/pcbg/ - PC Building General

!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and Vega 56 are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: dual_mobo_01.jpg (425x363, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/
youtu.be/_3iHV0NvLPI?t=24
uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/PureZOOKS/saved/DV7jyc
pcpartpicker.com/list/j84b6s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is a ryzen 2200g better than a r3 1200?

At least it has a capable iGPU

What are you most hyped about, or think will be shown at CES?
And where can i follow what gets presented at CES btw?

hoping for this coming out soon
>asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/
>35-inch UWQHD (3440 x 1440)
>HDR, 21:9 Curved, 200Hz, G-SYNC™

hope these displays will finally come out soon, as a finished product with no compromises - not like the 27" HDR displays

PG27UQ and the Acer Predator X27 were pretty meh, chroma subsampling over 98hz and a loud fan at the back(!) because the displays would get so hot
backlight bleed was also fucking terrible,
HDR glow was such a cancer, having the mouse pointer glow with a white circle of light on darker backgrounds
shit got even worse at the edges, the backlight bleed was shitty but these displays have the 'dimming zones' bullshit, so having the mouse pointer at the edge would suddenly make the backlight bleed 10 times worse (+ that goddamn HDR halo glow)
idk what the fuck they were thinking with these displays, but looking at the price they probably were like
>we fucked up, let's just sell this shit for a ridiculous price to cover the losses, some gaymurs will still buy lol
>let's market the fan on the display as a feature
>+10% gaming performance due to superior cooling of the pixels

the PG348Q was great tho

I'm looking for another 2.5 inch SSD to buy (unless the m.2 variant is the same price or cheaper) can someone list SSD companies from best to worst? I'm specifically looking at Crucial and WD Blue

Why did my GPU blow up the other day? I mailed the PSU manufacturer (no chink shit but a reputable company) and they said their model was more than enough to handle the build i had specified so it musta been the GPU

Did i just get unlucky in regards to sillicone lottery with a shitty card? It was at such a nice discount too, what a fucking shamer

Attached: 1546366218446.jpg (540x733, 34K)

Would it be a better idea to invest in 16GB of RAM or replace my R5 1600 with something from the Ryzen 2 lineup?

i bought a used 1060. should i have waited til after ces? also should i wait to buy the rest of the parts until after ces? does it even matter with a cheap build?

For poorfags, what's better in the long run:
1)To buy a reasonably good latest piece of hardware hoping that this way it last longer, with higher possibility to resell it later
2)To buy pastgen used parts for less, possibly being forced to upgrade more often (but again to slightly dated stuff)
Talking here about price range of ryzen 3 or 5, rx 580/570, gtx 1050/1060

Used. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

Attached: shittel.png (1152x648, 57K)

I just ordered an Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero. what am I in for other than fake VRM that reddit has been complaining about

What's a good build if my budget is €800. I have a midi ATX case, power supply and a 1080p 60fps monitor already.

Attached: 1545829240031.jpg (494x494, 47K)

Wait until amd announcements this month.

buy a dell optiplex with a core i7 for $100-200
slap in mini gtx 1060 and you got yourself a gaming machine for less than a ps4 pro

Is your monitor freesync or gsync?

Sorry if wrong place, but you guys are the only friends I can ask for this.
My 15 year old Frankensteined POS rig died today and i am going to buy a new PC fot the first time.

What should I be looking out for?
My priorities are simply:
Run games at a decent fps, graphics not bothered.
And the ability to run at least 6 dozen tabs of google chrome at a time without chugging, not meming.

Do I just buy a fuck ton of ram and shove it in a cheap build or woukd it be smarter to get something >futureproof?
Money not a worry.

Attached: hideokojima_290x400.jpg (290x400, 9K)

Dont buy cpus now

budget/goal resolution/frame rate

will amds zen2 cpus be am4 or do we not know?

It's old as fuck so probably neither

Yes they will, they promised that last time

£500
1080p (my moniter is cheap)
80 comfortably, 60 at lowest.

An AMD 2600/3600+mobo+8/16gb ram+RX 570/580.

this applies to you too, frend.

oups nvm the pound isn't what it used to be, i think you're gonna need to go lower spec

I am willing to go up in price.
I dont understand so many things and im sorry.
What is the difference between 2600 and 3600 or between the Rx 570/580?

the ryzen 2600 is a currently available CPU from AMD. It may have an "x" after the name, meaning it's faster.
The 3600 is the same tier of CPU, but it's the new generation, that is expected to be released in coming months. It's rumored to be much better.
The RX 570 and 580 are graphic cards, mid-tier, and they can run most new games in 1080p at near full settings. The 580 is faster and more expensive than the 570, but the 570 is widely recognized as the best performance/$ you can buy.

also you should keep Freesync vs Gsync in mind. They are both adaptive sync techs from AMD and Nvidia respectively, and they eliminate screen tearing. They both do basically the exact same thing, but a Gsync monitor will cost 150$+ more than the exact same monitor with Freesync.
It's worth keeping in mind when you upgrade your graphics card, in case you will change your monitor in the future.

this is fake, r-right intelbros?

