Dark matter in the universe is on the move, scientists confirm

A new research conducted by scientists from University of Surrey, Carnegie Mellon University and ETH Zürich have confirmed that dark matter in the universe is on the move.

They found evidence that dark matter can be heated up and moved around, as a result of star formation in galaxies. The findings provide the first observational evidence for the effect known as 'dark matter heating', and gives new clues as to what makes up dark matter.

Read More: thetelegraff.com/dark-matter-universe

Attached: dark matter in the universe.jpg (960x540, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/pdf/nucl-ex/0309004.pdf
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scientific_theory#.22Just.22_a_theory
arxiv.org/abs/1203.2847
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cool.

>Dark matter
Bullshit made up by physishits to get muh grant money. Those dumb niggers can't even use C let alone understand the universe lmao.

Dark matter based weapon when?

you mean super heat the dark matter, store it and then shoot it at people?
we dont even know how much damage it does.

>Only interacts using gravitation and maybe the weak interaction
Never.

I mean some shit that surpasses hydrogen bombs in destruction levels, if that is possible.

Dark matter is primarily compose of neutrinos and other almost non interacting particles, which is one of the reasons we cannot detect them. You have millions of neutrinos passing through your body right now.

Don't know if you are joking or not...
But you are somewhat right. Nearly all of our more advanced physics is "we observed this. But it doesn't match our expectations. So we added this dark_matter/exotic_material/new_particle/new_field. We have prof it exists. And we can't check. But it makes our observations fit in new model with that new stuf, and it makes math easier! In past we were right when adding such stuff, so hopw we are right now too!"
Funny thing is that such "research" used to actually work. But today all adwanced physics are built on so much "lets_just_add_this™" that it is becoming comical.

fucking this!
fuck that quantum bullshit.

>actually believing this propaganda

t.flatearthers unite

>It's too complicated for me to understand, so it must be bullshit
kek.

Just like they did with the string theory. Hurr Durr quantum physics and Einstein's theory don't fit in 3 dimensions but if we add 7+ more it werks

This thread is America in a nutshell.
Half of the posters deny existance of proven physics (quantum theory, dark matter)
The other half tries to think of ways to use dark matter for weapons and killing people

>Einstein's theory don't fit in 3 dimensions but if we add 7+ more it werks
Both SR and GR take place in 4 dimensions.

I thought it's still unsure if time counts as a dimensions

No, the big idea in relativity is the treatment of both space and time on the same footing.

Don't get confused here kiddo.
String theory is highly controversial among scientists and not proven. I'm personally very sceptical too.
But quantum mechanics can't be denied. The device you are posting from right now utilizes quantum mechanics to make chips work on these tiny scales.

dark matter is what powers the dark web
and goth fashion

>These things that we can't see, feel or detect in any way are real, they are actually made up of these things we can't see, feel or detect in any way, you are so dumb haha.
This is you.

>We can't detect neutrinos
>We can't (indirectly) detect dark matter

I'm not doubting quantum mechanics but the string theory itself I'm aware that scientist themselves are sceptical about that's why it's called a theory in the first place

Have you ever confirmed this yourself or just parroting what they said?

theory != proven

Then why is it still called a theory if it's proven?

>technology

go away /x

For all you know, neutrinos are just random abnormalities in a gravitational field.
He wants to look smart, so he does what everyone like him does, just repeat the words of some con artists milking the likes of him.
All this currently unprovable quantum shit is basically a religion, you either believe in the theories and pretend they're proven, or you're a big stupid meanie.

>For all you know, neutrinos are just random abnormalities in a gravitational field.
But I know they aren't.

My Master's thesis was on something related to beta decay. My current PhD is on gravitation and cosmology. So I guess you could call me some sort of expert on this matter. In fact I probably might be one of the few /sci/ fags that browse Jow Forums religiously.
>I haven't read a book, but I read news and thus nothing makes sense to me, so you're wrong.
And 'random abnormalities in gravitational field' means nothing. Gravitation is a property of the metric space, dumb fuck. In fact all of four forces are some manifestion of the symmetries in the metric space.

