Growth vs fixed mindset for programmers

So Jow Forums, as far as programming and software development goes, do you believe you're gated by some sort of innate, fixed intelligence or do you believe that your intelligence and problem solving skills are malleable?

Do you believe you're one or the other? Or is this growth mindset bs just a meme to inspire brainlets to make them think that they can become as smart as Einstein?

Attached: 1534982679900.jpg (438x647, 53K)

seems more like live to work vs work to live to me. I just want to do my job and go home to waste my evening on anime and imageboard browsing. we're still rewriting a delphi codebase at work theres not much to be learned. the whole 'growth mindset' sounds like codecamp open office bs that looks good in motivational slides and posters but doesnt mean anything in actual life

Attached: 1450829361964.gif (286x310, 688K)

That is such a fixed thing to say

fixed makes more money

>think you can improve yourself and work hard to do it
>but also hate when others succeed

Attached: 1535429902214.jpg (730x767, 77K)

>avoiding challenges means you make more money
wut

Intelligence cannot be developed, only competency. We are all absolutely bound by the upper limits of our intelligence.

WOKE.

I'd say it's something between the two. Growth sounds great and everything, but based on my observations I'd say that we have a fixed potential. I say this because, while I definitely feel much smarter now than I was five years ago, I've met many people who put ten times more effort than me at learning stuff like programming, yet they were at the lower third of the class. I've also met people who don't make any effort who were at the top of the class. Then there's me, who's too lazy and unmotivated to do any effort and somehow my performance is just average and at least better than those I mentioned who don't achieve anything despite all their effort. That said, it's not about being smart. I suppose those people just aren't good at programming, but may be able to find some other area they excel at.

>free will

Attached: 1466852114771.gif (640x266, 3.26M)

I think everyone may have a "ceiling" that is somewhat innate. Some people might be bright but not bright enough to be a Nobel-prize-winning physicist, for example.

But this ceiling is usually only reached after thousands upon thousands of hours poured into something with deliberate practice. So it's pointless to speculate on how "fixed" your intelligence is in a certain subject if you haven't even put 5,000 hours into it.

why not both?

Based

Kind of. The ceiling doesn't technically exist from the nature of neural plasticity in humans, but one does sort of exist because of the time difference caused by people learning slower than others.

Attached: 1e1.jpg (601x420, 17K)

Of course you can learn and improve, but that doesn't mean everyone can reach the absolute highest peak because of it. This seems like nothing more than common sense, obviously if you work on a skill you will become more proficient at it.

That whole 'growth mindset' and 'fixed mindset' sounds exactly like the sort of garbage platitude you'd find somebody spouting in order to get a corporation to dump money on some 'workshop' where a dude embellishes common sense in order to make it appealing and easy to sell. It reeks of corporatism.

fpbp

programming skill isn't entirely equivalent to intelligence and you can be good at programming, especially one particular area of programming, just by pushing yourself to get good at it
although most people have no idea how to get good at it and think that they have to study books or perform exercises and get frustrated and give up

If you can entertain yourself with a thing, you will learn it a lot faster and better than something that just bore you to death.

free will is an illusion

All this shit and the random slacker from Univ who can barely code a hello world is your boss solely because he networked his way through

It makes me so mad, there are so many undeserving yes men in tech who don't know shit and still manage. They all deserve to be shot

>imagine not being in R&D
>code monkey's gonna code monkey

It's actually irrelevant if it's an illusion or not.
You can do choices and end in a better or worse situation aligned with your choices.
If it's all predetermined or not, it don't matter from your point of view.

Most MBA retards are of the "fixed" type. They never do anything on their own because they're terrified of failure without being able to pin the blame somewhere else. Almost everything they do is cargo cult style bullshitting, which is why upper management does nonsensical shit. It's because they're legitimately fucking clueless. The worst among this type figure out that they can manipulate people of the "growth" mindset, because growth people will do things just to do them. Don't let fixed fucks use your labor without high compensation.

It does though since you avoid spending money in research that can turn into failures and damages caused by them.

The more you code/play around with frameworks/read documentation/view samples/work on projects, the more you learn. The brain is not a stagnant entity.

>It reeks of corporatism.
Mostly because the correct choice is dependent more on the work to be done and management. Sure, you'll develop stronger technical skills if you view a challenge as a path mastery, but in a very real sense you've made the wrong call if someone that takes shortcuts to avoid challenges gets a promotion you were passed up for because they criticized your correct and more difficult path. The growth mindset is quixotic in a lot of environments, but that's management's responsibility.

It is very relevant.

Free will requires individuals to be capable of considering all available choices and making uninfluenced decisions. If you believe in free will, then everyone is fully accountable for their actions and decisions.

If you don't believe in free will, then you accept that people are constrained by limitations outside of their control. An individuals choices are limited by their comprehension, and their decisions are determined by previous events.

Predestination is a different thing from rejecting free will. The former says there is a pre-decided course of events, the latter makes no such guarantee.

>using time/money to learn shit/buy

Attached: ______.png (849x768, 29K)

>but also hate when others succeed
I only do this if the faggot is a complete moron making bank on memes and autism. Sort of like youtube celebs who make millions just by making soiboi faces and obviously scripted pantomime reactions to the most stupid shit imaginable.

>quixotic

Attached: 1439743963208.gif (640x640, 163K)

this user is speaking 100% fact

The onus is on the individual to obtain as much relevant information and develop agency.

>be really good at elementary school (best grades in absolutely everything)
>parents and grandparents understandably call me a genius
>grow up into an arrogant teenager with this "fixed mindset"
>even a decade later still don't really know how to put effort into things
Who even made mistakes here?

Attached: giftedKidBurnout.jpg (790x960, 113K)

Intelligence is fixed but knowledge isn't. Ability is knowledge x intelligence.

Attached: 1545581499388.jpg (640x853, 83K)

The industrial revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Socrates lamented that the Sophists with their rhetoric were more persuasive to the masses than reason and logic. Life optimises for energy consumption and unfortunately this means the brain takes a lot of shortcuts in evaluation. The best we can do is form smaller societies and be more selective. It's too late for the "mass" of humanity, too many idiots in high places to give favours and free passes until the end of time.

Same. Two decades later for me, but the one thing I found which works, short bursts. Projects I can finish in one day, or in one hour.

This really made laugh, thanks user.

Based and truepilled

My fucking sides

>at some point all of this was me
>except weed
I knew this shit wasn't rare.

>had all of those
>now have none of them

It feels nice to take your head out of your ass

What changes did you make?

I think it was just getting older, I couldn't stand wasting my time anymore playing vidya and shit like that, so I just started doing stuff. Actually accomplishing things feels good and does wonders for anxiety and depression. Don't really have any tips to offer though, for me something just clicked in the head