I like KDE, but plasmashell is such a piece of shit

I like KDE, but plasmashell is such a piece of shit.

Attached: plasmashit.png (1920x1080, 893K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.manjaro.org/t/kde-tray-bug-after-using-system-tray-settings/56984
blog.xfce.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nice bait. Let me sage you.

>implying plasmashell doesn't constantly crash

Except it doesn't. What shitty distro are you running KDE on?

Arch :^)

MOM CANCEL MY MEETINGS

Its always the search for "non-shitty distro where KDE works" for KDE fags, while other DEs run just fine everywhere, really makes you think.

Just use neon
Also you're using stock...

I found both Kubuntu and Neon to be unstable. I fell for the Manjaro meme and it's rock solid. I should've installed Artix but I'll probably keep this until it breaks, something that seems unlikely.

What broke for neon?

I wouldn't say that a specific thing broke, plasma simply liked to crash some. I didn't really investigate it, but it happened on two separate installs.

Odd what hardware are you using?
(Shouldn't be an issue just wondering)
The only thing that would break for me is the top panel and I said fuck it and used latte dock for more customization

>using KDE unironically in 2019

A i7 930. I had a GTX 780 on my first install. Running a Vega 56 now.

this
I fucking tried, but it's broken on most distros whereas every other DE works without problems. For example drop down window menus get freezed in the top of the screen, konsole doesn't apply profiles, etc. In general kde apps are also buggy. And configuration is a pain in the ass, I change the cursor to adwaita and still some apps keep using the shitty kde default with animations. Everything is just glued together and needs a lot of dependencies.
I literally can install just the gnome shell without any gnome application if I want, and is rock solid. You can just do "alt+f2 r" and everything is reloaded in a second like i3. Keeps under 500MB of ram with no apps open with the settings, pulseaudio, nautilus and networkmanager installed (though all of these are optional, I personally install them for their functionality). Full "modern" functionality with no shitty konqueror or kapps dependencies, just like a window manager.

Not him, but plasma still has that system tray bug.
>b-but just restart it
A bug is a bug.

I've been running Plasma on Arch for 3-4 years, same install.

Willing to bet that you're fucking retarded, and the issue isn't Arch.

Which one? I encountered something weird once, can you describe it in detail?

>konqueror
>kapps
How many years in the past are you stuck exactly?

forum.manjaro.org/t/kde-tray-bug-after-using-system-tray-settings/56984

Nice bait. Did you forget to change the cursor for GTK apps?

$'Debian 9' years in the past
kek maybe is that :p
still it's too bloated even compared to gnome and has too many options. I don't need so many candy eye on my desktop

KDE devs should just understand that most (like 99%) users cannot configure a ergonomical environment themselves, so this "customization" does not really matter and hire a good UI designer. Throw away 50% of shit they have and concentrate on actually making it work. That way it would be a decent DE.

Gbomefags need to be purged before they're allowed to ruin more DEs with their "philosophy" and the garbage they're tossing in gtk.

Fuck the """"1%""""" right? We know better than the user and the user is always wrong.
t. Gnomedev

Yes, fuck the 1%.
That is of course if you want your DE to be successful and usable. If your target is just make customization for the sake of customization then of course you can take different path.

I'm one of that 1% and I'm not even mad.
I have a low DPI screen so I "forked" the default theme and changed the font size of the topbar and changed the padding of the window titlebar. This wouldn't be a problem if I just used it like default or had a high DPI screen.

I don't get it, does this picture shows something broken?

Sent from my KDE Plasma on Debian testing

idk about testing but the stretch version is pretty bad, is like the development of KDE is a roundabout. Gnome 3.22 is ok but KDE 4.9 isn't, and

You'd like it if Gnome was as popular as Windows so that statement would be true.
How else could you justify taking your view to its logical extreme?
The most customization Gnome allows now are Javascript extensions and themes. And they're still looking at ways to remove the latter.

8% cpu usage on idle is unacceptable.

Linux on desktop is like 1% and within this 1% we do not have any statistics on DE, unfortunately.

i run kde on arch and plasma never crashed once
dolphin once stopped working after pacman -Syu but apart from that it worked falwlessly
less issues than ive had with gnome

Its clearly not idling.
Probably it is indexing shit for your menu search or something like that.
Blaming DE on using otherwise unused resources to make your experience better is idiotic. Test it under heavy load (run prime95 or shit like that), if it would not be freeing resources for programs then you would have the right to blame it on that matter.

kde is a piece of shit. so is gnome.
you either run xfce or delete yourself.

what about mate?

i drop a phat turd on it.

