The absolute state of windows

The absolute state of windows.

Attached: Privacy_settings-1.jpg (750x651, 149K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/F5b0U3wRaQU?t=661
youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 1546057281458.jpg (1025x768, 111K)

Attached: 1546057799299.jpg (1024x768, 27K)

This. Even Win 8's settings weren't as egregious

Attached: windows_8_1_update_13.jpg (535x356, 39K)

I don't see a problem. I have cortana set up to my preferences and she even manages my calendar for me. Automatically sets up dates just by machine learning from my chats with coworkers.

you can disable everything, you don't even need an account, and you don't even need to pay, it's fucking free, only disadvantage is not being able to change the wallpaper or use that virtualization software iirc. Windows 10 is way better than Windows 8 imo, I have no complaints.

Has it got a start button?

Attached: g.png (800x600, 112K)

And how accurate it does that?
When you are talking a lot of possible dates for example, can it chose correctly?

what else is that bitch sticking her nose into

It's not as advanced as you think, it just reads phrases like "Then it's settled", "Right, see you then" and such, then scans the last several messages. Pretty cool to be honest, saves me 2 minutes of clicking around the horrible calendar interface. Even synchs with my google calendar which Is insane.
Daily schedules, reminds me to drink water or eat a specific diet. One time she asked how my sex life was going and that it had been 3 weeks and 4 days without sexual intercourse. Which was kinda weird cause I had only installed her for 2 weeks at that point.

>Windows 7 & 8
>Press Windows key + E
>Explorer instantly pops up

>Windows 10
>Press Windows key + E
>Explorer takes anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds to load

THEY FUCKED UP THE MOST BASIC ASPECTS OF THE OS. WINDOWS 10 IS A FUCKING PILE OF SHIT.

Attached: 131.jpg (480x360, 28K)

>be me
>shitbox c2d
>running 10
>press win+e
>Explorer instantly pops up
PEBKAC.

Still instant for me
t. no swap partition

>PEBKAC

Attached: 1480199439127.jpg (236x236, 10K)

Don't worry, you'll achieve adulthood one day.

I think you're projecting really hard right now.

Why are they selling it and offering it for free at the same time? Something doesn't add up, regardless of wallpaper.

Sure, kid.

They're not. They want you to pay, and will inconvenience you if you don't. Like nagging shareware.

Your screenshot is old as fuck, the new one takes you through each option one at a time, what it actually means and you have to explicitly select an on/off option.

Didn't when I installed 1809. Are you Insider?

Don't know what bootleg installer you're using user, I've just checked in a VM and it works exactly how I said it did.
This was 1809 and I'm almost certain 1803 worked this way as well.
Terrible picture but it's the best I can find while (temporarily) phoneposting.

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-11-20-08h33m38s247.png (1100x619, 37K)

Weird, both 1809 and 1803 gave me-style privacy settings screen on install.
Having said that, I only ever do clean installs - maybe the inplace upgrader works differently.

Give it another go, are you sure you aren't remembering properly? I've installed 1809 on 5 machines now with vastly different specs and scree resolution and they were all like .

Kinda meh then.

(Checked)
I am actually interested in this enough to spin up a VM. Back shortly.

(Me)
I stand corrected - neato. I use unattended install scripts, though, so I've probably not seen this sort of thing in a while.

Attached: VirtualBox_10 Install Test (Recommended by __69197700)_01_04_2019_07_18_41.png (1024x768, 44K)

Don't forget to hit winkey + privacy (settings) after the setup. IIRC these were on after setup.
Talking about the same adition? OP's appear on LTSC.
11:01 youtu.be/F5b0U3wRaQU?t=661
That screen is slightly before above.

Attached: Untitled.png (839x698, 41K)

>That screen is slightly before above.
Indeed. It's that point (after telling Cortana to go fuck herself) that you're supposed to see OP.

Does it listen to you?
What will happen if you literally say "Cortana fuck off" or something like that?

Hi there, I'm Cortana and i'm here to help!
youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

Fuck off, Cortana.

Attached: 1546057532190.jpg (1023x768, 132K)

>Microsoft puts you in control of your privacy

>you can disable everything,
believing this

werks on my machine

Attached: vtuber_1.png (537x515, 291K)

I switched to Linux because Windows was too complicated to set up

So erhm...
Even though they say they don't, Win 10 Enterprise and Education absolutely still phone home right?

I switched to Linux because I like tinkering and then bought a Macbook because sometimes I don't.

Attached: 1546346444076.jpg (968x681, 43K)

Effective bait was effective

>just pretending

I would be you if I had the money at the moment

Don't bother.
Waste of money. Just get one Ubuntu/Debian that you want to actually work and one Arch based for your tinkering.

?
Cortana is useful, you're just irrationally afraid of her.

>fear is the only reason to disagree with something
These fucking zoomers

She makes life easier, what's to dislike?

Why it is uncomfortable for me when you address it as "she"? Like those film moments that make you unsettled.

It was a jab at vir/g/ins. I genuinely see no reason anyone would dislike cortana seeing as you can disable the feature.

