Saw this from a thread last night, what the fuck is an EFI shell and why does it exist?

saw this from a thread last night, what the fuck is an EFI shell and why does it exist?

Attached: 1546452550977.jpg (4160x3120, 3.25M)

Other urls found in this thread:

software.intel.com/en-us/articles/efi-shells-and-scripting
linuxboot.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Literally first result in Google.

>not entering "install gentoo"
You had one job faggot

yeah I didn't understand those articles. I wanna know what "EFI" and "shell" is and they talk about command prompts and boots.

software.intel.com/en-us/articles/efi-shells-and-scripting

I don't get it, why not just boot into the bios?

>the absolute state of nu-Jow Forums

Attached: 1464812833768.jpg (800x587, 42K)

computer niggers just keep adding extra complexity so they get more money

UEFI is a useless and bloated botnet.

>bios
An accurate term would be UEFI setup utility at this point. The shell is for pretty much everything the setup can't do. Some manufacturers don't allow you to modify EFIvars directly to create new boot options (fucking ASSCock). With the EFI shell you can manually run any .efi binary on an EFI partition and then change EFIvars from the OS.

> bios
UEFI, son. bios is old tech. something has fucked up if it's booting into EFI shell and not your drives.

My teacher said UEFI is a type of BIOS, are you guys sure you know what your on about?

BIOS = Basic Input/Output System AKA Firmware
UEFI = Basic Input/Output System AKA Firmware
BIOS was replaced by it's successor UEFI
So they're both right.

Attached: skull ultimatewalrus scr1.png (960x540, 18K)

Why do I even need a BIOS, why not just install text-based Linux on my chipset? It's like 5MB or something huh

no. your teacher is retarded and should be using the proper name for it that's used today and not referring to the old name.
because PCs have no idea how to configure themselves without it.

>hurr my teacher
Unsurprising. BIOS and UEFI are both firmware systems that run on your motherboard. They essentially serve the same purpose, but the UEFI can do much more and includes a legacy option to emulate a BIOS. What your teacher is stating is comparable to saying Windows is a type of DOS.
linuxboot.org

>typing is efi shell apt update

Attached: Jq9aZSk.jpg (226x250, 6K)

>your teacher is retarded
>>hurr my teacher
She has two degrees more than you...

It's like a compatibility layer to help with being able to run an x86 app across different machines.
Also the engineering principle of redundancy - if the OS install is fucked you can still use the bios to boot into a CDROM or USB to fix the OS.

Attached: bernie sanders sir evelyn de rothschild.png (1914x936, 276K)

Because Wintel monkeys were just mentally incapable to solve these kind of tasks the right way.

Attached: boot-prom-to-cd.png (1026x824, 49K)

his teacher is right
a BIOS is a Basic Input/Output System
a UEFI is a type of BIOS
a BIOS is something any computer has, from your smartphone to a Playstation 4 or a PS1 or a Raspberry Pi, they all have their various subtypes, UEFI is just one variant that is common nowadays, UEFI is a BIOS, but most people mean the BIOS Setup Utility when they say BIOS, in that case yeah that's not a thing anymore since computers nowadays UEFI as opposed to old standard BIOS, you can even check this out for yourself, if you switch your boot type if your mobo supports it from UEFI to "Legacy" it does not call it BIOS, it just calls it Legacy, because there's not really a proper name for that type of it since normies just got used to calling it the BIOS since it's been around for so long, but by changing that, you've still got that UEFI Firmware and the UEFI Setup Utility but you will be booting using that legacy boot option, the Legacy BIOS, not the UEFI BIOS, so the BIOS most people call the BIOS
hope that makes sense

>"poweruser" sees EFI Shell
>types "internet.exe"

no, what the teacher is saying is that Windows is a type of OS

>Windows is a type of OS
It does not pass any POSIX standards, so.....

so you're saying Windows is not an operating system?

>muh degree
Doesn't mean she has to know how a computer works below the OS kernel level.
The thing you call BIOS is actually called a firmware interface, doesn't matter if it can be described as a system that performs basic input and output tasks. BIOS is a type of motherboard firmware interface, so is UEFI.
Wrong given above statement, though there's a similar correlation. The statement "Windows is a type of DOS" is true since Windows can be considered a disk operating system, that is, an operating system running off of a disk (or hard *disk* drive, etc.)
kek

Well, it executes some code, has some apps for it, and displays things on the screen.... But at the same time it's closed source and doesn't fit any standard definition of an OS.

>Doesn't mean she has to know how a computer works below the OS kernel level.
It does if your masters degree is literally on that.

BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System
a PS1 BIOS is not the same BIOS as on your 386 PC but it's a BIOS nonetheless, same way as UEFI is a BIOS but not the same BIOS as a legacy BIOS. BIOS = "Motherboard FIrmware Interface"
>statement is true
Yeah if you stretch it, but Windows is an OS, UEFI is a BIOS, simple as
can't tell if you're trying to force a bad joke or just retarded or both

>can't tell if you're trying to force a bad joke or just retarded or both
Sit down and look at the facts. Windows doesn't fit any standardisations.

>She

Found the problem.

>ignore basically everything I said
>"my definition is the correct one"
Calling this firmware interface"BIOS" is merely a misconception due to the BIOS being the most common firmware interface people would interact with, that was the case for a long period of time.
lmao

>^C^Dexit^Zquit:q:!^C:qq

According to wikipedia
>non-volatile firmware used to perform hardware initialization during the booting process