/wdg/ - Web Development General

Still revamping the OP

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
theodinproject.com/ - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, Ruby on Rails, and SQL
hackr.io - collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg_young_terry.jpg (1148x917, 225K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.spring.io/spring-boot/docs/current/reference/htmlsingle/
website.tld:3000/
ant.design/
ant.design/components/button/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/
thebestmotherfucking.website/
0x0.st/sRIl.js
pastebin.com/rk6Sh6Gg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for spring boot

i registered some high quality domains with new extensions.

The .meme domains better not fail, because I want to use them for a short email address.

First for Terry
Also he would never even think about web dev

Replying in the new thread to you. Thank you for response. I think I've got all of those things down. I'm a young guy but am a very enthusiastic learner when it comes to stuff. Hence why I'm learning on my own. I'm also very hungry for more work and especially more technical work.

I feel like I'm able to read code and talk to developers already, as my friends are all developers and my interests are in tech and website building.

Thank you, I never really thought about these things before.

because he is retarded, that much is obvious

>mfw my internship was on a medium company 2 years ago and had to fix shit from old apps made with Java 7 and PHP 5.x
holy fuck I never want to use those languages ever again

Attached: their hopes and dreams gone.jpg (816x437, 39K)

Lmao lemme see your compiler and OS then fag?

>internship
Pathetic, working for another person's gain without monetary compensation...

Start your own business and cuck others with 'internships' like I am.

Attached: 1bnh1j.jpg (563x542, 37K)

I'm not retarded enough to rebuild the wheel hun
Stop idolizing a retard when your life is a fucking mess.

it was a paid internship at least but goddamn their apps were a fucking mess
Havne't touched PHP in a while, but some people said php 7 its miles better than it was.

>all internships are unpaid
???

believe me
I've seen people so desesperate for job experience they've worked for free.

I'll ask again since the other thread was dead when I asked.

How do functional languages structure their code? In OOB you have objects communicating with each other through public methods. Pretty much every Javascript plugin I've used has an object oriented API, where you instantiate the constructor with your own arguments. How would this work in a purely functional way? Every example I've seen of how you code in functional Javascript is pretty much just procedural programming with functions that return something and have no side effects.

>I'm not retarded enough to rebuild the wheel hun
Pleb

Not anyone worth their salt. Any self respecting dev knows to not take internships for free.

post the best spring boot learning resources

>Every example I've seen of how you code in functional Javascript is pretty much just procedural programming with functions that return something and have no side effects.
thats pretty much how it works

>$5,200 stipend
>paid housing, food, travel and vacation days
t-those poor fools...

so it's a bullshit meme then, no wonder it never took off in the industry

docs.spring.io/spring-boot/docs/current/reference/htmlsingle/

Can I get a part time gig just knowing JavaScript and HTML? I have 6 hours of free time at work and I want to double dip.

/dpt/ didn't help, so I'll repost here.

So I want to make my own website to write and host my own short stories on. I'm talking 1000-5000 WORD stories.
I don't have a ton of database experience, but I was thinking of storing the stories in a locally hosted one and was just wondering if anyone had any tips for this while I brainstorm how to implement it all. I think I can figure out the html and css on my own just fine, and the server-side stuff too since I have some experience on those points, but I've never stored huge-as-fuck walls of text in a database table before and I was just wondering how one would go about this.

Is it just as simple as saying "fuck it, just store a gorillion characters in this field of the table" per story?

I answered you on /dpt/ if you want to go back and check it out quick. But other anons here might have better solutions.

Add CSS to that list and yes, you can.

Thanks, I'll look into that stuff.

Is JS okay with machine learning or is it all Python

according to me you should use static site generator no database bs and simple and fast

any good document, tutorial or example of implementing OAuth2 ?

How common is the node + template engine combination in practice? I feel like I can get decent enough results with EJS to not even try to bother with the big frameworks currently.

this shit is pissing me off, does anyone know how to make a 3/4th circle with svg?

Recommend some telegram/slack/fagcord or any other chat about js/react/web in general. Tips if it's not full of pajeets or beginners.

