/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: lenyos.webm (1280x720, 722K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shellcheck.net/
medium.com/factory-mind/regex-tutorial-a-simple-cheatsheet-by-examples-649dc1c3f285
regex101.com/
zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-is-back-in-charge-of-linux/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for use a source based distro, Gentoo or something else

Attached: HLp8z11.jpg (604x453, 32K)

GNU/Zircon when?

Who's the guy in the video?

Setup is pic related. OS is ubuntu 18.04lts, machine is gpd pocket 2. I have it set up this way so i can plug headphones into it, put it in my pocket, and use it as an mp3 player when i'm taking walks without draining the battery much compared to having a whole DE running just to listen to music. (this is obviously not the only thing i ever use the machine for, just something it would be nice to be able to do)

At first the music would stop with the lid closed which obviously wasn't going to work out since I need the lid closed to fit it in my pants pocket. I found a solution online: adding HandleLidSwitch=ignore to /etc/systemd/logind.conf.

This fixed the music stopping, but created another problem: now whenever I open the lid back up, the screen is black, and won't come back on no matter what I do unless I reboot or start gdm. Either one of which would defeat the purpose of my setup. I'd to be able to take the machine back out of my pocket and fuck around on the tmux setup while I'm out walking, because that way, I can change tracks and/or adjust volume. I can't do that very well if I can't see shit. I mean I COULD, since the machine still responds to keyboard and trackpad input in this state, but it'd be pretty hit or miss.

I searched for a solution online again and tried setting IgnoreLid=true in /etc/UPower/UPower.conf. This accomplished nothing.

I also tried looking through the bios to see if there were any hardware options there. However, I found nothing of the sort -- just boot order and security options. There's also a built-in EFI shell, but I don't know how to use it or whether it's worth poking around in. I thought about changing kernel parameters passed by grub as well, but I wouldn't know what to change or where to even begin finding out. Current kernel parameters are "fbcon=rotate:1" because the way they designed the screen is fucking retarded.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this ?

Attached: _IMG_000000_000000-1.jpg (3024x4032, 1.69M)

He is Colonel Linus Matthew Poettering, and he's the founder of the GNU foundation and creator of the systemd operating system.

Post what you want to extract.

Trying to install fblogo on gentoo so I can change the bootup logo.

Emerge tells me that it needs the following keyword changes:
>=media-gfx/fblogo-0.5.2 ~amd64

Make /etc/portage/package.use/ file for it, but when I try to emerge it acts like it's not even there and gives me the same "The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed..."

What do? I was even desperate enough to try the --autounmask-write, but same thing. This is the first time this kind of thing has happened to me.

Fuck me, I was so into UMPCs in the early 2ks, then people just stopped making them. Wish I hadn't missed the indiegogo on this thing.

As to your question, maybe try adding consoleblank=0 to the kernel cmdline?

Is sed, awk, or head the best for their purpose?
> t. never used any of them but now have to learn one on the spot

Keyword changes go under /etc/portage/package.keywords
It's the same syntax as in package.use, just a different location.

>wow
I am dumb. Thanks mate.

Attached: retard.jpg (773x935, 47K)

Why do parts of windows stick to this one section of the screen and only this one section of screen? It goes away when I log out and back in and then comes back, I don't know what triggers it.
XFCE btw

Attached: whatis.png (1920x1080, 380K)

Also it only appears on one workspace but if I move a window to that spot on the other workspace it does the same thing

Nope, no dice. Now what happens instead is that closing the lid turns off the display and also makes it stop responding to keyboard input.

Yeah it's a pretty nice little machine, fits in your pocket, battery lasts all day if you use it responsibly, and the optical trackpad and limited keyboard don't feel as weird as you'd think they would. Would definitely recommend even at its post-indiegogo price mark of ~$800. The specs aren't worth that much by a long shot, but what is worth that much is the opportunity that owning a daily driver this portable can create: namely you don't have to sit on your ass indoors all day just to indulge your neet hobbies.

(cont from )
The failure to respond to keyboard input was a fluke. It seems using consoleblank=0 actually made no difference at all.

It depends on what you're trying to do.

whats a good distro to run on a 4gb x200?

It's called Xfce.

Source Mage GNU/Linux

I did it, Jow Forums. I have never written a shell script in my life but I have now written an HDMI toggle script for my Arch machine. Rate please.

