So a colleague at work left

so a colleague at work left.

gave me a cisco catalyst 2950 and some other horseshit legacy products.

wat do?

Attached: cisco.png (603x231, 147K)

Just toss it in the trash. If you don’t already know what to do with it, it’s either going to waste space or waste electricity.

they're only worth like $20 on ebay, there's not much you can do except recycle it

noise pollution too

Replace the fans with some noctua ones wire a house and sell it as 100 fast switch with a slight upgrade.

recycle

Practice networking? Not much you can really do with a switch other than segment your networks.

i was thinking of using it to study cisco cli and configuration desu.

i dont see any use for it beyond really low end labs/study scenarios.

Why when you can emulate it in a VM?
You're better off just selling it off to somone that needs their house wired.
Now that would be good practice and a good chunk of change.

Really? I just did my house, how much can you charge /hr?

I charge around 30€/H but I'm a certified technician in my country and I usually tell people it's better to make an "Social Agreement" on the price where I "Settle" for a certain sum and or service.

Besides you can always buy the stuff yourself and resell it at a modest premium.

physically interacting with something ties a stronger mental knot than just fucking around with a software based CLI.

plus it's cooler to have an actual piece of equipment to fuck around with.

regardless, i understand that i could do the same shit virtually.

Throw it away unless you have some ethernet needs.

It's litteraly just metal and looks cool. It's going to get in the way.

I kinda understand what you mean but hardware is a pain in the ass when it comes to implementing things it also test your mind and stuff but fuck me the amount of times I've had to to fucking redo everything because I diden't notice a network cable or a console cable where fubar despite being new is fucking annoying.

yeah i absolutely agree with you. it's a pain in the ass. but i have always found that to be one of the benefiting factors in learning something. if you have to slug it out with some bullshit proprietary console cable for an hour you're never going to forget what the fuck that stupid bitch actually is,

Yeah but don't forget that in an enterprise environment you usually have at least 5-10 spares of everything.
So you don't get to fumble with all this BS.

sure, but i already work in vendor support for a business critical network appliance.

my interest here is more hobby related i guess. though i should probably learn more cisco.

There isn't much to learn to be honest unless you're doing big networks.

yeah i guess i'm just trying to convince myself not to junk the thing

Just wire someone else's house and get a premium on it and you will always know that it will be used for the remainder of its life.

Just to add that's what I did with my previous switches.

>mfw my HP procurve 2650 with replaced fans is still going strong despite only costing me pennies and 2 fans.

What do you need to get certified? Are you a sparky?

Nah my country has a certification for network instalations called ITED anyone with 2 inches of forehead can do it provided you pay the fees and the recurring fee every year and take the test with every new release of the certification.

How do you get business? I'm interested in doing it on the side.