Is the average programmer getting worse?

Is the average programmer getting worse?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 5.34.30 PM.png (1210x572, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/emmawedekind
npmjs.com/package/is-odd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>a series of steps
>Is the same step
Oh no! What now!!?!?!?

Not if you go by the metrics of productivity or useful output.

> Everything now is about muh crosstrash platform JS stack
> Billions of Python """developers""" falling for muh machine learning
> Native development is "outdated"

DONT YOU SAY

Yes. In fact some graduates that the company that I work for are so fucking retarded you can hear the laughs of our IT interviewers.
Also recursion t. Pajeet.

cd code
cd..
pwd
cd..
cd ..
ls
cd code
cd ..
cd ..

I don't know. I work on a C code base that was primarily written in the 90s and it's pretty fucking bad.

>d-d-do I fit in yet Jow Forums?
sad!

Yes, much worse. This is obvious, and to be expected. There is huge demand for programmers, so every single person is now becoming a programmer. That includes all of the normies and low iq retards. Also, due to burn-out, there are very few experienced programmers. Hence, the entire industry has become completely retarded.

i will say that after having worked for 5 years, i basically know nothing when i crack open an algorithms book.

i don't even remember how to do the most basic math (i.e. chapter 1 of any algorithms) that is a prerequisite to even start a first year course.

it's part of why i still work a job i hate and learn nothing from (that and the salary).

But is she a good programmer? Anyone bother to find that out?

She looks kinda hot.

First you have to at least define what a good programmer is. Otherwise the question can't be answered.

emmawedekind com

are women to blame for the poor quality of javascript on websites in the past 10 years?

Javascript is to blame for the poor quality of Javascript.

Attached: 409a70f537a8bbe14406240ce82c7061489a0b99ca4616aea360eec45b8a9e98.jpg (1080x1393, 136K)

No, women aren't influential enough to affect things like that.

Have you faggots written a compiler? Have you written an interrupt routine? Fucking nigger cattles

>Algorithms are not solely comprised of recursion
what

...well they're not

>we should think of an algorithm as the definition of algorithm
wowwie

>Is the average programmer getting worse?
yes. you dont have to understand any concepts anymore. for the most part you just need to be able to know a few js frameworks or python packages and youre good to go. you can do what you are good at, and a sr dev will handle craming it into a pipeline or project so it works

>yes. you dont have to understand any concepts anymore. for the most part you just need to be able to know a few js frameworks or python packages and youre good to go. you can do what you are good at, and a sr dev will handle craming it into a pipeline or project so it works
we're fucking doomed.

this is accurate

no, she'd probably be a decent manager though. she seems to get all the basic concepts of web development at a very basic level, enough to spell it out in blogs and md files. but nothing really stands out as saying she understands anything other than a few npm commands and how to tweak css just right

im not a fan of this, but its pretty accurate.

yeah but i don't get how that's relevant to the point she's trying to make.

yes, because we're getting women and minorities in programming, against their will. just for the sake of diversity and the infrastructure suffers for it

>due to burn-out, there are very few experienced programmers

The industry has also been trying it's hardest to make sure that programming doesn't turn into a legitimate highly skilled profession.

Because you can use a recursive method instead of an iterative method to write an algorithm and some people find that confusing I guess?

github.com/emmawedekind
>Front-end Software Engineer
>javascript
lmao

Attached: trash.jpg (352x450, 37K)

whenever i'm reading about some algorithm people usually provide both iterative and recursive examples of algorithm.

Attached: 1521419980884.jpg (662x658, 99K)

And not a single line of code committed. Imagine that.

Yes, but I think her point is that people are freaked out by recursion, which in my opinion is pretty straight-forward. Heh

>>Front-end Software Engineer
>>javascript

You know I've had to start respecting people building shit like React and Google Closure Compiler and calling themselves "frontend". I don't feel I can laugh at it any more. We need a frontend and "frontend" distinction.

that's what i call psychoanalysis

>getting worse?
You say that like it's a new concept. Programmers/IT have been the brainlets of STEM for a long time now.

An college educated electrical engineer for example must have a working knowledge of math, physics, materials, and other related fields.

