"Install Linux" they said

"Install Linux" they said.
"It's so stable" they said.
"All you need to do is just one command to install software" they said.

One kernel upgrade later...

Attached: linux_a_best.jpg (2000x944, 742K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/gu2j8JHL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

And the best part of this? I can't even use my keyboard in this BusyBox shell because fuck USB keyboards I guess. Who needs those anyway.

>surprised he can't use a USB keyboard when drivers aren't loaded
The PS/2 Chad vs the USB Virgin. Did you try turning it off and on again?

Attached: supertard.jpg (480x360, 27K)

It's your fault for listening to people on a taiwanese pop music enthusiast forum

I said install GNU/Linux, faggot.

>Did you try turning it off and on again?
Funny.

So I've had 3 kernel versions, 4.15, 4.18, and 4.19. I installed 4.19 today and rebooted, and got this. So I tried another kernel(4.18) and everything worked fine. BUT THEN I ran `update-initramfs -u -k all` and now all kernel versions are fucked in the same way and I can't boot into my debian installation. Fun.

My guess is something that I installed in the recent days fucked up initrd image generation and now I have no idea how to fix it. I've chrooted into the system via systemrescuecd but I have no idea what caused the initrd images to be fucked.

>BUT THEN I ran `update-initramfs -u -k all`
So basically you messed with something you don't understand, and now it's Debian's fault.

Attached: 1546366666778.jpg (1024x576, 81K)

install gentoo

Well, to be exact and precise the upgrade messed up generation of initrd for 4.19, and that fucked booting into that version, but I fucked the older initrd images by running that command later.

Sorry, gentoo isn't well supported by tools like ansible or chef, so no.

>but I fucked the older initrd images by running that command later
Linux kept backups for this exact situation, and you fucked them up. And now you're mad at Linux. Linux dindu nuffin and you're just dumb.

>Linux kept backups for this exact situation
What fucking backups you retard? update-initramfs is ran every time a drivers is installed. It was only by the grace of god that there was no driver included in the upgrades I was installing today so apt didn't run update-initramfs for me and fucked up all initrd images without my involvement at all.

But I guess you don't really know how initrd recreation works in debian huh?

>debian
oh no no no

It literally tells you what the problem is you fucking mongaloid.

I literally can't use the keyboard you fucking mongaloid.

Also, the UUID is correct, the initrd is fucked and for some reaosn it can't find block devices. I even tried setting GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID to true and tried generating grub.cfg with update-grub without UUIDs and that doens't work either.

>tools like chef
Are we cooking with linux now?

lol just go buy a ps/2 keyboard from a thrift store, they won't cost more than 5 bucks kiddo.

if you are running debian what is this "installed new kernel" shit?

apt update && apt upgrade -y

this keeps debian where it should be, and updates kernels when it should.

>apt update && apt upgrade -y
Funny, because that's exactly what I did.

You are assuming my mobo has ps/2.

then it handled initramfs for you and you shouldn't have fucked with it.

>cs student can't even install linux properly

I didn't fuck with it you fuckwit, it was broken FROM THE START. READ MY FUCKING LIPS:

1. I upgraded packages with apt upgrade
2. This upgrade included a kernel upgrade (4.19.0) and apparently no drivers (so it only created intrd for that kernel)
3. After reboot this kernel was FUCKED and wouldn't boot
4. While trying to fix that I introduced the same issue that 4.19.0 had after installation to initrd of other kernels

The issue was caused by the upgrade, and it didn't affect all kernel from the start only because the upgrade did not include any drivers that would call update-initramfs for other versions of kernel.

I've used this installation of debian for ~4 years just fine.

>kernel upgrade
You know enough to damage shit but not enough to fix what you've done

then email linus about the bugs you have found cupcake

You fell for the Debian meme. Install Arch or Void.

>he can't even enable USB legacy emulation in BIOS
lel

>Arch
Fuck of faggot.

Yes, because running apt upgrade should require me to fix things manually.

I might have to.

It's enabled, surprisingly enough.

Can't you boot without an initramfs?

>PS/2 is deprecated and I'll never use it
And then today happened.

Hmmm, worth I try I guess, I can try removing the grub settings that load it.

Driver updates (i presume nvidia) build kernel modules for newest kernel by default. So sorry but you fucked something up by running it for all kernels. Since the disk in the OP image states that UUID "does not exist" you probably went around changing something with the disk mounts before that and the disk has different UUID now. You probably can fix this by manually mounting all disks and regenerating the fstab but that is just my guess from the output it provides.

