/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: iliac.jpg (1495x871, 326K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.pximg.net/img-original/img/2018/11/24/00/02/01/71801157_p0.png
asciitable.com/
krackattacks.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

me

is it possible to passthrough integrated ryzen graphics to a VM?
most people want to do the opposite

What are some of the best price:performance android tablets? I dont care much for it being cheap, just that it is well speced.

Already have a laptop but I just want something weightless to read on and to stress test sims I plan to port to android.

i did the whole windows 7 pastebin install thing over a prior windows 10 install which came with this computer. after the new installation im having wildly varying internet speeds, anything from 15 mbps (faster than what i got on windows 10) to 0.5 mbps. any idea what

I downloaded a png from pixiv and tried to upload it to Jow Forums, but the site told me there's an embedded file in it. You can embed files in pngs?

This was the image: i.pximg.net/img-original/img/2018/11/24/00/02/01/71801157_p0.png

I think its unlikely to do with the os, if you're sure it is, device manager-> uninstall network drivers -> reinstall.

Yes files can be embedded in images. Try recompressing the image. That link is broken

Why are functions named function everywhere but def in python

Attached: 4141421412.jpg (511x844, 50K)

You need to experience more languages.

Can I make a program open as administrator on start up?

G Hub only detects my mouse when I open it as administrator, and I'd like for the program to open as admin on start up

They are called methods in C#

Create a shortcut, in the shortcut options go to advnaces, check run as administrator, run the shortcut on startup.

It's still called a function, def is defining a function name. That's like saying "variables are called Lets in javascript now???"

Attached: LinusKarma.webm (508x426, 746K)

What can I use my old PC for? It's taking up space and collecting dust. It's not really broken or anything, just the ram needs to be replaced.
It has a quad core q6600 and a geforce 9600 gtx. Is it worth keeping it or should I just throw it away?

Depending on what the power draw is might be worth it to make a plex server or something like that. But generally if you don't have an idea for something, you don't need to hold onto it.

sup Jow Forumsreat ones
I've been faced with an algorithmic problem while practicing. two points create a line, then how to prove based on the given coordinates if the drawn line is vertical, horizontal, diagonal?

I wanted to ask here, so I can get some ideas. I mean, the only two things that I can come up with is a server, or a miner. But for the server, I have no real use for, and the miner will be too weak to even do anything.
One other thing that I was considering, is to make it a server to test for vulnerabilities, but I can most likely do that on a raspberry, and it takes up less space.

I know this is /sqt/ but that's an extremely stupid question.

Is this homework? There's not enough data to even make something of it.
But given your information if ax==bx, the line is vertical. If ay==by, the line is horizontal.

Is it possible a cpu cooler would prevent a pc from booting up?

Recently I bought some new parts, including a motherboard and a deepcool gammaxx 400 cooler, I set everything up, did some tests and it was ok. Three days ago, the pc had been freezing, I thought it was just windows 10 being a cunt but it also happened on ubuntu.

I did some troubleshooting until I arrived to the conclusion that it was either the motherboard or the cpu.

But today I decided to test it without the cooler and it worked. I installed my old cooler and now everything works again.

What's going on?

Attached: f7y6ueiqlx121.jpg (851x1109, 72K)

its not homework, im just very very rusty with geometry. I'm practicing C and tackling two of my inadequacies at once.

i know it is, my teacher looked at me real stupid when i told him i cant write the program to do that.

Attached: 1545976778169.gif (488x302, 1.67M)

any good free programs that I can use to monitor network activity? we somehow went over our limit last month with comcast when we normally don't even hit 50% and I'm kind of getting suspicious.

thanks user!

asciitable.com/
Trying to change the dollar sign in bash to an extended ascii character but it doesn't seem to be supported. Is it possible to add support for these characters in bash or should I change terminals?

Attached: e3 drummer.gif (349x248, 1.74M)

Is it possible for a real (non-knockoff) MicroSD card to have a defect that causes its total capacity to be broken similar to a fake?

I bought a Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD card and by all appearances it should be real. It was bought from an actual store (Walmart), visually it matches a real one without the telltale knockoff issues. Its speed is the full 90/100 MB/s as advertised and everything however when I full it up to exactly 89.77GB is will become corrupted and require a reformat.

