What would need to happen in order to make people stop using Discord and go back to Mumble/TeamSpeak/Ventrilo?

What would need to happen in order to make people stop using Discord and go back to Mumble/TeamSpeak/Ventrilo?

Attached: malware.png (229x256, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cancel.fm/ripcord/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Discord replace Skype, not mumble/teamSpeak/Ventrilo.

They throw in chat filters.

you live streaming yourself blowing your head with a shotgun

Massive "sharing" of scrambled/encrypted cheese pizza so it cant be auto-flagged but still serves as free content hosting.

Nothing because all those others you listed are voice chat only

we dont eventually it will kill itself

Attached: 1518611415272.png (237x374, 109K)

they're not the same thing

Make a better product.

why are you obsessed with a program you dont use

It's impossible.
The botnet has offered convenience.
Open source developers cannot be bothered doing porper UX.

Join us user, or soon you'll not have any friends left over to use your archaic platforms.

Normies don't give a shit about privacy so never

Are there any libre Discord clients?

Attached: cute.gif (128x128, 10K)

this
discord is irc with voice chat
those programs are just voice chat

Something I've been thinking about for 4 or so years...

Ventrilo lost out period because they didn't develop shit, I lobbied on their forums for features (which they implemented,) and then they pumped out the load of shit they call "Ventrilo Pro." I got pissed and was shadowbanned for recommending Mumble afterwards (I wish they would just open source it.)

Teamspeak isn't bad, but it seems unnecessarily tied into stuff like Derpwolf of whatever the fuck they called it. They also have condescending support on their forums, and anything it can do, Mumble does better.

Personally, I use Mumble - but - Discord isn't going anywhere. It's easy, has community based features (like a forum,) and you can use it partially in a browser.

The only alternative I see getting adopted would be another WebRTC based server/client system you setup yourself like Vent/TS/Mumble, but no one has done that yet. Ironically, people actually are developing some WebRTC frontends for Murmur/Mumble.

I don't get why people complain about the UX of FOSS software. Modern botnet UX is complete and utter shit, made by people who apparently hate the very concept of information density. A lot of free software is better precisely because it hasn't bothered following what UX people say ought to be done.

Except GNOME, those shitheads drank the UX kool-aid and everyone hates them for it

>Ventrilo

ah yes, the vanilla WoW days

kill all the zoomers

Fyi, for reference, THIS IS WHAT VENTRILO IS NOW - they still have the terrible serverside voice processing lag which Teamspeak and Mumble don't.

On top of that, they got rid of private/individual servers.

Attached: example1.png (600x600, 286K)

Mass bannings
The leftist furfags being forced by other companies to shut down their own child grooming servers

You can be in multiple discord servers simultaneously but you can't do that for the other programs

It's a slow and buggy electron app.

The literal only reason people use it ( hell, i even pay for it ) is because it's comfy / logically laid out.

Fuck information density.

>comfy
This is a trick that originated at facebook in order to get you addicted to the app to the point where you can't stomach the idea of leaving. Make no mistake, modern UX design is not about anything else. Peak UI efficiency was in the mid 90s, everything since then has been psychological manipulation tactics.

Their friends not using discord
regular people don't care about anything else

because everyone in my circles have stopped using better programs in favor of this awful one and people are being forced into using it

Matrix is better

Riot.im

Your shitty FOSS alternative will never even come close to having the same shitposting capabilities as Discord NITRO users.

Tried to get friend into it, was told it's too laggy

What, it's less than 2ms delay on my server

on your own server it could be, but people want to use more public servers as well

You're wrong. Discord replaced mumble/teamspeak/ventrilo. It was primarily meant to replace those. Skype is too much of a normal fest that Discord wont be touched by most of the skype users.

suxnet levels of botnet fuckery on each users machine mining buttcoins or something.

Associate Discord with the alt-right, homo haters and small dicked women haters.

>You're wrong. Discord replaced mumble/teamspeak/ventrilo. It was primarily meant to replace those. Skype is too much of a normal fest that Discord wont be touched by most of the skype users.

People who hated using skype have moved onto discord.

Mumble users will always be mumble users, and OG. The rest were all clowns and went to Discord.

Having to pay $10/m for dedicated mumble/vent/teamspeak server was real nice wasn't it?

How do you get people to stop using fb, twitter, instagram and go back to myspace?

