Sup Jow Forums I'm looking in to a career change and was thinking of taking a look into cyber security

Sup Jow Forums I'm looking in to a career change and was thinking of taking a look into cyber security.

I don't even know if this is the right place to ask about this but it's the only place I can think of.

Do you guys think it would be worth going back to college to get a degree or would a diploma serve me just fine in this field? Thanks.

Attached: sec.jpg (1200x843, 149K)

Other urls found in this thread:

udallas.edu/cob/academics/ms/cybersecurity/index.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

What's your previous field of work?

Not related at all.

I'm a tradesman.
Still relatively young 23.

I would have no prior knowledge going into it.

Cybersec you will be basically a business-related corporate shill who has slight knowledge in IT.

If you want to do actual ethical hacking, etc. you'll need to be a software engineer for about 5-10 years, then get your CEH cert as well as any other necessary certs such as CISSP, etc.

Depends on what you wanna do.

Be honest what made you interested in joining?
Also here's something.

Attached: 1545879375271.jpg (2000x1885, 1.55M)

Don't listen to this guy.
>If you want to do actual ethical hacking, etc. you'll need to be a software engineer for about 5-10 years
Nope.

Yep. If you don't have actual experience with reverse engineering, etc. you'll basically be an incident report monkey for life or move up into management.

Sorry to disappoint.

Hmmm, how many of those books involve a programming language (Python, C#, C) as well as bash commands, etc. Hmmmm.....

Yeah nope.

I've always been interested in computers and technology but never really had any career path I've wanted to follow.

I saw an ad online, looked into it and from what I've read it sounds interesting.

The pay is enticing, apparently there's a lack of talent and interest in the field and the prospect to work as an independent contractor sounds interesting.

Some of them require that you have at least some programming experience. Python, C, and even assembly in some of those books.

If im a software engineer right now, is there any sense for me to go into security engineering or should i stick to software engineering during the day and hacking as a hobby?

Honestly, in my opinion, cyber security is a waste of time. Hackers will always be ten steps ahead of you. Do you see the best hackers working at large companies as cyber security? No because the best hackers are unknown and never caught. Just stick to what you are and treat it as a hobby.

Get a master's.
udallas.edu/cob/academics/ms/cybersecurity/index.php

how are "hackers" so good though? You would think there are many more resources dumped into cybersecurity than blackhat hacking.

Early age learning, autism, spending a tremendous amount everyday just pentesting, programming, reverse engineering and etc.. I'm not saying you have to learn at a young age but if you're over 25 or 30 just don't even.

so if it's just a "i have a lot of time" thing? Is there even a chance of doing this as a hobby? Fugg

I was planning on going into cybersec, but recently I've been considering Computational Linguistics. Is compling a better field to go into?

don't reinvent the wheel user

What do you mean by that?

If you have spare time go ahead.

what is your goal? is it to break into sites and get free shit and credit cards? or are you just wanting to see what it's like and what it actually is?

>The pay is enticing
be careful. only go into it if you think you will be happy even if you're not making good money.

I don't actually intend to get free shit and credit cards. I like to know that i can however. I'm lusting for the power to do those things (+ it's fun to practice something that society considers a dark art). It's mostly fun-based and powerlust than anything else.

Be careful because it may seem powerful and cool the shit you see in movies is illegal and if you're caught you will go to jail for a long TIME.

I'm sticking to wargames for now, it should be quite a while till I get to the level that might potentially be illegal. If i ever get there, then i'll start being concerned about the legality of what i'm doing.

Nice deflection.
>Cybersec you will be basically a business-related corporate shill who has slight knowledge in IT.
This is actually true you fucking immoral fascist shill. Now go out and lick some boots, you don't belong here

what the hell has our society come to, where people destroy other people's livelihoods for fun. i guess when you can't see your target and when you're even trained to antagonize them, it's impossible to empathize with them. i hope you enjoy that dystopia you're asking for

>hacking into an old grandma's account is fun
geez man, ever heard of robin hood?

>shill
>fascist
Keep trying wannabe.

This thread got incredibly sidetracked