Literally future-proof

Literally future-proof.

Attached: i5 2500k.jpg (842x835, 776K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8259U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K/m543736vs619
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>20% lower IPC than zen+ so 4GHz is actually 3.2 GHz equivalent
>only 4 sad little cores when 16 cores will soon become mainstream with zen 2
Yeah man, it'll last forever.

not really unless you got the 2600k

basically you have a slightly shittier r3 2200g with a WAY shittier IGP
It's time to upgrade son

2600k is like 30% faster.

Even the low end Ryzen 4 core chips match or beat Sandy.
But Sandy is 8 years old at this point.
It's a miracle it managed to hold on so well.
Bulldozer is like 50% behind basically everything

You must enjoy all the stuttering. I have a 3570k and the frame drops are unbearable even with a GTX 1070

Must be shit cooling?

AAA shit is not worth playing. What unoptimized garbage do you enjoy?

2010 called
Lol

Hyper 212 Plus. Temps never go above 50C
Sorry, but I don't want to play the same old ass games forever.

i7-2700k 5 GHz master race reporting in. Haven't changed the paste in 5 years but it's still stable at 5 GHz. I mine crypto with it and I haven't turned my computer off ever except when moving it or when windows forces me because of bluescreens. It has so far outlived my reference 7970 stock 925 MHz, but I ran it at 1270 MHz, doubles as a hairdryer and house heater. I literally heat my house with it and I live in a country that has 8 month long winters without sunlight. There was no dust in it when I took it out due to the high pressure at those fan speeds. If you want to be as cool as I am, I recommend putting your rig in another room to protect your hearing.

Attached: 1545825848917.jpg (1200x813, 282K)

Is a 2500k @ 4.6ghz a good pairing for a GTX 1060?

this is what I have

still using my 2500k machine for funposting

Attached: 1541386713617.jpg (286x327, 75K)

Attached: UPGRADE2010.png (836x768, 17K)

how is it?

2500k is running at 4.8GHz on a CM Evo 2 cooler. It's plenty fast for day to day, but is starting to show it's age now that games are actually utilizing the CPU and more cores. When I play Fortnite occasionally with friends my processor is maxxed out which was surprising for sure. Fusion 360 put my processor to the test as well.

The platform it rides on is already obsolete.

*blocks your path*

Attached: img_0618.jpg (725x452, 30K)

Makes me wish I had bought two motherboards back then.

>4 threads

meanwhile most applications are just now starting to support quad cores as opposed to the typical single or dual core targettings.
2-4 cores will be the targeting use moving forwards except for niche cases where additional cores are essential such as vms, and development or vid editing compiling.
sandy bridge is a legend.

>decade of stagnation is considered the epitome of perfection
I will never understand this logic.

Can it even play bf5 at 30fps

60 - 70 fps @ 4.6Ghz with a 780ti mostly low settings though.

Intel stuck to quad cores because AMD was literally dogshit. Intel had 6 cores since the first i7 (980X) and 8-cores since Haswell (5960X).

Of course newfags don't care and AMDrones pretend that AMD was competitive for the past decade before Ryzen.

No need to develop if your competitor was dogshit.

>meanwhile most applications are just now starting to support quad cores as opposed to the typical single or dual core targettings.
You're absolutely delusional. Even most big budget gaymes stopped supporting CPUs with less than four threads years ago.

I have an i7 4790k and a 1070 and already feel like my PC needs an upgrade, i can't imagine trying to justify an i5 in 2019

Sandybridge is a literal futureproof architecture. I have a 3930K OCed @ 4.4GHz and in multicore environments, performs around the same as a 7700K.

>already performance-raped by meltdown and spectre patches
>who knows what more debilitating vulnerabilities are to be found
>future-proof
KEK

I have an i7 920 and it works fine for me. I don't do vidya gaymes.

FUTURE PROOF

Attached: 33acbb0bd3e5fac573db9b47f26911e1.png (446x423, 119K)

This. LA Noire ran like ass on a Phenom II X2.

Remember when Micro Center was selling this shit for $150?

It's only good for browsing/playing old games at this point, even with overclocking to 4.5 GHz.
Going to upgrade to Ryzen 3700X or 3800X when it comes out.

