When was the last time you defragmented a drive

When was the last time you defragmented a drive

Attached: defragging.gif (450x330, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=ssd fragmentation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

linuxs doesnt need it and windblows does it on the background now. but i used to do it a lot before i decided to create 1 partition per program

>scheduled optimization
>ON
>frequency: weekly

When I didn't use an SSD, so like 7 years ago

Windows 10 automatically defrags my SSD in the background, extending its life.

This. Defragging is obsolete

SSDs can get fragmented and must be defragmented. Your OS most likely does it in the background for you.

>SSD can get fragmented
True, but you shouldn't defragment them. Please troll elsewhere.

google.com/search?q=ssd fragmentation

I have a Btrfs drive with autodefrag turned on, does that count?

Can you read? Already said that SSD can get fragmented, BUT you shouldn't defrag them. Last (You) you get from me. You're either retarded or a troll.

10 years or more.

There was something soothing about watching all those little bars turn to green and feeling the difference was also just as satisfying

blue*

I still have a screenshot of me doing that from fucking 2003.

Attached: bad hdd 2.png (1024x768, 26K)

just a couple days ago actually, didn't do it for a couple years before that, fragmentation after deleting 30% of files was at 67% or something and accessing shit on the driver felt sluggish. Fixed that shit right up yo.

>winmx
Ugh! right in the childhood
I remember shit talking on their chat rooms for a large portion of my teenage years

>using Wangblows

9 years

i havent had a spin drive since 2010

I defragged my 850pro ssd the other day.

Why? Because it can take it.

Never. Vista and 8.1 but from what I've read this hasn't been a issue since win2k.

Not that user, but why shouldn't you?

The limited number of times you can write to each cell. After 100,000 writes to a cell (more or less depending on quality), it's dead, and eventually all the cells will die. Normal use of an SSD, even for something like an operating system, will not make much of a difference and it should have as long a usable life as a traditional hard drive, but some things you should avoid are swapping, virtual memory, and defragging. These are murder on the SSD because they make a lot of writes to it. Defragging is totally unnecessary because the whole point of defragging was to keep the pieces of a file all in one place so the disk didn't have to spin and position its head to get the pieces. With no moving parts, a single file could be in several different places all over the SSD, and it makes no difference.