/hsg/ Home Server General

What Jow Forums use for the home, and for what use ?

Mein :
> Built from pieces that took dust.
> 8Gb RAM
> 3x2 To ZFS
> FreeNAS-11.2-RC2

Attached: 20161028_172107.jpg (1920x1080, 287K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/ae/business/p/precision-7820-workstation/pd
bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-10tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-with-32gb-easystore-usb-flash-drive-black/6290669.p?skuId=6290669
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hello cuties, i fell for the odroid-h2 meme , AMA

Anyone got some good suggestions for cheap 2011 v2 boards? I seen a GA-7PESH2 on sale in burger land for super cheap but I cant find anything remotely feature parity for less than $400 here in yurop

Attached: 1528210118908.jpg (2304x1728, 1.03M)

Too bad odroid-h2 can't into h265 video to double as a media center

What tower is that? I need something on the cheap that can store at least 6 3.5" drives with a flat top, and that looks close to perfect.

tranny

It has h265 hardware acceleration, it uses the j4105. Can stream 4k vids no prob.

Found it struggles with plex transcoding with hdr10 content, but even a 65w 7700 struggles with that too

Attached: 1518417771863.jpg (2304x1728, 1.61M)

(((you)))

Wow, I thought it didn't, cool af

Dell Precision 7820T

dell.com/ae/business/p/precision-7820-workstation/pd

Looking for something small that can handle streaming plex, without any input other than putting media into folder. For my girlfriend who i can't teach how to use handbrake for raspi plex solution

shield + storage, un-ironically

What?

From top to bottom:
Screen that is attached to storage box on the bottom just in case. Don't really use it much.

NUC with i7 and 16GB of ram. My low-power box that runs always-ons like ssh pinhole (non-standard port) and vpn. Also runs a personal wiki.

Shitty old netbook that I use as a terminal to the big stuff below

Big old switch. I got it from work for free. It's gigabit and managed.

Old gaming rig - sandy bridge i7 and 16GB of ram. Powered down at the moment, but I'm thinking about setting it up as a steamlink/emulator server to my TV.

HPE ML tower. 2x E5-2690s and 40GB of ram. Runs my ESXI and my high-end gaming servers for friends/family. Ark, DnL, TF2, CS:Go, Feed the Beast, etc etc. Thinking about setting up a virtualized pfsense with the extra gigabit ports.

Supermicro 24 bay beast. 2x E5-2640s and 32GB ECC ram. Runs ubuntu with zfs on linux with two zpools for 40TB of usable storage. Stores all the things for me and family. About a dozen Plex users for 1000+ movies and TV shows. Also runs crash plan, next cloud, and a couple VMs.

Attached: datrack.png (450x1082, 901K)

You mean serving Plexmediaserver? or just a streaming client? Raspberry pi does the streaming just fine, theres even a distro specifically for it. rasplex

Works for me as a plex client.

What AM4 boards can run headless? Planning an 8core Ryzen build running VSphere with 6+ VM's, and I only need a video card for the install and initial network setup, taking it out afterwards to make space for other controllers. I know a couple ASRock boards will throw a warning beep but still boot without a gpu, but I'm curious on what other options I have.

you can buy dummy video adapters for a few £ and will avoid the no gpu boot issue.

>Home Server
>not putting your server in a secure datacenter with multiple internet providers, diesel backup, and 24/7 on site staff.
fucking plebs

haha

Attached: 1523764793080.png (404x402, 340K)

>Trusting your hardware to other people

Sure thing buddy

no, haha

Attached: 1531922251947.jpg (1200x800, 53K)

But if its locked away in a dc, I can't enjoy the blinken lights

cheap ass hdmi-vga converters also works the same way, only uglier

your point isn't entirely invalid except that you omit the part that anything made in the last 20 years has (((government backdoors))) built in

>But if its locked away in a dc, I can't enjoy the blinken lights
you can monitor the blinken lights with the remote management subsystem.

But you can't enjoy that 5ms ping on your /homeserver/ game servers. Or your 10gigabit file transfers.

Thanks, but don't those still require at least one video output? I didn't mean having no monitor connected, I meant not having a video card at all, I know some boards allow it.