Attached: 1546443998098.png (894x250, 52K)

What's the most "compact" atx case that can fit a hyper 212 evo and has at least one 5.25" bay?

I move around a lot for my job via car and my old full tower is starting to piss me off because it takes up a quarter of my car's trunk in its box.
I'm also retarded and buy CDs to rip flac files, so the bay is a must.

Anyone?

It'd be better to not be a poorfag and buy 32GB of RAM and a 3600X

Even if it's real, without a 30 game average with 1% and 0.1% it doesn't mean jack shit. At least for vidya.

>rtx 2070
Any brands to avoid?

Leaning heavily towards EVGA, but local microcenter only has MSI and ASUS varieties availible.

Why a Vega 3 from a 200GE runs Dolhpin and Redream at 4K but me I cannot use anything over the native games' resolution using a R7 260X? What's wrong?

The power of indiantel pozzed garbage.

Probably not native 4k.

How far from a decent 4k 144hz gaming card are we? One generation away?
Will 2020 be the year of choice?

Don't post your system specs or anything faggot..

youtu.be/_3iHV0NvLPI?t=24

Doesn't explain why it beats my R7 260X

Thank you very much user. I think I have made a good decision, from pcpartpicker.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£189.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£59.99 @ Box Limited)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£73.06 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: *Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£108.65 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: *Silicon Power - A55 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£55.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£48.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: *PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card (£194.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£42.24 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: *Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£69.18 @ Aria PC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Software: Microsoft - Office Professional 2016 Software (£14.90 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £857.97

Is this reasonable, or have I missed something big? Like this is the first time buying an OS and microsoft office, I just want to be sure.

Sorry for wall.

Whenever a gpu that can handle 4k 144hz comes out, games where it'll struggle to get 60hz without lowering settings will start coming out just like it's been for 1440p for the last few years

You know pcpartpicker has a share link on it right?

delete this and try again with a permalink

Yeah, i saw that shortly after posting, again sorry.
uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/PureZOOKS/saved/DV7jyc

Also, i can guess ill be called a fucking idiot for this one, but i can't seem to buy anything. As in, i cannot find any "checkout" page.

You have to buy individually from the stores pcpartpicker found to be the cheapest

Is it okay to have one PCI slot open?

You mean, i still have to build and install this thing myself?
Fuck sake, im a fucking idiot.
Is there a site where i can customise a rig, they make it then deliver to me?

>I mailed the PSU manufacturer
whats the manufacturer? Does it start with a D?

Probably but you'd be able to find a good one easier by googling from the UK than I would.

I got my new motherboard, PSU, CPU and case so far. Can I assemble these parts and see if the motherboard works? Just want to check for basic DOA.

Thanks anyway man, i really do appreciate the advice

No. a motherboard cant post without a CPU and RAM and you probably cant tell if it has posted successfully without a GPU, iGPU or discrete.

Is first gen ryzen still worth it? People are dumping them real cheaply on the used market.

No you must keep buying graphics cards until they are all filled

if you only want 60-90fps in the harder to run recent games or were only going to get about that level of performance from your GPU+resolution setup you probably wont notice a difference.

So at least 5 more years?
I can hold. Especially this generation. Fuck gay tracing

Probably more since in 5 years we'll be in another console generation.
4K 144Hz might be doable in the waning years of the next console generation

I mean I had a new gpu installed that didn't fit the top one so I had to move it down 2 slots leaving the top one open.

I wonder what's the Athlon of Ryzen 3000
>pic related

Attached: 14c.jpg (207x253, 17K)

I just installed my SSD but it's not showing up in my list of hard drives. How do I actually enable it? I googled how but I don't have the option to format it that everyone is telling me to do

Attached: 1543646619541.png (917x588, 64K)

Looking to build a KVM/server station to run some bot scrips, media center, personal "cloud" and some NN projects. Currently am using 1700 OC 4.0ghz pegged at 45-55% constantly looking for some headroom.

Looking for some input on my 3 options right now on 3 CPU options.

1. New TR 1950x
2. Used dual E5-2690 V3 (hp Z640)
3. If true wait for ryzen 9

If making alternate recommendations must be ecc compatible.

