Jow Forums - /spg/ - Smartphone General

MEME MIX 3 Edition (Now with subject line!)

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: meme mix 3.webm (641x714, 855K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-4a
youtu.be/P4e_4olRzaY
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_max_3-8963.php
anandtech.com/show/13582/samsung-galaxy-note9-performance-review-snapdragon-vs-exynos
anandtech.com/show/12520/the-galaxy-s9-review
anandtech.com/show/12615/improving-exynos-9810-galaxy-s9-part-1
anandtech.com/show/12620/improving-the-exynos-9810-galaxy-s9-part-2
youtu.be/_5-bo8a4zU0
androidcentral.com/samsung-messages-app-randomly-sending-pictures-some-users
true-tech.net/oneplus/oneplus-rolls-probable-spyware-app-oneplus-5t-oreo-update-5-0-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>4/64 Global version
>less RAM

Attached: 1386059913716.png (240x311, 43K)

kek

I'm still using my note 4, but I think his time is coming. Camera is fucked and is slowing down. I don't think I'll spend as much in a phone this time.

with how cheap good phones are getting, you won't really have to.

what phones should I keep an eye on in the next months for ~300€?

Moto G7

>new phone supposed to arrive tomorrow
hope so, using a half broken backup phone while deciding on the new one was not fun

Chinese phones are the way to go. Xiaomi has the best bang for buck

Whats a lineageOS? its a different kind of android or just a fucking rom?

Both. It used to be cyanogen.

My uncle needs a sub $100 phone for going to Nicaragua.

The network providers over there only provide 3G.

Is the Xiaomi Redmi 4 the overall best choice?
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-4a

He just wants one for pictures and Facebook.

Attached: 1543410736483.png (400x547, 152K)

Carrier: Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
Size: Medium, idc that much about size
Budget: High end (iPhone XR/XS/Pixel 3)
Camera: I'm not a snapchat thot, don't need it to be that good, just decent
Features: I might wanna load a custom rom, not sure yet
PS: I'm open to more unusual/niche phones as well, if you have anything cool in mind you never get the chance to recommend.

i asked before in one of these threads and was recommended the Samsung Galaxy and OnePlus, i don't think those are bad recommendations but just looking for a second opinion

If you have any more questions that could help narrow it down ask away

>Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)

what does this mean. verizon is cdma. is xfinity mobile different?

Xfinity Mobile operates off Verizon and their Xfinity hotspots.

Xfinity got in on the MVNO game, so they offer services like Straight Talk and Net 10 do

LGV30 (T-Mobile) is my daily driver only because of its wide angle lens, HiFi DAC, and superb audio recording. I've yet to find a phone that handles concerts and other loud noises better than this thing. Do any other phones capture bass as good as this?

youtu.be/P4e_4olRzaY

Got a Pixel 3 and found out that the shielding in it is shit. Put your ear to the to in or out of a call and buzzing, whining, and other electronic chatter.
If you own one and pretend to not notice it, run an internet speed test and listen to your device whirl.
It's hilarious how google charges $800-$1000 for this shit, and refuses to even acknowledge the problem.

>Restoring apps using TitaniumBackup
>losing "pop up notifications" after restoration

Is this possible? ( Note that I do the restore AFTER a complete reset of my phone.)

Any solutions?

>mfw OP3 rooted still doing all major tasks flawlessly

Is there a better phone in the last few years that was affordable and didn't have shit tier gimmicks?

Attached: IMG-20181230-WA0001.jpg (399x415, 30K)

What Magisk modules do people here find useful? All I have is Doze GMS and Grid Recents.

What about Xposed Modules? Tempted to try this out again after forever.

I'm getting the Exynos S9+ and no one can stop me!

so what's the state of nokia and Motorola phones? what is the flagship for these two in particular? how do they compare to a oneplus 6T?

No phone from any of those two companies matches with the 6T

>tfw 13 hours sot on my exynos note 9
Kinda wish it was snapdragon though im not mad
Anyways how can i tell if its unlocked yet?

Attached: SmartSelect_20190103-090705_Gallery.jpg (1043x984, 155K)

What the FUCK? How is it that good on Exynos?

wtf? I got like 7 hours and refunded

whats a phone with expandable storage then since the oneplus 6T doesn't. As much as i hate the no headphone jack i'll live.

I'm still using a LG G5 that I got for $600 from my carrier, is there any reason to upgrade when new flagship phones cost almost $1000?

