Why does Jow Forums hate debian?

It just werks, more stable than Fedora, fairly simple to install,etc

Attached: images.jpg (199x253, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/search?keywords=etherape
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because contains outdated, buggy software

Nobody hates Debian. Stop baiting asshole.

I love debian it’s my favorite operating system period

>Because contains outdated, buggy software
Debian gets the newest packages hours before Ubuntu nigger. Educate yourself.

Debian is unironically my favorite system, ran debian 7 for all its 2 full years. I'm using ubuntu LTS now because we all use that for work so whatever.

Debian women
Idiotic ideology wars that deliberately cripple the selection of software in the repos
Idiotic SJWism that alienate developers
Old and archaic versions of software riddled with security flaws and lacking in features

Ubuntu is slow as fuck, that's a horrible example.

Fedora is bleeding edge, not supposed to be stable.

Very outdated packages on Stretch and very broken testing packages on Sid. Being more stable than fedora is not an achievement and the gui installers for literally every OS is fucking shit compared to 9 commands in Arch.

are you retarded?
Whole point of Debian is to have package version stuck until next version only applying bugfixes, but often those packages get improved in new version and bugs fixed, so you are stuck for 2 years with buggy outdated software until Debian releases new version

>so you are stuck for 2 years with buggy outdated software until Debian releases new version
You know there's a thing called backports, right?
You can also compile the software yourself...

Debian are notoriously slow to implement backports, it took them forever to patch the heartbleed bug while everyone else had a fix in a day or two.

They backport only most important stuff.
>muh compile it yourself
absolute state of Debianfags

Install Arch like a real man

Arch doesn't have 10% of Debian's software in it's repos

You are fucking clueless and have never used Debian before. There are four different Debians and you're basically a nigger bitch that only parrots what others say. The experimental branch gets packages sooner than Arch, and still works better (and that's hardly a feat, considering that Arch is a toy).

>it's just too stable for a high flying fag lile myself

why would arch need apt?

>muh package count
more like 60%, but with those 60% has more software that normal user compared than Debian
Find me i3-gaps or OSS version of VS Code in Debian repos
pro tip: you can't

>experimental branch works better than Arch
sure buddy

Allow me to rephrase:
Arch's software repository doesn't have 10% of the software available in Debian's seftware repository

Well maybe I'm not a normal user, because a significant amount of software I use isn't on Arch's repo.

I've been using testing as my main workstation os for the last 5 years and found it to be a pretty pleasant experience. I end up getting new software relatively quickly but only after it's spent some time baking in sid.

I think it's unfortunate that stable is seen as the "default". For non-server use cases testing is probably more along the lines of what most folks want.

I've used debian testing in the past, and the last straw for me was when they were still using a 2 year old version of libvirt that didn't support new KVM functionality in the kernel.

>significant amount of software I use isn't on Arch's repo
there is also AUR, for which Debian has no alternative expect muh compile it yourself and muh check manually for updates, where you can find every goddamn piece of software that exists in this universe, but need for AUR is low, only 7/700 packages are from AUR on my machine

I'm not an Arch user, but you're positively retarded. AUR exists.

In that case enjoy your lack of PGP and malware infected software.
Yes, you're supposed to read the PKGbuild file but if you actually reread the goddamn PKGbuilds for every AUR update then you would be wishing to get Debian instead, even if you do read the PKGbuild, it doesn't protect your from MITM attacks since the PKGbuilds aren't signed by a trusted party not to talk how must PKGbuilds use the theoretically broken SHA1

*use the theoretically broken SHA1 to check the downloaded sources

Dude, you literally argued "lol just download some arbitrary third party stuff and compile it from source" not even five posts ago.

Thing is with Debian the need to compile something from source is almost null, very few software isn't on Debian's repo, while on arch you endup having to install half the packages from AUR, that's the difference.

AUR helpers literally allow you to view downloaded PKGBUILD before executing, it's still easier than leaving onto the user to figure out how to compile and package software by himself and also to manually check for updates

>Thing is with Debian the need to compile something from source is almost null
See >very few software isn't on Debian's repo
Yeah, except you're literally running two year old versions in the bleeding edge "testing" version of your distro.

Prime example of why I hate Debian.Most of it's users act like smug macfags.

>he doesn't use i3-gaps
>he doesn't use open source version of VS Code
>he doesn't use latest Firefox
>he doesn't use decent equalizer for Pulseaudio
Well it's almost null if you are fucking pleb like you are

Well, it's the same community that fosters cultural marxists and SJWs, did you really expect them to have any form of nuance on any subject?

You open the PKGBUILD and verify the urls it downloads from. Whew, so hard.

Yes but on Debian I don't have the need to check the PKGs because everything is on the main GPG signed repo, and again, I would still need to download the PKGbuils and the source fils from multiple connections to ensure there is no MiTM attack due to lack of trusted pgp.
Well, I don't use KVM so idk about that, that sucks, but that's no my usecase

>equalizer for pulseaudio ewwwwwwwwww

It's hard when it has to be done as part of a routine every update

Attached: 2019-01-02-230004_985x667_scrot.png (985x667, 669K)

>Well, I don't use KVM so idk about that, that sucks, but that's no my usecase
But it is a usecase for 70-80% of people doingvirtualization using Linux as the hypervisor.