How do you know that? Did you ever see a neutrino yourself?
I do read books, not about unprovable theories though. This is Jow Forums btw, we come here to discuss technology, man-made objects which we don't speculate about based on something some "scientist" said in a paper he's selling online for $100. I'm not saying quantum mechanics don't exist, in fact, I know some quantum mechanics do happen and have real measurable effects. However, when it comes to theories, I prefer to not see them as facts until they're proven.
>Dark matter is primarily compose of neutrinos and other almost non interacting particles, which is one of the reasons we cannot detect them.
This also means nothing to me, you're saying that we can't detect dark matter, then how the fuck do you know dark matter actually exists?
>You have millions of neutrinos passing through your body right now.
Prove that.

>Dark matter
You mean ether, right?

retarded 14yold, they ran simulations on galaxy creation which proved there needed to be something like dark matter else they wouldn't be anything like what they are

Imagine beeing such an aggorant, ignorant brainlet as this nigga:
>how the fuck do you know dark matter actually exists?
You can observe the movement of celestial bodies and come to a conclusion, that there has to be something invisible (not emmiting any electromagnetic radiation) which has a gravitational influence. This something is manipulating the paths of these celestial bodies.l, and therefor called dark matter.

This is literally high school tier.

We can indirectly detect Neutrinos by looking at their decomposition products. There is a huge detector for this in the antarctic ice.

>t. Seething tripfag

>How do you know that?
Well for one I know that
>neutrinos are just random abnormalities in a gravitational field
Has absolutely no basis in any theory that I know.

Second, I know enough history to know that neutrinos were first hypothesised by Fermi (I think, might have been Pauli) who used to to explain why conservation was being violated in certain weak decays.

Third, I know enough quantum mechanics and qft to know the importance of neutrinos

Fourth, I've read the results from Super-Kamiokande (fun fact: super-kamiokande also found the existence of something called neutrino oscillation, it was never hypothesised before AFAIK)

Fifth, they're used pretty frequently by CERN Neutrinos to Gran Sasso experiment.

>he's selling online for $100.
The scientist isn't selling his paper for $100, it's jew publishers. No one likes them.

>Prove that.
Okay
arxiv.org/pdf/nucl-ex/0309004.pdf
The flux is found to be 5.21 +/- 0.27 x 10^6 cm^{-2} s^{-1}

We can indirectly detect Neutrinos by looking at their decomposition products
I know.

good goyim
just buy our new consumer tech product, goyim

jesus christ you niggers literally didn't finish primary school, did you?

what the fuck are you even doing on a technology board? why are you even allowed to coexist in the society?

N I G G E R

rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scientific_theory#.22Just.22_a_theory

You fucking useless waste of atoms.

51% Jorge, go back to cleaning my toilet. Leave the science to white people.

>imagine being this stupid

CS intro programming at my uni: Python
Physics intro programming at my uni: C
CS brainlets BTFO

>hur dur
except that it is how physics research works. If something does not fit current model they make up something that would make it work - string theory, dark matter, anything about black holes. And then they hope they will prive it right in time. But currently it is fucking cardhouse and they are still building on top of it.

He failed to capitalize the T.
A Theory is proven, a theory is just a hypothesis.

>string theory, dark matter, anything about black holes
>anything about black holes
Yikes!

>>You have millions of neutrinos passing through your body right now.
>Prove that.
Prove that your body is made up of billions (trillions?) of cells.
>well if i take a small sample of tissue i can count the cells in it and then extrapolate that to the rest of my body
Congratulations, you just worked out how we know there are millions of neutrinos passing through our bodies right now.

Now, I'm not entirely sold on this claim that dark matter is made up of these neutrinos. As far as I know it hasn't been nailed down to that yet, so that could just be a baseless claim or guess, but some of the stuff your complaining about is stuff we know as much about as the link between germs and disease, for example.

>we can't detect dark matter, then how the fuck do you know dark matter actually exists?

Its called dark matter because its gravity has an effect on things around it. We observe this gravity, not the actual dark matter.

Its like if you looked out your window at night and there were a bunch lamps lighting up the environment but there was also tons of places that were lit but you couldn't find any lamps in the area. You'd probably call these lamps something like "hidden lamps" because they'd be behaving just like lamps were. You wouldn't know anything about these "hidden lamps" other than the fact that they behaved like invisible lamps. If this was really important to you and you had tons of time and money and expertise in lamp design, you'd probably sit and study how the light from these "hidden lamps" behaved and also try to understand what the nature of these "hidden lamps."

Is dark matter PROVEN physics?
And can you , strictly speaking, prove anyhting in Physics as opposed to not disproving?