128gb isn't enough for you or is it a matter of principle

matter of principle

P O C O
O
C
O

>High end
>iPhone XR

Come now, expandable memory is all about needing more storage. If 128gb does the job for you, it's not a compromise worth much. The headphone jack at least would come in use more often than the need for extra memory. The 6T really is a great phone performance wise. Just buy it and enjoy it

eh fine, reviews have been all great from what i've seen. Before I buy anything coming out in early 2019 that'll be worth it instead?

Got the Redmeme Note 6 Pro.
You are all on drugs, "no changes" ?? lmao

+ front camera is on a WHOLE DIFFERENT LEVEL, it crushes the competition and the note 5 as well.
+ build is more aluminum now instead of plastic
+ notch extra screen helps everyday
+ android pie on route for February

- speaker isn't as strong or perhaps it's stereo now? not sure
- notification icons still won't show but it's already fixed on the beta

it's only ten bucks more so don't be retarded and get the new model

+AI mode gives real improvement on front too

Oneplus 7. It'll be pricier though.

same here, I get 16 hours with medium power saving mode

Turns out you need to manually turn on performance mode in EMUI for the CPU to run at full speed; I've been using my P20 Pro in gimped default mode for months (140k->216k in AnTuTu)

I honestly have no idea where to begin with buying a phone. The only real requirements I can think of are good privacy / security (i.e. minimum data to companies like google) and looks simple / sleek. Good battery life too I suppose.

Then buy from a company that enables easy bootloader unlocking, like Xiaomi, OnePlus, Sony or Essential

Switching from Xiaomi Redmi 3 only because i broke the screen. Use japanese frequencies. Spending around 30000円(little under 300$)
+memory card slot
+dual SIM
+earphone jack
+5" or just a little bit more
+4000mAh or more
+clean as possible android
+no glass bullshit case, I have some dents on back of old phone and I'm glad it was aluminium
Should I stay loyal to the Chink? What is good right now? I was very happy with the
old phone.

Should I go for a Nokia 6.1 or Moto G5S? They're about the same price point here (New Zealand). I can't see anything cheaper that supports all the GSM, 3G, or 4G bands with similar specs, but I'd be open to it as well.

You aren't going to get 4000mah and a 5in screen anymore. Just get a redmi note 6 pro and if you want "clean Android" get a mi a2

I thought there would be at least some progress in battery capacity after so many years. Do all new phones get that notch over the screen? It's ridiculous that everything has to look like an iPhone

gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_max_3-8963.php

hits most of those checks aside from maybe what the phone is made out of.

or motorola

t. have moto g4 play and it's the best phone i've had since the nexus 4 aside from the lame camera

Says it has aluminium body as well, and looks like it's true based on the images on the internet. Anyway It's 2 inches higher, although huge battery is tempting. Does it actually have a worse camera than that on old Redmi 3? Wouldn't want to degrade in this department

a2 lite

Mi Mix 2 / 2S

12 bands of 14

The camera is kinda shitty, maybe you should go for a Redmi 5A

What if I drop the battery size requirement? Are newer phones better at managing battery usage? Does it allow better phones into consideration?

there's literally no way it would.

slightly better but not by a huge margin. generally phones still have around 3000mah and most get on average 6 hours screen on time depending on what it's doing. if you absolutely NEED a bigger battery there aren't many on the market that hit that criteria, and that hits almost all your marks.

other than that, you'll just have to charge your phone at the end of the day like the rest of us

>Japanese
>buying Chinese phones over Sony
why not wait for the XZ4C you turbonigger? It's gonna be a great phone.

>memory card slot
forget it
>3.5mm jack
you can get it
>4000mah
lol
>clean android
Xperia UI is really good
>no glass case
lol
to sum up, wait for the XZ4C or neck yourself.

there's literally already a phone listed in this very thread that meets all of those criteria.

Chinkshit doesn't count lol

show me a phone not made in an asian country

Every single time, when I say 'chinkshit doesn't count', one of you faggots comes in saying that everything's made in China. I don't mind that, I just don't care about Chinese brands.

my note 9 is made in Vietnam

the only different between a chinese brand and a non chinese brand is what market they play in. the phones are all made in the same plants as one another half the time. you do know that right

Get the XZ4, Xperia UI is amazing, better than stock IMO. 4000 Mah isn't necessary anymore as I get 10 hours of screen on time on my Nokia 8 with 3000 Mah consistently.

Attached: Screenshot_20190103-112732.png (1440x2560, 173K)

exnyos is a more powerful CPU, with a weaker GPU. it is more power efficient.

>i want to pay $500 more for the same thing
lel

Is getting a used Pixel 2 for $200 worth it?

The XZ4C looks like SHIT. Why can't they release a new phone with xz1C design?