What does a CS/CE do except for code? Nothing. Even the highly competent ones are aspie savants (no offense to people with ASD) who can only do one thing and think in one way.

Why do so many female programmers have a medium page.

Is your evidence that programmers are getting worse entirely composed of tweets from literally-whos?

>You say that like it's a new concept. Programmers/IT have been the brainlets of STEM for a long time now.
What does that have to do with them becoming worse you utter retard? I guess the brainiacs of EE have a hard time grasping basic English.

>What does that have to do with them becoming worse you utter retard?

They have always been bad, so there isn't much room for them to get relatively worse compared to before. I understand your confusion though.

>I guess the brainiacs of EE have a hard time grasping basic English.

You seem to have a hard time grasping basic logic. Also I'm not from EE, I was using that as an example.

>a series lf steps to solve a problem
But that's literally what an algorithm is.

Haven't written a compiler, but can check the box of making an interrupt routine in asm. Thing was a bitch to make.

Be honest, when have you ever used recursion outside college and interviews?

she seems to have nice milkers
would breed

by definition.

only useful for going through trees, i.e. just using a optimized data structure library written by someone smarter than me, so no i didn't even use it then.

>algorithms are not solely comprised of recursion
Why did she tack an unrelated claim on the end of her post? Do Twitter users do this?
Also it sounds more like what she means is that the word 'algorithm' scares people. Which may very well be true. I'm not sure it's particularly helpful to stop saying algorithm as if it were that wizard in Harry Potter. Maybe just demystify the word with an explanation like she gave.

As more of them become women and street shitters, yes.

Remember when most programmers were good?

Me neither.

I program AVRs in assembly, and I have written an interrupt routine that compiles the code in place. What exactly is your question? It's just a series of steps, like Wedegirl said, as she placed the bong on the floor in front of her.

>she seems to have nice milkers

Is that a "front-end" joke? Pls report to HR.

Every single creative medium goes through periods of development like this as they grow in popularity and usage. Programming isn't doomed any more than 3D rendering or painting is.

But the thing is that by now algorithms should always work away from the 'series of steps' or recursion mindsets.
Silicon isn't going to grow much faster anymore, so we need to parallerize things if we want to keep going.

>importing 1,000 libraries
>copying code from 50 stackoverflow questions
>"productivity"
>"useful output"

Wonder what TED talk she parroted those statements off of.

That's pretty fucking doomed then.

This

Not it's not. JavaScript isn't bad per se, as long as you remember it's JavaSCRIPT and obey some sane rules while using it. This is unlike HTML/CSS and the DOM which is a clusterfuck of inefficiency that should be trashed.

But js is easily abused, and abuse it millennial script kiddies do because they're not actually programmers and have no real foundation in computer science.

>tfw no mommy to ruin my life by reporting me to HR

Attached: 1546310462722.jpg (580x548, 34K)

You literally don't know what you're talking about and should probably shut up now.

In the 80s and 90s...
* Code was FAR more efficient in terms of both memory space and performance.
* Libraries and frameworks were of higher quality in terms of architecture and API.
* Documentation was more difficult to access (printed) but of much higher quality.

So yes, the general quality of programmers was higher back then.

No
> optimized data structure library written by someone smarter than me
uses recursion because muh stack overflow. They use iterative derivatives of original recursive algorithms.

VERY nice. would breed

>Software Engineer @ LogMeIn by day, cat Mom by night. Also a full-time Bibliophile.
Based

>In the 80s and 90s...
So do you REMEMBER that, or are you speaking from what you've heard about it? Because if you do remember it, then you're an oldfag boomer and shouldn't be here. And if you've only read about it, then my point stands: no one here REMEMBERS a time when most programmers were good, indicating programming has been going edgewise for a while.

Or tail recursion with a compiler/language that can replace satck frames on tail calls.

>>In the 80s and 90s...
>So do you REMEMBER that,
Yes.

>Because if you do remember it, then you're an oldfag boomer
Gen X actually. I wasn't programming in the 80s, but learned early enough in the 90s that materials from the 80s were still dominant.

>and shouldn't be here.
REEEEE GET OFF MUH BOARD SO YOU DON'T CHALLENGE MY ASSUMPTIONS!