The reason I ask if it can be real but broken is because I've dealt with knockoffs that my family has bought before, it just makes no sense to me why a knockoff would transfer at full speeds (they're usually really slow) and have such a massive usable size at 89GB (usually they're only 8/16GB from the fakes I've seen).

What is the best way to clean a cloth mousepad and Non reflective coating Monitor.

Can anyone recommend a good "HDMI switcher" that works great and doesn't have input lag? current monitor only has 1 port and i need to be able to connect my Nintendo Switch.

Is there a graphical file manager that fulfills the following criteria?
>automatically saves view settings on a per-folder basis
>allows me to specify a custom command for batch renaming (or offers its own utility which is on-par with Thunar's bulk rename)
>allows me to easily open a terminal in the current dir
>doesn't shit itself when a dir contains several thousand images
Bonus points for offering both direct deletion and moving to the trash bin.

I was/am using Nemo as it offered all that. At least until recently. It was always a little weak at handling directories with +10k pictures in it, but since the 4.x updates it's a total disaster. 1000 images are now enough to make it almost freeze.
Now I tried Thunar and PCManFM. Both handle these big directories great while using a minimum of resources, but they are lacking in the other categories.

Attached: 1538297029555.png (935x1024, 624K)

Ok guys so I bought some nice dimmable LED bulbs.

I want to dim them using google assistant.

What's the best way to do that?
Buy some esp89** and dimmable relays or to buy a dimmable wifi socket or lamp?

What's the best/cheapest way to do it?

Are there any moderate/high risk vulnerabilities for the average consumer consumer grade routers since they patched WPS? Haven't been paying attention and don't want people potentially on my network for MITM shit.

krackattacks.com/

I'm in desperate need of a flash drive. Which brands should I avoid?

How much of a speed increase could I expect moving from a Core i5 750 @ 3.5Ghz OC'd to a Ryzen 2600 at the same clock speed? I don't need anything crazy for 144 Hz gaming or video editing or anything but I would like to have onboard USB3, SATA3, M.2, and all the other bells and whistles that come with newer motherboards

Attached: ryzen2ndgen.jpg (1920x1080, 182K)

Depends on what you're doing.
Anything multi core will be drastically faster and single core not as much.
It'd be a large upgrade in total though.

By the way, CES starts next tuesday and rumors say Ryzen 3 will be announced, so unless you really need it right now I'd wait until next week.
(If it gets announced it'll probably not available until a few months after anyway, but who knows)

Hey guys, bought a new PC a while ago, with a new display. Ordered an adapter so I could also connect my older display (new machine did not support VGA directly).

Adapter came today, connected and it didnt work. The older display has a D SUB connection, where I connected the VGA to VGA cable and then connected the adapter, which is VGA to HDMI and then to the pc. Im not sure what the problem as, as Im shit with PCs, but what happens is, first of all, second display stays black. Then on my main display, the computer keeps making connected/disconnected sounds. The cursor is stuck on the middle of the main display, stutters hard and resets to center every 2-3 seconds. I cant even check displays on main display since the mouse is glued to the center.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks. I'll wait for Ryzen 3

What's the best free PDF reader? This latest Adobe shit is utter cancer.

Sumatra PDF

>403 forbidden

This is what I use also and it's good; nice, simple and fast

your internet browser

I need to pick a laptop for my sister. Will be used only for University classes. Should be cheap and fast enough to run windows 10 and MS office without hiccups.
Any ideas? I assume laptops with new AMD mobile APUs should be great, right?
Anyone has laptop with ryzen APU?
Or should I suggest her to get old MacBook? She would prefer Apple product...
To be clear, I'm not buying, just picking which one she will buy.
Pic related is not my sister.

Attached: 1537416755243.jpg (1280x1920, 211K)

a 10yo laptop with 4G ram should run winders 10 and office whatever perfectly fine for school purposes

>get new prepaid sim card with new phone number from a different carrier
>put it in a new phone that i have never used with any sim card before
>the contacts have the usual customer service stuff, but also the number of a phone salesman, which i also have on my previous phone
WTF??? on my previous phone i had the habit of adding phone salesmen to my contacts so i could block them, but this is a completely new sim card and my other contacts are not on this sim card. WTF???

