Mozilla to kill off RSS features in Firefox because they're hardly used

I just noticed Firefox can't display RSS anymore. Fucking RSS!

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???

zdnet.com/article/end-nears-for-rss-firefox-64-to-drop-built-in-support-for-rss-atom-feeds-says-mozilla/

Attached: FF.jpg (1233x1233, 511K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/aureliendavid/rsspreview
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/feed-preview/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/feedbroreader
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mozilla already killed off addons, now this? If I wanted a useless browser, I'd choose one that respects my privacy and doesn't sell all my data.

Who the fuck uses RSS? Ah right.
>everything before gen z
Proud Gen Z here.

I use it to browse podcast feeds, fuck your platform apps

That will be a "fat no u" from me.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to use Firefox

you make no sense, kid

fucking underageb&s

I'm 19. Literally only old people use RSS.
You're just out of touch with the modern world.

>lol bloatware eww
>wtf why are you debloating your software and removing features that literally NO ONE uses

classic Jow Forums cognitive dissonance

>You're just out of touch with the modern world.
The modern world is shit. Which is why everything successful is just rehashed from 10-15 years ago and older. No one wants to live in this always connected surveillance dystopia, they just want to forget.

>because they're hardly used
this is true

if you don't like it => SM or TB
or use rawdog with cron

>itunes
>modern
kys, child

18 gen Z here, proud user of Tiny Tiny RSS. Cull through a pile of shit links every morning (usually ~60, mostly from a large link aggregator) and find some good nuggets. Even have some feeds that are generated from websites that don't have feeds (via CSS selectors).

>I'm 19
go on...

As I said - out of touch.
Who talked about iTunes?

>I'm 19
You're no where close to being in touch with anything except maybe fortnite twitch cancer memes

Nice try but nope. I don't play Fortnite or watch twitch streamers.
I'll give you the point, althought you're the first

How hard would it be for browser developers to display RSS? WTF is so difficult??

I just use my email client to read my feeds.

It's a quick update for the news, you make it a bookmark in the toolbar and you get your news titles listed and updated every 10 min or however you want.
Mozilla is making ff shittier and shittier with less features (except the shit ones like pocket) until it's completely irrelevant and alienates it's user base.
Market share is already shit so I wouldn't be surprised if google doesn't pay them to slowly take a dive.

Do you think many of us were around when Unix, C, or Vi were created? Yet we still use them. Things were just designed better in the past, friend.

Firefix died the minute Soros got involved.
Just use Chrome at this point.

>a quick update for the news
>trusting mainstream media

Can't believe this happened. That's hilarious.

The live bookmarks feature was shit. The only thing that annoys me about this update is that it removed the ability to preview the feeds.

>Just use Chrome at this point.
No, people should just use Waterfox

>trusting mainstream media
I use it for torrentfreak and other alternative media...
>The live bookmarks feature was shit.
It was good enough for my needs.

Completely retarded but that is mozilla's MO

Use icecat

zoomer faggot

Im also 18
RSS is the most based form of following things you like
I use RSS for everything instead of having 5+ accounts of botnet social media that feeds me random crap
98% of my generation is just a bunch of NPC's eating up trends that are being fed to them by the marketing departments of corporations
Fucking normies

Stupid zoomer thinking that keeping up with the most uptoday smartphones and videogames makes you intouch of technology

Attached: 9BB1EF85-E003-4462-9A0B-E19750CC1F51.png (1890x1630, 448K)

ITT zoomer gang does an epic Fortnite dub on Jow Forums

Hmm, yes.

Attached: IMG_20190103_133323.jpg (1080x1174, 215K)

I simply forward rss to an irc channel
same with tracking new Jow Forums threads actually (using the api)

>same with tracking new Jow Forums threads actually (using the api)
Would really like to know how to set this up

1. track already announced threads
2. read json
3. see if there are any new ones
4. send them to the channel and add to the already announced list
5. sleep and repeat

What do you need RSS in 2019 for? Do you also have a fax machine?

Attached: Yikes-Rental-Car-Horror-Stories-Colin-Shaw-Featured-Image[1].jpg (700x376, 34K)

podcasts without "apps" you nigger pleb

>podcasts
Anyone with a podcast worth listening to already has a you tube channel.

Alright, I'll be the moshilla this morning
Almost nobody uses RSS anymore, and those that do likely aren't using it through Firefox. I see this as a healthy de-bloating for a browser that tried to do more shit than a browser already has to do.

>killed off addons
every useful add-on still exists

Thanks. I didn't know there was JSON available.

> you tube
BOTNET DETECTED

Attached: 3122009123718pm.jpg (417x480, 56K)

only the retarded ones

Nothing they said that having descriptions in bookmarks was too much maintenance so they removed it too.

How costly in dev time could be a text box not searchable inside the bookmarks? just think about it, they told that the maintenance cost for that was TOO HIGH!!!

