I am thinking about buying ThinkPad X220. It is shilled hard af by KLuke Smith, g and Jow ForumsThiknPads

I am thinking about buying ThinkPad X220. It is shilled hard af by KLuke Smith, g and Jow ForumsThiknPads.
But I am not really comfortable with buying 7 year old laptop. Should I get one?

Attached: Lenovo x220.jpg (1366x1032, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/77uxwp/x230_125inch_with_2k_resolution_lol/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on the price but it's a good laptop.

just fucking get it, it's only like $100

you can transform it in modern super freedom machine.

buy ips screen or 2k/4k display
add i7
add 16gb ram
add 2TB ssd hard drive
flash coreboot
add external DAC
add WWAN 3G and atheros WIFI

I Literally just picked up a SL510 for 70 bucks. Has 6 GB of ram and a 240ssd. Duo core at 2.14 or something like that. Pretty good specs for it being 8 years old

I have an x220t and an x200. Neither of them feel used or old, especially on GNU/Linux. However, I suggest looking for different models, as the x220 is popular and is expensive because of this. You can get a T400 or X60 for around $30, in comparison to $200 for x220. They're still good laptops, plus you can Libreboot them.

I got an X61t for $16 recently. Low initial price is important because the whole point of old ThinkPads is that they're highly upgradeable, so it's going to cost like $100 more for the SSD and RAM. Even more if stuff like charger, battery, or caddy is missing. Also go to >>>/tpg/ next time.

Attached: cheappad.png (1158x535, 386K)

>add i7
What how? Aren't they soldered? How do you guarantee it works?

>external DAC
What? there's PCI for that?

>x60,x61t,t400
What can you do on these?

Can you Libreboot / remove IME from the the X61 or the T400? Does it require soldering like the X220?

Apple Macbook Air
You can thank me later

No they aren't. X220 was one of the last thinkpads without soldered cpus. Any G2 socket cpu works with a X220.

You can coreboot those.

you're wrong, x220 are soldered, t420 are not

please die

Text editing and web browsing. Pretty much anything a macbook can, but you know, it's thousands of dollars cheaper, and overall better quality. I use my x200 for school and programming. Old processor is only noticeable when compiling or running bloated IDE's.
>x61
No, only x60
>t400
Yes, Stallman uses a librebooted t400s.

I don't recall libreboot requiring any soldering, but the x60 can be librebooted straight from the terminal with a few simple commands, no need to take it apart at all.

Attached: IMG_20181227_185610.jpg (5312x2988, 2.06M)

So what CPUs can I put on a T420?

Thanks lads. I'm not worried about performance too much, as I mostly live in the CLI. I've looked for X60s but there aren't many of them around. Good to know that the T400 is also an option.

>bloated IDEs
Sour grapes. So your x220 costs less and it does less, no surprise.

I have a very capable rig but I don't use IDEs. They are bloated.

>web browsing
Is performance site dependent?
How well does it handle multimedia?
I know text editing and programing can be done on a toaster.
>Compiling
Get a cheap VPS, and use it to compile source codes.
>X61t
How's the Tablet mode with GNU/Linux?

I have an x220, an old gaming rig and a macbook air. I never use anything other than the x220. The x220 with an SSD and a lightweight OS truly is awesome. The one thing that I find lacking is the screen resolution. I have a docking station set up for when I'm at home, which I really like. There is a mod for installing a better display, but it requires installing a board inside the laptop called a nitrocaster, it's not just as simple as replacing the panel. Some people also have weird issues with it, so I didn't do it.

They're not, you just can't run them or use their features (probably a shitty C programmer).
>capable
>C2D
Uhhhh no?

daily reminder

x220 has worst touchpad

LOL fag

Yeah true. X220 track pad is tiny and awfully textured

Not an issue for me.

I use my thinkpad in the metro while commuting so I use the nipple every time. In home I remote-desktop to it so I can use my two 1920x1200 monitors.