Attached: mpv-shot0199.jpg (1920x1080, 190K)

take wordpress, it is exactly for
>I want a website but don't wanna to spend money for pros to make it and too retarded to make my own

not in 2019, learn any modern cms or framework

wdg discord

I'm on my second year of college and I'm getting desperate. I don't live on a tech hub, rarely I found any openings for interneship, so now I'm even applying for full time employment to see if I can land on anything. I'm afraid I'm get out of college and never be able to find any work, also, I'm 23 yo, so I'm also ashamed of not working right now.

Just kill yourself, my dude. Not your hugbox.

Attached: mpv-shot0017.jpg (1920x1080, 239K)

holy shit, you're an edgy faggot
either you're actually 15 year old, or mentally 15 year old. fucking Jow Forums autists.

He's right you know. You're not asking any questions or talking about webdev at all. You're just shitting up this thread.

How did /wdg/ got into laravel?

If it's any consolation, I was the same age as you when I started (late) and I lived in a fucking backwater town with almost no jobs. After graduating what I did was work remotely for a couple of years, save some money and move to an actual tech hub.

Don't feel any shame for not working at the moment, having a job and studying is too stressful anyways.

when laravel 4 was the hype in 2012.

it took me 3 contract jobs and 2 years being out of school before I got a full time dev job, and my internship was in junior year of college. it may take time but it'll happen. you may need to apply outside of your city, a lot of companies who want you will offer relocation bonuses
just study for the interview but most importantly MAKE CONNECTIONS and work on a portfolio
those two parts will help you more than anything else; getting a job is more who you know than what you know, and employers in the the tech space REALLY like to see published source code, even if it's shit. 3 github repos with mid size projects is more than a majority of applicants

i developed a strong encryption algorithm a while back as a java file, and i am currently in the process of converting it into a web script (upload the file, download the encrypted version)

i'm following the route of making the whole site through flask, is this the best way to go about it or should i use the completed java file instead of remaking the entire program?

does nginx strip cors headers? I had my app working fine on my machine, but when I put it onto AWS I keep getting this

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at website.tld:3000/

I have an express server running on port 3000 and a react app running, and nginx as a reverse proxy

Use either a CMS or Static Site Generator.
Would suggest a static site generator. Less moving parts, tons of free themes, easy even for non-technical people.
Each individual blog file would be like its own database entry anyway.

Stop overthinking things and just focus on getting your degree.
Just make sure you have a portfolio of programming projects to show off to potential employers before you graduate.

"hurr I'm too old, I should be working by now" nigger you're in college. The entire point of it is to get educated so you can pursue a career in your chosen field. Your learning is your work.

I didn't. Why would you ever use that steaming pile of shit

>i developed a strong encryption algorithm a while back as a java file, and i am currently in the process of converting it into a web script (upload the file, download the encrypted version)
I've been looking for something like this. Does anyone have a solution or an article or something? All I seem to find is stuff about encrypting text.

you gotta enable header passing otherwise they get stripped yeah

proxy_pass_request_headers on;

You're fine, I'll be 27 when I get my Bachelors but I'm not sweating it since I'm building a portfolio and studying leetcode. People much older than us find work.

Also if there's no jobs in your area don't be afraid to look at other states. I'm aiming for Seattle myself and it's on the other side of the country (NY fag).

>Why would you ever use that steaming pile of shit
because i got my first job in web dev and the project is all laravel + vue so I have to learn it asapp

Terry wouldn't get caught dead doing webdev more than he absolutely had to. Absolutely heretical

>first job
>laravel + vue
You got some shit job right there, lmao.

Attached: 1544738581497.png (238x639, 207K)

At least i have a job you neet

Keep telling yourself that, codemonkey.
People with real jobs don't use tools that are tantamount to rinky dink children's bikes with training wheels.

Attached: __suiseiseki_rozen_maiden__4352c5254202c5f9d5e9364f21087a56.png (1600x1200, 431K)

>implying

Attached: mpv-shot0200.jpg (1920x1080, 188K)

I just found out about asyn await in JavaScript. My long ass promise chain is gone, just like that.
This is a beautiful moment I'm having right now.

