I'm not saying Linux is obsolete, but having a bootable Linux drive sure is

I'm not saying Linux is obsolete, but having a bootable Linux drive sure is.

Attached: Untitled.png (1292x1011, 161K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/build-custom-distro
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-on-server
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, but cygwin is. Why MS wanted to screw Cygnus Solutions so bad?

>pepe os
>no m'lady os
Wtf

Microsoft competes with IBM in cloud I believe.

>Windows Store
Disgusting.

>no windows10 updates = no features
nice linux you have there lol

>not wanting gpu acceleration so badly.

Literally objectively better than any and all Linux markets.

>Linux reduced to an app
Microsoft has won completely

RELENTLESS

Attached: Untitled.png (879x252, 9K)

>what is wine
Linux won long time ago

>having a bootable Linux drive
> obsolete
> when you can have it unbootable from BIOS and emulated instead
Idiot.

>wine
It just doesn't work. Meanwhile I can run *all* your Linux apps.
>emulated
NO, it's not emulated, syscalls are translated, this is nothing more than reverse-wine.

WSL hahahahahaha I'd rather stab my hand with a carving knife than ever contemplate using it. You cant even run any device drivers in it. hahahahaha

only microsoft shills would try to spin lack of vendor lock-in as them winning

Seems like your estoretic (possibly misinformed) usecase is just wrong 2bh. Works fine for me and millions of other people.

Attached: 1521037317679.jpg (625x415, 42K)

My use case is that I don't want to run Windows on my computer. If that isn't also your use case, you're doing something wrong.

Windows has apps you can't use in Linux. Linux (now) has no apps you can't use in windows.

that isn't desirable, vendor lock-in is not a feature

I don't care about vendors as long as I get my apps. If Linux cannot provide that, I simply don't use Linux.

Ok so I install windows on my computer. Now what antivirus do you suggest I install? How do I remove microsofts root kits and malware that is tracking me?

So therefore from now on if anyone wants to develop apps, they should make them for Linux and ignore Windows completely because they'll just work in WSL. Gotcha. Actually that sounds pretty good, based Microsoft has finally given up and admitted their APIs are steaming dog shite.

>antivirus
Don't need one, Defender and SmartScreen are good enough.
>root kits and malware
Proof?
Fine by me desu.

linux is a kernel, it doesn't "provide apps" whatever that means
>I don't care about vendors
but yet here you are shilling microsoft like a good pajeet

isn't getting anything with a gui working still a pain in the ass? I haven't used it in quite a while because i don't use windows; but last time i did getting anything with a gui working was a huge pain in the ass; and getting it to work stably was impossible.

Can't run fdisk on windows

>Linux is a kernel
Maybe, maybe not. 90% of people think of the gnu/Linux package.
>shilling
I'm making a tech thread on the tech board and it's being spammed by free software separatists.
Distros don't come with desktop environments but you can launch your graphical apps.

pulseaudio is also a bitch to set up, wayland doesn't work at all, and performance is massively slower all around
running gnu/linux inside windows completely defeats the purpose of running gnu/linux, fags like OP who moan about "muh apps" are plebs who haven't paid for a piece of software in their life

>free software separatists
2 rupees have been deposited in your account

I think many people here are missing one huge item of information. back in the day when Nallmer was CEO, Microsoft and Novell pledged that they would improve the interoperability of their products windows and suse linux. Open source advocates were amazed at the deal, but Ballmer's comments could vindicate the suspicions of some.

Ballmer said in a question and answer session at a technology conference that Microsoft signed the deal because Linux "uses our intellectual property" and it wanted to "get the appropriate economic return for our shareholders from our innovation".

In other words, this is the start of the MS takeover

Spooky huh

that's another thing; WSL runs like shit; whereas WINE will oftentimes run shit better than windows itself

Cool, can you show me some benchmarks?

>benchmarking a compatability layer where programs run well or not well on a case by case basis
that isn't going to be accurate on WINE or WSL

no, install gentoo and benchmark it yourself
>but i don't want to
dumbass wintoddler can't even run his own benchmark

Don't be so defensive, I just want my apps to be as fast as possible. What apps run faster under wine?

>Gentoo
Okay but I'll include compile times into the benchmarks, meaning any and all programs have a 30+ minute overhead.

If you look at your phone there is the bootable Linux drive, windows lost in the móvil market and apple is weak, is matter of time Microsoft wants to buy all the Linux who can for the next phone/tablet/computer generation and stay relevant.

don't forget to include compile times for windows 10 in your benchmark too
>but i don't compile my own windows 10
not a fair comparison then, told you wintoddlers couldn't run a benchmark

personally i don't run that much in wine, because linux has most of what i need; but one i really noticed was photoshop. on my nice computer they're pretty similar, but on my not as nice laptop it runs so much better, i presume because the overhead on linux is much smaller than on windows.

>bootable Linux drive
Unless the phone is rooted, it's useless.

you do know you can install bianaries on gentoo, right?

>fair comparison
My time is not free and it's Gentoo's own fault It compiles everything. Yes, it's a very fair benchmark indeed.

So why would I be running Gentoo? Placebo?

you shouldn't; gentoo is a meme distro.

>My time is not free
mine neither, that's why i spend it posting on a taiwanese wood carving forum
>it's a very fair benchmark indeed
so you do compile your windows 10 then? send me the source code and i'll run my own benchmark too

>carving forum
No, sweaty, I'm at work now and """"it's compiling""". At home, I'm not going to compile jack shit.
>compile
Fuck no I don't, I pay $150 for the entire package and it runs. For Gentoo I pay nothing BUT I have to compile everything. So it seems like a fair benchmark to me.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/build-custom-distro

?????????

again, you can install binaries on gentoo
>bragging about dicking off at work and voluntarily entering botnet at home
sounds like a shit company, you would be fired if you worked for me, and you would be evicted if you lived on any of my property

>binaries on Gentoo
So there's zero point to using Gentoo then?
>me, my
Nice LARP. No, you're not important enough for such bold statements.

