/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: cuutee.jpg (848x942, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-Battery-4-cell-Inspiron/dp/B07B1FQRRZ/ref=pd_sim_147_3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

New dell s2719dgf monitor stays on a dark gray screen with the PC on. Tried displayports and hdmi. It does somewhat respond to the PC turning off and on by going to a black screen for a second. Is this DOA?

I fell for the LTSC meme and I've got the ISO but there's still 600 MBs left to fill the DVD.
What are some Win10 quintessential programs that I should bring along?
I already got office on another disk so I don't give a shit about that.

Is there anything bad that could happen from using a 1000W PSU on a system that draws an estimated 321W system? Aside from wasting money, at least....

You'll get less than optimal efficiency from it. Power supplies are most efficient at about 50% load. 80+ only imposes efficiency requirements between 20% and 100% load (except for 80+ titanium, which extends it down to 10% load) so running a giant PSU at very low load is inefficient with electricity as well as purchase price.

Other than that, no. It will work and it won't harm your system, so if your friend gave you the PSU that he used to use to run a massive SLI housefire even though your computer has a 65W CPU and a 1050Ti, well go right ahead.

What's a good ftp application for android?
I joined a private tracker and they prefer you limit your IP usage to one computer at a time.

And I have 40g for books and misc to put on my new phone.

Is GNU emacs/Spacemacs considered lightweight? I want a nice looking and lightweight text editor that isn't in a terminal. I have both Vim and Nano and I do intend to use them, but I want to learn to actually code first before learning a complex text editor on top of that and just want something that won't annihilate my RAM like gedit did yesterday. I've been using atom but it seems kinda shit.

If you're trying to access an FTP server, I'm pretty sure ES File Explorer will do that.

How do i create a NAS that can stream to the internet for when I am on the go?

I would like to make a device that you type your name into and a tool code and it unlocks a cabinet door for you to get that tool.

My plan is to use a raspberry pi and a few small electric door locks. My main issue is I would like to do most of the interface in html because I'm retarded and thats what I'm most comfortable with. Honestly I need a lot of help getting started, it would be something that would make my life a thousand times better at work but I know my employer wouldn't pay a cent towards it so I have to do it all at home for cheap.

The door lock says 12V/24V so I'm going to need to wire an outside power source but I also going to need to control several locks so what would be the best way to communicate that to the battery? I assume I would need another control board?

You can use a Raspberry Pi

What kind of lock are you using? How many cabinets are we talking about? Is the device going to be where the cabinets are?

The fuck do you need this?
This will impede production as your workers have to learn this arbitrary useless system to get basic functions to their job, and what ever problems you, as a new programmer,engineer introduce in to the workload
If people are stealing, setup a cheap $20 wifi camera and watch them

Not that guy, but many companies require you to check out your tools, specially if you are taking them offsite, user

Why are computers relatively expensive compared to most common goods?

Are they? How so?

Yeah, so i grab the tool from teh shelf, go to the checkout book, put my name in it and the tool serial and the time. Then i fuck off and do my job.
I dont need some complex computer system for such a basic thing. End of the day, you check to see who hasent returned the tools, easy. Each week the have the new guy inventory teh tools.
You dont need some complex inventory cabinet system written by someone that only wants to use html for everything(LOL)

Well they usually costs hundreds dollars and that's just entry level shit but instead of that I could buy tons of other things

How to host a server on my desktop?
Basically I want it to host all my files. I would prefer being able to save files on my laptop on the desktop without having to transfer it via usb storage.

If you're running windows just network share them.

What GPU should i get to replace my 7970? Currently run 2x 1440 monitors and recently got a cheap 4k tv for just watching youtube and such but the 7970 wont output to all 3 at the same time

>What kind of lock are you using?
It's a small lock that unlocks when current is supplied to it.
>How many cabinets are we talking about?
I would figure I would need at least 10 doors.
>Is the device going to be where the cabinets are?
Yes, I would wire everything directly to it

>will impede production as your workers have to learn this arbitrary useless system to get basic functions to their job
At the moment you have to get a supervisor from across the building to stop everything and unlock a door every time you need a tool. If you're working overtime or they are in a meeting you're fucked for hours and half the time you have to walk around aimlessly looking for someone to unlock the stupid door and watch you take the tool you need.

Attached: electric-door-lock-12v-electric-locks-cabinet.jpg (800x800, 55K)

A computer costs much less than people spend on a phone today. (granted, they are just tiny computers with a screen, but I assume you're talking about the generic desktop computer).
And the computer will last you a lot longer.