Attached: 1447887381530.jpg (231x218, 7K)

anyone here actually use ipv6 at all?
how about in your lan?
pure ipv6?

afaik my isp doesn't even support it

btw, the customer service contacts say "SDN 1 Contacts". the phone salesman doesn't say SDN 1. how did the phone salesman get on there???

ah shit nvm i found the issue, i had linked it to my gmail accidentally

Used thinkpad, 4-8GB RAM and a SSD.

Your HSF is faulty and your motherboard refuses to work without a CPU heatsink.

>used thinkpad
>my sister, who bought retarded iPhone X uses a thinkpad
No
I'll probably do something like this, maybe not that old, though

So no one had any experience with ryzen laptops?

How effective is GDPR "right to be forgotten"?

Try it

I mean, what possible way could there be to know that some data harvester no longer has my deets just because I asked on the basis of an EU law? It sounds like a nice but unenforceable principle.

On the same note, whether or not GDPR is effective, what protection is there if someone gave my email address to shady characters?

Why my R7 260X runs slower than a 200GE's Vega 3? On the emulator Dolhpin, I cannot use any internal resolution higher than 1X (native) and on Redream (Dreamcast) over 1280x960 internal resolution it stutters. Running on Ubuntu
My R7 260X is supposed to beat the Vega 3 and it is able to run Redream in 4K, WTF?

should I wait until CES to start a new build? I was considering buying an R5 2600 and GTX 1070 but if AMD really are coming out with their cheap shit I might as well wait right?

Really dumb question, I have a pc with windows installed on one HDD divided into two partitions C and D. I'll have to connect a HDD from another computer with same drive letters, C and D. Will anything bad happen? I don't want windows to get confused and mess up the drive letters and have data corruption.

most companies don't act like niggers because they don't want to get in trouble over some trivial bullshit like this. but yeah there are some shady characters that you shouldn't give your details to. like there is this fucker that sells steroids who emails my throwaway email account each time he makes a new website every other year or so even though i've unsubscribed, he doesn't give a shit since what he's doing is illegal anyway.

No, it will ask you to give it a letter and the ones already chosen will not be available or it will do it for you automatically. Like a USB key

Ahh I see, thanks for the info. I'm a paranoid retard but it makes sense that windows won't go haywire if you have two hdd with same letters.

Just an advice if you have to reinstall Windows. Disconnect ALL HDDs you do not need, leave the one you want the OS only in and it will fuck up, not boot and take space on other HDDs

Should I use Fedora if I want to be a Java developer?
Oracle only releases rpm files for the Oracle database. Installing it on Ubuntu is a mess.
Or should I just use MySQL?

Well that's good, thanks. It's not a black market I'm wary of, as far as I know it's above-board, I just don't want them getting away with commodifying my data when it wasn't even me who gave it to them.

But how can a heatsink be faulty? I even booted it up without a cooler and it works, so at least it's not the motherboard nor the cpu.

looking for a way to fix this. op's menu button (report, delete etc.) is out of his container

Attached: 1546361441878.png (309x128, 2K)

Yeah mate that's what I did when I got my first SSD.

How to disable Chrome's downloads bar? The one that automatically shows up everytime you download something

AMD has traditionally been total ass at emulators.

As long its not a HP or a Dell 15 5000 Ryzen laptop it will be ok.

Buy her a X240 or something and put a SSD on it.

We can't help you unless you show us what scripts/styles you use or post an example markup.
It's impossible just by looking at a picture.

.opContainer .postInfo {
position: relative;
left: 18px;
}

the culprit is this line deleting it fixes it but i need it for my theme. is there a more specific code i can use? i need to move the OP's post info specifically (itt: /sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread Anonymous 01/02/19(Wed)07:03:05 No.69165527)

.opContainer .menu-button {
}

try display: none !important;
or left:30px; or something

Which theme are you using?
Why do you need to push the info by 18pixels to the right?

Still can't help much without knowing the rest, the default theme has no issue with that.

