/pcbg/ - PC Building General

!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and Vega 56 are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: different-case-sizes.png (1600x838, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

level1techs.com/article/unlocking-2990wx-less-numa-aware-apps
pcpartpicker.com/list/BMrT7W
pcpartpicker.com/product/9nmxFT/seasonic-prime-ultra-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550gd2
pcpartpicker.com/list/g9QtdX
pcpartpicker.com/list/CDg2LJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/hhc2LJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/F8N3XP
corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-PCs/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-5180-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9030001-NA
pcpartpicker.com/list/dGmYBb
youtu.be/g1Yp6pQRdns?t=697
pcpartpicker.com/product/CdPKHx/gigabyte-z390-gaming-x-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-gaming-x
pcpartpicker.com/product/4srmP6/asrock-z390-pro4-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-pro4
pcpartpicker.com/list/LvJPD2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

With the improved Ryzen 2 memory controller will B-die matter as much?

You don't need b-die for 3000cl15 or 3200cl16

There's now a third party fix for shitty 2990WX/2970X performance on Windows.
level1techs.com/article/unlocking-2990wx-less-numa-aware-apps

Attached: Untitled.png (1048x456, 31K)

Imagine buying a $2000 processor and having to use ghetto fixes

>Intel paying off M$ is somehow an AMD problem
Show your nose.

Imagine buying from such a weak company with no influence to get your own $2000 product working right so you just give up but keep selling the said products knowingly it affects the user

Nobody know since there's no data
B-die will most likely be your only option for doing anything past 3200 at not terrible timings

Mini tower is master race

TFW R9FuryX is dying and there are no good AMD replacements.

Attached: sadfrog_blanket.jpg (500x365, 52K)

>third parties have to fix windows retardation
JUST

COPE

>Come here last year for help
>Get it
>Everything works well
>Don't have enough money to max out RAM
>Forget about buying more RAM
>Just remember now

Are RAM prices still way up or have they dropped? I still haven't even bought a new monitor which I was also supposed to do, I'm such a slob. Someone pls send help.

I think they are alright now, not ideal like three years ago but they are getting there.

But that might be due to my currency's inflation swings last year.

What FHD 60Hz monitor should I get to upgrade from my LG W2252TQ? I've been considering the LG 23MP55HQ, but the response time seems too high compared to my current monitor(supposedly 2ms)

Also Jow Forums's font rendering changed for some moments while hovering some images, wtf

Thanks dude. I've just checked my local bricks and mortar (which is always overpriced) online and they have some RAM on sale. I'm almost certain it's the same as what I have installed, and I do remember that it's best not to mix and match RAM, so I might have to take the plunge for that. I just have this feeling I'm going to be a retard and do something wrong.
Thanks though, I'll keep searching around and dig out my receipt to see how much I paid last year.

Should've gotten a 980 ti like I did

I also bought 10 year warranty from evga for $50

That's what you get for buying amd

Get a nice pair of 3200mhz 16gb sticks and sell your old kit. People will always buy second hand ram.

You'll have better performance and stability in the long run that way than a four channel setup.

how much could I reasonably get if I sold an old fx8350 and gtx670 build with 8gb of 1866 ram?

I already have a new build and might as well get some extra cash.

1080p is hardly any better than 1680*1050, but go for the cheapest or best value (sometimes very cheap screens don't quite produce color as well as stuff for $20 more) IPS 24"
IPS usually have 5-6ms response time which is fine since the majority of the lag comes from 60Hz taking 17ms to change frames and digital processing + black to white or color to color taking up to 20ms even if you have a 1ms gray to gray
That said, it looks like the one you are considering is pretty good, but I can't find prices for it.

I wouldn't pay more than $75 for that junk if I wanted it
Maybe you can find somebody, but those parts are barely worth more than the silicon used to make them

Is it possible to mix different brands of RAM as long as both sticks are clocked the same and have the same CAS latency?

Not interested in NVIDIA, my dude, but thanks for the sympathy. Not about those scummy practices.

RAM doesn't function by brand, it mostly depends on the memory chips that get binned
Yes it's possible, no it's not ideal. You might have to clock down even if everything seems fine because of secondary and tertiary timing conflicts that can't be changed without an overclocking-focused board

You sure you cant up the budget to a 27" ips 1440p?
They are very good value these days and should be a go-to buy if you aren't on a budget or need high performance.

You can probably scam some boomer father on craigslist/ebay for $400 with that build if you polish and dust it off. But it would probably be more reasonable at around $100-130 if you reinstall windows and have it ready to use, if its just the core components then like user said Don't forget to mention fortnite in the add.

Attached: 1534037846428.png (325x550, 220K)

I'm mostly changing monitors because my current one is showing signs of failure(random black screens during games, green pixels flickering on dark colors on Firefox, weird pink trails when scrolling Jow Forums and other colors on other websites). The price is pretty good.