I use Feedly to read all my RSS feeds.

You can also get RSS feeds for YouTube channels.
I’m sometimes only interested in a certain thing a YouTube channel makes so I just get the RSS feed for a certain playlist from the YouTube channel instead of subscribing to the channel and having to dig through a pile of shit to see what I want in the subscription feed.

>2k+18+1
>still using rss

Attached: 1542409065322.png (889x733, 550K)

i only started using RSS kinda recently

Who else here newsboat Chad

ye

Based zoomer

>year 2019
>still using Firefox
grampa stop hindering progress

idiot

>2k+18+1
>still using firefox

>Muh minimalism I use dedicated RSS reader
>everything else is bloat
>mozilla removes bloat
>MUH BLOAT

What can replace Firefox for browsing RSS feeds?

Chrome with the RSS extension kinda works but it's complete shit, only shows titles

>be HTML browser dev
>displaying XML shit with its tags
>so hard

WTF

Use feedbro, it can do youtube, instagram, facevook, twitter as well, best shit ever

You know you can use an extension to get RSS support in firefox right?

How far did Waterfox progress with implementing the Servo modules from Firefox?
As far as I know they didn't implement many

I don't really need RSS support I just want RSS feeds displayed in human readable format like it used to be before FF 64.0

What extension does that??

What's this Boku no Pico called?

RSS doesn't serve adverts.

github.com/aureliendavid/rsspreview

There you go, the real reason

There's a few of them, I just looked up this one it seems pretty similar to the built in functionality.

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/feed-preview/

Very nice

Thanks but this one is closer to what it used to be

is it possible to read full articles with rss? i like the idea but reading only the title and five other words without opening the original website is pointless

I think RSS can only provide what the site owner themselves allow it to so your mileage may vary but there are more advanced feed readers that can basically provide a minified version of the webpage.

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/feedbroreader

>current year + 4
>still updating your web browser

RSS is anti botnet, you just downloading a plane file. I for example use it to evade Youtube subscription botnet

>not using rss to follow youtube channels
>not using mpv to cuck them from any ad revenue

mPage still works

Attached: Screenshot_20190103_170456.png (1600x900, 255K)

>not using rss to follow youtube channels
How can you do this? I really, really need this.

>rss is bloat
This is Jow Forums

Why has no one stepped up to the plate to replace firefox entirely yet? Clearly the original values of the browser went down the shitter years ago. No more quality advertiser unfriendly addons, social justice before logic and function, and deliberate cutting of useful features. I mean come on, the furry that maintains palemoon shouldnt be the only one working. And hes working with shit software now.

is this the RSS thing? Looks amazing desu

Teach me how to better make use of rss feeds. All i've ever known is subscribing to a site and seeing the watered down version or some annoying partial page UI. How can I filter out the garbage I dont want from a site from a feed? Or is that still manual?

>Who the fuck uses RSS?
not you lol

I have 1 thing in my life and it has to be chopped into pieces over the course of years.
All I want is a good web browser. Firefox used to be that. Today it's worse, Tomorrow it's worse.
I'm so tired.

I've always wanted to like RSS feeds, but they're trash; they require a constant internet connection, and everybody configures them poorly. Firefox's implementation was also quite bad, only displaying certain XML tags.

RSS are only useful for torrents.

kek

>Firefix died the minute Soros got involved.
>Just use Chrome at this point.
*Ungoogled Chromium or Waterfox

Attached: gnu+linux snow.jpg (620x465, 42K)

I am a zoomer too and I use RSS, faggot.

RSS was never good.

Attached: myfirstwebpage.jpg (1601x933, 473K)

>I don't want bloat in my web browser! A web browser is a tool to make HTTP requests with and display the results, nothing more! BLOATED! BLOOOOAT! BOLOLOLOLOOOOOATED!
>WAAAH WHY IS THIS FEATURE NOBODY USES REMOVED FROM THE CORE FEATURES OF MY WEB BROWSER WAAAH, I WANT MY WEB BROWSER TO DO EVERYTHING (without using addons!).

This is really cool user. Not surprising to see you are also an EVE player. Great stuff

stay warm and comfy user!

>I just noticed Firefox can't display RSS
Seems like you don't care either. If you are that obsessed with rss feeds, use a proper program for that, not that half assed shit in the FF.

that old Avast screenshot made me immediately age six years

This. There's literally no reason to make your browser do it. Just use a dedicated program, or at least a mail client if you're too fucking lazy to find a standalone reader.

just use twitter you retarded niggers

>using RSS in a browser instead of a separate mobile app
Why

My 2011 self respects your layout.

Attached: minefield2.png (1920x1080, 275K)

Attached: minefield current r2.png (1920x1080, 773K)

>every useful add-on still exists

Tile Tabs

Just use Tree Style Tabs.

slowpoke.jpg