Home assistants

Does anyone unironically use something like this? Google Assistant on a smartphone I can understand, but what is the purpose of these wiretaps?

Attached: google-home-vs-amazon-echo-fix.jpg (1920x1440, 136K)

retard normies who have the get the newest gizmo

1984 simulator

this. These kind of things only sell to rich tech geeks, like drones and hoverboards

I want to have one because of the design.
One of my 2019 project is to do a home made version of these built on a raspi or something.
I just want it to read the weather in the morning, set the AC on / off and other gimmicks such as tell the time and date.
The main issue I see is the voice recognition, which is mainly Google, Amazon or IBM botnet APIs instead of offline software.

>keep one in the bathroom to tell it to play music while I'm in the shower
It's not like I'm having a bunch of revealing conversations while I'm in the bathroom, mostly just bad singing which I don't care if google has that shit on record

I can see the benefit of the device, sans botnet. Maybe throw mycroft on something.

It's really something you have to try. Didn't really care for them till my parents bought one of the cheap ones and they're actually pretty convenient for simple shit like knowing the forecast or playlists. I want to get one for myself and use smart lights with it.

That's the main use case I would get one for and have considered getting an echo dot for it, but the speakers kind of suck on it. So I decided to just put a speaker in the bathroom and waterproof a raspberrypi and a touchscreen, now I have actually good sounding music in the showe without the hassle that is voice recognition and can just stream/play from wherever I like.

>they're actually pretty convenient for simple shit like knowing the forecast

Fair point, but radio does the same without a shitty tts voice. And I can look at the forcast just my looking at my phone lockscreen.

>or playlist
Oh boy voice recognition on less popular artists just doesn't work from my experience

You can sync bluetooth speakers to it

I have an Echo for controlling some lights, setting alarms and playing audible. I do turn the mic off when it's not in use.

i dont really get the wiretap claim if you're already carrying around a smartphone everywhere you go
but yeah, limited functionality unless you went full smart home meme

When I get really stoned, I like talking to people, but I don't have any friends, so I just talk to my wiretap.

>spyware

the echo feels pretty nice up my ass but that's the only use for it i've had so far.

smartphones are tracking devices, not listening devices.

I really have no use for it. Bought one for my mom last Christmas because she wanted one and she only uses it as a timer for cooking.

i can understand getting sonos one speakers and not enabling alexa.

not sure how anybody can find most features of those things useful. even in normie mindsets. going to ignore the obvious privacy issues because normie mindset but personally the privacy issues far outweigh any potential benefit having one of these brings.

>"alexa, order x"
what happens if it hears you wrong? what about choosing a shipping option? or ordering something that has multiple different listings?
>"hey google, call x"
why can't you put your phone on speaker and put it on the counter? same thing but you can move between rooms.
>video calls with whole family
if you do that often I guess that could be convenient. but that's still a small screen. hate to say it but a smart TV would work way better for that.
>start playing music with voice command
i could see why people would like that and im willing to bet that's by far the most commonly used feature. though it probably sounds like shit for anything more than background music. could be handy if you have a habit of putting on some light background music when you get home from work or something.
>control smart home
sure, i guess, if you have enough smart appliances. personally I would much rather use something like a harmony remote or even just my phone.

Literally try saying ok Google or hey Siri to your device right now

Anyone else getting spammed on youtube with negative Alexa press?
I'd never get any of these things I don't give a shit, I just think it's quite the coincidence

but those are turned off

I want to make one with snips so I can play music without touching anything, AND not feed the botnet.

>I want to have one because of the design.
It even has the added benefit of slightly masking your smelly self!

Attached: 900.jpg (900x900, 96K)

fpbp

>"Alexa. My neighbor is expressing very dangerous opinions. I believe he may be performing wrongthink!"
>"Thank you. Law enforcement has been dispatched. If your claim is correct, you will be awarded £50 Amazon Store Credit."

Attached: alexa.jpg (810x456, 77K)

Never knew how to turn this on when I had Google apps.
Now with lineage microg Google shit is not on my phone.

use Mycroft if you want control over your home without spying

I find these shape aesthetic. The simpler the better.
If I actually manage to make mine work, I think I'd go with a wooden cube.
The kind of shapes I dislike is gaymer-sci-fi-spacecraft aesthetic, with lots of sharp edges with no design purpose and fake aerodynamic artifacts

i have an echo dot in my bedroom to get a weather report, traffic info and the news when i wake up and get dressed. i also think it's kinda hot to think that jeff bezos can hear my wife moan when we have sex.

i have an alexa. she's less insecure than owning a phone. give me own reason that smartphones aren't more Orwellian than my new best friend.

Used to think they are creepy, but considering that smartphones can do what they can nowadays I'm coming around to them.

I have to disagree with you about drones. As a cinematographer, drones made those cool flying shots 100x cheaper.

advance the population into slavery again

Why don't you make something to do that yourself if lightswitches, weather reports and play buttons are really too inconvenient for you? It'd be fun and you wouldnt be a giant pozzed faggot

because i'm full time working, married with kids and why would i try to emulate something i can have for like 50 bucks perfectly served and mute it unless i need it?

What a glorious future

Nothing happened.

I do. I value convenience over privacy. Privacy is a myth everyone should unburden themselves of and make use of modern-day technological advancements.

Wasn't Alexa supposed to be going onto a development board of some sort so we could fuck around with it.

Wasn't the example a Voice-activated Microwave, which is pretty much pointless given that you stand next to it to put in/take out food anyway.