Do you have any specific items in mind?

Where does Jow Forums buy its USB flash drives from? I'm not sure what to look for in a high quality one.

Usually whatever store has the cheapest price for the exact one I'm looking for.
Look for the size you want, read/write speeds and connector type.

So your management has zero trust or confiedence in your lower work force?
Sounds like a management issue and not a production issue.
Take the issue up with your management. This is a non issue that THEY are creating.
They cant have only one guy thats responsiuble all day for it. Have them instill the POWER OF THE KEY to someone in the lower work force thats responsible for it but at the same time in the lower work forces space.

Which defragger you guys use or which defragger/maintenance software should I use?

mydefrag

>So your management has zero trust or confiedence in your lower work force?
Not really, the main problem is people hoarding tools and not returning them when they're done so we need a list of names and tools so we know who to go to at the end of the day
>Sounds like a management issue and not a production issue
For the most part I agree with you but they need to discipline people more for not returning tools.

I'm not sure why typing in info to unlock a compartment is such a bad idea though, no matter what that information will need to be recorded anyways and it removes the need of finding someone else

You cant do that in html, html is a front end, you need a backend to handle conversation to the locks.Yoiu need a seperate database to record all this information. You need a connection from the database to the locks to the frontend display. This isnt something you just casually, as a non programmer, create over night to be the star of the company and get a .50c raise.

>hoarding
Simple, anyone found hoarding tools during the day will recieve 1 week of non paid leave
to be executed the next paid day after the infraction is given. For each infraction.additional non paid week is added for every infraction.

You're asking to repave the entire route 66 when you have one crack in it. A simplier solution is the best choice

would i set up owncloud or nextcloud or whatever its called? this would allow me to stream my media from my home computer to my phone?

Fellas I have a problem, I have two pairs of 2x8GB of RAM but whenever I try to use more than a single stick of RAM my PC will not POST, all the individual sticks appears to work just fine but as long as I use more than one stick it simply refuses to boot. Any tips what might cause this? Thanks in advance bros.

Any site that lists mozconfig options more extensively than Mozilla's documentation?

Attached: 1523639385987.png (1500x2121, 2.62M)

about:config

Why is 90s/00s plastic so creaky?

My PC dies minutes after startup.
CPU idle temps at 60 or higher.
CPU temps go to 85+ and then the pc crashes.
Running windows 10
CPU is fx-8350

Tried so far:
>checking background processes, nothing sparks interest
>cleaning insides from dust
>changing thermal paste
>using a spare psu
problem persists, what could be the cause?

What will about:config tell me about compile options?

How big is the performance impact of sparse arrays?
I'm using a struct of arrays in C. But in each array, only some elements are actually of interest - however, all elements that are of interest have the same index i, e.g. I would have to access
foo = a[2] + b[2];
bar = a[1030] + b[1030];
and a bunch of other indices (that are always in parallel).
Let's say I would clean up b in such a way that the following code behaves the same:
foo = a[2] + b[0];
bar = a[1030] + b[1];
Is this code still be able to use SIMD? Or does it actually perform worse because the array indices are not parallel?

can you make big money off a start-up idea without being known?
let's say I have a million dollar idea (I know you think that's bullshit but that's not the point. Please just assume the hypothetical) but I'm incredibly paranoid and don't want to ever be famous or even known
I would have to take steps to preserve anonymity. Is that even possible? Like at some point you could be making so much money that anonymity might be impossible.

Test with a Linux USB to see if the problem persists.
One of the most common problem with AM3+ is motherboards dying because the FX-8350 uses 250W under load.

any suggestions please? I was looking at a 1080 or 1070 ti maybe as i dont really feel like spending $1000 but its hard to bring myself to buy a card that is 2+ years old

Attached: 915voJ1XLHL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 36K)

Overloading the VRMs would cause high motherboard heat, not high CPU heat.

What cooler are you using? Are you sure all your fans are working? How many fans do you have and in what configuration? You may have some kind of positive pressure system forming which is causing the air available to your CPU cooler to not be exhausted and replaced.

CPU heat is irrelevant, is just a common problem because load in cheap motherboards.

Wait a few months, buy a RX 2070 or a GTX 1170 or the new AMD 7nm GPUs.

