I fucking hate Microsoft.
Is Linux + Wine viable now for gaming?

Attached: SQ08o7a.png (715x194, 261K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xubuntu.org/
kubuntu.org/
ubuntu-mate.org/
steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/after-update-of-my-windows-10-i-got-problem/4e34dc32-7942-42b1-b9ad-316f99390393
addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-c-windows-system32-config-systemprofile-desktop-is-unavailable-on-windows-10-1803-login/
old.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8jampl/windows_1803/
youtube.com/watch?v=oFocGcG_-DA
protondb.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How old are you?

Do you feel it's essential that you "game"?

No, it isn't. Prepare for linuxtard cope.

I mean it's way better than it has been. Steam also has Proton integrated in which is like specialized wine for games.
Look into the specific games you must play.

Attached: hylics.jpg (460x215, 47K)

Though user, if you decide to stick to windows I would recommend learning to use Linux as a recovery tool a bit so you can get your files back by yourself.
And have an emergency disk you could boot for simple things like internet access.

Attached: Thug Doritos.jpg (640x774, 54K)

yes it has always been and grow up. do something productive and not kill time by playing games

Why would it matter if he felt it was essential?

What distro?

It's better but not great. I tried Touhou 16 via proton on a fresh Ubuntu install and it worked with no visible problems.

MHW was a slow shitshow though. So you basically can't play any current gen games

Steam proton is pretty good. All you need to do is install the steam client and you're good to go. Obviously there's going to be a few issues, but it's playable.

Not him but game development is a viable artistic medium that can change the world

Distro's aren't so important nowadays so long as you pick something weird.
I would recommend choosing Xubuntu xubuntu.org/ Kubuntu kubuntu.org/ or Ubuntu Mate ubuntu-mate.org/
Just pick the one with the desktop environment that looks the best and then install the software you want.
I don't recommend "Distro Hopping"

Attached: 132647.jpg (750x1001, 444K)

Anything that runs on Steam can be run on WINE. Otherwise set up a Win7 VM.

Proton API is actually interesting
steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

Most modern games worth playing don't work well on wine. Rainbow 6 for example.

Do you feel it's essential that you don't "game"?

wtf bros iys this true

game development is native on linux
you can even compile and run source engine (if you really want to) on linux natively
whats your point?

Most modern games are shit and you can blame whatever anit cheat bullshit they injected into the game if wine/proton doesn't work

>Having a "desktop" folder/executable on that directory
Holy shit the update just got rid of a virus you had on your PC fucking moron, learn2security

>following some guide to fix this
>takes 10 minutes just to reboot and test if it worked for some reason
>fix isn't working

Attached: CKTLgJ-WgAEjoV5.jpg (250x250, 7K)

>takes 10 minutes just to reboot
SSD and NVE drives are a thing now gramps

Sure dude.
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/after-update-of-my-windows-10-i-got-problem/4e34dc32-7942-42b1-b9ad-316f99390393
addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-c-windows-system32-config-systemprofile-desktop-is-unavailable-on-windows-10-1803-login/
old.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8jampl/windows_1803/
It's an SSD it just sits on "Please wait" for ages until showing log in page.

There isn't a Desktop folder in that place, at all, system works and boots fine, in 10 seconds.

Stop playing video games.

Attached: photo_2018-12-09_22-04-04.jpg (640x640, 29K)

I don't know what that means.

Fuck off retard

What the fuck do you do, watch CNN all day?

Attached: 1463021870403.jpg (500x501, 36K)

Im on the release insider build and let me just say that if you cannot get windows to update on your own schedule then you are certifiably retarded.

w10 is max comfy yo

Attached: dsk.jpg (5757x2153, 2.11M)

>CPU and RAM maxxed out
>comfy

That's just the power of the cell baybee

I dual boot

Gaming on linux will never be a thing.

Games are for fucking children. Neck yourself faggot

Fuck it I'm installing ubuntu, this is intolerable.

> be you
> computer illiterate
> lets his windows os auto-update
my fucking sides. you deserve everything you get for this level of retardation. let me guess, you were using the home version of win10 that doesn't allow you to disable anything? KEK

> CPU @ 94%
> GPU @ 85%
> comfy
that isn't comfy. that's absolutely horrific. how much garbage you got running in the background?

Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate or Manjaro
If you really wanna game just buy crossover. Or git gud at wine. I don't really recommend Ubuntu or Mint.

Manjaro runs great (my file transfers from usb drives and such just go faster, by runs great) . I dunno why. I think it's the newer kernel than Ubuntu.

xubuntu has been the best for me for Steam as far as Linux native games, like Civ 6, 7 days to die and Ark . You can also install Retropie on a x86 and slap in Wii and ps2.

Basically Xfce is better than gnome imo.

It's probably the built in spyware eating all his resources.

Attached: Untitled.png (419x466, 30K)

Works on my machine
sage

That doesn't look comfy. I'm never comfortable at someone else's house. I like my house and how I decorated it.

>I don't really recommend Ubuntu or Mint.
Why?

>Is Linux + Wine viable now for gaming?
depends on what games you play

I only play EVE online, Dwarf Fortress and CS:GO and both of those games run perfectly on wine, so i run linux full time.

and by "both" i mean eve and csgo, since dwarf fortress has a native linux version

must be something like that. my machine is running between 1-5%.

Attached: i.png (907x526, 29K)

>6700K
That's too much of an 8 threaded beast to have only 8GB of memory, my CPU is kinda crappy and 16GB is comfy.

yes

Attached: 6BabdBR5NS56kaLMxZC9OJ1t953LBDbTcKFW_jD72B4.jpg (616x768, 52K)

Gnome 3+ just kinda sucks.
Xubuntu is Ubuntu with gnome swapped out for Xfce.

Mate is a Ubuntu with gnome 2 which I kinda dig but not as much as Xfce.

Some people will say Kubuntu which is Ubuntu with Kde instead of Gnome.

They are all the same system more or less just with slightly different software implementations. They're all cross compatible with one another software wise.

For a starter anything Ubuntu based is fine. Check out distrowatch for more info on distros or the Jow Forums wiki.

I got forced onto my Linux partition fulltime for a while when my old HD died, Proton worked better than I thought it would. Together with steam cloud saves I kept playing my games without noticing any issues desu.

YMMV of course, I play a lot of indieshit. I'm sure some stuff might not work. In my case games actually ran a bit better, not in framerate (which is locked at 60 for me anyway) but small stutters and pauses were removed.

I ended up going back to Windows anyway because of some obscure software and because all of the DEs I tried sucked in different ways. That and lack of proper hardware support/acceleration in general for non-game stuff, like browser video, scrolling, etc.

Sorry I thought you were Op. This kid is gonna distro hop and I'm just saving him time. The quick rundown was for OP.

Seems like you are too poor to enjoy life, let alone use a computer. Get off the public library computer fag

Depends on the games.
Use it on your laptop/non-gaymen device first and get used to it.

unironically get a mac. gaming is for children.

It's not as good as it should be, but good enough for games 3+ years old.

Buy a used i7 desktop and install Win7, then stream via Steam on Linux, it's the best of both worlds.

just Forza Horizon 4 lmao

I'm dumb enough to NOT use LTSC 2019: the post

No it is no viable for gaming.
Linux in general is not very viable for casual desktop usage, it lacks software.

Quit video games and install whatever popular Linux distro you want, they pretty much just work. That or buy a Mac. Modern video games just suck ass.

really depends, very hit or miss. expect very little to work immediately, but also understand that most games have a solution. this is the case even for natively ported games. it sucks because you can never just open up several games to see which is more appealing and so on. you can never really try games new to you either, because in practice only ones you really know are good you will bother actually trying to fix. or you may be like me who really does attempt to try new games but gets really fucking burned out to spend 3 hours debugging a new game every day and by the time i finally figure it out im fucking tired. actually i bet i could put that into a way you might understand, say you install mods for fallout new vegas. you spend all day making it look great and then you put it back down, its like that. so caught up in making everything perfect that you never actually end up enjoying what youve done so far

stuff like warframe and world of tanks run with lutris without a problem. Tested it last weekend.
But I don't want to install wine on my main pc because I fear stupid shit like viruses. Is clamav viable here?

But then you would not have access to the graphics card. Games run horrible.