Yes, but 80% of users aren't doing virtualization.

Methinks sysadmins, cloud providers and even most companies with their own servers would disagree.

it's aur which means user contributed so there are no mods to put gpg or someshit
slackbuilds.org is better I think

>It just werks,
Yeah, more so than any other freetard distro, but Ubuntu just werks even more by not being one.
Plebian is sorely limited by its dedication to the GNU philosophy. There are many systems that won't even run it simply because non-proprietary drivers don't exist for some of those systems' components.
>inb4 just use the installer option to load the missing firmware from a removable storage device
1) extracting the needed firmware can be a pain in the ass, and 2) once you've extracted it, the option to load it from the removable storage doesn't even fucking work anyway.
>inb4 just use the image that comes with proprietary drivers
Yeah I tried that and it was pretty good once I actually found the link but the link is hard to find because muh GNU philosophy not wanting people to use nonfree drivers for their nonfree hardware that they didn't build with their bare hands. Ubuntu takes a better route by just accepting the fact that some proprietary software is mandatory in this fucked up modern world and just giving the user as much freedom as it can while still respecting their need to actually fucking use their computer.

VMs are an extremely common usecase.

what the fuck, Debian runs even behind CentOS. Sure they have old glibc and kernel, but they update userspace like libvirt and desktop applications like the gnome suite or gimp.
Debian is trying to make the impossible maintaining every fucking software in an old version. It would be better if they just did a small selection of packages, a base system like CentOS is. So that you could compile your programs on top or just installing them from the software developer as an appimage, windows like. That way the quality of the core system is impecable, you have a stable system that works and bleeding edge on the desktop programs. New drivers, new virtualizationn applications, etc. The basics should be top priority but no, Debian has shit prioritys.
I changed to Debian from CentOS because I thought security updates and newer kernel would be nice on my laptop. But actually the kernel makes my battery last about the same, both have most bugfixes and functions ported from the newer kernel anyways. And for the purpose I changed... the updates have been dead like for the whole week, even though I read fucking CVEs affecting Debian stretch, they are still affecting the system because Debian is busy deleting weboob from the repositories instead of securing their packages. Just wow, I think for a server even Ubuntu has their security fixed faster. And just I thought that Debian was better in that regard since they don't push the newest packages.
I'd stay away from Debian to be honest. The project got suicided hard.
RIP Ian, now all that is left is SJWs on Debian.

Weren't we talking about desktop use?
Because if we were talking about servers then I will just laugh at whoever recommends Arch as server
Yes they are, I guess if I needed the latest libvirt functionalities I would look into some other distro, maybe centos or opensuse or something idk, hopefully something with pgp signed packages.

Seriously though, I don't hate on Arch, actually I love Arch live USB to fix (usually non-arch) systems, I also have Arch on my tablet where I don't need much software, but as main workstation arch has some problems that don't suit my needs

>the updates have been dead like for the whole week, even though I read fucking CVEs affecting Debian stretch, they are still affecting the system because Debian is busy deleting weboob from the repositories instead of securing their packages.
Literally the only reason for me to consider ditching Debian

It's more difficult to install than Mint and it's much worse out of the box. It's less convenient.

>Weren't we talking about desktop use?
Someone mentioned servers. Anyway, I do heavy virtualization on my workstation as well.

>Because if we were talking about servers then I will just laugh at whoever recommends Arch as server
It's unironically a better alternative than Debian testing. But then again, so is literally any distro. Even CentOS is more recent and updated.

>now all that is left is SJWs on Debian.
Sad, but true.

I hate Debian for these reasons With the exception of the outdated software which is only a problem on Stable.

This, and I say this as someone who abhors Linux Mint.Debian needs to upgrade it's image it doesn't have anything to offer that it's offshoots don't do better.

debian is peak comfy

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-02 23-29-32.png (1920x1080, 2.72M)

Everyone will be back on stock Debian when Microsoft buys Canonical in the next few years.

>debian women will find out where you live and email your boss and accuse you of rape because you wrote man mount in the terminal

>comfy

Every distro as it's pros and cons, in my case lack of PGP is a big con, lack of updated libvirt doesn't affect me personally, also I also value having little updates so I can spend more time actually using the computer than waiting for the package manager to update the system and make me run out of space.
As stated here right now I may actually look for another distro because of that weboob story, but I doubt that I can find a distro that fits my needs as well as debian does.

>in my case lack of PGP is a big con
Then use Fedora.

> also I also value having little updates so I can spend more time actually using the computer than waiting for the package manager to update the system and make me run out of space.
Well, I value security fixes.

um does Kali Linux count as Debian?

Attached: 2019-01-02-174143_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 322K)

Well, that's the advantage of debian, is that packages still get security fixes, but I will check on fedurra

Damn, Kali looks like THAT?

