Fedora is actually good

Fedora + Gnome + Wayland is just such a well put together system. I know Jow Forums dislikes anything RedHat these days, but this is what desktop Linux is capable of. Smooth rendering. No screen tearing. Fluid animations with almost no lag. I'll put up with systemd for that.

Attached: GNOME330.jpg (1890x800, 186K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/GnomeShell/GnomeShell4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Smooth rendering. No screen tearing. Fluid animations with almost no lag

Literally any mainstream distro does that. Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro, KDE Neon, etc

>Smooth rendering. No screen tearing. Fluid animations with almost no lag
>GNOME
pick one. GNOME uses fucking JS for animations.

And on wayland it works flawlessly on my machine. Zero issues.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-02 20-31-45.png (1136x543, 71K)

Nice larp, but its not possible, nobody actually uses gnome or fedora.

>Fedora + Gnome + Wayland is just such a well put together system. I know Jow Forums dislikes anything RedHat these days, but this is what desktop Linux is capable of.
>Smooth rendering. No screen tearing. Fluid animations with almost no lag. I'll put up with systemd for that.
>implying this reasoning has anything to do with Fedora or GNOME
Yeah, Wayland is great and all, but why are you bottle-necking it with GAHBLOAT?
Install KDE Neon, use its Wayland and witness what real low latency computing looks like

Attached: best_distro.png (512x512, 69K)

KDE is still too buggy, especially on Wayland. Plus I actually like Gnome.

Attached: 268723038020211.png (611x461, 477K)

>desktop Linux
The word you're searching for is GNU/Linux.

>Linus Torvalds
>nobody

Nope. Just Linux. The kernel is what defines an OS.

Let me explain Jow Forums vs Gnome as simply as I can:
>Jow Forums: Bloat is bad!
>Gnome devs: Ok, lets remove some bloat.
>Jow Forums: No! Not THAT bloat!

>Fluid animations with almost no lag
What fucking super computer are you running?

>randomass tech youtuber
Yeah no thanks

Nice strawman. user, GNOME removes features, yet the DE keeps getting more CPU and memory-intensive. That's the "bloat" problem that people actually have.
When will you get it through your thick skull that minimalism is NOT just about removing features, but also about shrinking codebases and reducing unnecessary system load simultaneously?

"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1,000 lines of code."
-- Ken Thompson

>more memory-intensive
old news. when was the last time you used it?

non him but I used fedora about 2 months ago cant remember if it was 28 or 29 though. Gnome was still a resource whore. I have a pretty comfy rice though so I'm pretty biased towards DEs anyway.

0/10

CentOS 8 probably would be even better (if software quantity is enough).

Sell me on Wayland.
I'm still using X11 because I'm too lazy to read the documentation on how to make the switch and nobody told me of any real benefits.

Does fedora collect and sell user data?

>t. retard

Tried it. Went into the settings to configure my triple 4k monitor setup correctly. It crashed. Thought wtf, restarted, went into settings again and ... it crashed again.

XFCE4 under Xorg actually works unlike buggy piece of shit GNOME garbage.

Attached: sori-touch-bikini.webm (1280x720, 2.88M)

>dnf install small-lib
>7 hours later

A FUCKING HAT

Attached: 1546421059644.png (2000x2000, 283K)

Yeah, right, you like using "the XNU" by the fruit corporation?

>Xfce vs. LXDE vs. LXQt
Which Fedora spin out of those three is the best?

Just use GNOME with fedora if you don't have a toaster for your PC. If you do then use LXQt or LXDE.

I'm not a big fan of Gnome. Currently running the Cinnamon spin, but I'm slowly losing trust in the Mint devs.

>Gnome + Wayland
does that still make video playback stutter?

Honestly I don't see XFCE as any good of DE now. I tried it and it is some weird middle-ground between modern DEs (KDE, GNOME) and "minimal for performance" DEs (LXDE and LXQT).

absolutely true

LXQt.
They are in active development, working with the other DE's(Wayland via Mir), and not stuck playing catch-up with Gnome's toolkit.

What are the Mint devs doing to make you lose trust?

>8-core desktop CPU + dedicated graphics card

gee I wonder why

True, but at the same time I'm unsure if they are advanced enough to be viable yet. If I judge their progress based on PCManFM-Qt then I have my doubts (although that's probably an unfair approach).

It's no secret that Cinnamon is a resource hog, but since the 4.0.0 release (I think back in October or November) it has become more obnoxious to use. Especially Nemo is borderline usable for large directories (e.g. +1000 images) and looking at the issue section on GitHub it's not just me.