Discord is just an Electron app running on top of the Twilio API

Well, at least you weren't spied on or were considered the service like you are on Discord. That, and you could select an individual server location that yielded the best ping.

Without a doubt, Discord will continue to be the choice for those who just want a casual line of communication, no issue with that.

dont forget rocket chat

riot.im is FOSS and better.

Why do you want to manipulate people to use the software you deem acceptable?

Why does discord do the same?

Free servers and a big enough scandal to scare away the normies who don't care about privacy.

it doesnt

Is Kik still being used?

Attached: 31D100B9-E9C4-4E14-A3B7-38F6AACCA1FF.png (512x512, 152K)

>why does a maker of software want people to use their software

This. All the fucking way. I'm a Zoomer and I can't stand the garbage that's being said on discord by other people. I think the reason it's so bad is the result of making Discord easily accessible to normalfags and 8 year olds to the point that you're no longer required to have basic computer literacy to communicate to people on the internet.

TeamSpeak, Mumble, and Ventrilo all have one thing in common that keeps normalfags deterred from touching the client, an old, but great user interface which they hate, "Muh circles" , "Muh modern design" and the fact that you need to follow basic instructions of how to setup a server on the client scares the shit out of them.

Attached: discord pedestrian.png (422x282, 327K)

only by literal faggot for cyber

>comfy/logically laid out
Useless whitespace and 3x line spacing is anything but that. 90s UI design was peak efficiency, a 80x25 fullscreen VGA terminal displays more text than a fullscreen discord chat window on a 1080p display with 1:1 pixel mapping.

I fucking hate zoomers and I fucking hate people who use Discord

Literally wrong. All my friends used to use teamspeak and now none of them do. It's totally a replacement for those things.

I dont like Facebook or Discord, but I need them tp je easily accessible.

What is the best course of action? Should I isolate discord in a VM?

Use the fucking website.

Being in multiple channels is a fair complaint, but you're still only connecting to one server (cluster?) even if it presents as multiple guilds

Can I connect to discord through a 3rd party client?
I refuse to install their trash and use the browser version.

I'm positive pedofucks will eventually ruin discord.

take a look at ripcord
cancel.fm/ripcord/

FOSS btfo

You can choose the server location too, on discord

>no source code
>will eventually become paid software
Any libre alternatives?

Is there anything out there that's like skype used to be?

Calls - im - p2p file sharing - no or little ads - no fucking updates every 2 days

Skype was all I ever needed, but then they filled it with ads, forced updates, removed p2p file transfers, replacing with uploading to their server and a 300mb limit (discord is even worse), made it the ugly facebook talk bubble bullshit it is today, with next to no options. WHAT THE FUCK.

Please, I just want skype 5.5.

Attached: It-hurts-to-live-874052.png (500x522, 85K)

IRC is updated to support voice, clients updated to embed media
Or: another slack ripoff comes along but is libre and not a botnet

Once one of those two competitors exist, people's friends make the switch and bring their friends along with

Whitespace is useful though. I prefer people's messages to be spaced out so my fuckawful eyesight and perception can still easily section off information; besides, most messages are a sentence or two in length, and I don't need the program to competently display a full paragraph of text. The reason "old" UI was information-dense is precisely because of the limitations in old display technology; don't put the cart before the horse.

not that I know of, and it won't become fully paid, just nagware

Line.

I don't know about file sharing, though. I can share webms easily.

>paying for software that gets you banned
disgusting
there have been libre clients but people stopped developing them for this reason

>there have been libre clients
Which ones?

I'll look it up.

In the old versions of skype, you could just send a 13gb file without thinking twice.

not hosting your own server. lol why are you on this board?

>new thing bad

libpurple-discord and a few others that i forget, look on github for them. all of them are buggy and not really worth promoting because discord will just change the API and ban you

>dark theme and botnet good

>discord will just change the API and ban you
I don't give a shit.
Some retards decided to upload the entire Nintendo Switch ROM collection on Discord for some reason, so I just wanted muh free games.
Besides, what's stopping me from making a new account?

then why do you even care, bing bing wahoo shit roms are not libre software

Because at least my babby gaem doesn't have a keylogger, camera or microphone to record me.

>it's okay when companies do it!
the absolute state of /v/

they will have all those things if you let them
>/v/
gtfo

>discord thread
>retards defending it unironically
Half the thread is /v/, dumbass, that was the point.

don't encourage them