It wouldn't happen to be a 250GB model would it?

Yeah, why?

Attached: 1505930672958.png (645x729, 50K)

Oh damn, 250GB ssds are notorious for this problem.
You're going to have to call it in on warranty

Right click and click new volume. Format NTFS

It's there. Need to format. And mount? IDK with windows. But it's there.

What's a good 140mm airflow fan for less than $20? (Maybe a little more) I'm looking at the Arctic BioniX F140, it has 104 cfm but it doesn't list the static pressure so I'm not too sure. I'll be using it for intake with a dust filter on it

but i wanna throw my money away now! it's my money jg wentworth said so

>And mount? IDK with windows
Windows always auto mounts everything, unless you explicitly offline a drive or it doesn't recognize the partitions.

>Budget: $700-900
>pcpartpicker.com/list/j84b6s
>Gaming, music production, video editing

64c/128t Rome.

Personally I would go up a size on ssd if your going to run any games off it. If you can't swing 16gb ram you should really look into another 2x4 setup in the future.

But got a freind with almost identical except for 1070 no complaints from him.

Come on man, spending that much on 8GB?
It's only like $40 more for 16GB at the same speed

Why isn't the motherboard's price listed?

I wish but on a 2-3k budget and 128gb ddr4 ecc, and raid 10 array eats that pretty quick

Out of stalk

>144hz 1080p monitor
>6600k
>16gb ddr4 3000mhz
>rx 480 8gb

Is upgrading from an rx 480 to a gtx 1070 worth it? In Overwatch I get great frames because the game is well optimized. In other more demanding games like Destiny 2 I drop frames pretty considerably. In general, I want 144hz everywhere.

Also, is buying on ebay alright? Lots of 1070's there are like in the $250 range which is the sweet spot for me.

The less I have to upgrade in the future the better, but I'd like to not spend more than like $300 unless it's an amazing value.

ebay is ideal if you're a buyer, if anything happens they'll side with you 99% of the time, I'd say go for it

IF the leaks are true, what would be a better idea fir gaming: The 3700X or the 3800X? The 3800X has lower clocks because it has more cores, so I'm thinking the 3700X would be better (and cheaper)... What do you guys think?

currently have 2x4GB 3000MHz CL16, 2x8GB 3000MHz CL15 arriving tomorrow (all 4 are LPX).

gonna be a fun time that will only end in one of two results.

Is the noctua NF-A14 a good airflow fan? It has 107 CFM, 2000 RPM, and 4.18 mmH2O

are aftermarket coolers a meme or is actually worth to pay for an hyper 212 evo?

aftermarkets are needed for overclocking. if you're not doing that then stock cooler is fine.

get the 15, it has pwm and the 14 does not
i just got my 15, damn this thing is ugly but works like a beauty

im thinking ndh15, sorry. the a14 is great and is pwm obv.

I just upgraded to a 3440x1440/120hz gsync display and have a gtx 1080 which is decent, but definitely not enough at that res. Would it be worth it to spend the money on a 1080ti/2080? This is assuming I can get 350-400 back from selling my 1080

Attached: 1537454166_nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-vs-gtx-1080-ti-which-graphics-card-should-you-buy-990x557[1].jpg (990x557, 129K)

The leaks aren't real, but some basic guesses made in them are likely.
Like AMD copying Intel's i9 thing and making an R9 with something more than 8 cores. Anything else like frequency and pricing and core count predictions is completely made up and any resemblance to the eventual reality will be purely coincidence.

Ausfag here. Found this last night.
Should I run with it?

Attached: Screenshot_20190103-005154.png (1080x1920, 286K)

You got your answers last night.

Hardware, unlike software, can only really become obsolete when it isn’t powerful enough to complete tasks, so buying older hardware doesn’t make it any closer to obsolescence, buying weaker hardware does. So the moral of the story really is to buy the most power per dollar you can find at the time, because that’s how much power your system is gonna have forever.

"Money not a worry"
>goes on to say he has a £500 budget

What RAM do you have at the moment? The answer to your question is that you probably are going to want to upgrade both, but I personally would go CPU first, make sure you’re not just upgrading for no reason though, what do you use your PC for?

Depends where you live, but there are lots of companies that make PCs (think DELL), but if you’re looking to do some gaming there are also system integrators that focus on the market such as iBuyPower

Yes, you can have as many empty PCIE lanes as you want, same as when you buy a car with cup holders, you don’t need a cup for each one

Also fine, some will have a ‘preferred’ slot, but it’s not as relevant as it is for something like RAM