Attached: Untitled.png (403x402, 27K)

>Had to write i5-2500k in big blue gay letters because the i5-2500k in small grey subtle letters wasn't enough
>He would have us believe that a processor is god-king when he doesn't even have confidence in the processors own ability to name itself

its to make the listing stand out on ebay you dickwheel

Not really, no.
It lasted me a really long time but it is getting to a point where it is not viable anymore for many things.

>Doesn't even believe the product sells itself
Yeah never buying it for sure.

All hail the Sandy Bridge! That being said now that Ryzen came around it does start to show it's age, but for now I am still pretty happy with it. Secondary PC, btw.

Attached: speccy.png (607x446, 25K)

GTA IV needed like 3 cores to run well

cute how this guy thinks he's clever

Attached: 1539115426673.png (110x183, 28K)

All hail the Sandy Bridge! That being said now that Ryzen came around it does start to show its age, but for now I am still pretty happy with it. Secondary PC, btw. Temps are lightly loaded in a dampened case, moving a lot of files around at the moment.

Attached: speccy.png (607x446, 25K)

Retards are selling used Broadwell i7s for the price of new skylakes. How the fuck am i supposed to upgrade my 4690k

Attached: 1450539440245.gif (320x240, 934K)

>When I play Fortnite

Attached: 1327802098138.jpg (366x500, 31K)

To be fair before Ryzen hit and was actually good performance improvements per generation were extremely small. There was too little of a difference between the generations to justify buying a new board and new ram for a new processor if you can just as well buy an i7 for your current board. Now that Ryzen came out strong and Intel actually pushed performance forward again things are bound to change. However, there's no denying that almost all the hardware that came out in the last 7 or so years is "fast enough" for the majority of people. We've reached a point where even low end hardware is capable enough for the needs of many people. Yay for progress, I guess.

It's really Moore's law slowing down and becoming less relevant than stagnation as such. That and a respite for the average consumer, in that you can still get away with a CPU that's pushing a decade old for 90% of tasks and not really notice a difference. Consider that compared to for example trying to use a 486 in 2000 for UT99 or whatever you were into back then.

What would a Broadwell i7 (which will only give you a few percentage points of performance over a Haswell i5, or i7 for that matter) enable you to do that you can't already?

>running multiple programs at once
>well they dont support multi core so u dont need lmaoo
retard

Attached: 1310483412100.jpg (413x395, 61K)

i guess nothing, it just sucks that i'm stuck on a dead end platform with no viable upgrade path
ryzen here i come

>It's really Moore's law slowing down and becoming less relevant than stagnation as such.
We are talking about nearly a decade here not the past few years where they are struggling to die shrink. In that time we have still gone from 32nm to 14nm while still having shitty IPC improvements.

wrong
x86 will die in our lifetime

should I upgrade my 2500K to an 8600K or 9600K?

wait for the r7 3700x

Sour grapes are real

I'm actually in a similar situation, currently have a 4770k on a Z97 board with 32GB of RAM. Looked into Broadwell and it would be a tiny upgrade, and there's barely anything to gain from going to Ryzen and all my old RAM would be useless, so no real plans to upgrade until I find something that my rig can't handle, which probably won't be a while yet given that I can keep upgrading the GPU without the CPU causing any major bottlenecks.

I have one at 4.6ghz with a RX 480 4gb and it still holds up for most games at 1080p 60 fps. The only game that gave me trouble was Battlefield V multiplayer at the maps where there's a lot of destruction.
Shadow of the tomb raider: 57 fps Highest preset
Far Cry 5: 72 avg fps
Final Fantasy 15: 6634
PS: Overclock your ram too.

I had a 390x and a 4690 it stuttered like crazy and was 25% just sitting idle and 100% when I did anything.
2700x now couldn't be happier

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8259U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K/m543736vs619
Literally worse than entry level laptop cpu

I had one for 6 years
It's because it has 8 threads VS the i5s 4

I'm just looking at upgrading mine, Battlefield V is super CPU dependant as it turns out, it's mostly unplayable.

Yes good goy big numbers mean better

Attached: downloadfile-46.jpg (474x382, 24K)

all you 1155 fags can choke on a bag of dicks, master race LGA1366 coming through

I bought an i9-9900K.

I've done the research. How badly does Jow Forums think I messed up?

