck him or not.
Even if you do i'd advise just giving him the money you would have spent upgrading it anyway since money is a more memorable gift than a cpu upgrade

Where can I get a Bitchin'fast 3D 2000?

Coworker is selling his mining cards. This is what he's offering:

Zotac GTX 1070 Mini = 220$
Asus GTX 1070Ti = 311$
Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1080 = 330$

Based on those prices, which is the best value? I only game at 1080p.

i walked into that

That shit is ancient, wouldn't pay more than $100

I'm going for 1080p 144hz which CPU is my best bet to last as long as possible? 9700K?

If price isn't a factor 9900K obviously.
Otherwise a 9700K or 8700K are good if you have to buy right now and not upgrade again for a while for some reason.

I can't think of a bigger waste of money than to get a 9700k and play at 1080p. Lmao.

wait for CES

CPU speed is more important at lower resolutions where the GPU isn't the limiting factor.

Unironically, when will i need to upgrade my 8700k? I have it clocked to 4.9 on all cores and it runs literally anything I through at it. 5 years? 10?

Attached: 4rewfd.jpg (1086x992, 73K)

I'd rather framerate over resolution and 1080p is more CPU bound

1080p is the kino resolution
it just werks

No one could possibly know that. It depends on what happens with CPU tech, games and also what standard of performance is fine with you.
I'm not a prophet, Intel could bring out something with 40% IPC gains and 5.8GHz in 2020 and the PS5 could have an 8 core 16 thread Zen 2 turning the new standard of performance into way higher than what you've got, or we could get quad core consoles and 25% cumulative IPC gains with a ~5GHz ceiling by 2025, then a 8700K would be about as good as a 2600K is today.

are you perhaps retarded?

Can you judge my build? Already bought the gpu, psu, ram, and motherboard. Buying the rest over the next few weeks.
pcpartpicker.com/list/TtPpnH

Please tell me you're not playing at 1080p.
I beg you.

Whats the best cpu for a 3gb 1060?

I'm buying a 9700K and 2080 to play at 1080p. Whatcha gonna do about it, poorfag?

Hell no. 1440p minimum and hopefully 4K. I’m not a big fan of games that require a high fps (online shooters, MMOs, etc.). Plus I want it to be future proof for at lest 6 years or so.

based

Thank god, I've seen too much retardation today. That's a 4k build, you will be fine for a long time.

I'm running a fairly moderate setup from 2014, an i5-4590 with a fairly recent EVGA 1060 6GB whatever fucking model out of 30 EVGA makes. I'm thinking of making a higher end PC this year.

Should I keep the 1060, try and sell it, or just double up on it?
I'm leaning on trying to sell it

Attached: Pikastan.jpg (962x992, 69K)

of course sell it. 1060s cant even do SLI and even if they could it only really works decently in 3 games

Looking to move from 1080p shit, would a rtx 2070 be good for 1440p gaming or do I need to stick to 1080p?

Yeah I thought so, I fucking hope cryptos don't fucking bubble again. I bought that fucking card right after the peak

>Only game at 1080p
>$120 RX570

>do I need gtx 1080 performance, which was the recommended gpu for 1440p, for 1440p?
gee, I don't know user
If only there was a recommended list somewhere

The 1070Ti is overpriced for some reason. If you only game at 1080p get the 1070 it'll do ya good.

You guys keep your cases throughout builds right?

Attached: DIE GI.png (653x653, 205K)

Right O chaps.
R8, h8, masterb8 over my 1080p 144hz build. The game I play is CPU bound (Squad)

nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/YpxBHh

Attached: am0kDo2P_700w_0 (1).jpg (478x350, 22K)

Used the same case for my last two builds but I'm looking for a new one for the next. It's been 8 years

Until it becomes the bottleneck.

still need help with this one bajs
in a nutshell do i wait to buy everything else after CES? or does it matter
also posting link bc idk
pcpartpicker.com/list/jsw2LJ

isn't HTPC for a dedicated setup? Are people running an HTPC on somethign other than a TV in a "TV room"?

i was thinking of replacing with rpi3 kodi box with a real htpc with a bluray drive. is drm irritating on kodi?

Good lord this is a problem.

>seeing there was no pass through above the CPU in an old build case I was elling

Attached: BOGj4Ek.gif (400x400, 557K)

>1440p is $100 more expensive for the same spec 24inch monitor

is it really worth it bros

I will reuse my own but the family PC is lacking USB 3 ports. I'd just replace that one, unsexy case anyway.

Wait, it's 200 more i.e. almost double the price. Fug. Still worth it?

Wife wants one of those gay men laptops for school as well as gaming but I’d rather build something, are mitx and matx good enough?

Dunno.
Last I checked bluray wont play on linux or OSX and needs somehting like Power DVD and specific HDCP setups to work with windows.
Maybe there are dirty criminal ways around it but at that point I would just pirate.

1080p 144hz vs
1440p 75hz with HDR

no /sqt/ so asking this here
can I replace top one with bottom one? both say 230V on the back
how do I know the total Watts of the bottom one, that table is moon runes to me

Attached: psus.jpg (2912x3836, 2.98M)

This is also a good point. I think I might go with the 1080 with a 1440p upgrade down the line if I feel I need it. It's my first desktop so anything's going to look/perform better than my laptop screen.