A 1080 or 2070 would handle most games on high or ultra at 1440p, assuming these are 60Hz monitors. Just assume desktop and/or video decoding won't significantly affect 3D performance which will be the most demanding part of your GPU load, especially considering many GPUs include specialized decoding hardware, and 2D hasn't been a major load on commodity hardware for decades.

Ive already been waiting a while and the fact that this 7970 cant run the 3 displays i have means i kind of need to upgrade now

the 1080, 1070 ti, and 2070 are all pretty much the same price but i cant tell which is the more worth while card. I think the 1080 is the oldest so it makes me think not that card.

Right, but he specifically said the CPU is reaching 85C or higher. AMD doesn't provide a max safe temp for the FX processors but I know from experience most motherboards have set thermal shutdown around 85-90C for those processors, so the shutdowns he is complaining about are most likely due to excessive CPU temps.

Age is less of a consideration than the actual hardware. A 1080 is a larger GPU with faster memory than a 1070 Ti and will outperform it in nearly all situations.

The 2070 is from Nvidia's most recent generation. It will typically outperform the 1080 and it includes Nvidia's raytracing hardware which may or may not actually be useful sometime in the near future. Either way, if it can be had for the same price as a 1080 it is probably the better choice.

alright guess ill go with the 2070 as it only seems $50 more and i cant wait until august for 1170

where do i get windows 10 without spending over $100?

also, any real reason to get one of these over the other or should i just get the slightly cheaper one?

Attached: 2070.png (1355x1348, 763K)

I have new disk and I'm using up to date Windows 10 home - how I can format it to ReFS?

Never buy single fan GPUs(Specially blower GPUs), the EVGA one has really good cooling and is quiet in general.

how do i get rid of these annoying auto completes/autofills on chrome?

Attached: Screenshot_9.png (1598x276, 19K)

how many times do you need to subscribe to a website's newsletter/ email through their website's email API in order to flood their database? I want to try this with multithreaded browser automation. Anyone know about this?

select the one you want to get rid of and then shift + delete

a few billion times until their disk space runs out.

is there a way to not get them to appear in the future?

how about a website's email API like the ones psychics and tarot card readers have on their sites? Surely that could be annoying?

if you do it from one IP they'll just black list it most likely.

if you just want them completely off there should be an autofill toggle in the chrome settings somewhere

Why the balls would you want to use that broken ass file system? Also home doesn't do that, and even if it did, you can't make your boot drive ReeeFS.

Nothing their it department can't delete within a few seconds.
It might earn you a few chuckles there, but otherwise it's pointless.
A good system won't even let you do it and you're locked out pretty quick by either the registration system or the CDN.

I know it. I'm asking here bc maybe someone know workaround it.
Why? I have a lot of data and it's still better than fucking old ntfs.

They're psychics, they don't have IT departments.

True story: once, I did this to a psychic and they added a field called "human-validation" which required the sender to enter "the sum of 6 + 7"...
The question never changed, it was always 6 + 7.

No, it's literally impossible to boot off of it. And no, it's not better. It's glitchy and unreliable. NTFS is fine. If you feel like you need additional features, either look for a tool that helps, get a NAS, or switch to linux, where better file systems have actually been successfully made, instead of half way thrown together and given up on.

ffs you keep bringing up 'you cant boot', but I never said I want it for my system partition. I need it only for file storage...

Btrfs is just as buggy (but they keep developing), and no I don't switch to linux because I need windows for my work.

BTRFS is way ahead of refs. You should think of it as a beta, not something you want to rely on. And MS isn't invested in finishing it anymore.

what do with laptop that has a failing battery? should I aim to replace it or buy a new laptop?

Attached: IMG_20190102_222529.jpg (386x700, 50K)

In situations where airflow inside your case is very limited a blower-style cooler like the one on top will work better, but for most people who are building inside a mid-ATX case where airflow is less of a concern coolers like the one on bottom will be quieter, and since you have multiple fans the GPU is less likely to fry if one of them dies.

Depends on the laptop. Some laptops have an easily removable battery, and replacements are cheap, but for others the battery is hard to replace or extremely expensive. See what the manufacturer charges for a new battery and whether there are generic replacements that you would be comfortable with, and find out how involved the replacement process is. If it's something really cheap like a Toshiba Satellite or one of those Acer netbooks you should probably just replace it though, those were never really designed to be repaired in the first place.

It's a Dell Inspiron 13 5000
I couldn't find the info on the website so I'll try calling them tomorrow

What are you, nuts? You should've preordered a new one long time ago, right after the next model was announced.