I only have a 1060 so I'm not interested in 1440p. FHD will be fine.

Probably just give it to my fiance to play crap games.

Do PSU shrouds limit airflow or is that a meme? I don't know if I should use the one that came with my case

Advice like that is why I come here, I forgot about doing that.
I thought I had 2x8gb, but I don't it's 2x4gb. Now I have a feeling that 2x16gb might be out of my price range still. Either way, I'll be replacing the 2x4 with something that has more "oomph". Thanks friend.

Yes, if you have a fan under it
For cases that only keep a PSU and drive bay underneath, it's not going to impact performance of anything

Anyone else have CPU fan error on their asis mobo? I got 2 PCs with asus mobo and they both have the issue.

So I have a 1080 Ti, 4690k and a 4K panel. I've been considering selling the 4K panel and getting a 144hz/1440p one instead, but I'm worried about the 4690k bottlenecking. How big an FPS hit can I expect compared to using a modern CPU like a 2700x or something.

What would be the best CPU to pair with rtx titans (sli) for the best frame rate in games.
I also plan on doing some light video editing about 4 times a year besides gaming

Well, it depends on how CPU intensive the game is, but you can expect to be getting CPU bottlenecked in some of the DX12 games that need a lot of threads, and for the rest you may notice slight dips or stutters but nothing extreme, about the same as what you have now
I don't know why you would sell a good monitor for what isn't even a strict upgrade though
I'm assuming this is a joke and it's not funny

I'm assuming you're a faggot who cant answer questions and its not funny

Zen 2.

Ok but what about something better quality from intel.

There is no best CPU to pair with an SLI setup because SLI barely works 10% of the time
Get a 2700X, you'll have an extreme GPU or CPU bottleneck either way depending on your resolution

Get a Vega 56 mate.

No.

R5 2700

Built 3 Asus based systems this last year, none had any errors like that.

Attached: 1533457074142.png (209x326, 73K)

I play at 3440x1080. And could you recommend ne something that is Intel instead.

Nice image OP

It's probably still under warranty. Shitty card anyway.

Just get a 4770K

>R5 2700
>R5

I you have all that money, just by top of the line consumer Intel, retard

You'd be paying a lot more for the same shitty experience, and you wouldn't be able to upgrade without throwing your motherboard in the trash if SLI ever became not stupid
Fine, go get a 7980XE and have fun with your 10 fps and 30ms frametime delta

>Pooga

>he doesn't just build a new PC everytime he upgrades a part
I'm not sure why you even got into computers if you cant afford to do what you want.

I haven't decided whether I'll make the switch yet, but 4K seems a bit gimmicky at the moment. It looks nicer, but I have to use scaling since it's 27", and there are times when I have to turn down settings since anything less than 60fps looks too choppy whereas even the most intensive 1440p scenes are still well over 60.

I'll probably wait though anyway since my current one does look great and all the 1440p/144hz monitors use 2014 panels with issues. Hopefully CES has something for me...

Is my ryzen 5 2600 power hungry?
I've ma´naged to OC it to 4.0 ghz at 1.275V but it can easily reach 110W with a 50-60% load. It can go up to 140W at 100%.
Even the idle TDP is 15-20W while only having a browser with a couple of tabs open.
Did I get bad chip or is this an AMD only issue.
I don't really notice the high power usage but I'd like to lower it without having to underclock or use stock Ryzen speeds.

Attached: 2600.jpg (725x502, 29K)

How do dual rank dimms affect the ryzen memory autism? I'm looking at 2x16GB 3200CL16 that isn't officially on the QVL.

Will this be enough to run older games 1080P 60fps? What would I want to upgrade first on this sucker?

ASUS Graphics Card R9 290 8gb
AMD FX-8320 Processor @ 3.5/4.0 GHZ (w/ aftermarket fan and heat-sink)
Gigabyte Motherboard
1TB HDD
250GB SSD
8GB RAM

What are you using to manage power data?
I don't think there's cause for concern unless you're running precision boost overdrive, since that can do very sketchy things with frequency. Idle TDP I've heard is offset somewhat high because of infinity fabric, but it could also be an inaccuracy with your software since most programs are somewhat unreliable compared to physical voltage readings.
Dual rank is going to be harder on the controller at higher frequency, especially if it's hynix or micron RAM

CPU is your bottleneck. Vishera was slow on release and even slower now. Get a cheap Ryzen or Intel chip.

>What are you using to manage power data?
Hwinfo64. I'm getting the data from HWinfo64. (CPU+SOC power)

pcpartpicker.com/list/BMrT7W

What PSU should I get for this setup? How much Watt should I buy?

