Press F to pay respects

Press F to pay respects

Attached: logo-blue-opaque-3000x3000.png (3000x3000, 142K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kde.org/applications/graphics/krita/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

for what purpose?

K

K

I use KDE plasma, everything is great except for the trashfire office suite

K

K

KDE is alive and well. It's got German developers working for OpenSUSE which is now owned by the Swedish. The American company IBM, which now owns RedHat and is guilty of crimes against humanity when they worked closely with the Third Reich under a contract signed by IBM New York, does not like that Europe is making a much better desktop experience than they can provide with GNOME. This is why RedHat declared KDE as "deprecated" but it changes nothing since IBM/RedHat never supported KDE in the first place.

Attached: ibm-and-the-holocaust.jpg (1028x1600, 319K)

K

>they worked closely with the Third Reich
Fucking based.

Probably for OP's email archive that Kmail, a notorious part of KDE, utterly destroyed.

K

>closely with the Third Reich
Okay, I am going to dump opensuse for fedora now.

quick rundown?

They should just give up on being a full suite DE. Drop Kmail, Calligra and other bullshit. I doubt anyone in the world is unironically using Calligra.

Focus on KDE as DE, keep the good apps like Krita and Okular

Why the fuck it is Calligra and not Kalligra?

And finally hire a good UI designer and a bunch of testers.

K

Kwin is unironically amazing (but pretty heavy). A lot of their K-app suite is kinda shit/underused but it HAS to ship with it cause its so commercial-workstation style. Everything like kmail and stuff is integrated together, that's the sort of thing libreoffice needs to be handling to compete with M$.

Is krita even official kde?

I doubt competing with MS Office is possible at this stage in nearest 5-10 years. They are way too ahead.

Well google's competing directly, the only thing libreoffice doesn't have office-wise is excel scripting which somehow manages to run a large part of global infrastructure. Collaboration stuff's the big deal. MS already bought github & linkedin so probly too late to beat them there.

>Everything like kmail and stuff is integrated together, that's the sort of thing libreoffice needs to be handling to compete with M$

Not really. Literally all LibreOffice needs to do is perfect compatibility with .doc and .docx. Make it so that formatting doesn't break if your boss open your report document on his M$Word. Then slowly but surely people and business will get sick of paying yearly fee for M$Office and switch to Libre.

Never seen anything google in offices, its always excel/word (excel mainly, which I think is why MS Office holds so well, its just way too good, you noticed that too). They can be beat, but not in this decade. Also changing programs will require business to do a "risk assessment" and trust me they will say "fuck this, we won't change thing that works" (look at those banks running ancient shit, business won't change anything that work, until it breaks, if there is even slight risk of things going wrong).

We're talking about KDE's Calligra, not Libre. Calligra is behind Libre in 3-4 years and Libre as you said is still not up to snuff compared to MS Office. I honestly doubt there are more than a 100 people in the world who unironically use Calligra as their daily driver productivity suite to write documents and do spreadshet

Attached: 1200px-KDE_mascot_Konqi_for_office_productivity_applications.png (1200x848, 284K)

>Also changing programs will require business to do a "risk assessment" and trust me they will say "fuck this, we won't change thing that works" (look at those banks running ancient shit, business won't change anything that work, until it breaks, if there is even slight risk of things going wrong).

Things might change with how MS Office is now a subscription based service. If Libre Calc and Writer can provide 100% compatibility then individuals and users will slowly migrate out of Office Suite. Forget about the feature creep, just focus on compatibility for now.

Maybe so that they're not embarrassed when they finally drop it.

KDE should just debrand Thunderbird and LibreOffice, slap Konqi on the logo, call it Kbird and KOffice or whatever just like Debian debranded Firefox into Icecat. They're literally sinking money and devs into apps that nobody, not even KDE DE user use

That's pretty much solved. Even microsoft isn't trying to jank up their formats so much anymore to stop them.

less in-office but it's competing through cheapass commodity chromebooks and online email/documents/fileshare/etc. Same way windows did with OEMs ages past, they're just trying to push the chromebooks to sell their SaaS.

I mean libreoffice needs something like an integrated document/email client/event calendar/etc for collaboration to compete at all.

KDE does NOT need those things except for the fact nobody else provides them all integrated together. So they're shitty but integrated. Libreoffice is less shitty but a plain set of utilities vs. a coherent office suite.

>That's pretty much solved. Even microsoft isn't trying to jank up their formats so much anymore to stop them.

Not really, I'm literally writing my thesis with LibreWriter and had to meticulously check the formatting on separate Microsoft computer. Track changes, comments and edits, especially on equation editors and tables all come out jank between Writer and Word.

i want to FUCK konqi!

Attached: shitty.png (301x332, 10K)

Ah, yeah I guess people do math in office instead of latex or something sometimes. That's kind of universally bad.

What I meant is of course in-office use. For casual user anything past office 2003 or libreoffice or whatever is not needed that much. Same shit with Photoshop, I still see people using some very old photoshop version (because Adobe gave away it for free some time ago, you didn't even need to pirate), because most people don't need more than that.

>latex
Managing citations in Latex/Bibtex is a nightmare. I'm doing applied science (climate science) so equal amount of math compared to mathematics papers but tons of citations that is a pain in the ass to manage with Zotero on Latex compared to LWrite or MSWord

Fuck off degenerate, Konqi is not for lewd.