I'll get a better job eventually, once I get a few years of experience in web dev under my belt.
But when are you going to leave your mom's basement?

>just a few years in retarded company and I'll show you!
I raised my salary 3x in my first working year by switching companies 4 times and didn't have to do shit work that no one except desperate brainlet juniors want to do.

Attached: mpv-shot0019.jpg (1920x1080, 160K)

thanks, that worked

Attached: 1527123912092.jpg (680x544, 33K)

That's what separates the professionals from the wannabe developers. When Terry worked at TicketMaster he built his own compiler from scratch for embedded equipment.

Yep, I implemented it earlier today in my code for the first time. Beautiful, isn't it?

Very beautiful, I had a massive grin on my face when it, put simply, just worked.

What is the way of uploading video through form and uploading its link to database then on the other page will be output of all these videos, which were uploaded by users??

using PHP, not any wordpress advices pls

>using php
node.js is the language of today

I fucking hate CSS. It's like one of the most important parts of the job, but I'm a brainlet, and it slows me the hell down.

dude, if I had an another option I would go with python and django but unfortunately I do not, the project has to be primary written in php

Hot tip to people learning node: learn typscript. You don't have to be an expert
with webpack, but at least be able to configure the basics.

Don't concentrate on "business" logic of whatever crud thing
you're doing. Make sure tests work, make sure error handling and logging is going on.

Start to move into docker, and not necessariy micro services, but know
simple CI stuff with jenkins.

Why do the STATIC_ROOT and MEDIA_ROOT variables need to be different in Django?
I have two folders in the BASE_DIR, for static and media. What does Django have against using the same directory for the roots?

Do you even have a job?

is there any text editor (not an IDE) which supports heredoc PHP? so far I was not even able to find any script which would provide such support for either Sublime or VS Code

>being over the age of 17
>watching and posting weebshit
yikes

What are some minimal, high-information density CSS frameworks to use with react?

A good example is Twitch.tv, the buttons aren't 2 inches wide and transition animations are kept to a minimum. They are using react, but seem to have rolled their own ui framework from scratch.

semantic

I've checked it out already, looks good but apparently being deprecated in favor of stardust-ui

ring-ui is pretty compact

Thanks, for a fully-featured components library it seems to be closest to what I'm looking for.
I've also been looking at barebones css frameworks like spectre / tailwindcss. I want high customizability but I'm not sure how much more work will be needed for going down this route .

>I was not even able to find any script which would provide such support for either Sublime

>be you
>write a plugin that does that
>put it on GitHub
>other users will want it too
>????????
>profit

Holy Beautiful

I've almost did this a few times. Just to say "I worked as a developer at company X" on my resume. Instead, I built shit myself, gained users, and that is my experience.

One of my first encounters with programming was a Python text-adventure game. I gave up Python, though, and started messing around with JavaScript. Building websites was instant, easy, etc. It's been 7 years, and I'm sick of web development. I just started learning Python again, and holy fuck, I love it. I'm writing some web scraping tools, and this shit is just sick.
Also getting into bug bounty programs, I've managed to find 3 within the last 4 months(part-time).

Anyway, web dev is fucking ridiculous. If you're a noob, don't go any further. If you're like me, why the fuck are you still making websites?

Get the fuck out and go back where you came from normalfag

Attached: 1546531420859.jpg (800x584, 106K)

you right dawg

Attached: 1542797680701.jpg (512x512, 73K)

>javascript
>python
>noob
pick all of the above

How did you manage to write code for 7 years and not try and pick up a proper language?

Ant design seems up your alley, ant.design/
example: ant.design/components/button/

Fuck I am just looking for a simple answer to what 'synchronous' and 'asynchronous' means in JavaScript and it seems like the entire internet is intent on giving the most frustrating and vague explanations on what the simple definition of it is.

