Why do Software and game devs say its "Linux compatible"

This annoys me so much since "Linux Compatible" actually means "We ported it and tried it on a Ubuntu 14.04 machine in a VM"
This is like saying "Windows compatible" and people getting angry that they cant run it on Windows CE.
It should say distro, not kernel in compatible!
Everything else is outside of the devs compatibility list. so trying to play DOOM in PuppyLinux is NOT SUPPORTED even if it says "Linux" on steam!
This is the biggest oversight and problem with devs taking the step into releasing Linux-versions!

Attached: 1445290721057.png (273x200, 26K)

What game op?

>gayme is linux native
>it runs at less than 30 fps compared to 144+ on windblows
truly the worst

This means that all fringe distros will be left out!
So be it!
Making things compatible with Linux will be done one step at a time! One distro/Linuxfamiliy and one desktop at a time!
And if you refuse to use that! Well sucks to be you!
There should be a OS-checker that scans your system before the program/game launches that detects if you have a compatible environment and if not, your crashes will go either unnoticed or gets sent categorized as "not supported" therefore will be dealt with
if time permits!
Im so tired of people expecting to get everything running on whaterver Distro they run!

Just check every game that announces that they are Linux compatible!
They say they run on Linux but then you have to ask them on a forum or by email about wich disto they tried it on.

For example all Valves games are Linux compatible but have only been tested for real on Ubuntu and Steam OS!
Not Kubuntu, not mint, not debian, not elementary os, not Zorin not Ubuntu Mate.
ONLY vanilla Ubuntu and SteamOS.
And it should say so on the Requirements on the games store page!
"This games Linux Distro is: Ubuntu 16.04 and Steam OS"

There are thousands of distros, you can't check for everyone, but it shouldn't be a problem anyway most of the time.

>And it should say so on the Requirements on the games store page!
It LITERALLY does, this is DOTA 2, but I have checked for other games too.

Attached: Screenshot_20190103-175742.png (1440x2880, 740K)

because no matter the experience, no matter the merits, you'll still be a retard if you can't make a distinction like that

They should put required libraries instead of outright saying "OS:*" like GOG does

It says Ubuntu 12.04 or newer.
Manjaro 15 is newer than Ubuntu!

Just use proton. It literally just works and every client update whitelists new games. I'm playing all my new AAA releases in Linux without native support at max settings.

Sure, I agree that this is a good idea, but the intention here is pretty clear. You can't test all distros so the developers take one very popular distros and make a guarantee that it works there.

Stop being retarded.
Windows 7 or newer also doesn't mean it will run on the latest MACOS.
Also how do you define "newer"? Uses more recent libraries (in that case two distros can be both newer and older then the other), or was released more recently (then some Debian stable with older software might be "newer")?

It's a pretty tough ask to ask them to make games Linux compatible, given the market share, but also wanting them to test individual distros? That's going a bit far IMO. Though it would be nice if they told what distro (and version) they tried it on, so you can try to guess why something isn't working on your distro for example.

Nobody would invest in a testing for 0.1% of audience. That is not profitable.

What about Linux Mint?
Elementary?
Kubuntu? Lubuntu, Mate, Cinnamon, i3?
All these are built on Ubuntu.
There are Puppy versions built on a Ubuntu base that is 12 or newer!
This is my argument!
Instead of saying "Linux compatible" it should say "Ubuntu compatible!" and if someone tries to get it running on Arch their on their own!
But saying Linux compatible is missleading! and implies that any Linux version created after 12.04 is compatible.

This is what i find annoying about Linux users! Why cant they just be happy that there is a "gaming" version of Linux? People have been dualbooting and using GPU-passthroughs, built in hardware boot switches but now all of a sudden they cant dualboot vanilla Ubuntu to play games?
I dont like vanilla Ubuntu but i think its reasonable to install it as my "gaming" distro!

One post and this is canon now?
All markets starts somewhere user...
And since Windows is kinda futile at the moment, other alternatives becomes more interesting.

hey retard.

Look here
Wow they explicitly say which distro and driver you need.

>What about Linux Mint?
>Elementary?
>Kubuntu? Lubuntu, Mate, Cinnamon, i3?
>All these are built on Ubuntu.
>There are Puppy versions built on a Ubuntu base that is 12 or newer!
Yes, what about them?
It's obvious what is meant, namely VERSIONS OF UBUNTU newer then 12.04. Any sane person understands this.

>it should say "Ubuntu compatible!"
It LITERALLY does.
What the fuck is your point, the store page LITERALLY names the distro where it is guaranteed to work on.

>! and implies that any Linux version created after 12.04 is compatible.
No, it doesn't. Not to any person with reading comprehension skill of a 5 year old.
It implies that any UBUNTU version after 12.04 has been tested.

Expecting them to port it to obscure distros like puppy is absurd. We're lucky if we even get it on normal distros. Don't use irrelevant meme distros.

For real? I really want to move off windows 10 but i dont want to look an autist when i try to play with my friends and a game isnt supported.
Is elementary OS a good one for gaymin?

Im playing devils advocate idiot!
This is what people do with games on linux!
Have you talked to people?
9/10 people that you ask about their experience with gaming on Linux tried installing it on other distros that Ubuntu!
THIS IS THE PROBLEM!
People see the "Ubuntu 12.04" as a recomandation not a requirement and then they spam the forums with problems related to either another distro or another desktop enviroment!
Remove the "Linux compatible" and replace it with "Ubuntu compatible"
Stop being so autistic!

Did you read the OP?
Thats what is said...
> so trying to play DOOM in PuppyLinux is NOT SUPPORTED even if it says "Linux" on steam!

>Im playing devils advocate idiot!
No, you are being retarded. Saying "X should happen" while X already is happening AND THAT WAS POINTED OUT TO YOU makes you retarded, not a devil's advocate.

>People see the "Ubuntu 12.04" as a recomandation not a requirement
It LITERALLY, and I do mean LITERALLY, says it is a requirement.
It can not possibly be more clear then EXPLICITLY stating that a certain Linux distro is a requirement.

>and replace it with "Ubuntu compatible"
But there might be games which have been tested on other distros, do you want each distro to have its own section on Steam?

>Stop being so autistic!
I am not the one arguing for a completely retarded position here.

>And since Windows is kinda futile at the moment, other alternatives becomes more interesting.
Windows 10 is a good OS. Much better for casual user than any Linux distro. Sorry but linux hasn't grown out of such baby issues like screen tearing and retarded software installation (yes, dependencies garbage is retarded for casual desktop usage).

If linux is so easy to program then why does no one develop game for it?

To be fair, I haven't seem one that says "linux" and not "ubuntu".

Why are there no Proton vs Windows performance benchmarks? I can only find a handful of evidence.

best thread in years

Attached: jkhghjg.jpg (1024x576, 226K)