My mom wanted me to get her a magazine subscription on magazine.store for her birthday, I went ahead and did it but I used a temporary generated credit card from Bank of America's shopsafe thing since I was worried they'd make it hell to cancel after the initial term and bump the price up. Anyway like I thought it seems almost impossible to cancel, but I've cancelled the temporary credit card with my bank so if they try to charge me again in a year it will just bounce and they'll fuck off, right?

Do games that work on Ubuntu work on Debian as well? I'm not sure how Debian's compatibility compares with Ubuntu.

How much are you supposed to cut when you trim a cat's claws? Is it just the sharp point at the end or should you shorten it more?

Just the sharp tip, not more.

Attached: 1519904873309.jpg (450x338, 12K)

I usually just leave my computer running all the time. Anyways, I walked over to my computer this morning after waking up and found that my mouse and keyboard weren't working and the LED's on my keyboard were turning off. I tried unplugging and replugging them and they wouldn't work. My computer wasn't locked up, I could see activity in IRC.

I pressed the power button and Windows 7 when into a shutdown, closing everything and turning off properly. I rebooted my computer and all seemed well momentarily, but then my mouse and keyboard stopped working again. I unplugged them and plugged them into different USB ports and now everything seems fine now. Everything is working and has been working fine for the past hour now.

Should I be concerned? What happened? I'm scared.

Attached: skull2.png (1081x837, 632K)

something happened

I'm not a windows 10 user

Buy a scratching post and pay someone to do it for you. Do it yourself only if you want your cat to hate you.

Check power cable and whether your PSU is running hot, idk what it could be.
Try different USB or even PS/2 ports or different mice and keyboards.
How new is the computer? Did you install new hardware recently? What about drivers?

it could be due for another dust blasting.
it is working fine right now.
it's probably like 5-7 years old, I bought it used as a custom i5 2500 machine.
I did, as a matter of fact install headset drivers, tried out the USB headphone/microphone dongle that came with my Logitech headset and I didn't restart my computer since having installed that.

element code is right but that code makes it disappear. left: 30px; doesnt work for some reason i tried making it important and using index too

Every once in a while my screen will flash black. If I'm watching a youtube video in fullscreen it will stay black until I move the mouse, maybe it always stays black until I move it, not sure. What's going on?

Attached: 1541265587829.jpg (383x483, 30K)

do you have a very old lcd monitor? my 4:3 lcd monitor that I use as a secondary screen does that once every so often while my other, more modern screens, never do it.

I currently use i3. Sell me on dwm.

I bought this one last year. I'm almost afraid it's someone screenshotting everything I'm doing. Or maybe something isn't plugged in all the way.

whats the best way to bypass the trial garbage on this? I don't feel like paying 100 EUR for a program that is supposed to be illegal in the first place.

Attached: file.png (200x200, 23K)

I am currently testing out mpv with the options:
gpu-api=vulkan
spirv-compiler=shaderc

The problem is that when I take a screenshot, the screenshot looks completely different from what mpv is showing.
pic related.
anyone know a fix for this?

Attached: unknown.png (926x1012, 1.42M)

Ungoogled chromium keeps logging me out of my accounts even though I have this in the correct way. Any ideas for why it happens? It's a fresh installation since I just got this computer, didn't happen on my laptop.

Attached: file.png (679x155, 16K)

a bad capacitor maybe? one of my old screens flickers when you turn it on until it has warmed up a bit

(Me)
also it is affected by the content on the screen similar to what you describe, if it shows the same content it can flicker for a long time but if i change the content it can stop flickering

Should i learn python or lua ? I mention that i know c++

I think my secondary disk (10tb internal HDD) is causing my PC to freeze after a couple minutes of writing to it.

downloading a larger Steam game has been causing consistent freezing that requires power button restart. tried updating drivers, combing thru event logs, memory check, system file check, still nothing.

what else is there? gonna shutdown and re-do the cabling to that disk real quick but other than that I'm outta ideas

Attached: a stupid life.png (500x303, 90K)

C++ + Lua is a good combo if you are going for game development

before going to google

whats the best cloning/migrate software a dying hdd drive to ssd? preferably without fucking up the installations and such

My guess is that it could be a bad sector on the HDD, or that the HDD needs to be defragmented

Why do whatever resources you learn from always have to bring up professional careers and jobs? Why can't you just learn from them for fun?

try left:-30px;
or left: 0px !important;