It will never be the year of the linux desktop if people keep whining everytime there is progress

It will never be the year of the linux desktop if people keep whining everytime there is progress.
>Wayland is bad
>Gnome 3 is bad
>Systemd is bad
>Progress is bad
>New features are bad
>Improvements are bad
It's not 1970s gramps, go use OpenBSD.

Attached: gnome-s-nautilus-gets-better-google-drive-support-warns-about-security-risks-523226-2.jpg (2828x1728, 341K)

>new features are bad
>so lets remove features instead
GNOME in a nutshell

bump for redpill

Just make it exactly the same as Windows 7 Aero!!!!

eh I just use xfeces and compton

speaking of, I'm using xfce and compton on a 1c2t intel netbook
should I be worried about performance? what's a better/faster compositer?
native one still has no vsync issues last I checked

>KDE is good
solved the problem

Attached: konqi.png (220x311, 31K)

To be fair, no one thinks it's ever going to be the year of Linux outside a small cult.

In the business and gaming world (the majority of PC use), Linux has no place.

Year of Linux Desktop will become, when KDE and OpenSUSE will become default distro, just like ubuntu now is.

all gnome is bad

It will never be the year of the linux desktop because it's a hobbyist OS for people who think tinkering with things and using the command line and accumlating useless knowledge makes them intelligent

>>Systemd is bad
I don't like systemd but to say it's _bad_... You sir have not managed GNU/Linux machines before.

Everything else I don't personally use so I wouldn't know.

If you can do your job on macOS, you can do it on linux.

>It will never be the year of the linux desktop
You can just stop there.

“No.”

at the rate gnome is going it's just going to be one single icon that open a spinning ugly ass gnome foot by the time we reach gnome 4

lel
>It's not 1970s gramps, go use OpenBSD.

Attached: 1541720523619.gif (294x224, 365K)

This is so blatantly false it's not even worth strawmanning.

Most common "progress":
>synch everything!
>make GUIs more resource hungry
>meme coloring spectrum
>TRANSPARENCY ERRYWHERE
>how about we keep you from manually configuring your shit?

More features and costly graphical interfaces are not progress. We've stopped optimizing for performance to either cater to lazy people who will pay their asshole for convenience/pretty looking environments.

Look, tech has come a long way and I'll admit that a lot of GUI shit really bring convenience and practicality, but it comes to a point where convencience has plateaud and the only thing left is ricing.

Just look at fucking Windows, i was introduced to computing with it. Up until XP the interface was sane, clean, intuitive, didn't chug up a whole lot of ram. Look at it now, most people think it's normal to trade their pc's from 2 to 2 years because they think it's become too obsolete or slow when in fact it's the system that's shitting the bed. With each update you get closer to an unusable and unreliable system.

I just installed Gnome 3 and noticed they removed desktop icons! Like, they're gone forever. No way to re-enable them either, you have to use an alternate desktop. Wtf.

This.

Been using Budgie though, most promising desktop environment on the scene right now imho, if anybody can make a not shit QT desktop I feel like it's going to be budgie

>thinking Linux knowledge is useless
You must not work professionally in tech. This type of knowledge leads to lucrative salaries.

>OpenSHIT

Not even once. Can't even set up wireless printers. I need a grown-up distro.

your thread is bad

KDE is good, kwin though is not.

Stop lying the icons are back

Too resource heavy. Uses 10% cpu at idle when KDE uses 0.

>Gnome uses a lot of ram
This meme needs to die, it is no longer the case.

Except on every fucking server and mobile device as well as every IOT stuff.

KDE fucking sucks though

Linux has gone woke so what the fuck ever

what's bad about wayland? outside of incompatibility with most things. To me it makes sense to move away from x11 into wayland though I'd like to hear what people have to say

>removing features and ruining desktop UI is progress
I booted up a ten year old ubuntu 8.10 livecd today, and it worked better than anything new
It didn't have a retarded and slow touchscreen UI
It had a nice boot logo with a proper progress indicator, not the Plymouth garbage
It didn't try to be a mac os clone with stupid useless gimmicks

Attached: ubuntu810released-large_002.jpg (1280x1024, 283K)

Bullshit. I'm on 30.2-1 and they're gone.

