/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420), quadcore compatible, classic keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/T530; W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 10_gesamt3.jpg (1024x768, 262K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/community/Latitude/Latitude-e7240-processor/td-p/6176252
youtube.com/watch?v=vfONckOPyaI&t=13s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

lolis

you are a legend... not even 1min

Attached: t.jpg (216x215, 53K)

Please respond

stop bullying island keyboarbs

serves them right for having a worse layout

I put an island keyboard in the OP, you're welcome

I had a similar problem with my T420s, the Bluetooth module was loose. I'm not sure how similar the T420 and T420s are internally, but it sadly required pretty much a complete teardown in my case.

Having used a HHKB for years, I don't miss the extra keys at all.

Happy to report that I've been using my chinkpad T460 for 2 years and have had no problems.
Was worried it wouldn't be as good as my T420, but I think it's actually holding up better.

I upgraded the CPU of my t430 to an i7–3632QM and now it won't turn on and the bios screen doesn't even show up. The power button lights up green but nothing else happens. I've tried putting back and original fan and CPU and still nothing.
Please help

First for **30 keyboards suck.

Hello, I am owner of R51, R61e, SL410, T61, and X230.

Gave my sister the SL410 to replace a dying macbook and it works great.

Gave my mom the T61 with ssd upgrade for web browsing and it works great.

I have an ssd in the R51, and just reinstalled debian 6 from an old cd to see that it still works.

I really like the OG style and low resource usage but it is using kernel version 2 and surely has security issues. I'm thinking about installing gentoo to be systemd-free and hopefully minimal enough to use this machine for some light tasks. Anyone have other ideas or suggestions for this single-core, 32-bit Pentium M machine? THANKS

Another question: what thinkpads are best for avoiding the various Intel/ME hardware backdoors? Perhaps my R51 is my best choice for this as well?

did you actually use them or do you just parrot opinions of others?

Best thinkpad for 3d eroge? Preferably windows 7 and egpu is okay

I own a x220 and x230

Attached: chinkpads.jpg (4032x3024, 3.08M)

this is a seriously dangerous dude - beware

>buy used thinkpad from ebay
>overpay
>get thinkpad knowing it least it wont be full of grime and dust because i overpaid
>thinkpad arrives and inside its coated in weird grime/filth and dust

why its a 2013 model how do you even allow this to happen ive bought x60s's in better shape

I use both a T440p and an X61t on a daily basis and going from the X61t keyboard to the T440p keyboard always ends up in a "what the fuck" feeling, mostly because the X61t keyboard has 4 keys that i use a lot which don't exist in the nu-keyboard and the del/end/home/pgup/pgdn keys are separated instead of neatly grouped together in the 7th row.
/blog

E585/E485

Yes or no?

Devuan has a 32-bit version I think. Sadly most distros are dropping 32-bit.

is it possible to upgrade X220 wireless card to a free as in freedom one without corebooting?

don’t underestimate how dirty China is. It’s filthy.

the laptop didnt come from china afaik, it came from a dude on the east coast i think

>carrying a gun anywhere so he can kill himself whenever he feels like it
based

same shit

>see new listed cheap ThinkPad
>it's 1366×768
Fuck my shit up senpai. This is literally everyday for me.

just replace the display

I own a Dell Latitude E7240. It has i5-4210U CPU and I was wondering if I could possibly upgrade to a better CPU and if possible, would it be worth the cash and what is the best possible replacement?

This. Visit the Thinkpad forums (if chantards knew it existed they'd not be in these threads except to enlighten others!) for all the detail/instructions/part numbers required.

Pads are for people eager to take advantage of their particular qualities. Go learn how. I promise fun.

>ulv shit
lel no you cant

dell.com/community/Latitude/Latitude-e7240-processor/td-p/6176252

Google is your friend.

>Carrying a Glock

have you ever considered the new CZ P10C?

Well, shit. Thank you.

