/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 7d2eb211339ad533a16e3e13e0839698.jpg (2480x3508, 2.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
amazon.com/Plugable-Headphone-Microphone-Aluminum-Compatible/dp/B00NMXY2MO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
mathaudio.com/headphone-eq.html
amazon.com/Creative-Performance-Headphone-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B00EZT7RE4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
raalrequisite.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

$4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

LOL, Stax headphones are literally audiophool garbage

Attached: 15456591310290.png (251x242, 114K)

amazon.com/Plugable-Headphone-Microphone-Aluminum-Compatible/dp/B00NMXY2MO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Is this fine? Im guessing anything will do. I can get a dac or whatever you cool kids call it if some have 3.5mm ports. Did I mention im new to this?

>I dont use parametric EQ

Attached: 1510177834930.png (403x448, 53K)

>holocausts your mud-fi snaphones

Attached: beyer macht frei.jpg (1274x716, 53K)

>treble heavy shit
No thanks I can buy bright Superlux headphones for 30 dollars.

>goes deaf from beyertreble

Are you the MMX 300 user? It seems like that should be fine.
God I wish that were me.

Asking from last thread.
Skullcandy shipped regular crushers instead of 360. I'm planning on keeping it unless 360 is 3x better since I got them for around 100 bucks. Anons who own these please chime in?

I am. I was foolish enough to assume my silly rig would have something as basic as a mic port on the back. Im not exactly an audiophile so I think an adapter will do for me, but maybe I should look into a soundcard first.

Yeah I know but then how the fuck could his friend hear him anyway?

Those feet are beautiful.

Babies first non-bose decent quality and reasonably priced headphones?

Your call. That USB might do it for now, but I'd recommend getting a DAC or a soundcard.

AKG/Beyers/Senns in the 150-200 range.

hd58x, nothing else

Maybe he set the audio to draw from that port anyway. Can you do that?

Any cheap entry level DAC that would work with a mic port too?

Is there a way to have a physical mixer for pc with 2-5 "knobs", like program a , b ,c or just desktop and communications sound levels?

That shouldn't be possible afaik. I mean windows shouldn't list that port in the input sound device list. Prebuilt systems will never ceases to amaze me.

So hd58x or HD 600 or hd6xx? Are they all the same?

Don't know about DACs with mic input, but most soundcards seem to include them. An interface with a mic jack input is probably your best bet, but I don't know much about those.

those arent a real upgrade to the hd58x, the 58x is just a smoother hd600 with a little more bass

AD900X, K612, DT880, K702 (or variants), HD600 (or variants).

Last thread there was an user who rated the 600 above the 6XX. Dunno about the 58X though I've heard the 500 series tend to have better bass.

Shure SRH1840 is never mentioned here. is it any good?

Is the sound leak really that bad?
I don't want people hearing my weeb music

cute drawing of me

amen brother

Attached: beyerremorse experience.jpg (1896x1165, 604K)

if you are wearing outside or wearing with a bunch of people around, its is a big concern.

Damn, all of these are "open back".
Is this to be expected of all audiophile headphones these days?

It sounds cool in theory, but I really can't have people hearing what I'm hearing.

Which drivers are technically superior? Electrostats? Planars? Fancy dynamics like Tesla?
Not talking about FR tuning but the ability reveal, separate, etc.

DT1770 then

>Electrostats?
>$4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

I was browsing foobar components and found this mathaudio.com/headphone-eq.html

Anyone use it or have any opinions?

How is the massdrop return policy? I'm gonna buy all 3 hd5xx 600 and 6xx and return the ones I don't like. Amazon will take it for free if it is fulfilled by them

poorfag here, any recommendations for something around $120? Needs to be closed back and fairly comfy

No returns
if broken they'll give you a new one

Electrostats have the least amount of weaknesses when it comes to sound

Too much distortion and they're terrible at sealing on listeners' heads. They're probably the most neutral headphones along with its sibling the SRH-1440. I would get the HD600 though, it's what Shure sounds closest like, without the distortion and the HD600 seals well.

You can't really compare them like that, sure planars and electrostatics have lower distortion than dynamic headphones but it's past the threshold of audibility. The best thing you can do is just find a headphone that you enjoy.

It's like asking which is better, tubes or solid state? Believe it or not, most properly designed tube amps sound the same as solid state amps because they are past the threshold of audibility.

Mackie MC-250

And still they sound worse than dynamic mid-fi, lmao

I hate STAX as much as the next guy but please stop spamming this. I tried them in Akiba and they were bright pieces of shit. Spamming this just makes /hpg/ shitpost even more.

Damn......... how am I supposed to audition the never ending variation of hd6XXs? There are like gorillion versions

The original 770 might be a better option.

If you absolutely want an neutral signature, get the HD600. If you want a neutral headphone with a hint of warmth then get the HD650. It's an easy choice. A lot of people prefer the HD650 for longer sessions since they tend to be less fatiguing. HD600 is best for autists that want pure accuracy.

Attached: staxrbetter.png (1164x392, 47K)

I'm talking hypothetically, one technology has to be superior somehow.

Ok where do the new 660 58x and ya know other versions fall in?

>no bass
>muddy highs
how exactly are those "neutral"?

amazon.com/Creative-Performance-Headphone-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B00EZT7RE4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Is this good?