>add i7
what gen????
fucking cunt

>buy ips screen or 2k/4k display
You will never be able to run a 4k monitor on a x220. The display mod piggybacks on the displayport connection and that wont go beyond 2560x1600 because of the Intel HD 3000.

2gen

reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/77uxwp/x230_125inch_with_2k_resolution_lol/

ok, maybe 4k not

So a 8th gen i3 huh

if you have money just buy a new model. you get better cpu, better ram, better ssd, better screen, better battery runtime, better everything. the keyboard ... well ... i prefer the new chicklet lenovo keyboards. the old ones felt so mushy. new ones feel crisp.
only poorfags and mentally ill faggots buy old thinkpads
sent from my x280

lol enjoy your soldered ram cpu battery ssd and ips glow faggot

>Old processor is only noticeable when compiling or running bloated IDE's.
and when idling. picrelated is a modern x280. how many watts is your thinkheater eating again, user?

Attached: 2019-01-04-1546558919_screenshot_1920x1080.png (1920x1080, 2.53M)

>soldered RAM
I have more than enough and it's much much faster than yours.
>cpu, battery
Not a problem, theyre perfect.
>ips glow
Modern displays have no glow. Enjoy your 50 shades of blue displays.

Why a x220? Why not a t420/w520? Way better in all aspects but size.

>enjoy your objectively better things
thanks, I do

i did it
it's ok but I got sent one with the wrong keyboard layout (UK instead of the advertised US)
I went and got myself a replacement keyboard, but it doesn't feel as good.
I also tried to buy a IPS panel to put into but it didn't come with a correct frame to install it properly so I don't use it (I'd have to glue it or something).
Don't make my mistakes op, look very closely at the details if you intend to tailor it to your needs

>I have more than enough and it's much much faster than yours.
and if it breaks you are fucked
>Not a problem, theyre perfect.
and if they break you are fucked
>Modern displays have no glow. Enjoy your 50 shades of blue displays.
lol

This. Retards buy a $200 laptop then spend $600 on it.

I'm not fucked since it's all in 10 year warranty. Standard is 5 years but I paid the $100 premium because I'm not poor as dirt.

Attached: 1541578583911.jpg (1600x326, 202K)

if it breaks I'm covered by Lenovo's 3 year warranty with on site repair & replacement. and if it's after 3 years the thing is written off already and I have just bought a new one. that's because I'm an adul making money and not a shutin faggot who's confused about his gender and lives from social welfare while scavenging trash bins for old laptops

get a T430 and put a quad core 35W i7

Nope, don't see any glow. It's just the LED backlight, user, learn how it works. A x220 is what the W540 looks like but all brown.

>I went and got myself a replacement keyboard, but it doesn't feel as good.
that's because lenovo has 3 or 4 (depending on the model) suppliers for the keyboards and then a bunch of chink copy cats that spam ebay, amazon and alibaba with shitty clones. if you want a good feeling crisp keyboard for your thinkpad you will need to order one from lenovo directly (or one of their official replacement part resellers) and you will have to make sure you get the one from the best supplier (differs per model wich one is best). luckily the suppliers all have their own FRU each so you just need to find out which supplier made the best keyboards for your model. usually it's LiteOn but that might vary

>LiteOn
NMB are great but holy shit when I put my hands on a liteon. It's not even my layout but it has such a nice feedback.

Ram doesn't just randomly blow up you know
probs 0.1% chance

>Get a cheap VPS, and use it to compile source codes.
Not the guy you replied to but I'm kind of interested in this. Won't it fuck up your edit-compile-test workflow?

you could edit and test using vim over ssh. just do vim scp://server-ip//path/to/file

That sounds really unusable... :-/ Thanks for the information anyways.

well vim runs locally in this case so no problem there.

its a fucking masterpiece. as stated above, think of it as a barebone. you pimp the shit out of it and have a beast of laptop for little money.

dont fall for the thinkbabby meme