>is that packages still get security fixes,
See

Awesome!

>3k packages
megayikes

A Microsoft led Linux distro? Fuck yeah.

I guess it's time for me to distrohop again

well yeah Kali Linux has a lot of tools included, it's sort of the point.

I hate them for removing weboob.

I also appreciate security backport instead of full rebase of package to upstream, that way there's little to download and the system stays secure.
Debian has lost its appeal since they take forever to backport even security fixes, it doesn't take much to notice, that it feels weird apt update doesn't give you any updates for a lot of time.
Then I checked CVEs and there were quite a bunch affecting stable that aren't fixed. Whereas Red Hat or faster distros like Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo have already sorted them out.
I'd consider CentOS if you're okay with compiling and getting your software yourself, it even has newer desktop applications than debian, on par with Ubuntu LTS I'd say. Those should be updated sooner since they don't actually connect to internet nor are part of the core system, it runs over xorg so no problem if they crash, the whole thing still works. Whereas Fedora they change the base version of packages when another release is made, and backport fixes on the current release. So that 28 doesn't change as much for a year but every six months there's newer software. They also rebase packages for a release if backporting a security update isn't viable. Thus it's quite stable even though it has new software, and also has a small base like CentOS so they are not trying to hold the whole world of software like Debian.
I look like a red hat shill, but seriously, I think money plays a big factor when speed of bugfixes is involved, people do shit when they are paid. Gentoo and Arch I don't recommend for that spirit since they rebase the whole thing. Slackware may suffer the same as Debian, and Ubuntu we all know it for being a train wreck most of the time.

>Gentoo and Arch I don't recommend
Those guys are usually pretty quick to fix security issues, not always, but usually.

Raspbian is literally a joy to work with over ssh. I could stay in terminal all day...
Plus running on the Pi means I have an always on server stack.

>kali linux
>chrome

lmao what the actual fuck retard

Kali is an excellent tool, but anyone claiming to run it as a work environment is a gigantic edge lord.

t. doesn’t know how to update packages

Jow Forums wants a time sink, a hobby OS.

doesn't everyone in Jow Forums ?

What's wrong with using Chrome on Kali?
I don't like Firefox.

>What's wrong with being a tripfag, I like having gigantic cocks in my mouth.

Who are you quoting? I never said that.

Go back to fucking reddit you special snowflake retard. If you don't understand why running chrome with Kali is fucking stupid maybe you should kill yourself and save your parents the trouble of drowning you in a bathtub.

But Google Chrome is my favorite web browser because it werks the best. There's no reason not to use it unless you're some crazy freetard.

dumb mr reddit

Now I know your trolling. Running Kali with Chrome entirely defeats the purpose of Kali.

One can want decent privacy without having to dive into the Stallman deep end.

>Now I know your trolling. Running Kali with Chrome entirely defeats the purpose of Kali.
Please explain, it's just Debian with some pen testing and forensics tools installed. Chrome doesn't stop any of that from working.

>Retard who doesn't know why he'd want to avoid newer software

>Running Kali with Chrome entirely defeats the purpose of Kali.
lmao, spot the guy who knows jack shit but pretends to know it all (it's u)

Idiot, Kali is used as a tool for securing networks, where as Chrome actively opens ports, listens to them, sends telemetry and logs your processes.

I swear you fucking mouth breathers get stupider every year.

debian is based and you, cuck, should know how to pin your shiny new software

>based
>removes a package because it has "boob" in the name

I don't even use Debian, I use Windows 7 like any sane person does, but I do know the facts.

Why are you focusing only on that and ignoring all the other names that intentionally made reference to rape and child abuse? Are you just uninformed or legitimately trying to be disingenuous?

>expecting these insane ideologues to be consistent
Those will be next on the chopping block given enough time.

>Rape and child abuse.
I'm sure

These are the people who want to change slave master terminology.

Attached: 1546328070259.png (236x191, 96K)

>removes a package because it has "boob" in the name
that's a lie. check why they removed it.

Oh yeah it had other mean words in the code. Why hasn't debian removed etherape yet? That's very offensive to rape victims and promotes rape culture. I should complain on the mailing list.

>etherape
lol
kys

This.
Shit is so difficult to use, that Linus T. can't use it.

Why does debian have software that excludes minorities in their repo? They should take it down at once.
packages.debian.org/search?keywords=etherape

What's wrong with liking having gigantic cock in your mouth?
What's wrong with being gay?

There's many things wrong with being tripfag though

Kali is for offensive security. You can turn off Chrome and then steal the coffee shop password with JacktheRipper

You're thinking of Tails, the privacy focused Distro

If I wanted automatic updates to break my system when I wasn't looking, I'd be using windows.

must of been away from Jow Forums longer than i thought. whats the new gOS?

>debian
gnu/gentoo

Attached: debian.png (741x247, 101K)

It's degenerate and morally wrong.

Debian Stable is primarily for servers. If you want to run Debian on your desktop, you would be best off running Debian Testing or Unstable.

the installer is hot garbage
the documentation sucks and is from 2000