How do i make ios apps on linux

KDE is better

How did we go from this to the file manager in OP's post?
And why would anyone except a retard think that it was progress?

Attached: gnome-open-file-browser.png (594x532, 105K)

You just have to understand if any OS, a theritical non-existent one which provided convenience (one or two click install for gaming) and allowed for easy migration out of Microsoft Office (without breaking most work books and word docs) people would move.

It'm convinced and migration that holds people back. People don't want to pay the sticker price of windows, especially for business.

Gnome is targeted at business users , those who have important meetings and work to do and need a solid and stable desktop environment. That's why its favoured by RedHat and IBM. If you want to tweak every single settings menu because you have nothing better to do, KDE is for you.

>It will never be the year of the linux desktop
I don't give a shit.

>gnome is bad
>features are bad
You're contradicting yourself, matey.

>That's why its favoured by RedHat
No, it's because they essentially own and always have sponsored GNOME.

yes. Mostly no (video editing, Photoshop, content creation etc.), but yes

Was the right decision ... Gnome had some fucked up Nautilus services running just to show desktop icons. Now you can use a Gnome extension if you need them.

if you're a dev there are no excuses

Linux is hobbyst operating system. Some shit works better then Windows.

you probably consider it that way because muh vidya games

I wanna rub my face on that dragon cunny

Your mom sucks

Toolbar is useless ... most of the time half the icons are either unneccesary or greyed out -> everything important has been moved to windowframe.
Most of the entries in the Menubar are useless also or simply nonsensial (File, Edit, Go???) -> into the burger it goes.
The rest is just ricing and coloring. Nothing of value was lost and icons do not need much translation work.

this
but for development linux is far better

Gnome is actually pretty good, not win10 good, but coming close. Needs better drag'n'drop supporr, but windows is the king of d'n'd, that would take some time.

If you have TABLET windows is much better

Does it matter at all? it clearly doing stuff like indexing. I ran prime95 on all cores and GNOME freed all resources and let it have 98-99 load on every core, it does not matter what it does in idle, important thing what it does under heavy load, and ot operated correctly in this case.

>into the burger it goes.
People don't even realize that those 3 lines are a hidden menu. Or that the button left of it is also one. Or that there's a search function hidden behind that extremely stylized magnifying glass.
Sure it looks pretty, but the cost is that it's only usable by the developers of gnome

Let's be serious no one uses Linux for the DE anyways so who really cares

>Gnome 3
Gnome 3 is objectively bad no matter how you look at it because it tries to force a mobile UI just like Wangblows 10.

It's not the year of the Linux Desktop, OSX Desktop not even Windows Desktop because most people use their mobile devices for everything instead.

I've used XP a few days ago and after using win10 its interface was so uncomfortable that I asked myself "how the fuck I used that thing for 4 years and was ok with at". So speak for yourself.

user all extentions are written JS.

macOS is the king of drag n drop
this is partially because they have the best touchpads

>Wayland is bad
Yes user wayland is in fact so good that all major DEs spend money on it and it is still not used after almost 10 years.
>Gnome 3 is bad
A slow broken system that uses JS extensions is not good.
They wasted 1 million in donations in a womens outreach program that failed. And almost ended up bankrupt.
>Systemd is bad
An init system where the main dev decided that not fixing issues is good.

Have almost no experience with them, very unpopular where I live. I used their touchpad a few times but its still worse than trackpoint and similar things.

>he got conditioned

Attached: smug.jpg (237x213, 7K)

Yep, got too used to convinient tiling and start menu search that win10 provides.

im gonna download budgie and kde neon test them out and see which is the better version for my home shitposting station

I assume you're trying to troll

Attached: 1508476247642.png (586x708, 601K)

Sorry what functionality were you trying to use the file manager toolbar for again? I get it for grandpa or something but what functionality would even an entry level computer use in the toolbar of their file manager?

Actually wrong

Ubuntu abandoning Unity was a mistake. Gnome 3 is terrible.

GNOME is still the best DEn for modern PCs.
That is quite sad desu, but other developers do not want to address (except LXDE/LXQt devs, but their target audience is different) things that really matter and not "muh customization".