#!/bin/bash

## Enable/Disable HDMI video display, move mouse below bottom of screen to access
xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto --below eDP1

## Check xrandr to see if HDMI display is connected
xrandr | while read displays; do
echo $displays | cut '-d ' -f2 >> ./hdmistatec
done

##Pull line 22 (the HDMI connection status) from the temporary hdmistate file)
outputState=$(awk NR==22 ./hdmistatec)
echo $outputState

if [ "$outputState" = "connected" ]
then

## If HDMI is connected, moves all audio streams to HDMI
pactl list short sink-inputs | while read dennis; do
streamId=$(echo $dennis | cut '-d ' -f1)
pactl move-sink-input "$streamId" "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo"
done

else

## if HDMI is disconnected, sends all audio streams back to computer speakers

pactl list short sink-inputs | while read freon; do
streamId=$(echo $freon | cut '-d ' -f1)
pactl move-sink-input "$streamId" "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo"
done
fi

## deletes the temporary file
rm ./hdmistatec

This is what I was trying to do.

who gives a fuck

Congrats

not him but
>Source Mage GNU/Linux
>4gb
are u an absolute madlad

any distro that isn't source based but also doesn't have much bloat. do not fall for the source based meme, source based distros are a great learning experience, highly customizable, and completely free of any chance of bloat or botnet, but you need a high performance computer with a lot of storage space if you want to be able to install anything comfortably on them. examples of good distros for your use case would be arch, debian minimal, dsl, puppy.

What gui file manager has image previews as folder icons. A preview of the images within the fodler, not file preview, folder previes, the icon.

I might understand you wrong, but I think Dolphin would be fine for that.

What did AMD mean by this?

Attached: kernel-4.20-RX570-what-did-amd-mean-by-this.jpg (2701x1958, 1.36M)

After like 5gb of kde deps... it fails to even open. With no verbose switch to see whats happening. Gunna need something else...

ok thanks, I think Ill go for debian minimal

>only fiddled with Linux a few times in the past, easymode distros like Mint to get a laptop up and running without Windows installs and tweaking
>get new machine, decide to try something a bit more in depth
>compiling from source is still out of my league, decide to try Arch, like the idea of a largely minimal install due to all the crud most other distros come with that I end up not using or liking
>follow tutorial, get it installed, troubleshoot a few minor things like non working audio
>learning about package managers and user repositories
>pacman is apparently powerful but people don't like it because it's less intuitive, never used any of this before anyway but pacman actually feels really slick and coherent to me
>haven't even gotten the AUR set up yet
Am I fated to become a neckbeard? Should I go back to Lubuntu and save myself now?

how come you post these error messages so often? is having amd really that bad?

How do i patch out or boot parameter out all the spectre/meltdown patches from the kernel to get rid of this performance hit on lower hardware?
The device will never be connected to the internet.

nah just slam on the fucking pedal and just skip to gentoo. I wish I did earlier. Arch was fun for a couple years but portage is sick.

I guess it's because I test kernels newer than the 4.18.20 kernel I am using right now and they are all bad. Every single 4.19.x kernel and now also 4.20. I was hoping 4.20 wouldn't just crash but they've clearly not fixed it.

This error is something I get if I turn the monitors off and turn them on again (!). I suspect it's some race condition where the same memory is used when 3 monitors are turned on at the same time. I have a 3x4k monitor setup.

And quite frankly, generally yes AMD's amdgpu is problematic and buggy.

shellcheck.net/

>arch
You were doing great until this

Turns out it was steam, when I exit steam it doesn't happen anymore. And I run the beta

Linux from Scratch as a semi-noob in Linux.
Any advice?

>have a 3x4k monitor setup.
No amd gfx card can support this setup.

Having filenames of the following structure:
aaa_01-01
bbb_01-01
..all the way to..
aaa_99-99
bbb_99-99

How can I rename a file from aaa_xx_yy to type1_xx_yy? And ofc type2_xx_yy for the others.

Basically keeping the last 6 characters in place but changing the prefix.

Attached: Gigi-Becalis-art-008.jpg (460x276, 38K)

sed
awk
gprename(easier gui)

Try to prepare a list of packages beforehand or else be ready to google quite a few packages when things go wrong.

I don't know regex

Use the last option then

>sudo apt install rename
>rename -n 's/^aaa/type1/' *
Changes aaa type1

>rename -n 's/(\d{2})-(\d{2})/$1_$2/' *
If you also want to change the - between the numbers to a _.

-n = dry mode remove it if it's what you want.

where can I learn this stuff?
Is it JUST regex?

Google is your friend. Look up codeacademy, for one. Or check your local library for some books on perl, etc.

Anyone have the .xresources for URXVT to have the same keybinds as xterm?

Yes it's only regex.

Just read the basics like medium.com/factory-mind/regex-tutorial-a-simple-cheatsheet-by-examples-649dc1c3f285 and then start with regex101.com/ there you see everything in real time with explanations. Put your file names into the test string / text filed and use the regex (\d{2})-(\d{2}) and there you get an explanation. $1 and 2 are just the content of the capture groups.

The RX570 supports it just fine. It's got 3 DP connectors and 8 GB RAM. If you mean running AAA fps games on all three monitors at the same time then sure, that's a problem. It's fine for desktop use and games like CS-GO and Crush Crush.

