At what age did you grow out of Linux, Jow Forums?

At what age did you grow out of Linux, Jow Forums?

Attached: tKuWMSz.jpg (728x825, 51K)

Dunno lol

reminder.

Attached: MS professional.png (1890x1630, 448K)

At what age do you stop obsessing with prepubescent anime girls?

>touhou
stopped giving a shit right there

>prepubescent

Pedophile.

Seething.

I've used it for half a year now and I already feel like I'm growing out of it.

Recent updates are making it worse by slowing it down, and it's impossible to find a quick-install distro without systemd that isn't shit. Rather, a lot of them are great, but they fail on you when you need to do actual work. I'm thinking Slackware or Gentoo might be my last chance, after I saw the post related to this pic.

Might as well use Windows 10 LTSC and save a lot of time and effort, since we're all getting spied on anyways through the new Linux kernel updates, manageability engine, systemd, and internet service providers. Fuck, even anything I say here is getting collected by Google.

Attached: 201901011546375252.png (1366x768, 814K)

Have you tried Void? It's poettering-less that just werks

In a few months from now when Hurd releases

I grew out of windows in 16 years.

When something better comes up, so at the moment it seems like never.

I've been using it for 5 years and got tired of fucking with all of the niggling little issues. I've tried just about every DE out there and they're all shitty in their own way, and I got tired of the endless configuration of WMs. I just don't have the time anymore.

I'm using Win10 on my desktop now, and it's a putrid experience, but I don't have particularly demanding requirements anyway, and at least things generally work (I don't find myself having to tweak things constantly) and I never have to worry about software compatibility (namely, games--gpu passthrough worked well but was clunky, Wine+DXVK/Proton is very promising but still kind of janky, and most native Linux ports are indie garbage and/or just outright fucking broken). I still keep Linux around on my laptop for fucking around.

Yes I did, and I loved it but it's just not good for school. All of my teachers want me to use proprietary shit. What pushed me away from Void though was the lack of 64-bit wine, and strange, undocumented errors during java development. I had to install debian to finish the semester. I wanted to use Devuan but it was way too slow with SysV and OpenRC, and there was no option for Runit in the installer.

Attached: 1527893338850.png (2518x1024, 166K)

The fuck are your teachers asking you to use?

I could be wrong with 'proprietary' since I don't feel like checking all the licenses, but all these programs ran really, really slow on my ThinkPad in comparison to the fos-software that I normally use.
>Eclipse
>Maven
>Android Studio
>Postman (used curl instead since it didn't work)
>SceneBuilder
>Windows (to connect to school network. I used a usb to a school computer for this)
>Kali Linux
>VirtualBox
>Cloud services like Box and Google Drive
>Oracle Java
Biggest obstacle this past semester for me was Oracle's Java, Eclipse, and Maven. I wrote pretty good code but 50% of my errors were because of Eclipse IDE and 40% were from Void Linux.

I had openjdk and I tried to install Oracle jdk to replace it, but it broke anything java related for Void, and I couldn't uninstall it because of some weird error which there was no documentation for. Wish there'd be a way to do enterprise java development on void with vim without weird OS and IDE errors.

Attached: c3b203e929cd462fdd57e6400cbdc8c8.jpg (500x500, 42K)

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Attached: beard_god.jpg (507x800, 80K)

install gantoo

Attached: 2019-01-04-1546584822.png (1366x768, 497K)

test

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

18 y.o
25 y.o grow out mac
Now Windows race master.

grown into it due to work, productivity has skyrocketed compared to windows.

Never. If you're a retard that spends most of his time trying retarded shit and breaking everything, then you may need to grow out of Linux. But if you're just like me and use Linux to actually be productive (I'm not even taking about programming), it will always be better than Windows. Maybe it won't replace them for some tasks, because making cross-platform programs is easier than what (((they))) want you to think and yet (((they))) refuse, but you can dual-boot or make a VM and use them when you can't use Linux

>childish tantrum
I like how often this kind tips its hand.

I'm using linux at work right now.

>Might as well use Windows 10 LTSC
I'm pretty sure it is worse to use Windows than a systemd distro, as in general.
Windows only justified if you need a very specific software that isn't on Linux, this generally only apply to designers and CADfags, but if this is the case you should never have switched to Linux in the first place.

>Windows only justified if you need a very specific software that isn't on Linux,
When you stare into the mirror long enough, it stares into you.

Literally everything listed there apart from Windows of course is either FOSS or can be used just fine on Gahnoo/Linux anyway.
Not saying that you MUST use Linux, but it's not as limiting as people often think.

I've grown out of the Linux on the Desktop meme when I had a look at the average free software project and realized the mere possibility to contribute only spurs a tiny minority to actually help improve it. The best parts of any Linux distribution are the kernel and core userspace libraries/tools which receive funding and backing from large companies, which on the other hand helps big players like Red Hat shape the whole ecosystem to fit their own needs. This is exactly what everyone involved wanted to avoid in the first place.
It works great for running proprietary application software on servers, though.

Based.
All this "hurr durr i don't hav time to configure everything" shit comes from people who just fuck around with every single configuration hoping to get something to "work" instead of actually taking some time to read up how things work, then act surprised when something eventually breaks.
Most often than not, if something goes wrong it's your own fault, and that applies to most distributions.

As for the "time" argument, let me clue you in: time spent configuring Linux is not wasted, it is invested in the future. It will actually end up SAVING you time in the long run.
This is of course assuming you actually take your time to do things properly instead of mindlessly fucking around, as I said before. Only a child can't see the value of an investment.

That said, of course Linux (or any other OS) is not always the best choice. There is some useful software which runs properly on Windows only, no matter how much you try with Wine and other stuff. That's why I keep a Windows VM at hand on my machines for the rare occasion when I need such software.
At work, I use whatever the guidelines dictate: in a previous job I had, every work computer HAD to run an identical Windows installation, with the same exact programs, so I didn't complain. Nowadays, I have no such restriction as long as I get shit done, so I run Linux at work too since I'm more comfortable with it.

Oracle Java is a meme. Anything done in university can be done using openjdk

>listens to j-pop
opinion discarded

I was using 98, xp, server2003, then 8.1
8.1 was pretty ok but pissed off when they pushed w10 spyware to 8.1 too.
Installed debian afterwars and it is pretty good