It'll work, but 60FPS might be pushing it in some games.
>t. 6350 owner

650 at most

What can we expect from CES and why exactly should we hold off on buying until then? I was about to drop around 18 on parts

>Dual rank is going to be harder on the controller at higher frequency, especially if it's hynix or micron RAM
That's what I figured. It's corsair so probably hynix. For what it's worth there's someone on the PCPP page that has a ryzen build and says it works.

Maybe I'll just go ATX and avoid this and deal with having a big ugly case on my desk.

pcpartpicker.com/product/9nmxFT/seasonic-prime-ultra-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550gd2

Can’t figure out how to mount pic related which came with my i7 3770K, so im just using my old i5 3470’s heatsink and I’m shooting up to like 90 C.

Attached: E205B061-C3E4-4524-B394-36D5D0BA6F81.jpg (4032x3024, 2.68M)

EVGA's G3 850 is way overkill but it's also on sale
Also, get the dark rock pro 4 if you can for better overclocking
pcpartpicker.com/list/g9QtdX

It's just push-pins. It should mount in exactly the same way as the 3470 heatsink.

Way overpriced, you could buy two better ones for that much
It pops in
Not sure why you would be using that on a housefire chip though

So I now have 24GB of RAM which is a bit overkill.
How do I effectively create a ramdisk for games and programs?

>better quality from intel
Oxymoron.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHEN ARE THEY GONNA GIVE US NEW 1440P 144HZ IPS MONITORS

Download RAMdisk???

Whenever another company is able to make the panels

If I wanted to make a straight up ramdisk I already have imdisk and can do that just fine.
I'm more so asking about intelligent file management.

So the ramdisk part isn't the problem, it's the populating it part that I'm drawing a blank on.

Attached: firefox_2019-01-03_16-42-14.png (837x407, 23K)

Are you saying my new i7 is too much or too little for that fan?

I bought $300 worth of RAM that doesn't work in my computer.

Stock coolers are notorious for struggling to do a good job at stock
It's "fine" if you hate to overclock, I guess, but the 3770k temps are awful since that's their first gen of using toothpaste TIM

>emulate Nintendo stuff
What kind of Nintendo stuff?

get faster ram
yuzu, the switch emulator, is still single core performance reliant but as soon as that changes you'll be fine (and are still fine now since it's slow on intel)

pcpartpicker.com/list/CDg2LJ

Is this a good build for gaming?

sorry deleted my post because I had slow Ram.

I want to emulate Botw and Wii-U plus Switch titles

>poozen
>good for gaming
pick one

pcpartpicker.com/list/hhc2LJ

Would this be a better option? I don't know if it makes a huge difference

Get an R5 2600 instead. The 2700x is barely better in gaming but costs twice as much. 2700 is for workstation

RAM is overpriced for the speed, motherboard should be X470, PSU should be changed out for a more cost effective option
Get a used 1080 Ti while you still can, if possible
pcpartpicker.com/list/F8N3XP
No he's just being retarded
Also a 212 does not cool high TDP all that well
The wraith is good because it's free, but for Intel's unlocked CPUs you're already paying more to overclock so buying a weak cooler is kicking yourself in the balls
That's also pretty cheap for Z390, and you get what you pay for (fewer phases most likely)

Good mobo and ram to pair with 3700x and rx 3080?

Doesn't exist yet
RAM should be B-die though

>Good mobo and ram to pair with 3700x and rx 3080?
Just wait for the next series of movie that'll match the new series

Are prebuilt gaming PCs a good place to start if I don't trust myself to build a whole PC from scratch? Obviously I'll upgrade it myself in the future, but I want to buy something that'll last me awhile for right now. I've been looking at the Corsair Vengeance and it looks pretty good, but I don't have extensive knowledge with computers. From what I can tell, building this myself would come to nearly the same price for what they're selling prebuilt for with about $160 something for labor I guess.

Attached: -CS-9030001-NA-Gallery-VENGEANCE-PC-10.png (1200x1200, 1.53M)

If you can hammer a nail you can build a PC
It's probably harder to take a motherboard out than put one in, anyway, so you aren't gaining much

2500k and 6950 on my old 2011 rig, everything still runs but I want to freshen it up, thinking of just OCing the shit out of the sandy bridge and buying a replacement GPU, have that all hold me over for a few years before replacing it all.
How dumb of a plan is this, and what GPU should I get? Around $300-$400 max

A used 1080 should last you a couple years
If you want to buy new, maybe a vega 64 but it's not the best value

Always check the compability list on your mobo's support page.

Link what configs you are considering to buy and we'll give some input.

You always pay a mark up in price for assembly and stuff or you'll get gimped quality in the parts with prebuilts, otherwise they aren't so bad. Just don't fail for the shiny rgb meme or watercooling stuff, if you dont want to touch a screwdriver now you cant do it later.

