What's the point of one million different Loonix distros when every single one of them come bundled with Stallmans...

What's the point of one million different Loonix distros when every single one of them come bundled with Stallmans shitty Grub2 boot manager even though Refind is far superior in almost every way and maintained by a non-retard?

Attached: refind.jpg (1280x800, 115K)

I'm still using GRUB 2 because it works and I haven't bothered changing it. Sure, I could lose a few seconds boot time if I installed something sensible, but fuck it frankly.

Nice try, FBI

exactly. Linux would actually have a decent market share if they had a main distro that everyone knows about. instead, they insist on freedom to make a bunch of garbage distros, software, and being elitist brainlets.

Attached: 0519_-_0Ow2bPv.png (636x657, 47K)

debian and its derivatives are the standard
if you develop a program, simply develop it to run on debian and you're good
other distros can simply patch and repackage it

Ubuntu/Linux Mint and Red Hat/Fedora are the main distro. The others one are for people are into the linxu world.

opinoins on systemd-boot?
>inb4 nsa backdoor

Or just use the flatpack or snapfag.

>Decent marketshare
Who cares?
As long as linux does what we need it to the number of low iq normies using it doesnt matter.

Graduate from herd mentality.

or just use windows

looks like some /v/ tier garbage catered towards children
>maintained by a non-retard
doubt

use lilo if you don't like grub

if it runs on debian it will run on any other distro you utter moron

>never heard of rEFInd
Why are you even on Jow Forums?

>using efi
why are you even on Jow Forums?

The purpose of a operating system is to provide a interface between hardware and software applications. This is done in order to standardize different hardware configurations so applications can be shared.

A OS without software is useless.

Linux suffers from having too much freedom unfortunately
this would be solved if the Linux Foundation came up with their own distro and shat on the rest

>a shit store
>donwload .exe and .msi from internet
Are you joking nigga?

why fix something that never breaks?

Being able to just download a .exe or .msi without having to worry about if it's packaged for your distro or if your distro has the right tools to compile it is one of the only benefits of using windows and you're delusional if you think it's a downside.

*except with every windows update if you're dual booting

>dual boot
>year of our lord 2019

user...

Dear God, why /v/ love download files from strangers on the Internet. If company or group by your OS don't trust that software, why you should trust?

Nothing is more grognardy than GNU.

Are there any Linux distributions that forego GNU in favor of something that doesn't have sixty years of "we've always done it this way" and "fuck consistency, scriptability, discoverability and readability" baggage?

>As long as it does what we need it to
Some more vidya and adobe shitware would be nice but some devs wouldn't bother even if Linux had 3% market share. Especially the Adobe cuck-a-ducks, no sane Linux user would pay a subscription for software.
Best case scenario: Valve keeps developing steamos for their consoles and normals don't know/care that they're using linux.

It is.
Shared libraries are a good thing and if its in your repos you get streamlined updates for all your software.

does the job

Your distro does not package every piece of software on the planet. Maybe I want to try the latest version of an emulator that is a bitch to build, maybe I want to play an indie game that (of fucking course) is only packaged for ancient ubuntu and I'm using some else. Maybe I need to use an old version of a program for something at work. On Linux all of this shit is possible, but a hassle. On Windows it would be just download the exe/msi and run it, you're done.

Like I said, it's not a big issue, but it is easier on Windows.

Also it's up to me what software I "trust", not my distro packager or anyone else. If you have to sit there and wait for papa canonical to tell you what software is safe and what isn't then maybe macos would be more your speed.

You mean RedHat Enterprise Linux?

>OS without software
imagine being this out of touch
wincucoldry is a severe case of stockholm syndrome
they'll tell themselves anything to justify it
how pathetically sad

>Linux suffers from having too much freedom
that's the funniest thing i've read all day
the sad truth is, it lacks quite a bit of freedom
>if the Linux Foundation came up with their own distro
no one but closeted wincucks would use it because the Linux Foundation is a jewish establishment controlled by corporations, with Microsoft as one of its primary influencers
also, they wouldn't be able to build and maintain a distro anyway because they spend all their money on diversity programs

of course it is, but it still needs some patch
e.g. debian uses /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu while arch uses /usr/lib64

>I don't want to build my own binaries
>windows versions always have pre-built binaries
ask the developer to provide pre-built binaries, you moron

that too

it's up to the distro maintainers how they'll deal with things like that, not the upstream devs

distros are a social construct

no; most derivative distros are though

>wincucoldry is a severe case of stockholm syndrome
So is GNU and, in fact, many unix-isms. And yet none of you faggots take the time to reflect and maybe change something about the unintuitiveness of the entire experience.
Don't tell me to read tutorials. I use Linux professionally and have learned all of this shit already, but I feel pity for all of the others who will also have to do so after me.

reShit doesnt work for those using LVM or LUKS (or both), which you should be doing if you are an adult. Grub literally just werks, it has one job and it does it well.

All the Linux command line tools need to be updated to use some kind of serialisation language like YAML or JSON for output, converting data into human readable plaintext just so that it can be piped into sed to do a half assed attempt at re-extracting the data the first program had direct access to is fucking retarded.

It sure fucking is.

I am also in favor of using a standard format for configs. The end-user can have it parsed into the current column-based view that tends to be common, for example when using vi, while the backend will be much more stable and less likely to fucking evaporate from an invalid option.
This would also allow for better error checking and documentation.

I would also love to have more than two fucking output streams. In addition to error and stdout, I want a fucking verbose stream for debug messages that I can redirect somewhere else without it being part of either the error stream (which causes some software to pretend that the command has reached an error state) or stdout.

>just rely on other people, user, it's the Linux way

No thanks.