Attached: 41o4wg6loZL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 13K)

most am4 have vga outputs? need them frapu support

Need them for APU support*

fucking keyboard is dying

They have, but I'm speculating here, how would it recognize a connected dummy if there isn't an integrated gpu linked to it in the first place?

How good for a GNU/Linux desktop are Odroid H2 and Intel J3455 NUC? Do they have good Linux kernel support? Do they spy on me as in Intel ME kind of bullshit? What is the best for a desktop replacement where I can watch movies and and go to youtube?

Attached: triggered.jpg (643x658, 340K)

>But you can't enjoy that 5ms ping on your /homeserver/ game servers
modern games have faggy latency algos because of people with shit connections, people who play on wifi, etc
unless you are playing old games like quake2 and earlier, an ultra low ping is mostly wasted

>10gigabit
so you are able to saturate a 10Gbps link with your shitty storage server? lol yeah right. unless you have cobbled together some sort of server with NVMe SSDs you aren't going to get that type of throughput..
And it's still orders of magnitude slower than local NVMe SSD.

Was there always a bear on the mountain on the toblerone logo or am I having a stroke

Nice hair, user.
Also, how are the game servers set up? VM for each? is the data for the game servers stored on the Supermicro machine?

Dell SFF 790
> i7-2600
> 2x4 GB RAM
> Quad gigabit NIC from ebay in PCIe slot (LAN) + onboard gigabit Ethernet port (WAN)
> 250 GB 3.5" HDD it came with for VMs + 1 TB 2.5" drive from my laptop for torrents
> runs proxmox

VMs:
> pfSense (DNS over TLS, ad blocking)
> debian (qbittorrent-nox, tor relay, samba share)
> gentoo (SSH so I don't have to use the windows machines at uni)

Attached: router2.png (640x800, 779K)

I don't really know but in theory a couple HDDs in RAID could reach around 5Gbps. I don't know what overhead RAID imposes though.

Thanks.
Each server has its own VM, mostly running ubuntu with them as its most comfy for me. DnL requires windows though, so thats the only exception. Each backs up the game server files to the supermicro nightly, and then I have a cronjob that runs XSIBackup once a week.

Thats a sweet lil box user. Very nice! Where did you stuff the ssd? Can't see it in the pic.

>Sun Ultra Enterprise 250
>2x 400MHz UltraSPARC II
>2GiB of FPM EDO RAM, soon to get a 16GiB Optane module for swap
>Modern SATA drives, connected via a Supermicro SAT2-MV8 SATA II PCI-X controller
>Intel something-or-other PCI-X dual GbE controller
>Debian GNU/Linux

I use it for torrenting, as a NAS and a boot server for older Macs and Sun machines.

Attached: IMG_20161121_123153.jpg (2560x1920, 1.88M)

why do i need a server

There is no SSD, just the two HDDs I mentioned. The HDDs sit in this weird HDD cage (pic related).
I thought about getting an SSD, but SATA SSDs would be bottlenecked by the SATA II ports, so I just left it as-is.

Attached: hdd.jpg (1909x1075, 339K)

Sorry, misread. Ah crazy - didn't know you could stuff a 2.5" hdd in there. I have one here at work I put a 8TB WD red in it for a backup file server for our office. Now that I know I can put a 2.5" in there, might be able to expand easier instead of buying something bigger. Thanks

Cool. I'm thinking of getting a similar setup going. What drives are you using? How often do they need to be replaced?

I always wondered what happened to superkai64

Attached: superkai64-CuAnplLWYAAm9TV.jpg (902x1112, 70K)

Are you gonna get some kind of NVMe to SATA adapter to use the Optane SSD? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to run a PCIe SSD natively on PCI / PCI-X.

I'm getting a PCI to PCIe x1 adapter. I'd get a PCI-X to PCIe x4 adapter, but they're too expensive.

how much wam do i need

Have you measured the idle power draw?

Didn't realize those are a thing. Pretty cool if it works.
Does SPARC Debian from Debian Ports still work well?
Are you gonna use ZFS for the SSDs?
Have you tried running Solaris or Illumos on it?

zpool one is 3x 8TB Easystore Reds, shucked around black friday of 2017. zpool two is 4x 10TB easystore reds, shucked black friday 2018. Haven't had any errors yet. I don't have a formal replacement plan, likely just keep getting more easystores as they go on sale and as needed. With this latest zpool, i've got quite a bit of freespace, so it will for sure last until next black friday. With the 24bay and such large disks, I don't think I'll ever run out of room before one pool dies and is replaced by another.