Is there a passively cooled GPU that can replace my Radeon HD 5870 with at least equivalent performance? GeForce GT 1030 seems a bit faster but is already old; are there better options?

well ... poopie. thanks, you probably just saved me a lot of heartache and money.

I'm guessing the model number denotes wattage? the PX-400 is marked so I'd bet it's 400watt

What's a good cpu to pair with a 2080? Should I wait for the new ryzen? I don't know if my pc can handle one more year though

Should've said it's for 1440p 144hz gaming if possible.

Wait for CES, if there's no info on new ryzen go for Intel. Waiting for one week isn't gonna kill you, is it?

There's no guarantee Zen 2 will be any better for gaming than current Intel CPUs. If you can wait, do it since AMD might pull off something great and intel CPU prices will come down as well once the 14nm shortages ease off and AMD's competition presumably stiffens. But if you can't wait go with one of the high end Intel CPUs.
Waiting also has the benefit that RAM will probably be way cheaper in a few months so whatever platform you get will probably be cheaper.

its not going to be a year

I currently have this comp:
pcpartpicker.com/list/8NNCcY

I want to play OverWatch on my 144Hz 1440p FreeSync monitor, what I'm reading on Google says I should get a GeForce 1080, does that sound right? Would I be able to stream the game as well?

You never know with AMD.
Remember Vega?

I'm waiting for CES, but only to see if there are any price drops on current hardware in response. Is that stupid

FUD

Waiting for Vega was like starving in a desert while your more wealthy friends partied in a oasis you couldn't bring yourself to ask to join after so long.
Then about 9 months in AMD road in with fanfare and released the 500 series.
Then the mining boom hit and i gave up on the desert imagery just like i gave up and got a 1060 when it was only at a slightly inflated price because the 1080s and 1070s were already far past what i would consider reasonable.

Hello! Hopefully this is an easy one. So I'm going to be making some upgrades to my current gaming build (as it has a few 6 year old parts), and I need some help in selecting the perfect Monitor, CPU, & Motherboard. That's where I hope you can come in.

>I already own and use a GTX1060 6GB
>I already own and use a 750W 80+ Gold PSU
>I already have 16GB DDR3 RAM
>I already have a 256GB SSD that hosts my OS & few games
>I will be playing at 1080p

My current, main monitor is a 23" Asus V232H. All I know is that I want to upgrade to a 27" monitor. I don't know which one to go with (thin bezels and slim design would be a plus). Don't know if I should seek a 144hz one (are they worth it? I don't play many shooters).

I really don't know which CPU to select: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G? Ryzen 5 2600? 2600X?

And for motherboard, I know I want one that supports the m.2 form factor for NVMe SSD's.

Thank you.

Attached: 1528683836517.gif (352x240, 2.66M)

>i gave up and got a 1060

Attached: You were supposed to destroy the sith not join them.jpg (800x450, 34K)

why the fuck are prices going up so quickly???
I woke up to my pcpartpicker list going from $830 to $950

>I already have 16GB DDR3 RAM
user...

Did you have a 2600 and a pascal GPU?

What's up?

All the new CPUs are only compatible with DDR4

I had a 2600, dont know what pascal means but I have the Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR MK2
this is my first build
also my RAM went up to almost double the price, some Team - Vulcans 2x8

If you need the space, plan on mounting radiators, want 140mm fans only, then the Enthoo Pro M, otherwise Meshify C, easy choice, best sub 70-80 dollars case.

Oh really? Shit, I had no idea. Literally haven't swung by Jow Forums since 2012/3 when I was buildan my first rig.

Well in that case... I'll need to get some DDR4 RAM then. Is 32GB way too much for gaming/using Netflix, Hulu etc. or is 16 fine?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

2600 was on sale. Your RAM was probably also on sale.
Not much you can do about the CPU other than wait for another sale but just repick some ram, as long as the speed and timings are the same, regardless of brand it's all the same shit.

Yeah 16 is fine for anything other than video editing really, it says it in the sticky.

Attached: 1480533199239.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

Wait nevermind it doesn't say it in the sticky anymore.
I guess i haven't read that in a while

Why is it so fucking hard to find DDR3-2133 So-Dimm Jow Forums?

because you shouldnt want it

>fell for the Ryzen 2600 meme
underwhelming card desu i shouldve got the 9700k or the 2700x

Need a good air cooler and heatsink. Any good recs?

Why do you think the 2600 is underwhelming compared to the 2700? Same shit just 2 more cores.

>card

Attached: 1388309505490.jpg (228x238, 13K)

meant cpu desu im drunk
just feels slower than i thought it would be

>ryzen
>card

Attached: download.jpg (224x225, 5K)

>feels slower
in what?
I went from an i5 6500 to a 1600 and it was noticeably better in literally everything

But I need it.

What CPU did you come from?

Question, I have a z170 Motherboard and it's 1151. Is there a way to get a i5 9600K working on that motherboard or do I have to upgrade?

Attached: 9D2CBA70-F5A8-11E8-903A-02EB41F5A93E.jpg (282x282, 18K)

Cheers, I'll go for the fractal

If you have to ask that question you won't have the skills