Repent

Attached: enlightenstax.png (1200x756, 597K)

Attached: 1546498796183.png (1027x1369, 784K)

the best at the moment are electrostats as the mass of the diaphragm is so small and the magnetic field so strong that there's barely any internal resonance so they have the smother FR overall
last year RAAL unveiled their new headphone using ribbon tweeter tech that may be better than E-stats but is still too early to tell

What do you guys use to do EQ? I've started playing with EqualizerAPO but it seems really difficult to just easily work out what you need to correct and how to make the adjustments.

For now I'm using a preset from Headphones.com

Then why do they sound worse than mid-fi?

>nostaxers still pushing this cope

Attached: cringe.jpg (558x400, 42K)

>K612
Is there anything that really separates the K612 and the K712, besides the removable cable on the K712? The frequency response graphs seem pretty similar.

the massive distortion spike in the 612's midrange
is it any coincidence that headphones pushed by harmantards are complete garbage

>go to headfi for the first time
>itcan'tbethatbad.flac
>"The treble issues of my HE5 appear to be similar to the treble issues described in the HE5SE review. Those issues were taken care of by a Canare L-4E5C or Canare L-4E6S cable"

is this what all other audiophile forums are like?

Attached: 1509566208331.jpg (377x500, 56K)

>is this what all other audiophile forums are like?
Yes

They have ascended to a greater level of understanding.

sbaf is worse

SBAF is better for gathering actual information, because there's a good amount of measuring fags, who do proper measurement then proceed to say "lol, it doesn't sound like it measures, in good or bad".

This is stupid, the HD650 is the 2nd most neutral option in the lineup. Why are audiophiles so fucking deaf?
Because you're deaf.
Again it comes down to the specific headphone in question. In the end it's preference. The distortion doesn't matter in real world listening. Things like separation and clarity can be attributed to the frequency response.
I think the K612 sounds better but it has the potential to lack bass due to its inconsistent sealing. K712 has a lot more bass, not a fan of the K712, but it's a safer option.

>raalrequisite.com/
Alright, we need some audioboomer to try these out!

PSA: YOUR OPINION IS WORTHLESS IF YOU HAVE NOT HEARD THE HEADPHONES

Attached: 1539668759905.jpg (612x408, 29K)

>the best at the moment are electrostats as the mass of the diaphragm is so small and the magnetic field so strong that there's barely any internal resonance so they have the smother FR overall
>smoother FR overall
>smoother
Good joke.

Attached: STAX SR-404 - raw.png (640x444, 58K)

Bros..im gonna get a Razer headset help me choose

actually, objectivism is a scam and nobody understands anything about headphones

For the STAXfags who talk pseudoscience all day, here's what an actual smooth response looks like.

Attached: Sennheiser HD650 - raw.png (640x444, 56K)

what is this? looks like crap

I always knew that Stax is a shitty meme

Headphones that BTFO stax.

filename

>This is stupid, the HD650 is the 2nd most neutral option in the lineup. Why are audiophiles so fucking deaf?
>Because you're deaf.
you can't read graphs as well as you think you do. your standard curves are not accurate. each person has a different hrtf and ear canal. each person has a preferred genre.

i almost forget, you need at least a 50WPC at 4ohm amp to drive them, they recommend 125WPC to get the full potential out of them

These are pretty new, right? Do you have a pair? I can't find too many reviews on them, though what I can find is really positive.

this crap costs $300? what the heck

No shit, they're an average but even so the HD660S has less horn resonance than the HD650 and HD600. It's objectively less neutral no matter what way you look at it.

Harman has already proven this false, that's how they came up with the Harman response. They have taken many listeners from every age group, ethnicity and culture, from well trained ears and pleds.

why does it matter which mudcannon sounds better when stax sounds better than all of them

>It's objectively less neutral no matter what way you look at it.
oh, okay. what would I want if I listened at a very low listening level then? ;)
>They have taken many listeners from every age group, ethnicity and culture, from well trained ears and pleds.
it's an average and not suitable for everyone

Because STAX sounds worse than them:

>Harman
Happy Hanukkah!

>oh, okay. what would I want if I listened at a very low listening level then? ;)
Why are you bringing loudness contours into this discussion? Are you implying that you should use a V-shaped headphone for lower level listening? Nothing is wrong but that, but it's not accurate.

Im pretty sure a hd800s that is EQ for the Harman target curve will sound better than stock stax. Low distortion and ringing can only do so much

is stax the second one? that one looks like crap

>Are you implying that you should use a V-shaped headphone for lower level listening?
i'm implying that there is no such thing as accuracy and neutral is only a preference curve not objectively superior due to the circle of confusion

eq to your preference, maybe
eq to someone else's head? LOL

stupid graphreaders

>it's an average and not suitable for everyone
Of course some dumb ass like you has probably never heard the Harman response, it's literally as natural as it gets

>stax sounds better than all of them
>$4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

Attached: 15282831694830.jpg (745x480, 42K)

>y-you've never heard it so your opinion doesn't count!
LMAO the hypocrisy. look at this dumb audiophool

>needs EQ to compete
kek

It is you who's deaf, the whole HD 6xx lineup and everything below can't resolve for shit. They may be good for your brickwalled music precisely because they mud it up.
Any boomer up for this quest?

why are you linking jewish propaganda

>resolve, mud
Back to head-fi with those buzzwords, kiddo.

We all hear the same, retard.
You can't give me any research that says certain people like v shaped sound signatures or that some people like beyerdynamic treble, Harman already did this and found everyone preferred the Harman the same sound signature and that's the most natural sound signature that exists.

But I have a feeling that you don't really have much experience with different headphones or speakers for that matter