Well, it's better then it has ever been with the recent work valve has put into proton, but your experience may vary.

Games for Linux are not optimized and will run poorly on a good computer. Learn to use windows if gaming matters or stop gaming

Muh adult, fun is for kid ! What your keep fucking your wife ? what a teenager looser ! Not even serius like me with my real job.

youtube.com/watch?v=oFocGcG_-DA

Watched it yesterday. Makes me want to make the change

prepare for responsible adulthood.

t. neet who thinks he's to be taken seriously because he has an i3 gaps config and doesn't game

A lot of windows game run in proton now, don't have to go through the trouble of setting up wine yourself anymore.
why would you not be able to develop games on linux?
Just use mpv for youtube videos and newsboat for showing you newly released youtube videos.

>imagine having no productive hobbies

Do you seriously do nothing but play video games all day? Are you fucking 15?

>2019... is gonna be a big year for linux
>literally heard that every year since 2006.

I don't think you know what bricked means

For a lot of things, yes.
For some things no.
Really depends on what you want to play.

I run linux as a main OS with Windows in a VM (+ pci-e passthrough) for modern games which dont' run well.
Although with more Vulkan games, that's becoming less - DRM is still an issue and Wine doesn't play well with a lot of DRMs.

>ubisoft game
>AKA Uplay DRM
Even if you run windows these games arent worth the trouble.

34. It's stress control and a harmless way of dealing with depression.

If you like gaming should reinstall windows and use the computer for only that deactivating all the security and update shit. I Have 10 rental gamer pc and all are stuck in anniversary edition don’t have a thing but games and check for virus once in a while with portables.

Yes, it is.
Most things will work straight out with just Steam's proton, for example. Though you can do your own.

DXVK is excellent, as well.

Once again a post with 75 replies is full of morons, never change Jow Forums

OP, if you're still there, check protondb and winedb for the games you play the most. If all the reports are borked/garbage on both don't expect them to run pretty much everything and stick with windows. If you want to play games on Linux and you see good reports for most of your games just know that you WILL have to employ work arounds that are on both websites from time to time and that sometimes a game won't work on proton but will on wine.

I'm not even going to get in to Distros but know that if you don't like something you will be able to change it. Good luck OP

Try it. Linux can be installed on a flash drive.

waste my life on Jow Forums shitting on gaymers

autism

2000, here.

thought I was on /v/ for a second
fuck off

OpenSUSE has worked very well with most games I've tried. Just don't expect things with denuvo or other cancer DRM products to work.

> virus
kek
> learn2security
double kek

Go back to sleep boomer

By continuing to use Windows? Dealing with Linux issues in any capacity isn't responsible.

Uh-oh be careful or you'll trigger the /v/ man babies.

You must not be very good with computers, works on my machine :)

Attached: file.png (387x39, 19K)

>welfare monkey jealous of other people with jobs spending money on healthy hobbies

COPE

this kek
a few years ago lincucks cry about "we dont need gaymes", but now that valve drm have been jammed deep, they're now grasping desperately to defend this proprietary cuckoldry

This. Get a life, gamecucks.

Make a new user profile

I make image backups of all my OS disks.
I make a mirror then run the mirror to make sure it's viable and I have a ready to run backup.

Depends on what games you want to play.
Nearly all games I play have official Linux support. Majority of my steam library just works. If not, they work just fine with wine. I didn't even had to use that steam tool, bit I've heard it works really well.

I don't play any AAA.

Do you really believe watching Netflix or whatever normies do in free time nowadays is any better than playing games?

Yep. Binge-watched Star Trek Discovery last night - got up off the couch three times, once at 2.30am to piss, twice at 11.30pm and 6am respectively for a smoke - while my laptop sat at my side in sleep mode.

>is linux + wine viable for gaming?
compare your favorite games to this list
protondb.com/
if they're on there in a good state, yes
if not, wait for further development on proton
and, because it's standard practice for threads like this

Attached: 1544721547633.jpg (1217x958, 438K)

LTSB/LTSC does not have this problem.
If you're savvy enough to use GNU/Linux, you should know about other alternative too.

Maliciously false and flagrantly homosexual.
Nobody from Jow Forums could afford that gear, nor avoid electrocuting themselves trying to wear it.