>hasn't had an update in 3 years
>only uses like 100 mb less than KDE on boot
>as soon as you open a few programs it uses way more RAM than KDE

I decided to try KDE 5 this year after using XFCE4 since KDE4 was released and KDE 3.5 abandoned.

I can tell you that KDE Plasma has, in fact, NOT crashed the one and a half day I've been (ab)using it.

Attached: [4K] 160306 여의도 우주소녀 (WJSN, Cosmic Girls) 팬사인회 성소 직캠 by Spinel.webm (842x720, 2.56M)

why?
contrary to xfce, lxde and mate actually handle resources well and dont use much ram

>never change a running system
speaking of running, thats something kde know nothing of

When Xfce switches to gtk3 it will quickly become nearly as shit as gnome.

Oy vey using themes?

Attached: file.png (675x629, 81K)

blog.xfce.org

> blah blah current year meme

YOURE HURTING OUR BRAND GOY

Attached: file.png (642x999, 185K)

>contrary to xfce
All three of them handle resources well. What are you on? You got a source for that?

Don't forget that GNOME developers went as far as to ask the Transmission developers to remove system tray support to become a "GNOME app" and they didn't like to hear that such support is needed because other desktops to have them.

Those in charge of GNOME really are wanna-be dictators, do your work according to the way we want workflow to be, your desktop must look and act the way we dictate and changing anything or behaving in a way we don't like isn't allowed. It's disgusting.

>using an ancient DE that doesn't have hardware acceleration or modern features like playback control
Might as well switch to icewm

Only KDE has proper browser integration
Being able to pause any browser media playback using hardware buttons is not possible on any other DE

xfce isnt well optimized
>what is google
im sure you can find comparisons yourself
(or install them and open resource monitor)
also lack of hardware acceleration and gtk3+
dont get me wrong xfce is great but its not very well optimized or feature rich so comparing it to kde is kind of stupid instead of its actual competition (lxde and mate)

XFCE does have GPU accelerated window compositing.

No idea what you mean by "playback control" or how a desktop should have those things. mpv lets you control video playback if that's what you mean and it works the same on all desktops.

Attached: tumblr_o3n7r23X8U1v9ezoeo1_1280.jpg (1280x1919, 278K)

Isn't LXDE dead? I thought LXQt replaced it? MATE, also in my experience, uses more resources; not a lot, but some.

>XFCE does have GPU accelerated window compositing.
Every wm supports stuff like compton, but the actual rendering of the widgets is still done only using the CPU in GTK2

Its disgusting, yes. On the other hand, if it would allow to create actually good DE (that "just works" for 99% and they will not change anything, stable, provides good experience to the user) then why not?
I never seen windows 7/10 users change anything in their UI except wallpaper, font size and some monitor settings, and setting theme to the gray "classic" in win7. Because it just fucking works. Maybe they see it as an example and try to follow it.

They like to pretend its for performance or usability concerns.
The reality is that Gnome wants to be "the linux desktop" and I believe they're using shitty noncompetitive tactics to do so.
When Xfce switches to gtk 3 they will discover the same thing that Cinnamon, Pantheon and Budgie devs did. Gnome wants you dead.

>Isn't LXDE dead? I thought LXQt replaced it?
LXDE is still used and has more features than XFCE, but yes it looks liek development has halted
MATE handles resources better on low end hardware, xfce tends to do better on modern hardware
all of them are solid choices altough xfce lacks some minor features. on the other hand it tends to use less ram but more cpu
also most comparisons are done in vms and kde tends to do worse in vms for some reason which is a pretty big downside if you plan to virtualize

Does XFCE has a search bar in menu like GNOME and KDE?

>why not?
The vast majority of users of a spreadsheet program will only use about 5% of the features available in it. Yet the other 95% of the features need to be there because the 5% of the features people do use differ wildly; removing something will result in someone not getting what they need.

Most people probably do change minor things to customize their desktop but it's different things because people are different. The GNOME way is to assume everyone's happy with their choices and if you're not then screw you.