>True, but at the same time I'm unsure if they are advanced enough to be viable yet.
Spin up a VM.

Just check it.
Its free like in beer.

>use gnome
>laptop’s fans are spinning nonstop on startup
yeah no, I’m sticking to debian with i3.

>wayland
enjoy not having portrait mode monitors.
>no screen tearing
This is how I KNOW you don't have portrait mode monitors.

Well, sure. That's what I'm ultimately going to do. Just thought I ask here first.

Which DE do you like best then?

>mfw running Debian/Gnome
>mfw love it

Attached: 1544773363559.jpg (250x226, 6K)

>Double 4k monitors
>Ubuntu Gnome
>Dark Mode, Multiple Workstations, Vim key bindings
>Fira Code iScript
>VS Code + Vim
>Web Browsers + Vimium
>See through terminals
>Spacious background
it doesn't get any better lads

Based and red pilled

Attached: Screenshot_from_20190101_183119.png (1600x900, 1.25M)

i tried LXDE, GNOME, XFCE, KDE and liked GNOME most of them all.

XFCE is better once you start customizing it with themes and all that, it comes out of the box pretty dull but can be made to look more or less like KDE. XFCE supposedly has screentearing problems though. KDE comes out of the box shiny with tons of eye candy but it came also with way too much stuff I didn't want (on Ubuntu anyway) and it was very buggy for me (xubuntu was much more buggy for me than debian or arch XFCE though so maybe it was just ubuntu). I haven't tried gnome much but its default tablet esque design is a huge turn off for me, which I admit is partially taste. I feel like you could customize it to look a bit less like that, but not to the extent you can customize XFCE or KDE.

Haven't tried any other DEs, but trying i3 again now. I like how much you can customize i3 and the ability to go from tiling to floating and all the keyboard commands is very nice. Riced i3 gaps with transparent terminal is honestly aesthetic as fuck. The config files can be kind of fun in an autistic way but it can also get pretty annoying when you have to do config file shit for really simple stuff (like adding to the config file a line so that the volume buttons on the laptop work).

same.
kde is more bloated than gnome, has a lot of dependencies with kde shit I don't want to use.
xfce is middle of the road, is as bloated as gnome on resource usage while being even more ugly and less functional than lxde. And I don't like lxde because it doesn't have an installed app search function by default. Lxde saves me around 100MB compared to gnome, but on battery it is negligible. And it's just very function limited compared to gnome which has dinamic workspaces and keybinds for windows by default. Plus the keyboard application launcher. It's no brainer for me why is gnome the best DE. And is very slick if your not a retard who installs everything like these retards who have the file indexer enabled
what the fuck are you doing? runs smooth with animations enabled with idle under 500MB. Just install it from a minimal installation like any other window manager. You can get it with literally 0 gnome applications, not even nautilus is needed.
This only speaks of how Jow Forums doesn't know shit about installing packages.

You see, I'm not into customizing shit. I prefer when it "just works". All I needed to change in gnome is top and bottom panel colors (to make them like in gnome-classic).
On KDE or XFCE it would've taken me a lot of time. Simply no reason to bother if I can use something that simply works.
I also use windows 10 a lot and find gnome ootb experience the closest to it (except drag'n'drop, but it does not work anywhere as good as on windows anyway).

Fair enough desu. That's one of the good things about Linux is you have more choice.

STOP LYING.

>unironic single-threaded javascript desktop
kek
dumbfucks.

I don't have autism. All other DEs just werk right out the box on any distro. Gnome3 lags and uses 1.2gb ram oob

Gnome is the best.

I need that wallpaper mate

>gnome + wayland
Enjoy your freeze every time you try to do something (including the mouse and even on a SSD) because Gnome 3 is built on a design flaw.
wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/GnomeShell/GnomeShell4
Not to mention how it eats RAM and as a half-ass fix I've read they basically force garbage collection more often.

tl;dr: They went out of their way to streamline Gnome by removing every feature they can yet it still has massive performance problems for what it is.

>Gnome3 is built on a design flaw
Source?

Relying on the X server isn't a design flaw when that's all that's available.

>smooth rendering

Last time I used this pile of shit a graphics bug crashed my computer after like two minutes of running. I couldn't even run the thing long enough to fix it.

Fedora + sway anyone?

That would be the flaw, yes

Font rendering on Fedora looks terrible compared to Ubuntu or riced Arch.

Because of muh patents.

Attached: 1478104152809.jpg (267x309, 13K)

dont say just linux insted use the term gnu/linux or gnu + linux
by not doing that your insults our overlord years of hard work