I thought of a solution to the monetize free software issue...

I thought of a solution to the monetize free software issue. Can't you just ship source code with the product so only people who buy it have it? I mean sure there will be pirates but
1) most pirates don't care about downloading the source code
2) they would probably pirate it if it were free or proprietary anyway

Attached: serveimage(8).png (2000x994, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's already been solved. Red Hat is a million dollar company.

Red hat is the exception not the rule.

Just sell support and services, not software itself.

FSF, Linux, Google, Canonical, Debian, IBM, and The Open Group all make a lot of money on the back of free software.

where the fuck have you been for the last 20 years? in jail? living in some secluded shithole, cut off from the rest of the universe?

Most non enterprise users don't need support

Enterprise is where the money is, though.

Apparently yes because everyone just talks about "muh red hat" "muh support"

Enterprise is where money is. (unless we are talking about games, and even in games you can sell services aka subscription to be able to play on servers). Do you want to make money or not? Also some freelance artists would not mind support I suppose.

Why shouldn't people be able to be remunerated for their efforts developing software?

This is what freetards actually believe.

You can sell your users data, just make it non-obvious in Terms of service and hide it so only a lawyer would understand that. Nobody reads that anyway, but just to be safe in court.

Freetards read ToS mate.

Freetards are less than 1% and non-profitable so you can say "fuck off" to them and nothing will happen. If you have money you can shove your dick down their throat any time anyway (see SystemD example).

your typical software pirate does not give a shit if he's pirating proprietary or FOSS. He doesn't even know the difference.

The issue is chink companies lifting your code and then reselling it for pennies. You can stop this by having centralized software sellers agree not to do business with these folks. If I release a FOSS game and put it on Steam, Valve could just not do business with imposters. Besides, it clutters the marketplace.

Chinks are an issue, i don't think many normies would know where to get chinkware though

>you sell to one party
>they are free to distribute your code for free
Great idea. You can cancel their subscription of updates of your software if they ever do that though. That's how the grsecurity Linux kernel patches are distributed nowadays AFAIK.

>pirates
Most pirates do not use personal computers at all.
You see, piracy is violent robbery at sea. All you need is a boat and weapons. GPS helps, but is not mandatory. A skilled pirate can navigate by sight and with a sextant.

>pirate
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy

I say piracy because people know what it means. Stop being an autist

>I say piracy because people know what it means. Stop being an autist
Some people THINK they know what it means because they've been brainwashed by the motion picture and music industry.
Granted, establishing "piracy" as a misnomer for copyright infringement was a genius move because pirates have been romanticized in popular culture for over a century, while in real life they were murdering thieves.

>stop being an autist

So the only way to profit from your "software" is not by selling it, but by becoming pc janitor or paki call support for your software?
Yikes.

No.

Post an example then.

They sell not "software"(that they actually develop and test, etc), they sell a "solution", a package that has software, consultations, support in it, etc. Thats how it works with other companies like microsoft too when its b2b practice.

Crowdfunding, donations, equipment, telemetry. The FSF embodies the first two, Google the second two.

lol people complaining about pirating while pirating courses to learn to program.