HDD recommendations

Recommend me a hard drive Jow Forums, minimum 2tb, its for personal backup.

Attached: westgesrgsdfgsdfg.jpg (1500x1500, 226K)

Get multiple loose harddrives and an external harddrive dock if it's important.

Install Gentoo

Compile Gentoo

thats what im trying to do, but what model is a good choice for reliability, what company should i look for?

(Just posting random pic, can ignore.)

The most common brands are Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and HGST. Reliability? Varies between models I dunno man I just get whatever cheaper at the time and 7200rpm as to not gimp yourself. (Cough, I'm making the move now to 2.5".) And as mentioned, backup your backup if critical. Drives don't fail too fast on me I just get another one when one fails.

Just stay the hell away from 3TB Seagate and you're probably fine.

Attached: random hdd rates.png (768x548, 182K)

k one more question, what difference does it make getting a 2.5" vs getting a 3.5", is there a benefit from moving to a 2.5" other than being able to shove it in a laptop

HGST 4GB has been memed a bunch

2.5" is easier to carry, 3.5" tend to cost less and have more capacity options

Only shoving more in less space (muh ITX setup). And like a quarter of power consumption on full load but eh...
It's gonna transfer slower than 7200rpm 3.5".

Can be powered by a usb port

4 terrorbite I mean

The highest capacity consumer 2.5" drives in my country are 2tb and cost a lot more than 3.5" 2tb. Get 3.5", faget

Not OP, but how would you feel about getting used/refurbished drives for RAID? I could get them for half the price with one year warranty and I would hope that they don't break down all at once and just replace them as they break (if they do break). I would certainly check SMART data before buying.

That's for internal drives, but you can buy an external drive (4tb, 2.5mm) and remove the internal drive

External drives are cheaper too, I forget

Attached: the_future_of_smartphones.jpg (920x613, 29K)

Seagate Barracuda

>and [can] remove the internal drive
Don't be so sure.

avoid the non-pro seagate barracuda drives at all costs, they lie about it's speed (most sites list them at 7200RPM, while only the pro has that speed) and they also use SMP which will result in much less read and write speeds as you fill up the drive

Thinking of getting a Toshiba 3TB 300P
is there any difference between
>HDWD130EZSTA (Retail) 3 TB
>HDWD130UZSVA (Bulk) 3 TB

Retail just means the colorful box as you would see it in physical stores whereas "bulk" you get it in plain cardboard and plastic bubble/bag etc.

so bulk it is, thanks user.
Anything to say about the drive itself? I check a couple of reviews and it seems like it will do fine for storage, my only worry is how long it will last, 2 year waranty is pretty shit in my opinion.

What HDDs are recommended for important data? Thought about WT HC310 aka HGST or Toshiba N300, expensive though.
What about media, just need more space for torrents etc, I guess cheaper stuff like Toshiba P300 is fine, right?