>I mean libreoffice needs something like an integrated document/email client/event calendar/etc for collaboration to compete at all.
Do people unironically use integrated word, outlook, calendar etc? Normies use MsWord but with Gmail and Google Calendar or Apple Calendar.

konqi is Most Definitely for LEWD

Outlook + OneDrive + Office + Skype for business is comfy af to use together.

the reason people use those things though are cause microsoft gave it away in bulk to educators way back when. Google's doing the same shit to schools today only it's cross-device stuff. Doing all your shit at a school computer lab or home PC is not as universal as it was.

People with jobs, yes. It's for managers' bureaucracy and working with teams and stuff.

+sharepoint

>Outlook + OneDrive + Office + Skype for business is comfy af to use together.

LMAO how can Konqi ever compete.

Attached: KDE_mascot_Konqi_for_business_affairs.png (2480x3508, 595K)

>Is krita even official kde?
kde.org/applications/graphics/krita/

Opening KSheets is pretty heartwrenching. You're literally transported back to Microsoft Excel 1992 and half expected Clippy to pop up and harass you.

Attached: sheets.png (1013x707, 134K)

Kek.

By the way why every DE tries to be something more than just a DE. Windows does not come with Outlook, Word, Excel, Photoshop and other programs and is doing fine, some users don't install them at all. It has some very simple things like notepad and thats it. And its doing perfectly fine on desktop.

Considering the recent events, Microsoft can do whatever they want and they'll be fine. As for the DE, it depends on the distro. Linux installs are usually small, so they can package shit normalfags would be likely to use.

>normalfags
>ganoo slash leenox
>1% marketshare among all distros combined

Lol no. Kubuntu for example was installed in almost all Brazilian public school and even then Brazilian educators cannot in good faith teach their kids to use KDE Office suite rather than Libre or MS Office

>Kwin
the lead dev said fuck it and noped out

wtf i love ibm now

>and is guilty of crimes against humanity when they worked closely with the Third Reich under a contract signed by IBM
wtf I love IBM now

kde5 had a lot of that, still hasn't recovered

>The American company IBM, which now owns RedHat and is guilty of crimes against humanity when they worked closely with the Third Reich under a contract signed by IBM New York, does not like that Europe is making a much better desktop experience than they can provide with GNOME
WTF I now love GNOME and IBM now.

I was talking more about the general inclusion of bloat, not specifically KDE's office suite. Why would most popular distros go for an easy out of the box experience and shit if Linux is used exclusively by power users? I also wouldn't particularly trust the census, it's still very low though.

Does someone have a good IBM wallpaper?

Attached: 9A.jpg (492x877, 73K)

>holocaust
lol what's that? the act of cleaning a holodeck?

> sharepoint
lol

it might not of the greatest quality, but integration is really nice.
All MS Office suite is integrated really well, everything is very comfortable and intuitive to use, sharing docs, meetings, calls, etc.
Not everything of the highest quality software (in terms of "bloat" "optimization" and whatever buzzwords Jow Forums likes), but concept is really good and is working.

Dont know. Now that Canonical is no longer developing unity, and switched to that social justice gtk garbage,

Kde is my next desination.

All they need for me to switch is the HUD.

Attached: 1502575256481.jpg (500x521, 135K)

What happened?

> everything is very comfortable and intuitive to use
Tell me about 'intuitive' ONE MORE TIME.
Sharepoint is basically a framework for creating intranet websites. Pic related are settings for just one site.
Sharepoint admin isn't teached to form common knowledge about every SP component so he could understand how to work with new features right off the bat; instead, they're told explicitly how to setup that specific thing and where it is located; they're told to remember, not understand.

Attached: i9bAg.png (956x890, 74K)

I am user of sharepoint, not administrator, so not my problem.

Inside every one of that menu, you'll find something similar. Lists inside of lists form a pile of incomprehensible UI which MS didn't rewrite since 00s. Adding a ribbon doesn't count. They're probably thinking, "you'll need a professional anyway, and he's being paid to put up with it, so why bother".
I'm a Linux admin. I like when every software sends verbose logs to a centralized location, when verbosity of these logs could be set up, when very complex system could be broken down to routines, so I'd understand how system works inside when I'm changing that specific option; instead, I'm told to just remember how to change every little thing and hope for the best.

Attached: 072414_1847_VersioningS3.png (626x336, 66K)

Well, this is Jow Forums, after all. Can't discuss the usability without discussing maintainability.

Well we were discussing usability for end users there. What happens inside does not really matter in this case. Also I mentioned that its probably not the most quality software, but then again it really does not matter to end user.
Because things you described are perfectly understandable, but you probably would not be able to "sell" these as an major disadvantage that prohibits usage to higher management/procurement team (that uses that on a daily basis and is ok with it).

See excel

>you probably would not be able to "sell" these as an major disadvantage that prohibits usage
I'd say any system which is difficult to repair shouldn't be relied on. For these, there's always a risk of an unexpected downtime.

Being shit and unreliable never stopped anyone from running the world though, that would be sensible.

What do you mean wistcch the hud? you can change any part of kde to your liking...

Attached: 1545882271747.png (298x268, 34K)

>hud

thats right faggot. Programmers best tool.

I bet you are one of those menu clicking faggots.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-03 06-11-52.png (1366x768, 219K)