>you probably went around changing something with the disk mounts before that and the disk has different UUID now
No it doesn't. I've booted into a systemrescuecd and all the partitions are there with the right UUIDs.

>update windows
>it dies
>update lunix
>it dies
best timeline

that's just one of the many debianisms OP. You have to reinstall with every kernel update.

chroot into it from rescue post related parts of history from the last boot that worked. you can cut/censor parts that are irrelevant, im curious what else couldve happened

I think this is the last successful one:
pastebin.com/gu2j8JHL

Delete and start over from scratch OP, you fucked up a step.

funny and red pilled

>finds issue with Linux
>knows basically what happened and where to go/who to contact to identify and fix the source of the problem

>meanwhile on Windows
>update, reboot, oops blue screen, time to reinstall, RIP all my files

>busybox
Isn't that supposed to be used as a fucking Docker container? What the fuck?

You fell for the meme, you deserve it.
Faggot.

That's why you should unironically use Arch Linux. Arch Linux upgrades rarely fuck up this badly, even if you run retarded commands.

Busybox is a tiny set of unix tools all collected into one binary. Distros often use it at a very early stage in the booting process because it's fast and simple.

Read the thread, OP messed with the OS, you can fuck up any OS doing that. OP should have posted in one of the threads dedicated to help and instead decided to create a bait thread, good luck finding someone that helps him with that attitude.

>OP messed with the OS
>doing apt upgrade is "messing with the os"
how about you read the thread?

>Debian
Install real distribution, like Fedora or OpenSUSE, or Ubuntu.
Those are at least used in business .

what do you think -k all means?
you should stay away from Linux, just buy a Mac, you are too dumb and arrogant not to shot yourself on the foot and the complain about it, just kys insufferable idiot

>what do you think -k all means?
It means to select all kernel versions.

>Ubuntu
>shitting on Debian

Ubuntu is fixed Debian.
At least it doesn't break as often.

It means you shouldn't use commands as root if you can't fix the mess, a simple backup of the working intiramfs files would suffice to revert your retarded mistake from a livecd
you just needed to specify the kernel version to be sure and you instead chose of fucking up all your backup kernels, if you are so dumb you should have just used an old kernel versions and wait for an updated kernel package to fix this type of bug
but I seriously doubt a bug exists in the first place, you probably derped some modules import since the last init ramdisk generation using other commands like that without having a fucking clue of what you were doing

>but I seriously doubt a bug exists in the first place, you probably derped some modules import since the last init ramdisk generation using other commands like that without having a fucking clue of what you were doing
Nope. I only did apt upgrade and rebooted. But I guess you can't fathom that Linux can be fucking shit.

dumb copypaster

How much of a meme is the xorg.conf meme?

LOL HE FELL FOR THE FREETARD POORFAG PENGUIN OS MEME

Did you run out of space on your boot partition?
Did you update your grub.cfg or the equivalent for whatever bootloader you use?

Everything after Linux 2.4 was a mistake

Yeah, you should've installed BSD.

This is a good thread. People who blindly paste commands should be shot

This

For your information I didn't paste a single command. An upgrade did it. But keep pretending Linux is flawless.

BTW, I just reinstalled. I want to see if I upgrade again to the same kernel version if i will get the same issue.

FUCKING LOL

I just reinstalled Debian, as I said in . brand new Buster installation. upgraded to the same kernel(4.19.0) AND GUESS FUCKING WHAT.

BUT OH NO, IT MUST HAVE BEEN SOMETHING I DID.

Fucking linux cultists, I tell you.

Attached: linux_a_best_AGAIN.jpg (944x2000, 956K)

stop wasting your time with ganoo/shit moron

Have you tried booting up a live system, chrooting into your installation, then running "mkinitcpio -p linux"?

No such thing as mkinitcpio in Debian.
Also, yes, I have chrooted. I don't know how to fix it.

At least the kernel that comes during installation works fine, so I can boot into that fine, but the new one just refuses to find root device.

>OP messed with the OS
Messed the OS huh? Look here you fucking retard: Fresh installation, same issue. Fuck you.

Buster is supposed to be the testing branch at the moment.

Please report your bug.

I intend to. I'm collecting info so it's not that "It's broken plz fix".

perhaps you should consider not using that kernel?

>install the testing branch
>complain that it breaks
Great thread OP

Perhaps you should read the thread? It's not the kernel. It's something about how initrd is generated that fucks up ever new kernel I install.

Werks on my gentoo

just use Manjaro bro. It has a stable GUI based kernel manager.