Good goy

Attached: 010.jpg (476x608, 116K)

Still running mine at 4.8GHz

The destruction on Battlefield is a gimmick that needs to go. It's like the destructible trees in Crysis.

>buys 2000 dollar gaymen computer
>only plays xbox/ps4 entry level blockbuster game trash
do u even indie

same deal here on my 4690k. When my 2700k died and I was too cheap to buy an i7 again I thought it was gonna be fine to use an i5. Boy howdy was I wrong, 4 cores is not enough in 2018+1

unless youre running something thats massively bound by single thread performance, theres no real benefit compared to cost.

its like buying a 2080ti, its so overpriced and inflated the only reason you should buy it is if you need maximum performance and nothing less. Even then a 1080ti is gonna run peoples gaymes at 4k fine and get 60fps, or 1440p at 144. And considering how 4k at 120fps isnt even really a thing yet, there isnt a point to all of that performance unless you actually need it.

My z67 motherboard died recently so I replaced it with the 9700k. Actually surprised how much performance gain i get, even in a game like CSGO. On community servers fps min 70 and average 115 vs 35 min and 75 average.

Damn you just got fucking roasted by

I have the 3770k + gtx 1080 and never get stuttering.

Might be because the delid + liquid metal + aftermarket cooler

My 4790k does just fine except it runs hot as a thousand blazing fucking suns. Upgrading to AMD when it finally stops running everything.

Ah, you'd get so much more out of your machine if you got a better CPU. Overclocking won't make up for a lack of cores. It's still usable but, with Ryzen 3000 coming out, you're in trouble. Every new game is going to run slower and slower on that thing. I will say it's a fantastic chip that lasted quite a while. Probably would be fine for non-gaming tasks or retro gaming day to day.

I plan on upgrading when the new console generation comes out. Until then most games will be hold back by console hardware limitations.

I don't think that needs paste

Who Sandy Bridge Xeon here? E3-1245 checking in.

Consoles already use 8 cores. You'll see a nice little uplift if you went with a nice 8 core CPU, even better if AMD since consoles use AMD chips (and the future ones do, too).

There's zero reason to upgrade your 4790k with a fucking 1070.
>I have a 3930K OCed @ 4.4ghz
are you me?

What is the 2600k of our generation?

2500k here i wont upgrade until CPU's at least break the 5.0Ghz barrier non-OC and non-meme/housefire.
Fuck AMDelphi and Intelaviv

>moore's law was stopped by 4 core 4 threads
>moore's law was stopped when AMD fumbled

What a completely arbitrary requirement. Even a 9600K would btfo your 2500k at the same clocks, and you could sell the 2500k for high enough to recoup most of the cost (of the CPU)

(you couldn't)

E5-2667

It functions fine even with low clock speed, some hickups on high intensive calculations, but overall I'm sorta happy with it since I bought it for $60.

Will probably upgrade to Zen2 3600/X once it reaches under $200 or so.

Never gonna make it

Sell it and buy a 3770k, it's what I did, it's literally night and day, and overclock your ram and your rig will be competitive with modern rigs. I went from like 100fps to 200fps in some esport titles just by having the i7 and faster ram.

Incorrect. Even a mid-range GPU like an RX480 is getting gimped by it in newer games, even at 4.8GHz and 2133MHz memory.
Obviously it's also useless for transcoding videos or doing any sort of serious computing tasks on it.
It's still more than enough for shitposting and chink cartoons, which is why you Jow Forums going to swear by it for years to come. It's literally Q6600 allover again.
Still, it held up very well considering it's like 8 years old at this point.
t. actual owner of 2500K

Should have got an i7.
Classic i5ers remorse.

Almost 8 years is pretty good service life at the time it wasn't smart to buy an i7 for gaming and I still stand by it cant wait for the new ryzens.

even 2600K is only comparable to low-end 4c8t Ryzen.
There's only so much you can do with 4 physical cores

>*NUMBERS NO LONGER MATTER!*
>I'm not the kike! You're the kike!
The absolute state...

When you're talking about performance numbers matter a lot.

>Literally future-proof.
It was for like 5-6 years after release, but it bleeds out in heavy tasks and today's gaymes.
t. former 2500k owner

5.9 GHz?

Attached: 7628374629834.png (514x472, 297K)

I don't think SOON and WAIT guys can roast anybody.

What (16-59) means then?