>Note 9 and Mi Mix 3/Oneplus 6T/Pocotrash are the same thing!
lel

they literally are.

Isn't january the release of one ui in eu for note 9?

Attached: SmartSelect_20190103-120207_Software update.jpg (983x229, 44K)

Just enjoy the XZ4C, you make it sound like they double notched it

POCOPHONE

>no chinkbloat/spyware (OP6T is exempt from this)
>far better camera on the Note
>S pen
>better screen
>same thing
fucking vomit inducing post mate, don't say shit like that.

The current gen Exynos is shittier in every way, with worse performance and battery life than the Snapdragon 845:
anandtech.com/show/13582/samsung-galaxy-note9-performance-review-snapdragon-vs-exynos
anandtech.com/show/12520/the-galaxy-s9-review

Exynos has always been shit. What makes it even worse is that no one's bothered to make some way to implement all the anandtech tweaks in an easy way
anandtech.com/show/12615/improving-exynos-9810-galaxy-s9-part-1
anandtech.com/show/12620/improving-the-exynos-9810-galaxy-s9-part-2

seriously, I don't even understand most of this.

your fucking note 9 got beat in a blind test by the fucking pocophone dude, fucking lmao get real

Attached: Capture.jpg (803x452, 35K)

>being this much of a virgin

>compressed shitpics
>bright lighting
>beaten
t. Lui from Xiaomi, it's obvious that the poco's camera, stock or with gaycam, won't capture as much detail, look as sharp as the Note 9. Can't even zoom with that without things looking like shit. Very weak bait m8

Attached: 1486044513235.png (1134x595, 401K)

how does it feel knowing you're the only one who thinks this? hahahaha

Attached: dfgsg.jpg (169x233, 6K)

It's an objective fact, there's nothing to think about you chimps. Just lol

What do you guys do with your old phones? I have a Note 4 and I'm not sure what to do with it.

Attached: 1515402620962.webm (720x1276, 1.35M)

what is this pic from?

MKBHD's 2018 blind camera test:
youtu.be/_5-bo8a4zU0

MKBHD blind test of smartphone cameras
it was just a social media stunt. If he took low light full res comparison pics or something, barely a few phones would make the cut.

>Sony logo on the front
>shit design
>no camera button
It's gonna be shit

>brand new chinkphone comes bloated with adware and chinkware

>t. iToddler too technologically inept to customize their phones

Check Garyexplains, the Exnyos has better single and multicore performance, but the GPU is solidly weaker.

i almost always sell mine to someone for about 80% of it's original value.

Asus ZenFone 5Z ZS620KL (6GB RAM) 64GB - 390 eur
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact G8441 - 195 eur

vs
Xiaomi Pocophone F1 64GB for 290 eur

any thoughts

Poco

>Exnyos has better single and multicore performance
Did you even read the Anandtech articles? Exynos performs faster *only* in synthetic benchmarks. In real life tests it is well behind the Snapdragon, even in CPU performance.

>Finally, the biggest story for the Galaxy S9 is its big contrast in terms of SoC hardware. Ever since we first heard about the Exynos 9810 we had very large expectations and we knew there would be some tangible differences between Exynos and Snapdragon variants. The expectations couldn’t be more shattered than the results we got. While the Snapdragon 845 variant of the Galaxy S9 performed largely as advertised and as we had been told to expect by Qualcomm, the Exynos 9810 failed to live up to its hype in real-world scenarios. Effectively, the Exynos 9810 variant and as evidenced by all the data we collected, is the slower variant of the two. The root cause here has been identified as the extremely conservative scheduler and DVFS mechanisms which essentially nullify any advantage the new M3 cores have in synthetic benchmarks.

Can you still get phones that can last 3 or 4+ years? What's a phone that can reliably last for a long time?

Generally anything not made by Samsung that cucks itself through updates like apples garbage

>Slovenia
>A1
>Budget: up to a thousand euro ideally, I could go up to like 1200 but would rather not
I want a headphone jack and sd card slot because I listen to music a lot and it would be amazing to have more room for it than my current shitty mp3.
Good battery life would be great too.

I've never had a smart phone before and I don't know anything about them and what I can get for my budget so please help me.

Don't do that to yourself user

>no chinkbloat/spyware
Your Samsung isn't exempt from this.
androidcentral.com/samsung-messages-app-randomly-sending-pictures-some-users
>OP6T is exempt from this
But the OnePlus 5T isn't. Neither is any OEM firmware period. Luckily all devices you mentioned have custom ROM support.
true-tech.net/oneplus/oneplus-rolls-probable-spyware-app-oneplus-5t-oreo-update-5-0-2/

>what are custom ROMs