Attached: kern.png (896x628, 71K)

Just get a macbook.

Hey, OP, I'm glad you finally managed to add yourself to the sudoers file.

>finds issue with Linux
>go to google to identify and fix problem

>meanwhile on windows
>go to google to identify and fix problem
i fail to see your point

>he doesn't report the bug with the patch that fixes the problem

get a grip

If only I knew what the problem was I'd be happy to find a solution, but I can't even investigate because my keyboard doesn't work after it fails to boot.

So I can't really do shit.

build another image, retard.

>troubleshooting advice on linux
>the problem is with X program, run Y command to fix it, check these docs to prevent it from happening again

>troubleshooting advice on windows
>lol have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Oh, if only I thought of that... oh wait. I did, and that changed nothing.

Just use arch, faggot.

just plug in a ps/2 keyboard

maybe this distro ain't your speed kiddo.
start with a *buntu and a graphical installer.
and..maybe, just maybe, read the fucking documentation beforehand.

How did you build another image? Show me what you copied and pasted.

>have you tried turning it off and back on again
hey man, you were just talking to the wrong people

...already said no ps/2.

Funny that you say that, I actually have plenty of experience with linux. Which is why I never fell for the "you broke it" gaslighting from Jow Forums.

I used update-initramfs.

Never affected me. Only time I've ever had a problem with xorg configuration is trying to get the nouveau drivers to arrange my multi-monitors and not have them go to sleep permanently when away from the keyboard for too long. I ended up having to manually create a config file even though xorg is supposed to just work automatically.

I did that over a year ago, and never touched it since.

I was being ironic tb.h
even if you doesn't give that much info, debian's bug team is great on fixing shit.

You should have waited for kernel 4.19 to get into stretch-backports tho. Or, try the latest kernel from Fedora which is the sane thing to do if need to try the latest kernel/firmware

I'm not sure, but I think I saw a similar bug report on debian, kernel 4.19 as well, It may be fixed by now lol

>>He still thinks ps/2 ports on modern mother boards is still directly wired to the cpu and not running on a USB port to ps2 chip

X completely broke on a kernel update. I use wayland now, and I have almost no problems. I can't play vidyas. My wayland x drivers sucks. Other than that I have no issues. Actually, it's a lot better than X, no tearing and smoother videos.

>people not reading the thread
It broke because OP is using the testing branch of Debian. If you don't want shit like this to happen, don't run testing.

>...already said no ps/2.
don't buy a gaymer motherboard next time my man
>I used update-initramfs.
with what flags

>I used update-initramfs.
How? What kernel were you using?

you say you have experience, yet act surprised when you fucked around with something and shit broke.
then make a thread shitting on linux.
there's plenty of documentation out there your experienced mind should be able to shift through.
you did break it, own up to it.

>Funny that you say that, I actually have plenty of experience with linux. Which is why I never fell for the "you broke it" gaslighting from Jow Forums.
So experienced that you can't install Debian. One of the easiest distros to install.

Attached: 1534190554683.jpg (400x496, 37K)

I've been running Arch on multiple systems for six years and never had my X break on me. Never had to use a xorg.conf either, everything just werks.
He reinstalled the OS and ran into the same issue, so either it's a problem with the distro, or it's a problem with his hardware.

>One of the easiest distros to install.
Not according to torvalds.

>Buster
there it is, I was waiting for this the entire thread. You’re literally using the testing branch, which debian does not recommend using, and complaining when it breaks. Read the fucking manual next time.

At first I just used -u, but later tried just removing with -d and recreating with -c, though I expected that would do the same thing as -u.

The issues started with 4.19.0-1, but after I ran update-initramfs -u -k all the older kernels started having the same issue, which indicates to me that the issue isn't actually with the kernel itself, but with how initrd is created.

Read the thread, I've used this system for over 4 years. Now reinstalled, works again, but I'm usaing 4.9.0 which comes with Stretch installation.

>a motherboard that doesn't have ps/2 is a gaymer motherboard
Guess any motherboard made after the year 2005 is a gaymer motherboard.
>you need to buy a keyboard specifically to fix your retarded os' problems
So this is the power of linux...

It just werks, guys. Except when it doesn't, which is most of the time.

>Guess any motherboard made after the year 2005 is a gaymer motherboard.
I have a gaymer keyboard from 2013 and it has a ps/2 port, so I guess just don't buy shitty motherboards?

it wouldn't be hardware nor distro if it was working before attempting to mess with whatever you're choosing to mess with. if the baseline is reinstalled then i see your point