Linux or Windows?

I have this laptop and I want to basically make it a home server so I can access my files through any of my devices. I've read that Linux is good for this type of stuff? However, this laptop would be my most powerfu. laptop so I'd be using it for stuff like rendering, transcording, or running matlab/python/etc.. I'm not sure if Linux is even compatible with said programs.

Attached: 1539066305005.jpg (907x778, 72K)

Linux can handle all these tasks just fine, and ESPECIALLY python. Matlab is compatible too, and you'll find comfy software for any other task you have.

Just use Windows, it's easier to set up.

We don't do that here.

Windows Server 2019

>I'm not sure if Linux is even compatible with said programs
Give full list of programs you are interested in and yes linux is compatible with matlab and python

POO

samefag

what this guy said. Judging based on what you've told us, it sounds like Linux will work for your needs.

Nope.

Attached: Screenshot_20190103-162543.jpg (1080x2340, 386K)

FLStudio, AutoCAD, Matlab, and Python. Currently I'm using handbrake for transcoding but I heard Linux has some built in function to do this. Is this the preferred method or are there other software to do that?

And iTunes.

so you are willing to use an unknown os because of stuff you heard, even though you arent familiar with it? make it easy on yourself and use what you are comfortable with

Windows Server Core

Attached: 1518051261643.jpg (543x758, 602K)

I've used it before so I know how to install packages and whatnot. It's nothing complicated.

lol since chan is now sfw cucked you cant show the rest of that image.

literal NPC logic

I can't comment on rendering (depends on the software) but I do the other things no problem on mine. I run linux exactly because windows feels like a sluggish whore on my X220 and X250 alike.

>make yourself stressed and uncomfortable because reasons

>learning new skills is REALLY HARD AND STRESSFUL
>i can't solve my own problems :(
>I don't know how to dual boot

Why are you actually here? You're clearly retarded

>matlab/python/etc.. I'm not sure if Linux is even compatible with said programs.
Are you serious?

Jow Forums was always a sfw board tard

maybe instead of installing linux on your most powerful laptop for something as simple as serving files, you could install it on a weaker laptop you have lying around and then put all of your files on there. This way, you can access all of your files from all of your devices, and not worry about setting up all of your programs and environments.

P = powerful machine
W = weaker machine
D = your other devices

P => W

>he has only been here since the 4channel switch when they actually started enforcing the rules, this switch was only a little more then a month ago.

>I have this laptop
>I want to basically make it a home server
>this laptop would be my most powerfu. laptop
These things dont mix your most used device cannot be your server (unless its a phone or you are just testing services)
You will want your server to stay up 24/7, which your laptop shouldnt, unless its an old one
Get a low spec device like a raspi for something so basic and run Loonix
If all your devices are MS products and want a dead easy setup go for windows (we dont do that here)

Attached: 1546441785502.jpg (779x1200, 111K)

If you're going to use FLStudio and any Autodesk products, you're probably better off just using Windows, unless you're really willing to use Linux-compatible alternatives which are not industry-standard and which you'll never see people use who actually get paid real money to use. LMMS is a thing and JACK has some neat functionality but if you're doing legitimate music production or drafting, you're better off shooting yourself in the face than trying to use those free tools. And this is coming from somebody who exclusively uses linux at home but manages windows environments at work.

Why are you trying to run AutoCAD and FLStudio on a server?