2000s think pads

What would you use early 2000s models of thinkpads for? I mean the ones with single core pentium III / IV / M cpu

retro Windows 98/XP games?
something work related?

tell me.

even older thinkpads, Thinkpad 750C is obvious: you use it to play MSDOS games suitable for Pentium1

Attached: 51GD4P502FL._SY463_.jpg (440x463, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jr2DH1gKd74
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A paperweight

I have 760EL, I use to it to collect dust in some box. There is simply no use for it in a modern world, except collection value if you are into things like that.

I use my 600E with NT4 for all kinds of random shit; shitposting, IRC, e-mail, SSH/serial console, C/FORTRAN development, website compatibility testing, music, running random weirdo emulators like WinEight and Sim390, syncing PDAs and whatever else I feel like. I also have a 755CX and a 760CD I use for pretty much the same random shit on OS/2 and Windows 3.11 respectively.

Pretty sure my 750C is a 486DX/2-50 or maybe a DX-33. I forgot. Definitely not a Pentium, though, the 755CX was the first to get one of those.

The only good thing about it is that there is no touchpad. Touchpad is an abomination, I never can get comfortable with, even on macbooks where it is somewhat ok, but still sucks.

Retards
Based

You can use it for everything unless you are a gamer zoomer retard like those mentioned above. Install something like Void(less bloated arch) on it and program or be productive.

Only if all you do is surf the web and watch movies all day, with abandonware as easy as it is to find nowadays it’s not very hard to put something like that to work if it interests you, it’s just typically redundant for those who are far more interested in what’s on the screen than what’s putting it there.

>there is no use for it

is not suitable for very old games?

I still use my T43p for programming and writing documents. The keyboard is excellent, even better than the X220.

I’d throw a distro of the week on one maybe if I was mainly interested in development or server/terminal work but for a general-use desktop it’s gonna choke on most bread-and-butter applications and you’re probably better off just going with a contemporary software stack most of the time. It’s usually more entertaining and challenging that way anyway, and sifting through abandonware archives is a great way to expose yourself to new use cases and skills you wouldn’t give a shit about learning otherwise.
They’ll run games fine, but they’re not the most compatible especially for DOS stuff where the proprietary hardware in higher-end models like the MWave DSP isn’t well supported. Doesn’t really make them useless, though.

T43p seem to have 2.2GHz Dothan so it pretty fast, like 3.6GHz Pentium 4

Probably you can, but I don't care about old games.
It just feels like a torture using it after you used anything modern for any task. Would use only for museum display or things like that.

Maybe if you’re using some bloated Linux distro or consumer shitheap OS like 9x and trying to run the latest shitty bloated software on them. With a proper operating system and set of applications actually made to run on them it’s not a bad experience at all, you just need to choose the right software.

GAMES! GAMES! GAMES! I LOVE VIDEO GAMES! OLD LAPTOP? PLAY GAMES ON IT DUDE GAMES ARE EPIC. DOS GAMES RULE AND SO DO WINDOWS GAMES! I MAY BE A GROWN MAN, BUT I'M STILL A KID AT HEART TEEHEE. GAME ON!

OS/2 is proper enough?

You okay my dude?

OS/2 is awwwright for T23 but not sure about more recent laptops since I think t23 was the last official OS2 laptop

It is not T23, it is 760EL.
T23 is much more powerful than 760EL.

Certainly, or NT.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jr2DH1gKd74

Can this be the new /tpg/? Also if I get an X60 would it be worth it to install bigger ram and use an external hd? I hear its easier to install libreboot with T60/X60, and I also would like the IBM logo for comfy aesthetic

>Can this be the new /tpg/?
just make one you lazy faggot

Windows 98 retro machine

how bad do you guys think it is to own several old and useless but entirely functional thinkpads?

should they be simply scrapped, not collected?
is it sick to collect them?