The actual way to go is to have some very sane default settings which the majority would be happy with. XFCE4 and KDE could do this better, distributions would do it better. You login and you get something's that configured to provide a "good experience". There's a difference between doing that and removing the ability to make your desktop your own and changing the way it looks and feel.

Honestly, I don't even see GNOME as a choice. It's in it's own league of unfriendlyness compared to XFCE4 and KDE.

Attached: 8f951ee6c595e266f9f854ea8ba530de.jpg (1200x1800, 254K)

>When Xfce switches to gtk 3
Already happened, XFCE 4.13 uses GTK3. That's the one shipped with Fedora right now. Was this a huge mistake? Time will tell. I do consider it more likely than not, GTK isn't really a general purpose toolkit anymore (if it ever was), it's developed like it's the GNOME ToolKit and if it breaks applications left and right then that's just fine as long as GNOME itself works.

>Gnome wants you dead.
Well, if you can't provide a better and more attractive product people chose to use.. then ensuring there is no choice is one option. And that's the GNOME way anyway, if there's 3 choices then "users could be confused" so it's "better" to make sure there is no choice and no confusion. Bet those GNOME people would love to run a country and make it worse than North Korea. Want to buy clothes? You can only buy one size in the color gray because customization and personification beyond that would give people a choice and confuse them and be inconsistent with the "GNOME look".

Attached: Cheng Xiao (WJSN) - She is so freaking cute ♥.webm (820x720, 2.62M)

Both KDE and XFCE are worse than GNOME ootb. They probably "could" be better. But there is difference between "could" and "are". That is sad reality of linux DEs - one that provides decent experience ootb is the one that does not want you to change this experience in any way.

That's because you can't retard. No other options. Same with MacOS. How can you live with such low IQ?

>one that provides decent experience ootb is the one that does not want you to change this experience in any way
perhaps, but does it really matter?

Consider this: Does GNU/Linux come pre-installed when you by a computer? No? That's right, it does, in fact, NOT come pre-installed. You have to actively download the ISO and copy it to a USB stick and reboot and install it yourself. You have to be willing and able to customize your hardware's functionality so much that you replace the OS. This is, in fact, the current target audience for GNOME, KDE and XFCE4.

Do you really think people who just spent quite a lot of time changing the OS on their computer can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes customizing their desktop?

Attached: WJSN_1stminialbum-fancam-001.webm (1280x720, 2.57M)

i wanna sex kpops

Its not even a option in windows without shitty third-party programs that you have to pirate or buy (lol).
Normalfags are stupid and you should never factor them into your equation. They aren't "happy" with their desktop, they're just clueless and would use an even shittier one (OSX) in a heartbeat because its associated with luxury.

Gnome could provide a DE with all the customization you could dream of and still be stable. In fact, they DID for years with Gnome 2. Removing customization was a DELIBERATE choice they made to brand themselves.

> it's developed like it's the GNOME ToolKit and if it breaks applications left and right then that's just fine as long as GNOME itself works.
Thats what I meant by "Gnome wants you dead." They must be breaking other DEs with updates to make it more complex for maintainers to stay upstream without adding bugs.

Fuck GNOME

Yes, it is very important.
Just because of the simple fact that most people cannot make good or comfortable GUIs. And if it is not set up by professional UI designers from the beginning it will most likely end up in endless tweaking and changing or dissatisfaction with gui.
A good professional design from the start is very important.
KDE and XFCE should definitely hire good UI designers to make them good from the start, if they ever want to be popular with massses.

I don't know about KDE, but Gnome is a laggy (but robust) piece of shit in Ubuntu 18.04.

Every fucking animation lags.

debian stable + KDE is great

It's not just the flavors that are dead. Linux as a whole is dead.

Attached: 1517503183165.png (715x964, 589K)

For me it's the opposite, gnome feels a lot less laggy than KDE.

Manjaro gnome is buttery smooth its unreal

NASA uses KDE.

Attached: 74d2j8fffq021.png (1896x1081, 603K)

Using Manjaro with KDE for months as my main OS now. I think I had like one crash,

I'm hoping that eventually, someone will fork GTK itself and then all the non-gnome projects will adopt the forked version to avoid features they use being 'deprecated' without warning. I'm hoping that some day, I can have a computer that's 100% free of gnome cancer.