Attached: 752847496.jpg (205x499, 17K)

It doesn't look like Dell has the battery for that one listed on their site, is it a 2-in-1? Because if so I think this is what you need:

amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-Battery-4-cell-Inspiron/dp/B07B1FQRRZ/ref=pd_sim_147_3

Battery replacement doesn't look that bad, just remove the bottom cover and remove a few screws and then put it all back together.

yes, I think that could be it
thanks for answering my stupid question user

is there some device that would let me hook a e-gpu up to a MXM slot in a laptop?

Isp doesn't allow to access some websites, nor to change dns on the router. Do i need a vpn?

Can I take the gpu out of my TV and use it for my computer? The gpu on my daily driver has died

You should be able to set DNS settings on your local machine. Set your DNS to Google or OpenDNS or some other third party DNS service.

Mathematically speaking, is zero a finite quantity or is it no quantity at all?

is 2070 actually worth getting? I was watching a linus video on it and he was saying 2070 wasnt worth getting since 1080 was cheaper and 1080 ti was the same price but that doesnt seem to be the case. Honestly it seems like nvidia cards are outrageously expensive. I dont see how a 1080 is still going for over $500

How can I make the Windows task bar true black? Also how can I use a color in the titlebar but not in the window border?

no.

Currently the 2070 is cheaper from many vendors. It will provide similar performance in traditional rendering tasks to the 1080 but it also includes the additional tensor cores and raytracing hardware included in Turing. At those prices I'd choose the 2070 over the 1080.

That's what i already did, but i still can't access few websites, i tried google and cloudflare ones

Y

Is there much of a difference between the different makers? Or editions like ultra or xc gaming? From the amazon page the only spec different seems an extra 10 MHz clock speed

>bought wireless headphones 8 months ago
>they also have a wire when id rather have it plugged in
>works like a charm
>except when it doesnt and sometimes constantly disconnects and reconnects
>thought it was a compatibility issue with my pc...maybe
>fast forward three days ago
>brushed off the dust on my switch to hack it and play gayms
>werks
>two days ago
>all of a sudden joy cons not as responsive
>was playing smash, thought i fucked up the joy cons
>welp
>take out and use my 8bitdo
>same issue
>wtf
>plug it in, works fine
>hm
>yesterday
>playing wireless again, joy cons work
>my sister gets home
>all of a sudden unresponsiveness again
>finally put two and two together
>holy shit im retarded

Wtf is causing these bluetooth issues? My sister only have phones and a ps4 to watch netflox and shit so im guessing thats whats causing the problems. Its odd though since ive had my dualshock 4 for longerband never had issues with it

I'm guessing it might be that my water cooling is fucked. Is there a way to fix that? I've never done a refill before. Should I buy another cooler or go ahead and build a whole new pc instead - I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade for ages. Are old heatsinks/ liquid cooling compatible with new cpus?

Crack open your television and look.

Your sister is emitting 2.4GHz microwaves, call the FCC.

>You'll get less than optimal efficiency from it
Meme.

Different coolers, sometimes you get different clock speeds, and sometimes manufacturers design custom boards with different VRMs and such than the reference. Sometimes reviewers will compare different editions of the same card for cooling performance and noise or see which one performs the best with all other factors being equal, but generally the performance is going to be roughly the same between the different editions.

If it were up to me, the Gigabyte Windforce seems the best option with a factory overclock, a good cooler, and the lowest price.

>the lowest price
EVGA GeForce version is a little lower but also has 2 day delivery from prime

the frequency bandwidth could be oversaturated but idk. are you sure those are the only wireless things in your home?

TVs aren't going to use commodity hardware. Older TVs wouldn't have even had a GPU at all, and modern ones likely have it integrated into an ARM SoC or similarly integrated into the board. Even if it isn't integrated it isn't going to use a common interface like a PCIex16 slot.

like the other guy said, no thats not going to work. Even if you could get it to work it wouldnt be worth it. Just buy the cheapest gpu you can find on amazon

I was looking on PC Part Picker which shows the Windforce on Newegg for $499.99. Newegg typically has better prices for GPUs anyway.

My dead pc had windows 7, my nee pc has windows 10, i desperately miss having the clock and calendar gadgets on the desktop, is there a way to get them on windows 10?

good call. At some point in the past i stopped checking newegg very much as it never really seemed to be much cheaper and the amazon shipping was worth the slight increase if there was one. Looks like that one does have ~100MHz slower default clock (1625 vs 1725)

how to load ubuntu iso on usb?