>pls guys gimme atenttion im soo smart, i love science and i believe everything quantum physux saiz

Attached: 1541553523989.gif (413x243, 51K)

I understand your arguments, but your conclusion is retarded.
Yeah, String theory is a shitshow. Most physicists aren't bothering with it because it doesn't fit with our reality, and tests that should prove it (in some form) are coming up empty. The math is nice, but so long as it doesn't match reality, it's not going to be accepted. And that's the main point, the point where you are wrong.
They aren't accepting shit that doesn't match reality. This is why dark matter is accepted. Our understanding of gravity works so well everywhere else that it's more like there's just some matter we can't see.
As for black holes, we have seen stars orbiting things we can't see and we have also detected them with various instruments.

What, exactly, is your problem with quantum physics?

>imagine being tryhard science guy and pretend to be smart on the internetz

No. Just no. There is no "quantum" anything, this isn't poorly understood near magic effects of some mythical theoretical particle.

DM is a hypothetical cause of unaccounted for gravity. Its proven in the sense that we have to explain the unaccounted for gravity in some way. It could very well be something we already know about but out models can't explain why they are there.

Also in physics, you prove things by repeated experiments over time. After a while you've run the experiment that test the hypothesis enough times for the outcomes to not merely be random. So we know that the higgs is a real particle we've observed the predicted nature of it under various conditions enough times to know that it exists. The entire point of the scientific method is that it can actually prove things to be true to a point at which it becomes impossible to argue against it.

This.
Reminder that gravitational waves weren't ever detected before 2015, a century after the theory

Stop posting this, dumbass.
You got your ass handed to you the second you dropped it in /sci/.

b bbut it proven on blackboard with theories and bunch formulas

>DM is a hypothetical cause of unaccounted for gravity.
Agreed.
>Its proven in the sense that we have to explain the unaccounted for gravity in some way.
That is nowhere near a proof. If that is all you have DM is not even a hypothesis.

>you mean super heat the dark matter, store it and then shoot it at people?

Zentradi. We will shoot it at Zentradi.

Attached: Macross_Movie.mkv_20190104_092920.454.jpg (1706x920, 324K)

>/sci/
The place where brainlets will try to give a physical interpretation to the math behind quantum physics?
>Spin means particles spin
>Particles are at 2 places at once
>Particles move at 2 different speeds at the same time

No. Just no. There is no "quantum" anything, this isn't poorly understood near magic effects of some mythical theoretical particle. This is simply electrons being so small they can move through any material at the path of least resistance, because nothing can exert 100% perfect electrical control over them. It is current leakage. It is nothing but current leakage. It is current leakage in short channel devices, and it happens at literally every feature size, it is not exclusive to small FinFET devices like upcoming 5nm EUV FinFETs. Even planar devices have extremely high degrees of leakage through their channels, directly under the gates, electrons still leak out. Yet despite this the transistors still function.

Quantum tunneling is a meme regurgitated by people who know nothing about the field of FETs.
See up

I'll run a simulation which proves that your mom is actually a cow.
Maybe there are giant black holes very far away which cause that movement.
J E W
E
W
I am not a spic, you kike.
>t. seething kike
>multiple people have theorised something
>it must be right

>theorised
lol, literally being applied.
arxiv.org/abs/1203.2847

>That is nowhere near a proof. If that is all you have DM is not even a hypothesis.

Its proof enough to know that DM is something, but not to know what it actually is. The point about the term DM isn't that we believe it is a completely new and revolutionary particle, its that we don't know what is causing the gravity. Its dark and it behaves like matter, so we call it dark matter.

Its like calling a person you don't know a "stranger." Once you find out who that person actually is, you call them something else.

PM'ed you the proof :)

The observation alone is proof enough that either:
- Our theory of gravity is incomplete for the 2nd time (Newton, Einstein)
- There's something we don't see
The variations we can measure in the CMB seem to indicate the 2nd hypothesis is the right one

>something exists between galaxies
>it has mass
>it affects the movement of gravity
>it can lead to gravitational lensing when there's no VISIBLE materials such as galaxies or stars in between

>scientists treat is as WTF matter, but they can't call it that publicly or in a peer reviewed paper; call it dark matter instead--safer

That's what it is you faggot. It's what the fuck matter. No one understand what it is, just that its there and has real world consequences.

> a hypothetical form of matter is confirmed to be heating and moving based on what computer models tell us, but we're nowhere near proving it actually exists and we've never observed it outside of our complex modelling.
the absolute state of modern physics. what a fucking travesty.
>dark matter
>proven
what a dumb ass.