What the fuck i never noticed, you changed my view of the world

Yeah, I'd sure would love my 2Mbps upload speed to my server in a datacenter, instead of 10Gbps in my home network.

At the moment I'm running my Plex Server off a 250GB internal disk and 2 external 3TB drives. I'm upgrading my content to 1080p so will need 2 8TB internal HDDs.

What should I be looking at when buying them off Amazon UK? There's a lot of choice and many of them are 4.1-4.3 stars but they all seem to have a lot of 1* reviews so am a tad worried.

Everything inside my current rig is otx sized including my 1070

I guess it's going to make a nice home server when I upgrade everything, except that it chugs power like a bitch.

>multiple internet providers
You can get that, stop being poor.
>diesel backup
Wait you don't already have a backup generator...?
>24/7 on site staff
You're probably at home 24/7 if u cant afford the aforementioned things. Kys

Thanks user. I'll probably wait for next black Friday to shuck a bunch of drives too.

>Does SPARC Debian from Debian Ports still work well?
Yeah, works far better than other archs like ppc. I haven't had a single issue with it so far.
>Are you gonna use ZFS for the SSDs?
No SSDs here, only spinning rust. Also no RAID, md or anything like that because I'm poor and I'm limited to tape backups. Maybe I'll replace the OS drive (currently running off an old laptop drive) for an SSD
>Have you tried running Solaris or Illumos on it?
Not really. It did come wih Solaris when I got it (of course), but I need compatibility with modern hardware, so it's staying with GNU/Linux. I have other UltraSPARC boxes I can mess around with Solaris on.

Openstack cluster of 8 intel NUC's, each with 256 GB SSD and 32 GB RAM. P good. Really high density. Can fit it in a backpack if I want. I can add more nodes if I need more power and they get automatically installed over network. If one breaks down I can just remove it without powering the cluster down. It's very flexible. I have a 72 U rack that I just use for my router in my closet but I'd rather use this.

What do you use them for?

Teamspeak :) I've used them for work before.

Posted in /PCBG/ not alot of help. Working up a KVM machine. Any input on used dual E5-2690 v3 vs a new threadripper 1950x/2950x all other specs being the same. Using ryzen 1700 now pegged at 45-55% and looking for some head room.

Get WD Mybook 8TB's and shuck them. See reddit.com/r/datahoarder for many many details.

They are on-sale RIGHT NOW. $179 is blackfriday pricing. If you can't afford them right now, they'll likely go on sale at close to this price 3-4 times throughout the year.

bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-10tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-with-32gb-easystore-usb-flash-drive-black/6290669.p?skuId=6290669

Hi, i hope to find some help here
I got a raspi some time ago and i wanted it to stream music to my phone. How doable is that? I tried installing mopidy and use it with an mpd player on my phone, but i couldn't get it to work, but i could try again. Do you have any software recommendations for that purpose? I frankly don't feel like tinkering around much, so I'd love to hear what solutions you would consider the easiest to get working.

Attached: IMG_20190103_213348.jpg (1744x1605, 882K)

ampache is what you're looking for. pretty easy to get setup and configure and will stream your music no prob

i think you can use plex for that, but i think only with a premium plan

Are there many v3's on the used market yet? I'm only starting to see an influx of v2's on the market now. I'm sure theres some, but big co's aren't dumping them quite yet. Might be better to go with threadripper. What're you running thats so intensive?

Come on - what really?

Multiple VM doing private web host, cloud, data storage, media center, bot scripts, light NN work, misc other stuff. The bots and NN are 90% of that load.

I have seen a few V3 setups but not as easy to find for sure. Dumping $1500-2000 on something used with no warranty seems a little sketchy but the cost/performance and registered ecc has me intertaining the idea.

1024mb but it has to be dedotated

You could have get a NUC at the same price as an odroid+power+case. And upgrade it how much you like

Attached: 1543818396712.jpg (1080x1080, 111K)

>similar spec nuc for $110
Where?

nucs start at like $300 and offer the same upgradability. I dont even think there is a gemini based nuc with two NIC's, though I may be wrong

>odroid h2, 150 usd
>12v, 4Amp power, 20 usd
>case, 10 usd
>ugly as fuck case

god I wish that were me

What nuc are you referring to?