Attached: neofetch-taeyeon-kde.jpg (3852x2160, 900K)

This is driving me insane.
I just got a new AMD video card and am using the open source amdgpu driver, and I cannot get it to disable vsync.
I've set vblank_mode=0 and it only works on 1 game (and glxgears), everything still has vsync forced on (yes it's disabled in the games settings).
I also tried creating a xorg.conf and setting SwapbuffersWait off but it seems to make no difference.

What am I doing wrong? And seriously whoever fucking invented vsync should be shot. Everything in FPS games feels like moving through molasses when it's on. Please tell me somebody knows how to disable this (especially in steam games)

why does no one talk about port closing

>Is it JUST regex?
No lol. There are 2 or 3 types of regex commonly used on GNU systems... and shell patterns are completely different... and bash supports extended matching that is kinda like regex with different syntax... but some bash builtins have some regex support.

So is gentoo harder than arch to install and customize, im a dofferent user with no linux or computer know how. Unironically is it a good idea to install this to learn about loonix. On a side not I have time comsuming uni courses and therefore cant spend all day on this

Elaborate, are you referring to closing I/O ports when you finish streaming from/to them, closing network ports when you no longer need to allow remote access through them, what kind of ports exactly and why?

making my kernerl took 1 minute, that I needed initramdfs and it's taking too much

I'm using luks and then I got that I need --lvm to have the keyboard, so...

any idea why is it so slow?

Just networking ports?
I have a very minimal gnu/linux setup and i want to get into OS security. I recently learned about networking ports and firewall.

I just want to close all the ports expect for the http and https ports.

Attached: 1546240194027.png (1008x756, 189K)

What the fuck did i just read?

I mean I unironically find the install process for gentoo easier (though it takes longer to install everything). The AUR for arch was awesome and kind of miss it desu. But I haven't found anything that I wanted that wasn't in the gentoo repos. USE flags and stuff for emerge/portage were intimating at first, but it's dead simple and really useful.

It's not for everyone. If you ever have some down time at uni, or have a second device you can mess around on check it out.

yes, took 1 minute to make my kernel (-j12)

While i doubt that, im refering to literally everything else you mouth vomited in to this post

how do I tell genkernel to use multiple jobs when using make?

best way to dual boot in 2019 ?

GPU passthrough

You,again, go away AA guy, seriously stop comming here no one cares and your "issue" dosetn exist.

>Google is your friend

Attached: 1536253617699.jpg (1024x1024, 141K)

Don't.

>found zstd
>actually works
The zuck is on to something

real 1m...

Attached: IMG_20190103_224844_729__01.jpg (720x965, 429K)

Ports that aren't in use are closed, bruh

How the fuck do i use ufw?

how do u know that

Logic?

vague

is it normal for gnomes animatios to be slow on a laptop with 8GB of RAM and a quad core cpu

No.

friendly reminder to donate to freetype.org

it happens to be the best de

>#!/bin/bash
use dash

couldn't you just use lxrandr?

>5gb
jizus cryst it this the power of debian?

Lubuntu sucks ass, first they hype Qt now they want to drop 32 bit
protip LXDE is not dead and LXQt is not better either

and the distro makes no sense as they bundle shit from Xfce
so you might as well use Xubuntu which happens to be better anyway

>is gentoo harder than arch to install
it's literally the same save for the compiling

use pre older kernel

>no verbose switch to see whats happening
strace is a universal verbose flag

Which kernel?

gnu core utilities

we only support st

>What am I doing wrong?
you're using a crappy vblank which doesn't work

/etc/X11/20-radeon.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "Radeon"
Driver "radeon"
Option "TearFree" "off"
EndSection

something like that

if it's on by default, what you could do is have another user for gaymes and do
startx -- -config 20-radeon.conf

ignore i shouldn't have written that

I miss redpilled Linus.

I wonder how they got to him. I only heard that people contacted him somehow about how butthurt they were and it somehow affected him. But is there some record of it? Was it public or did people talk to him in person or something?
Kind of hard to believe really.

the scary part is the duress code when he went away

Now you're just fucking with me

I'd rather read RELEVENT specific information then hunting down ids

I was using arandr but I wanted a toggle script that I could bind to a key.

I feel like any personal desire he had was to be a more effective communicator, if he's being more PC nowadays it's probably a reluctant adherence to keep people who care about that sort of thing from throwing tantrums.

That would only make sense if he stayed on board. Are you saying he's back (or coming back)?
If he's still not contributing then what good does it do him?

I'm fairly confident he was on hiatus and he's back in charge now.
zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-is-back-in-charge-of-linux/
That's the second result in duckduckgo, maybe it will shed more light.
> October 22 2018
That's as current as I am on the issue.

How can i turn local files loaded in a browser so that i can click them
I treid variosu "linikify: extensions but they dont work on local files

I haven't see much talked about FreeType anywhere, not even a guide about installing fonts with only FreeType.