>no one here REMEMBERS
I do you little shit. Now go eat your chicken tendies and take your nap.

>tail calls.

is every IT term sexually charged? No wonder Wedething hates you.

Bleep bloop. Pursue programming. Bleep bloop.

Based and chadpilled

>*tssst*
>*sipp*
>Ahh... now the 80s and 90s... those were the days!
>Back then programmers KNEW how to program!

Attached: 1530388241768.jpg (380x349, 35K)

>Be honest, when have you ever used recursion outside college and interviews?
I actually managed to use it once last year. If I simplify it, I needed to divide image to pieces of at most x size and recursively splitting it to halves was easiest solution.

I thought this was satire until I followed the link

Programmers have ALWAYS been shit, maybe for different reasons, but still shit.
Have you looked at the original C compiler by dmr? It's an unreadable mess that doesn't even compile with modern C compilers.
Same with stuff like X. The average webshit framework has higher code quality than X has ever had.

The only thing code that old has going for it is that it was some of the first code that became widely used, and it's still used today. But that doesn't make it "good" by any standard.

And don't tell me "but it werkz", since you use the exact opposite argument (good software shouldn't "just werk", it should also be well structured, mainrainable, etc.) against contemporary "dumb" programmers and "pajeets".

tl;dr fuck boomers and fuck Cniles. They were the first to program, they set the bar embarrassingly low for future generations and they even have the balls to brag about it.

>Code was FAR more efficient in terms of both memory space and performance.
Lmao! Nigga have you ever had to maintain any code from that period? I have and outside of a few examples it's universally shit, my personal favorite "design paradigm" that I've seen so far:
>Writing variables to files to """""""""""""save memory"""""""""""""
I mean, holy shit, why?

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

Isn't she right tho?

She's right.

Attached: thinkpepe.jpg (1000x800, 85K)

And thats a GOOD thing

*cracks* 80's...now THOSE were the days *sips* ahhh

is this a fucking joke

Attached: Screenshot_20190103-140541__01.jpg (1080x824, 96K)

Attached: wtf.jpg (400x400, 22K)

I have written an interrupt routine that compiles the code in place
Nigga what

yes, but she has no authority

>Xe doesn't know of the is-odd package
user, you aint seen nothing yet.
npmjs.com/package/is-odd
>7 versions
>2 collaborators
>3 million weekly downloads at it's peak.

Attached: 1432128925138.jpg (499x499, 82K)

"Returns true if the given number is odd, and is an integer that does not exceed the JavaScript MAXIMUM_SAFE_INTEGER"

What is the meaning of this, goys?

>"Returns true if the given number is odd, and is an integer that does not exceed the JavaScript MAXIMUM_SAFE_INTEGER"
>What is the meaning of this, goys?
Does not exceed maximal value of an integer.

To reiterate, does JavaScript not have a modulus operator?

Yeah i got it
but still my question stands

Are these anons new? How can one not know about "isodd/is even/is number"?
We had lots of threads about this few months ago and almost every humour thread mentions it

module.exports = function isOdd(value) {
const n = Math.abs(value);
if (!isNumber(n)) {
throw new TypeError('expected a number');
}
if (!Number.isInteger(n)) {
throw new Error('expected an integer');
}
if (!Number.isSafeInteger(n)) {
throw new Error('value exceeds maximum safe integer');
}
return (n % 2) === 1;
};

That's the whole thing. 3 million weekly downloads. This is why shit like the leftpad fuck-up happens.

Yes. Yes i am.

yes

>To reiterate, does JavaScript not have a modulus operator?
It does.

Oy gevalt.

A better question would be why does it have 7 versions and why do they need two people to come up with the code

OK
That many downloads because these functions are used by popular frameworks (it's a module or whatever JS calls imported libraries)
Apparently you need something like this because JS can be unpredictable. I think that's what author says.
He's a retard though, there was a screenshot from reddit where someone were laughing at him and he responded.

Anyway, lurk more

So, are people incapabe of using the mod operator? I mean... What the fuck?

We're hitting boomer levels that shouldn't even be possible!