RX 580 have good value now days. Otherwise I'd consider a used GTX1070 or GTX1080 since they have dropped considerably due to RTX release and the mining crash (miner cards should only be bought at a bargain), your CPU will bottleneck them but at least you wont need to upgrade the GPU in your next system update.

And yeah do OC that 2500k, it still works good in some modern titles but be prepared for an upgrade once you hit the wall in a new game.

Attached: 1544366293859.png (928x960, 519K)

Yeah what the other guy said they'll put gimp parts on what they don't list. Specifically
I got a ore-built cause I didn't really know what's up. But now I know quite a bit from coming to /pcbg/ and checking some YouTube video. You can learn quite a bit in a short time.
But anyways for my ore-built the popped in some no name psu brand and ram.
Worked fine enough for about a year then the ram died so I had to get a new one. Then a few more months and the PSU decides to die. Just my luck though.
But it's is honestly better to build one yourself but a prebuilt is fine to get started with. Kinda like a Yu-Gi-Oh starter pack if you will

2500k is reaching its limit.
My i5-4400 is pretty close to yours and I can see it having to turn shit down in the next two years.
Also you could bottlenecks even a 1060 hey. Keep that in mind

>Configs
The specs for it? user you gotta understand I'm going in extremely blind here. The most demanding thing I'll ask of it is PS2 emulation, looking at the actual PC games I want, this'll cover it in spades. All of the parts are either from Corsair themselves or from a reputable place. I admit I'm guilty of falling for the RGB light show already.
This is the product page for it, in any case.
corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-PCs/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-5180-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9030001-NA

Attached: Specs.png (557x323, 15K)

>RAM should be B-die though
Is this some kind of hang-up from the 1st gen ryzens? Cause for the current generation, almost any RAM will run at the designated speed without paying extra for a minimal performance increase with the B-die.

How can I know if it’s been used for mining? I see some 1089s going for like $200 on eBay, that sounds far too good to be true

Ryzen still benefits a lot from higher frequency; B-die is the best way to get it
Zen 2 having more cores will likely increase the value of higher infinity fabric bandwidth

Which motherboards? My Rampage 4 Extreme did do it when I had an NH-D14 fitted, and apparently it was quite common on the Sandy/Ivybridge era ROG boards. Apparently what happens is larger fans are a touch slower to spin up once activated on boot sequence, and the bios fan speed detector triggers before the fan fully speeds up. Fan still functions normally and doesn't really have any adverse effects other than forcing you to "press F1 to go to bios" and just adding another step to your boot process.
After putting up with this for a few years, I ended up changing a setting in bios which from memory was just setting the CPU fan speed to a lower minimum which fixed the problem. These days that particular fan speed header just controls the PWM speed control for a DDC pump.

Thanks guys. I went for a 600W PSU from be quiet considering my tight budget and the fact that I live in fucking Germany with different prizes and all. You think 80+ Silver is good enough? Oh and I already ordered all the parts now. Here's the full setup:

pcpartpicker.com/list/dGmYBb

Is this good enough for my first build?

>9700k with rtx 2070
Yikes

If you want a budget Z390 to put a 9700k on, get an Asrock Extreme 4. Don't put an i7 on a shitbox Gigabyte with 4 fake phases.

I had a pair of 4G sticks installed, just bought and installed a pair of 8G sticks in primary, moved my 4G to secondary. Turned on XMP and booted memtest86, currently on the hammer test with 0 errors. Anything else I could do to make sure they're functioning properly together?

>How can I know if it’s been used for mining?
you can't but you have warning signs. the biggest one is listings with more than 1 card available. try to find listings with only 1 available and/or the seller specifically mentions it was a personal card for gaming. even then he could be lying but that's part of the risk.
here's some more info:
youtu.be/g1Yp6pQRdns?t=697

I'm working on my first pc build and not sure what mother board to get.

Currently looking at an i7-9700k with an rtx 2080. 2 gb sticks of ram 3200, 750w 80+ gold psu.

I'm looking at this motherboard
pcpartpicker.com/product/CdPKHx/gigabyte-z390-gaming-x-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-gaming-x
But it only lists slower ram speeds, while other sites seem to say it's possible to run 3200

I see this one in a few of the same builds and it looks good as well, is cheaper and actually lists the 3200 ram speed compatibility pcpartpicker.com/product/4srmP6/asrock-z390-pro4-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-pro4

I want something that has 4 ram slots, and the chance to upgrade to an nvme/m.2 (?) drive, whatever the faster ssd type is that slots directly into the mobo. Here is my most recent build list, only thing that isn't accurate is it lists a 2070 instead of 2080.
pcpartpicker.com/list/LvJPD2

Attached: windows 8 chan.jpg (1920x1080, 159K)