Nice glock & wesson model 1887a1

Attached: IMG_20190104_195819.jpg (2688x1512, 618K)

I thought about it, but I haven't gotten a chance to try one out yet.

holy frick does anyone have a good listing for a t420 battery? I bought a genuine one and it was dead on arrival. had to return it

i bought an e450, but the battery is stuck at 95%, when plugged in it says "plugged in, not charging", wat do?

Yesterday i compared the T420 768 screen vs 900 one, it turns out 768 has way better viewing angles and resolution difference is neglible since viewing angles on my 900 screen are utter shit.

Just give up on OEM TN screens, buy a model that has FHD IPS mod and just go for it.

Do all of the T440p i7 laptops come with the Nvidia graphics?

>buy a model that has FHD IPS mod
like the t420

no

Arguably, T420 has a moded T420S mod. Sometimes there are flickering issues, sometimes it works.
It is on my buy list ofc, but not right now.

Also there is Alienware TN glossy mod which apparently has great viewing angles colors and shit, 1600x900 i think. But its not available anywhere and every ebay seller sells "part compatible with said screen", you buy that model number and just receive any generic 14" screen.

>buy used thinkpad from ebay
>overpay maybe
>get thinkpad knowing it'll have gouges in screen and gross keyboard
>get a unit with a clean keyboard and some small hotspots on screen instead
>includes a 90w PSU instead of 65
everything went better than expected

nice glock...
youtube.com/watch?v=vfONckOPyaI&t=13s

Got given an r50e with a shit battery. Are eBay batteries any good?

a friend suggested me to buy a thinkpad
so far a x220 or a t420 seems like a good idea given my requirements and budget
however I still can't decide what do I get
so
>whats the difference between a t420 and a t420s
>is the t420 display that bad
>is the x220 default display good
>how do I choose between the three

the s
yes
no
very carefully

>whats the difference between a t420 and a t420s
Slimmer size vs socketed CPU
>is the t420 display that bad
Yes

I think internally they are pretty much the same, so the difference would be mostly size and available ports.

420s is thinner i think,

okay but seriously
x220 or t420s
and can I replace the hdd with a bigger (storage, not volume) one from a different machine without needing coreboot and stuff

Try reseating the ram maybe? Otherwise, you may have accidentally shorted it out or something...

Is a T410 or T510s usable in 2018? I want that sweet 16/10 but maybe Nehalem is too old

Do you have the Lenovo Vantage installed, it manages the charging thresholds. 95% max charge is better than 100 for the battery anyway

x220 if you care about your eyesight.

Bought a relatively new T430 recently with the dedicated nvidia 5400 and 1600x900 screen for $200. Being new to thinkpad I thought this was the right choice but after using for a week I realized I should have spent a little more to get a W530. The T430 has a terrible fan and heatsink setup that's even worse than a 2012 Acer Aspire I upgraded from. I don't know if it has to do with the 65w adapter that comes with it. A 135w adapter is coming in the mail and hopefully will improve things. Under light-medium usage the dual core i5 gets about 46F but quickly shoots up to 65 as soon as I open more than two video tabs so a i7 quad core upgrade doesn't seem realistic.

Think I'll just buy the W530 anyway and use the smaller one for travel or light tasks.

Attached: DSC_0004.jpg (1500x843, 319K)

the nvidia dgpu is a huge nuisance in that thing
disable it in the bios and turn the fan off + custom curve with tpfancontrol or something

I just turned it off, doesn't seem like it made much difference. This is my tpfan profile. Ideally it would be better to have it high as I don't mind the noise but I don't want the fan to wear out quickly.

Level=38 0
Level=40 1
Level=47 3
Level=52 4
Level=61 6
Level=70 64

I have an x131e and an x230tablet

I'm considering getting a w530 or a t530, is the i7 prone to over heating like I hear on an xXX0 series? How easily can I change the thermal paste? I'm looking for an incomplete laptop to cut costs since I already have an ssd to spare, but I eventually plan to buy the 2nd HDD caddy to replace the dvd, and maybe an msata just for the fun of it.
I imagine a 1080p upgrade is going to get costly if it isn't bought like that.