>quantum theory is proven
Tell us more about quantum gravity

Same thing here, lel

CS is literally brainlets

>There is no "quantum" anything
Do you know what quantum means? Do you try to explain light quanta (photons) in terms of electrons? Are you a kook?

temperature is just a movement of particles. how can you heat up dark particles that dont interact with our particles? these two matters should not heat up each other

>dark particles that dont interact with our particles
What in the world are you talking about? Of course dark matter is interacting with visible matter. That's how we detected in the first place. Galactic rotational velocities and gravitational lensing have all shown that without a doubt something is there interacting via gravity. That something has been dubbed Dark Matter. Is it a particle? Is it topology? Is it a missing term in our gravitational calculus? That's what the hunt is all about.

You:
>every day a villager is being found half-eaten with horrible claw and bite marks left in the remains.
>we've never seen this "dark animal"
>it must not exist
>there's no evidence of anything!
>the state of physics! lololol

Dark matter doesn't exist. It's not matter. Anyone else tired of popular science journalists (sjws) parading out boomer celebrity physicists who continue to use boomer metaphors like "matter" to describe shit they don't understand? Not all of the boomer physicists are that stupid, of course. The good physicists are smart enough to keep pace with things regardless of their age. But damn, I'm fucking tired of these fisher-price tier models of reality. If you don't understand information theory, you're doing it wrong. And of course, the journalists can't sell something to the unwashed masses if they lack the intelligence to understand it in the first place. Hence the watering down. The solution to this is that we need a culling of all low-IQ subhumans from the population. The universe demands it.

temperature is a relative measure of entropy in system. expansion of space is directly related to the de Sitter complexity within a system. this would seem to indicate that gravity, and hence so called "dark matter" is emergent from entropy. certain Jews don't like this theory though, because it relegates Einstein to an outmoded status. They're starting to try to push Susskind and Bekenstein instead, even though the real brains behind it were Hooft and Maldacena.

>dark matter is interacting with visible matter

> Dark Matter is actually a parallel plane where consciousness resides, basically The Warp,
> Top Scientists studying it have been corrupted and continue to be very vague about it while secret Cabals try harness/summon/feed/control/serve the dark sentiences/demiurge of this plane by degenerating society or through other methods which will lead to the ruin of mankind
> These 'others' from the plane can get temporary access through possession, basically the demons/spirits of mankind alluded to in every faith and ancient belief
> The only defence is living a righteous and virtuous life following in the footsteps of those who have transcended this world or were sent by a higher power to guide us
> This is all probably a simulation anyways

Anyone else unironically believe this?

>can't even use C
In case you haven't realized yet, the whole point is to find some way around having to know how to code. In the end, it's a waste of time, the goal isn't to know how to code, the goal is yielding the result of whatever you're trying to achieve, coding just happens to be the only solution to most problems in our day and age. Ideally you're desired result would be achieved by making someone else code for you.
tl;dr success is coding the least amount as possible.

dark matter is just leftovers from memory deallocaed in space ram. the question is how can we abuse this to cause stack overflow and hack the universe

dark matter? sounds like heresy to me.

>Its proof enough to know
Are you a scientist??

>real world consequences
You meant space, right?

sorry but there is no dark matter. universe expands because of diffusion

Attached: 11299026.png (157x153, 8K)

The world doesn't end with the earth, so yeah; space and everything in it.

>The world doesn't end with the earth, so yeah; space and everything in it.
The world is too ambiguous, it's usually used to refer to Earth, the planet. I actually know what you meant with "real world consequences" but someone who isn't proficient in English might interpret that incorrectly.

>Rediscover 16th century ether
>Pretend it's a breakthrough
The absolute state of modern science

>i dont know what ether is

>be scientist
>make observations
>observation doesn't conform to model
>change model

>be engineer
>make thing based on models made by scientists
>it works

>be consumer
>use thing made by engineer to call scientists stupid
>smugly pat self on back

Just like you don't know what dark matter is

>i dont know what ether is
>i dont know what dark matter is
>but i know that they are the same thing

Attached: 8138050447929577088.png (755x567, 300K)

Damn right, both are memes and don't exist

you really convinced me

>Dunning-Kruger effect: the thread

C O P E
O
P
E

Fair enough.

C O P E
O
P
E

Attached: IMG_20190102_225753.png (1200x847, 23K)

It's just shit tier copypasta. He's been spamming it all week.