In JS /wdg/, am I right in saying that asyncronous code is something which is guaranteed to resolve before the next block of code starts to run? So if you need to grab some data or something like that which may take a while, you'd write an async function to do it and then task '.then()' onto the end to handle whatever result comes out of that fetching action (whether it is the data itself or an error)?

Please just explain the definition as simply as you can. Don't link to MDN or any of that shit. They all go out of their way not to explain it but to use stupid analogies and frustrating answers.

what exactley is your problem you seem to know when to use asynchronous code in js. the then() part is a way of handling async code. you use then() when you are dealing with Promises

synchronous code happens in sequence
async code happens at the bottom of the call stack so they essentially happen independently of each other, but an async function allows the use of await within it, used to a variable assignment. all that does is "pause" the javascript in the function until you resolve a promise or an error from a function and assign it to the variable

In Node.js's fs (filesystem) module, some functions have both a synchronous version which returns results directly, and an asynchronous version which passes the result to a specified callback.

In this example I'm just going to use callbacks, since I think it's easier to start with the fundamentals and introduce promises (.then() and related) once you understand the basics.

Reading a file synchronously:
let fileData = fs.readFileSync("data.txt");
console.log(fileData);

console.log("next line");

/* OUTPUT:
>> data from text file ...
>> next line
*/

Reading a file asynchronously:
fs.readFile("data.txt", function(fileData) {
console.log(fileData);
});

console.log("next line");

/* OUTPUT:
>> next line
>> data from text file ...
*/

With both functions, it takes some time to read in the data from the text file. In the synchronous case, all execution is paused until the file is done being read in. Then, once it's done, it moves on to the next line.

In the asynchronous case, the task is started in the background, but we don't wait for it. We just move onto the next line, and keep going. When the task completes, it will call the function we specified inline, and at that point we can actually use the file data.

The synchronous code is easier to work with, since you won't need to think about callbacks and stuff. But no other code will get executed, so it you do this often, you'll have bad performance. And in the browser if you do something synchronously (e.g. a web request) the user won't be able to interact with the page until the operation completes.

>In JS /wdg/, am I right in saying that asyncronous code is something which is guaranteed to resolve before the next block of code starts to run?
No, quite the opposite, it'll run the next blocks of code without waiting for the asynchronous code to resolve.

>So if you need to grab some data or something like that which may take a while, you'd write an async function to do it and then task '.then()' onto the end to handle whatever result comes out of that fetching action (whether it is the data itself or an error)?
Yes. You can't call an asynchronous function and do something with the result in the next line (since your program won't wait for the asynchronous function to resolve before running the next lines of code). Therefore, in order to handle asynchronous functions you either pass a callback function as an argument to handle them (this function will be called when the async code resolves), e.g. setTimeout(function() { console.log('foo') }, 1000), the first argument is the callback, which will be called after setTimeout resolves.

Or, in other cases, the function will return a Promise, in which case you append a .then(function() { console.log('foo') }) instead.

Built-in JavaScript functions don't return Promises so you don't have to worry about it. External libraries may return Promises, or they'll want you to pass a callback as an argument the usual way, just read the documentation and you'll know.

Good answers, thank you guys very much.

It's just something I needed actual clarification about, somebody to explain it clearly.

motherfuckingwebsite.com/
can this be added to OP?

thebestmotherfucking.website/

how do I optimize this
0x0.st/sRIl.js

there you go

pastebin.com/rk6Sh6Gg

>0x0.st/sRIl.js -> 70 KB
>pastebin.com/rk6Sh6Gg -> 20 KB

tell me if it works

does this website's web design count as retro?

nah

retro would be late 80's or 90's

this website is early 2000's

Hello, I have a problem regarding fullpage.js. Basically, the scrolling is fucked up. Scrolling down works fine, but whenever I scroll up, the section above gets a gap in the bottom, which fucks up the layout. Only happens on chrome mobile. Any idea how to fix?

I have made static sites before, I am wondering how much it would cost to have someone put a backend on a site of mine that allowed user creation and commenting. How much would it cost to replicate the functionality of this site today:

fark.com