The largest Git repo on the planet

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/bharry/2017/05/24/the-largest-git-repo-on-the-planet/

>Over the past 3 months, we have largely completed the rollout of Git/GVFS to the Windows team at Microsoft.

>As a refresher, the Windows code base is approximately 3.5M files and, when checked in to a Git repo, results in a repo of about 300GB. Further, the Windows team is about 4,000 engineers and the engineering system produces 1,760 daily “lab builds” across 440 branches in addition to thousands of pull request validation builds. All 3 of the dimensions (file count, repo size and activity), independently, provide daunting scaling challenges and taken together they make it unbelievably challenging to create a great experience. Before the move to Git, in Source Depot, it was spread across 40+ depots and we had a tool to manage operations that spanned them.

>As of my writing 3 months ago, we had all the code in one Git repo, a few hundred engineers using it and a small fraction (The first, and largest, jump happened on March 22nd when we rolled out to the Windows OneCore team of about 2,000 engineers. Those 2,000 engineers worked in Source Depot on Friday, went home for the weekend and came back Monday morning to a new experience based on Git. People on my team were holding their breath that whole weekend, praying we weren’t going be pummeled by a mob of angry engineers who showed up Monday unable to get any work done. In truth, the Windows team had done a great job preparing backup plans in case of mishap and, thankfully, we didn’t have to use any of them.

So Microsoft are using GIT? Will this improve the quality of Windows 10?

Attached: Activity1.png (847x512, 373K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18442941
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Will this improve the quality of Windows 10?
no

Biggest bloat in manpower is nothing to boast about.

If you haven't noticed the clusterfuck that the last """"october""""" patch was you haven't been paying attention to their quality standards

this

>Biggest bloat in manpower
but linux users are the bloated ones

>will this improve windows 10
Maybe. Actually. You might have noticed that they have about 3 different superfluous configuration interfaces for every feature. With each being more pointless than the last.
Maybe with git they'll have more visibility into what the company is doing because they can search the branhes and stop developing redundant features.
Maybe that wasted energy could be spent on bug fixes.

It's a long shot.

4000 devs and it's still piece of shit

Are you fucking kidding me ?
Pajeets can't into code... ever.
No, computers that obey the basic laws of physics will be not be able to run fast enough for the cluster fuck that is Windows 10 or any incarnation after it... ever, that'll make software run efficiently.

>implying
The kernel is going a bit overboard, but it's nothing near the jury-rigged, "featureful", "modern" Windows build.

All this manpower for producing such pointless garbage.

They have been using it since even much earlier than the date of that article. This seems to pertain in particular to the windows team but ms's internal github-equivalent was supporting git for even longer and nobody was retarded enough to use source depots. Basically every microsoft software is unbelievably shit with some being good in theory or principle but unusably buggy in practice (typically things that will never ever be shown to end users), so employees do everything they can to avoid ms products. That's the main reason they like nadela, before him it was mandatory to use everything ms only. Now you can work from a macbook if you so want.

Terry Davis tried to warn us. Everything is too bloated. Devs need to ask themselves "what can we remove" not "what can we add"

windows 10 needs at least a 6 core 3.4ghz to run smoothly. even on my system you can sense the bloat slowing it down. i have 16gb of ram and windows 10 needs 5 gigs of it just to idle.

It ran OK on my 1090t, but I had my 1090t OC'd to 3.8Ghz, and 8GB of RAM. Shit idled at like 2GB of usage, nothing open.

On my 2700x and 16GB of RAM, it's significantly faster, but still not as snappy as Linux.

> Will this improve the quality of Windows 10?
> 2017/05/24
No.

No it wont

i was talking about the users themselves

Terry Davis could make wonders with just 100 thousand lines of code.

It's not like Linux kernel is any worse.

isn't windows 10 build on the top of windows NT, win 7, win 8, etc?

no wonder its so huge

Attached: 1546339224745s.jpg (191x172, 5K)

why put it all in one repo though? why not have different repos for the different components?

it's one giant repo with different components inside it

4000 people? Imagine working for a company where you're not irreplaceable and can take a day off or two without all hell breaking loose

I should try to get hired by a big company

It's built on top of previous versions in the same manner that any software is built "on top of" previous versions. They're not going to throw all that development into the trash and start over for each version of Windows.

One of Windows' main selling point though is the incredible backwards compatibility that it has. You can run most binaries written for Windows XP just fine on Windows 10, and businesses LOVE this. That's why Windows RT was a huge flop - it didn't support any existing software. If MS was to get rid of Windows' backwards compatibility, there would be no reason for businesses to upgrade or even stick in the MS ecosystem.

That's 4000 engineers, just for the Windows team.
Even in a small business you should be able to take time off without worrying things will fall apart. If you can't, that's a management failure.

>3.5M files
>300GB
>4,000 engineers
How can 4,000 fucking people make such little progress and build something so garbage? With 4,000 people, you could build a new operating system from scratch in a year.

We are a 3-person company.
Two bosses, owning 50% each, who are not on speaking terms.
And me.

It's really bad but I'm not ready to leave and start looking for work just yet.

Have you seen the video of the guy who installs Doom on Windows 3.1 and then he upgrades all the way to Windows 7 one by one and all of his programs, files and even Doom still work throughout the process?

Keeping everything from 30 years ago still working today is probably like 90% of Microsoft's work.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18442941

>Oracle Database 12.2.
>It is close to 25 million lines of C code.

What the fuck that's nightmare mode.
Why don't you want to leave? Do you enjoy suffering?

this sounds like it's just a matter of time when someone gets a copy of win10 source code and make it available by torrent

I'm Greek. I probably won't find a job that fast.

if that's true then you should start looking sooner rather than later.

It would be unwanted source code.
ReactOS already had a 10 year hiatus after Windows 2000 was leaked.

>It would be unwanted source code.
wrong

>do all the work
>own 0% of the company
That's a yikes from me

The value they bring to the company is the capital that they have and you don't.
Regardless of the ideas and skill you have, you'll starve before you come up with anything of value.
The product that they receive with no strings attached, in exchange for offering you their capital is the deal you strike when you sign the contract.

Of course, if you really did have all of the ideas and connections and could shill like no other, then you'd be getting the capital from investors by yourself.
That's the real yikes.

How come my Windows installation shits itself and dies after one incremental update then?

It's often because of nonstandard drivers and such.
When pajeet-grammers try to detect the current version of Windows they usually do some `uname -a` bullshit and stringsearch for "Windows 9" or a specific NT kernel version.
Obviously when you increment to Windows 7, 8, 10... the version check fails and the driver fucks up.

The solution Microsoft put out, starting on Windows 7 was to force manufacturers to adhere to standard universal drivers written by Microsoft themselves.
Because of this, the upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 should have been completely seamless.

>Have you seen the video of the guy who installs Doom on Windows 3.1 and then he upgrades all the way to Windows 7 one by one and all of his programs, files and even Doom still work throughout the process?
sauce

Nearly all of that is wrong

>Lets find a way to efficiently manage all this bloated code instead of debloating it

yike'd

he was clearly calling linux users fat

Whats so wrong about it?

We are Jow Forums and feminine

Capitalism is a big yikes, when do we get em?