How much for a t530 with i7? 200,maybe, plus 80 for 1080 screen and another 20 for the caddy? does either the w530 and t530 come with a 1080.

how the fuck can I start using the fingerprint reader on my t470 ? I tried installing/reinstalling drivers, it just doesn't show up in device manager.

is it enabled in bios

yupe it is

Attached: bst.jpg (1523x960, 280K)

Just bought a faulty T60, previous owner saw smoke coming out of the vent and after that it wouldn't post, any ideas of what that could be? Worst case scenario is I have to buy a new motherboard, which isn't that bad.

If I get a pre-chiclet keyboard ThinkPad, can I rice the keycaps by swapping in other ones? Or at least just swap in new ones? The x220 I'm looking at looks nice, but the keycaps look all gross and shiny and used. It's like getting a girlfriend with her ex's name tattooed on her ass.

Which do you prefer

No signs of 'unknown device' or anything? Did you open the laptop before(maybe the connector became loose)?

Also, isn't that a T420 or something? A T470 looks like an ultrabook and have 7th gen U CPUs

x220 by far.

Doesn't seem to over heat on my work laptop (W530) but I'm not using it for graphically or CPU intensive tasks, just a bunch of Visio drawing and SSH sessions (Sysadmin faggotry)

nope, nothing like that, nor biometric stuff in device manager. I haven't opened it (yet) and it's still in warranty.

it's my old t430s

Attached: some-people-are-just-monsters-26-photos-4.jpg (600x803, 81K)

What is the recommended replacement for those shit screens that T420 have?
I mean, what the fuck? The hardware is top notch except for that fucking screen.

comfy.

my t450s finally got home but i'm running w10 atm, it got an SSD and i have no experience with SSDs before. I know it shouldn't be any kind of trouble cause of SSDs work and such but could there be any issues with making a linux partition and having both systems for dual boot? I'm pretty sure someone will have experience with this here so yeah

My A485 has the following in device manager:

USB\VID_06CB&PID_009A

Synaptics WBDI

Have you tried manually installing the drivers instead of from Vantage?

If everything else fails, it may be a hardware issue. Was it the case whereby it works before the reinstallation but became missing after the fresh install? Sometimes (occasionally) I experience botched Windows 10 installs on perfectly new hardware. The only way around it is to reinstall unfortunately.

yupe, i tried manually downloading and installing the synaptics metallica touch fingerprint driver, nothing changes. In the driver there is some kinda of a pre-desktop auth tool, which when started says that i must first connect a fingerprint reader.

And yes, I suspect I'd have to reinstall windows. I want to move to LTSC anyway :/

what is the easiest way to libreboot t400 if i have a raspberry pi?

>He fell for the chinkpad meme

My T420s was filled inside with a whiteish dust residue of what I think is powdered milk.

A very important difference is that the T420s has USB3.0 while the T420 does not. BUT the T420s has shit battery life, with a shitty "slim" battery, very rare and expensive to find genuine vs. the far more widely available (and cheap) T420 battery.

How's your AMD thonkpad? How are thermals and battery life?

What do you guys think about the SL series? I just picked up a SL510 with a 240ssd and 6gb of ram for 70 bucks

Left headphone/earphone not working on my x220. Used to work but just now tried with a bunch of different headphones.
Anyone else have or had a similar issue?

Oldest thinkpad to get that can play 1080p 60fps youtube vids smoothly?

T420 probably, T400 or T410 if you use mpv.

T520 with a 1080p display

What is mpv?

>How's your AMD thonkpad? How are thermals and battery life?

Battery life is ok I guess. Definitely significantly shorter than T480 with the same battery config because Ryzen Mobile(Mine's 2500U) sucks tons of power during idle.

As for thermals, it's again just ok. Never exceeds 70 centigrade because of STAPM limits (aka AMD version of power limits). Will hit Power throttling way before thermal throttling. You CANNOT undervolt btw--throttlestop doesn't work. Multicore Cinebench is lackluster at low 500s due to the limits. My 8550U conversely can hit 670 to 700 after an undervolt.

