The age old debate

The age old debate.

Attached: seagate wd.jpg (1024x832, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techreport.com/news/29670/seagate-hit-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-3tb-drive-failures
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've been using the same Seagate 1tb since 2012 ama

Been using a 1TB WD Green HDD for over 8 years now.

shit

which one do i get bros? i've had success for both, i just need a 4+ TB drive to backup some stuff because my older drives are way too old

It's always going to be a gamble honestly. You can never know if any change in quality snuck into the manufacturing process. I'm amazed this shitty green drive has served for so long. I only buy SSD's when I upgrade so I don't have any recent experiences to tell you about either.

when i do my new build i'll get a new m2 ssd but i just don't like how the triple/quad levels are trading off lifespan for price

i saw a 6TB WD blue on amazon the other day for around 110 but some of the reviews had straight up failed drives after 4 months

really hate to back my data up on one drive then it dies and i'm fucked

There isn't really a definitive answer. I've had good luck with WD and terrible luck with Seagate, Others have had he opposite. All I can say is that out of 2 internal and 6 external WD drives I've only had one failure in a decade and I went through 3 Seagates in two years.

i had a WD drive fail on me in 2011 and have used seagate ever since.

Also i dropped a dumbbell on an old 240gb seagate drive and it still works despite the top casing being dented.

SSD

I just had a 10TB Seagate HDD fail on me today and can't be repaired with SeaTools

it was a reference drive I got for free though from a storage engineer friend

Attached: ishygddt captcha.jpg (375x375, 34K)

Buy whichever's cheapest and then use ZFS or Btrfs. Drives die, and its pointless trying to guess in advance which make or model is gonna be good or bad.

I remember reading that you should avoid hhd that are not a binary amount.
I'm not sure what word I'm looking for but what I mean is like 1TB is ok, 2TB is ok, 3TB is no good, 4TB good, 5TB bad, 6TB bad, 7TB bad, 8TB is ok, 16TB is good but 9-15 are bad.
It's something to do with the manufacturing process and anything outside those numbers are dodgy.

depends on size and specific models really.

Attached: blog-Q3-2018-quarterly-chart.png (782x672, 77K)

there was a disastrously bad batch of seagate 2tb drives in 2011/12 i had 2 die without warning and personally know 3 other people who had catastrophic data loss because of them ( good bye wedding photos)

I still have a bunch of 500gb WD laptop sized usb portables from 2008 i still use as daily beaters. They have been all over the world with me and x-rayed countless times. Pretty fucking remarkable.

I seriously need a NAS and bunch of new storage but i simply cant afford it at the moment :('''''

Attached: 1546215652383.jpg (689x768, 96K)

It's ALL A SCAM, they all die eventually. There is no escaping it, these are not devices that last. Specially not Seagate. I have several dead 3 TB Seagate HDDs. I sent one that died after 3 months back in under their warranty program and got a dead "refurbished" HDD back. Another Seagate 3 TB died a month after that. I didn't bother to send that in under warranty since Seagate would just replace it with yet another dead HDD.

WD is slightly better than Seagate. I've had a WD green drives fail within 2 years and a WD Black drive fail after 11 years.

The only escape from the horrible quality of modern harddrives is to use six drive RAID6 configurations for storage and RAID1 for OS and programs. That way storage isn't lost even if two of six drives fail and you're fine as long as you replace the drives before a third failure.

Attached: IMG_20190103_022500-edited.jpg (3996x2150, 3.57M)

personal experience is that WD always fails. have not yet had a WD drive that hasn't failed eventually.
Seagate at worst gets a few reallocated sectors when using a worn out cable. Otherwise, I have 10+ year old drives that still work

Just don't buy the 3TB drives, they seem to fail all the time. but 1TB or 2TB drives, i bought a bunch used and they all work

Attached: 1522538491434.png (586x509, 33K)

> MAXTOR

Damn that hit me with some hard core FEELS

Attached: 1525212737678.gif (220x160, 52K)

What about Toshiba

I have a 2 tb Seagate drive that I bought a couple years ago for $50 and it hasn't failed me once. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I have a lot of Toshiba 3 TB HDDs and none of them have failed me, I've actually never had a Toshiba HDD fail me ever. Their drives are quite fast but they are also noisy.

While this may make it appear that Toshiba drives are good it is by no means proof. I'm fairly sure the first Toshiba 3 TB's I bought were put in an array in 2014. Also bought some in 2016. WD red's in that array have also not failed but Seagate 3 TBs have. Anyway.. it's not been that long and a Toshiba HDD could fail me tomorrow for all I know.

I have two failed Seagate 2 TB HAS HDDs in the recycling bin. I think they lasted something like 5 years, not entirely sure.

There is no debate, get the cheapest one you find for your storage spec

The 3TB Seagates pretty much sucked through and through, but I've never had any problems with Seagate drives of every other size. WD on the other hand, I've had bad experience with their 500GB Blues and 4TB Greens.

techreport.com/news/29670/seagate-hit-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-3tb-drive-failures
Yeah those 3 TB HDDs Seagate made were particularly and unusually bad. There was even a lawsuit over the high failure rate of those drives. And it was really high: I bought 4 of those 3 TB HDDs and 3 of those failed within 6 months. That's a 75% failure rate within 6 months and 100% within one year. That's .. bad.

A tip regarding WD Greens in general is to disable the extremely aggressive HDD parking on those drives. I'm fairly sure my WD Green 2 TB failed after about 2 years because I didn't read about it's insane head parking until after it died on me.

My particular experience involved buying a WD Green 4TB and it was DOA, so I sent it back for a refund, I tried again from a different seller the next week and it was also DOA, so I said fuck it and bought a Seagate 4TB, which is working perfect right next to the 2nd Seagate 4TB I bought immediately after getting the first. This is about 3 years ago.

It sucks that buying HDDs is such a crap shoot.

Interesting, I have one of those drives. Light use, under 15,000 hours powered on and slowly failing with an increasing reallocated sectors count.
Anyone ever signed up for these class action lawsuits?

The only intelligent comment in this post.

>because I didn't read about it's insane head parking
Speaking of which, anyone here considering buying Seagate Barracudas might want to also consider that they park like motherfuckers too. They at least seem to try to be smart about it, but under some usage patterns you can rake in a stupid amount of load/unload events.

Like modern WD drives you can't fix it at firmware level (as with wdidle3), but unlike WD drives you CAN set power-saving parameters at any time and completely disable head parking - you'll just have to do it on every single power-on (with smartctl for example: smartctl --set=apm,off ).

never had a wd. I was gonna get one but best buy was out and I needed a new drive because my seagate was clicking and I feared losing data so I just got a samsung ssd instead.

Ive been using Western Digital since 2004

Never had a drive of their fail but I heard the eco-friendly green drives are shit even though i never used them.

Western Digital Red label NAS drives for the win

And they are decently priced to.

regular home users grab a 64mb cache drive and people doing a large raid for servers or professional use grab the 256mb cache variants.

wam bam thank you mam

The only time I've ever experienced a head crash was with a six month old WD. Everything else they've made was solid.