Golang

Hi guys. What are your thoughts about Go? I'm thinking of learning it as my first serious programming language (I have some programming knowledge, but never learned anything deeply). Or maybe it's better learn something more "traditional" like Ruby?

Attached: go.png (607x318, 17K)

bump

> go
> serious
kys

What's wrong with Go?

Attached: D.jpg (460x460, 30K)

I like it. It's similar to other languages in the C family so your knowledge should easily translate to a lot of other languages. I suggest learning C after you get used to Go.

lol no generics

Im doing the same OP, It seems great so far.

>meme, the language

Oh, cool. It's your first language?

When I read about D I spotted a lot of similarities to Go, as if someone ripped off D when designing Go.

D tries hard to be as close to C++ possible hence the name D, the fact that you think D is like Go is why I never bother posting in these brainlet threads

Here's a real answer
- Easy to pick up
- Web performant
- Readable
-No frills, you hit feature walls unlike some more complex languages
-Opinionated, some people like this some people don't
- Easy to use concurrency if you do it right
- Great networking standard library

The package management is retarded
the GOPATH is retarded
lol no generics

but golang is actually okay

Also, go2 is trying to solve some issue some people have

- Go now has a dependency management system of sorts so gopath is no longer needed
- Proposals for generics and improved error handling, among others.

/thread

OO is wrong, OO has held back programming for over 30 years now. Go decouples functions from data.

anyone who says that Go lacks generics is a shill or too stupid to use Go. Go will never have generics because its a data oriented language which does not tie methods to data

It's a dumbed down langauge, the java of our time, it's a language for project leaders not coders, you should feel insulted.

IMO, I wouldn't recommend Go as a "first" language. I do like it, though.
C/C++/Javascript/Python are better imo

Realistically, you should look at languages as "tools" to solving a problem. What do you want to create OP? Then pick the best language that will help you create whatever you want.

> better learn something more "traditional" like Ruby?
lol no

Please never use 'Go' and 'serious' in the same sentence.
Go learn C# if you want a serious first language.

What u did there
I sees it