>leave everything to me Dave
>don't you dare turn me off
>it's for your own good

Happens to me and many users I've searched for as well.
It's a modern i7 with 3 SSDs. None of which are ass. Not that that should matter at all.

Again, do you have swap disabled?

Absolute cuckoldry

You feel manly for setting up your own calendar like some secretary?

Why are you supposing that should be a necessity? Yes swap is enabled but a modern OS should definitively not compromise significantly on the user experience because of swap.

>It saves me 2 minutes clicking around in an interface.
I have issues with this.

I agree with you on this totally but banning swap makes everything way snappier.

what's the issue

>disabling your page file
>in the 21st century
Interesting concept.

There's 0 reason to use a page file. Seriously. Why would you ever need page file?

>hurr durr the way i do things is the only way
>i cannot even conceive of how anyone could do it any other way
Because I run a lot of shit, and have a tendency to push it into the background, sometimes for days at a time.
I'd prefer that shit get paged out and have that RAM available for what I'm working on right now, than be stuck in RAM chips - you know, the reason virtual memory was invented for in the first place?

Number one is that you need to confirm its correct which implies they either have the capacity for making good interface (presenting you with the confirmation at the right time, which I've found troubling in similar systems) but neglected to make a good interface overall or you're just banking on their correctness for your important appointments. Which is daring.
Second is that you'll still need to know the horrible interface for when you've got something to specify. Along with that comes the fact that you'd want them to actually describe the appointment. It's incredibly hard and the success rate determines how often you'll face the interface.
I don't think my calendar application is onerous. I'm not particularly happy with it. It takes maybe 5 seconds to set up an appointment if I know what to name it.
If they had something that actually makes up descriptive names or names and descriptions well from what it gleaned in conversation I'd love to see it.

Just buy more ram?
It just fucking works. After all, people got paid to program it.

>it just fucking works
I don't believe you.
It would be the first time in history computers did something that incredibly complex without fail.
It might even be an unsolvable problem because you need to know the reader.
Admittedly if you let MS spy on literally everything you do they'll know you pretty alright but it's still hard.

>throw hardware at a problem that has been solved by software for decades
Not my cup of tea.

Attached: 1522017617608.jpg (593x665, 55K)

Are you fucking dense or stuck in the past? This is a machine learning problem and yes I let cortana read all my Messenger chats.

Okay enjoy explorer.exe launching in 3 seconds.

>2015 screenshot
Nice blog

See .

Dude your IDE drive is just too slow to swap in the first place LOL

The last I disabled it, I ran into more problems than i could imagine.

I have a SATA SSD.
How many times can you be wrong in a row?

If you didn't understand how you made a post for no reason right now you're retarded.
I told you it's a hard problem to solve given the information I SUPPOSE that you give them. And I went well beyond messages.
>it's a ML problem
No. It's a systems problem. ML is one potential solution. And it would have the knowledge to replace any service personnel in the world tomorrow if it existed.
You're underestimating how hard it is to actually have a 100% success rate in detecting that a meeting was scheduled in communications, detect when it is, describe the circumstances to the user when they later read the appointment in their calendar. And come up with a high level description of the meeting at hand.
All of that information could have been implicit in the source communications. No time might have been mentioned. No keywords. Yet the AI (as we supposed it is apparently) will have to realize it.

It's incredibly impressive. I haven't tried what you've tried but I would have heard the news that MS has made major strides in approaching general intelligence in AI.

This. The Windows memory manager works under the assumption that there's a page file - it's an acknowledgement that there's a really short list of reasons why you'd disable it.

>SSD
>C2D
Almost believed you. That crap CPu can't keep up with SSDs.

She wil rape you in your sleep

>not knowing what dma is
OK, you're a joke.

She pauses when you're speaking. It's so weird. If you use the disability options like reading notifications out loud it's a shit show.
It's like you're listening to red hot and you hear "HEY! TIME. FOR. UPDATES?" in a robotic voice.
I have an old c2d machine under my desk retard.

It doesn't need to - it only needs to be faster than a hard disk.

>has 10gb/s ram bandwidth
>probably has 2 or 3gb/s to its pci-e
>but for some reason can't keep up with 500mb/s from a sata ssd

Attached: 1544826348196.jpg (800x450, 45K)

Yeah empirically

Learn to use windows, then shit talk it. At least use valid points, not something you can disable and it will never bother you again

They don't know how to disable anything. Half of these Jow Forumsaylords complain about things that are literally the first entry in a Control Panel/Settings applet.

See .

>advertising ID
people PAY for this software?

Attached: 4fc.png (678x450, 257K)

>thinking anyone has ever paid for (client) windows

Attached: 1300720308609.jpg (472x315, 30K)

My grandfather did years ago when I built my first machine

Old people do some really weird shit, so we should forgive him.

The guy used to work with pre unix systems so I generally don't question his decisions as I'm worried he'll smite me for my ignorance using incomprehensible assembly technomancy.

>Leave everything to us
>Deletes your files

Nobody you will ever meet lost files.

I never leave the house, so don't ever meet anyone

Observer-expectancy effect?

Attached: 1544123532806.png (680x590, 167K)