The chassis is just a T480 case, nothing more to add there.

Finally, VLC still doesn't work. Shit's still broken on Ryzen Mobile. Basically you have to resort to alternative software in several cases. No such problems on my Ryzen desktops and Intel laptops running the same software.

>Battery life is ok I guess
can you give us some numbers ?

I know everyone with an XX20/30 series goes for the 9-cell batteries with the nubby bit at the back, but if I want to keep my laptop as small as possible, are the 6-cell batteries' life really that bad?

yo what could be at fault if my laptop sometimes shuts down immediately when I put it on my lap
there's nothing out of the ordinary in the logs
it's an x230

mm, rather disappointing then. I like what AMD is doing with desktop CPUs but there's no denying that Intel has lead in mobile CPUs, with really superior thermals and battery life. Let's hope the success they're having with desktop CPUs gives them some cash flow to invest in mobile CPUs.

And why doesn't VLC work? Driver issues? Windows or Linux?

hdd ?

it's an ssd and it's recent

What numbers do you want?

My current config is as follows:

Batteries set to stop charging after 80%, and start charging below 40%

1080p touchscreen, 2500U

If I spend the entire day (5AM to 12AM, exclude 3 hours for breakfast/lunch/dinner) watching videos/browsing forums I will probably need to charge it twice, with the charging limit considered. Of course I have other things to do so I probably need to charge it once to last a whole day. However, I start charging once the 72Wh battery hits ~25 to 35%. The 72Wh battery is used first before the 24Wh one.

Windows 1803. VLC just makes the screen go crazy. According to Reddit it's a DX11 issue. There are several Reddit threads about the nightmares of Ryzen Mobile, mostly by some guy with username /u/dan6erbond. One reason this is happening is that AMD refuses to allow it's own drivers from amd.com to be installed onto Ryzen Mobile laptops, and you need to rely on OEMs to get the update. The OEMs, as expected, didn't care. As a result, some Ryzen laptops are stuck with 2017 drivers as of today. The firmware updates to Ryzen Mobile is also pretty lackluster. In a nutshell, stuff just don't work. Premiere still purportedly crashes on Ryzen Mobile for example, although I don't use it.

The same threads claims that random BSODs is a common issue, although I have not personally experienced it.

Just buy the T430.

I bought a T420 a few weeks ago. I wish I could tell you to get it, user, but that screen is truly terrible. I genuinely have buyer's remorse and wish I had got an IPS X220 because that build quality and the keyboard are insanely good.

btw I think there's no driver for win 1809 yet, other thinkpads got new drivers (sccm) for 1809 couple of days ago, i guess i can wait.

Anyone use an eGPU with their thinkpad? I have an x220 and want to get a GPU to use with hashcat. Thinking of getting a 1050ti. Anyone do this or have any advice? What eGPU adaptor should I buy?

Attached: 1543158489984.jpg (1263x1920, 816K)

I bought a T410 from amazon.
It arrived a few days ago, but instead of getting a T410, i got a refurbished T420s with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD.
Should i complain to amazon, or should i keep it?

I spent 280 in total, shipping included

You know what?

I was fully on the /tpg/ meme about 2? years ago. I had been using a T60 for a while that was passed down to me that I thought was the best thing since sliced bread. Sure, it wasn't the fastest thing around, but it was dependable.

Then someone gave me their old 2013 MacBook Pro 13 inch. At first, I wasn't amused by the lack of ports (muh ethernet!!!). Then I was frustrated by OSX's handholding. But eventually, I came to basically stop using any of my other laptops. They were too big, or had terrible battery life, bad screens, or I just needed to use the native terminal and not whatever retarded shit you have to do to get a bash shell on Windows (ubuntu subsystem for linux? UWP apps? really????)

I have a 2017 touchbar mac at work and I despise it. 2013-2015 MBPs were truly the peak of Mac design. While I'll always have a soft spot for the T60/T61/T420, they are simply... outclassed.

Attached: same.jpg (1200x882, 121K)