>So there's zero point to using Gentoo then?

are you surprised that a Jow Forums meme is a meme?

>i don't understand it therefore there is no point to it
classic wintoddler
>you're not important
neither is your mother but i still slept with her last night

Absolute state of inargumentative inbreds.

Yes actually. I spent two weeks of my summer time on Gentoo and it was no faster than opensuse tumbleweed.

it always was, Linux is too unstable for bootable use. I use vmplayer now

WSL is incredible, to be honest. Can't quite replace actual standalone Linux, and I/O performance is generally subpar, but it turns Win10 into absurdly versatile dev environment.
Used it since beta, still using it now, still loving it.

Not being able to use Unix software on Windows is the definition of vendor lock in you fucking idiot.

>WSL
It's actually GNU/NT

How do you boot into a graphical desktop environment? I can't install xorg

Sure thing if you don't mind a script taking 40 minutes to complete instead of the 3 minutes it takes on native Linux

Calling bullshit desu

Will never be Jow Forums approved until Arch and Gentoo are options.

>microsoft acknowledges that the only way to make Windows useful for a technology professional is for it to simply not be Windows at all
mfw

Microsoft competes with IBM in large-scale cloud solutions the same way AMD competed with Intel during the Bulldozer era

Attached: 1540784436292.jpg (660x447, 109K)

When they become options, Jow Forums will scream about slackware and Linux from scratch. After that, they'll complain about UNIX. After Windows takes over UNIX, they'll complain about templeOS or crap like that.

I don't. Why would I? I use bash.
X server is installable, though. People had done it before - it shouldn't be that hard. Though, it has no point for me, as for GUI tasks I just use Windows.

diskpart

fdisk is literally available for windows

So can I just install software for bash and somehow make shortcuts for it somewhere?
Just like DOSBox, you see, I want to click on a program and have it open by the subsystem.

I've installed XFCE inside the thing, and now I metaphorically have two OSs installed side by side, sharing the same files without any VM walls

Attached: 1545333707196.jpg (166x320, 9K)

WSL has its own "partition" as well as access to all your Windows drives under /mnt.
You launch Bash and cd to whatever directory you want to work with. If you're working with a Windows directory under /mnt there'll be no problems with using both Bash and Windows tools.
For all purposes, WSL is a consistent OS that runs in parallel with Windows. It can run various daemons, all of which will be translated to and will be accessible from Windows, but not in a sense of launch graphical interfaces and such. If you want a GUI - you'll have to link the application from WSL with Windows - that's where X server is used - you run it on Windows' side for WSL to connect to it.
I assume you can set up your shortcuts and stuff, but it's not how the things actually work, so you'll probably end up writing custom scripts instead.

Why would I want to sail my golden boat on an ocean of cum?

Attached: $0.png (362x259, 156K)

>Linux reduced to a bunch of binaries and libraries
Docker has won completely

>microsoft acknowledges that the only way to make Windows useful for a technology professional is for it to simply not be Windows at all
I've never met a serious dev who doesn't use windows. linux users on the other hand all seem to just type ls in the terminal to feel haxxor and generally never written anything more complex than 1000 variations of fizz buzz

How did you achieve that, I can't install xorg even.

Docker is shit, though.

Exactly one of my 11 coworkers uses Windows as-is. The rest of us can't stand it and have either installed Ubuntu (the only one the IT department will let us use) or MSYS2. I'm not a vim or emacs faglord but there's power in a UNIXlike shell that even PowerShell can't seem to beat.

you can also install them standalone
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-on-server

>is linux
>doesn't use he linux kernel
>head asplodes

much of the WSL networking stack is half-done so you can't use tools like nmap or wireguard. even ping was broken for a while.

As is Windows, friend.

This is an unideal solution. Can you install x-server applications? No? That's what I thought. Eat shit.

You can, retard. You can install xorg and whatever Linux bloat you want.

you can, you need to install an x-server in windows though

Windows is great, though.

GUI babby trying to act tough. Cute.

Wow I never thought I'd see the day a guy running Linux on windows would BTFO a GUI Linux user. God bless

x11?

Attached: 1536030856570.png (1920x1080, 957K)

windowlette demonstrating his sheer "power"

HOW
HOW HOW HOW
HOOOOW

based

Attached: 1545256515461.jpg (334x334, 20K)

You should be able to run all programs under the GNU-Licence on any system imaginable. You are free to read and manipulate their code!

Jesus..... 2019 was supposed to be the year of Linux. It all happened so fast, how did windows get so far ahead? It's not fucking fair. Why?
WHY is it legal to run LINUX on WINDOWS? IT's against the FUCKING LICENSE

>thinking 'linux' is involved in any way

Attached: 1545245303439.jpg (640x480, 34K)

get fucked
I downloaded the ubuntu thing but xorg isn't installing, what do I do man

Attached: 3c7.jpg (249x249, 17K)

i can just run photoshop in wine though

>I downloaded the ubuntu thing but xorg isn't installing, what do I do man
Get a brain.

Yeah well I can run photoshop in wine in Lindows

without GPU acceleration, color profiling (or control) and stuck at releases half a decade ago

dude fuck? sudo apt install *xorg* *x11* *gnome*
It's not working what do I do please