Some cheap shit, it's impossible the remember the names

The only 2 nic nuc I found was the Gigabyte one. wasn;t too great on price or soc.

the h2 is just a cheap nuc, I'm not trying to say otherwise, it has its place.

Two of these. Each keeps same copy of all data.

1 Zyzel Nas w/ 2TB x 4 Raid 5 volume. Copy of data that is not replaceable/hard to replace. shutdown

1 Server 2012R2 box w/refs volumes. Media server/FTP server & client pc backup dump. Sometime torrent dump.

All runs from ups.

Attached: Freenas123118.jpg (1839x902, 279K)

aww yeah nigga, microservers.
Are you just using the ahci controller and passing the drives though on the n40l? you still on the onboard gbe networking?

Attached: 1529295428007.jpg (1728x2304, 1.13M)

What do you use for virtual machines on Linux headless?

Yeah the drives are not using the onboard Raid at all. Used the bios mod to get all ports at 3.0 Gbps. Got them in ahci mode. The onboard GBE lan chip does pretty good so might as well keep using it. Speed wise they're pretty quick. But all I use them for is just for files.

same user: people have stuffed 8TB drives in these and they work fine. so following that, 10 and 14TB drives should work fine as well.

Are those shucked WD white label drives decent? I have 2 WD Reds but both are 2tb and I'm itching for more space.

I tried to put a 10gbe card in mine to play around with, iscsi and SMB over the network maxes out the CPU at around 400ish MB/s,

you should upgrade to 11.2 btw, so much nicer.

Attached: 1536681375726.jpg (1609x917, 113K)

The whole HDD market is a joke anymore. WD blues have a 2 yr warranty. Red's 3 yr, while Enterprise has 5 yrs. So going by warranty alone in order to get the longest surviving drive you gotta pony up for the Enterprise grade. This assumes you don't run out of space on the drive before the warranty ends. But Red's will last a long time, outlasting the warranty, in most cases. So the warranty is pointless So that means that the whole class system (Blue/RED/Enterprise) is a joke to.

I have the case in my pic so I was going to build a PC to be a home server, how does it seem power house wise? I'd mainly be running Minecraft servers, media home server, and probably a shared drive for my network that gets backed up through raid. Also is Ubuntu all good for this possible set up? I've only used windows and freenas in the past.

Attached: Capture+_2019-01-03-18-33-45.png (1183x683, 133K)

Old photo, with no GPU, Wifi card, BMC, TPM and only 32GB RAM.

Currently:
2 x 6386SE,
64GB RAM,
Radeon RX560

And coreboot without any blobs.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 405K)

isit worth moving from an edgerouter x to a managed switch and a virtualized pfsense router?

if so, what is the cheapest switch that's
- managed
- has poe on at least 4 ports
- at least 2 sfp+ 10G ports
- at least 8 gigabit rj45 ports
- passively cooled

>nuc for $55

Where?

What is the model of the switch?

hes talking about the h2

Attached: 1541526280040.jpg (1593x481, 43K)

>6386SE,
Hahahaha

Pick up a cheap 2011 board user and ditch those housefires

Sorry, I don't like to have an intimate anal relationship with Intel.

I'll soon upgrade to Talos anyway.

Does that even exist? I doubt it

ok faggot I got into the home server meme but I got a gay raspberry pi hooked to a usb3.0 hdd. Which odroid or othe singleboard computer should I buy instead because a raspberry pi is painfully slow and shit.

I want to get a Rock64 because muh 4gb RAM meme. Convince me otherwise.

Attached: r64.png (1920x1080, 391K)

I guess I don't see the need for a home server these days. I used to have one, but really all I used it for was file storage which I can now do with my NAS. Then I just link my gear up to the share.

Here's my poor homelab.

Attached: 20180217_153422.jpg (3024x4032, 3.26M)

I use a RockPro64 with 2 HDDs over USB3.0 in Raid 1. A cheap M.2 NVMe SSD serves as writecache for bcache. I get 100mb/sek reads and 80-100mb/sek writes.

Convince me to make a home server anons. I have a first gen ryzen 1700 and over 6 tb of HDD not in use.